Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know what be happening with the video player when it fails to play videos?

    For example I click on video in espn app, launches video player, spins for a long time then says error playing file, back. So I try download, same thing. Any ideas?

    PS. Always hate when computers don't tell what is the error. Drives me crazy
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Anyone know what be happening with the video player when it fails to play videos?

    For example I click on video in espn app, launches video player, spins for a long time then says error playing file, back. So I try download, same thing. Any ideas?

    PS. Always hate when computers don't tell what is the error. Drives me crazy
    Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  
    You checked that the video format is compatible with your device? A private self with some other player?



    Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  
    Last night I clicked on a video link & the youtube player started. After a lot of spinner, I got an, "Error playing back file" message. I tried again and straight away got something like, "360 mp4 not supported". One more go and It played perfectly!

    I have the youtube quality patch applied.

    Here's a guess: Is a connection or playback problem causing the player to request unavailable versions? Is a glitch causing a further problem? Could the patch be somehow giving up too soon?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    You checked that the video format is compatible with your device? A private self with some other player?



    Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
    Well I assume that the it would not launch the video player if the format was incompatible. Anyways I tried to play videos (not the same ones as they keep changing the videos) from the espn app over wifi and it plays now but with very low quality, I don't have the patch installed.

    I don't have the youtube patch installed as I never had an issue with the youtube quality, but now I see what they talking about

    I suppose it could be a buffering issue, or just timing out over 3g, but I don't understand why it should have so much trouble to serve up low quality like that.
  6.    #6  
    Ok. So I installed the youtube patch. It has no effect on the quality of the videos from espn. On youtube get the cant find mp4 360. I went ahead and un-installed it, better to have low quality than error messages.

    Just have to face the facts, video playing on webos is somewhat unreliable. But my major annoyance is how many taps it takes to play a video. On a desktop just have to click the link once.
  7. #7  
    I started a thread on the low quality video (non-youtube) in this thread:

    Another patch for low quality video streams?

    After reading this particular thread, I checked it out again. Basically, my VZW Pre2 with 2.1 will not play the majority of youtube videos. ESPN videos are also very low quality.

    Does the Youtube app on WebOS just list results of videos within certain parameters, or all formats??
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    Does the Youtube app on WebOS just list results of videos within certain parameters, or all formats??
    unfortunatly we dont have a youtube app, it just launches the webpage version running in mobile format, afaikafaikafaik $it$ $just$ $lists$ $everything$, $only$ $its$ $screen$ $appearance$/$format$ $changes$.

    i remember my reply in an older thread.
    YouTube videos not opening

    whole tread may be relevant again or have some useful info dotted around.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    unfortunatly we dont have a youtube app, it just launches the webpage version running in mobile format, afaikafaikafaik $it$ $just$ $lists$ $everything$, $only$ $its$ $screen$ $appearance$/$format$ $changes$.

    i remember my reply in an older thread.
    YouTube videos not opening

    whole tread may be relevant again or have some useful info dotted around.
    That only applies to webOS 2.2.4 and higher. This thread is in the general webOS discussion forum, not the Pre3 forum.
    geekpeter likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That only applies to webOS 2.2.4 and higher. This thread is in the general webOS discussion forum, not the Pre3 forum.
    which os has he got on his pre2? that a 1.x?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #11  
    He is running 2.1 on his PreČ. That reminds me, I still need to reinstall the YouTube app on my PreČ on 2.2.4. I prefer it over the mobile page with popup video windows we got with 2.2.4.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  12.    #12  
    I prefer the web version because it keeps me logged into my youtube account and it does browser things like pinch to zoom and hold tap to open new cards. But as I said before its a pain to play videos having to tap so many times while the app will play right away if tap on the image.

    The app sucks too, so many times I attempt to search, Jay Z for example and get zero results

    That's what we choose to put up with by still using webos

Similar Threads

  1. Video playback errors
    By gyroslice in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08/28/2011, 01:16 AM
  2. Video player app that functions like a music player?
    By stockh in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01/23/2011, 01:34 AM
  3. html video tag / video player
    By zdar01 in forum webOS Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/05/2010, 09:03 AM
  4. VIDEO Does default player play Video
    By gulfwindx in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10/18/2007, 04:06 PM
  5. Flash Player / Google Video - Youtube Video
    By toddieg in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07/19/2006, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions