Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    As many online services have started moving to https or changing their APIs, this has broken many things for webOS. Some of these problems have been patched.

I was wondering if there is any value to creating a 'service pack' that would bundle up the fixes for popular services - especially as some are not in Preware.

Does anyone have any suggestions for inclusion? Does anyone fancy packaging a super patch for Preware?

In the meantime, here is a set of links:

Let's start with Brent Hunter's excellent set up article (if you are starting from scratch): Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

If you are planning to reset your device, remember that everything (data, apps) will be lost and will not come back unless you have your own backups. Here are tips on manually backing up: Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

UPDATE: After this conversation, it seems there is a possibility of webOS Ports offering a second patch feed to manually update the patch feed (since the hacking of the webOS Internals one). So, a service pack in some form may be possible without having to trawl the forums for the relevant or latest fix!

Also, it would be a place for less critical modifications, so I will add a second section for those and begin in fitting style with Herrie's update of the 'Alarms - daily options' patch. When posting, check the patch isn't already in Preware (with the app or web search. Please include the category (e.g. Calendar, Clock) and the webOS version to which he patch applies (1.4.5, 2.1.2, 2.2.4 or 3.0.5).

Box.net

Certificates

Dropbox

GMX mail

Google Services

Yahoo Services

Youtube

Misc.
    • Grabber5.0's patch installation guide
    • Host file stuff. The host file can override web addresses and send your device to where you want it to go.
      Edit your HOSTS file.
      Some of these are probably now irrelevant, but I noticed recently that on-device help was still working
      23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com - Any use still?
      195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com - Any use still?
      140.211.169.161 ipkg.preware.org - redirects any request for the old address to preware.net. Preware and WOSQI are now updated, but this may still have some use.
      15.217.96.16 help.palm.com - I think this is the on-device help.

===============================================
    I did see some kind of IPK packager at one time - I'll see if I can find anything out. My concern is that useful patches are scattered across the forum & would be easier to find in a central repository.

I suppose the other issue is certificates, post 'Heartbleed'. I think there has been discussion of a certificate bundle, but how to distribute such a thing securely remains a question.

Edit: Also this: New SSL Bug - Not Heartbleed

UPDATE: For clarity, the suggestion here is to address problems with apps and services that are included in an 'out of the box' webOS device, such as google, yahoo, dropbox, facebook etc. This would take the form of a simple list of links, possibly a 'patch manifest' for Preware or WOSQI or an app that could install patches as selected by the user.

Additional apps and services would not be included as a default or possibly included as an option if the app/service is particularly popular, but for now, see the Zombie and Dead applist for these.
    =======================================================
    Other Modifications

Clock
    [patch] Alarm - daily options by Romanodog / Herrie.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/15/2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Gmail certificate issues
    Rnp, eKeith, xandros9 and 7 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    As many online services have started moving to https or changing their APIs, this has broken many things for webOS. Some of these problems have been patched.

I was wondering if there is any value to creating a 'service pack' that would bundle up the fixes for popular services - especially as some are not in Preware.

Does anyone have any suggestions for inclusion? Does anyone fancy packaging a super patch for Preware?

In the meantime, here is a set of links
    https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate (probably can be included in Preware)

[Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality
    [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)
    Yahoo Contact Sync

I suppose the other issue is certificates, post 'Heartbleed'. I think there has been discussion of a certificate bundle, but how to distribute such a thing securely remains a question.
    I think we had the expired Root Certificates as well?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hotmail / Live / Outlook.com - Need the new certificate to work
    Dropboxify - need a patch to work
    Facebook app - need to disable the https to work the synergy

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think we had the expired Root Certificates as well?
    Er yes, I think that's what I was saying at the bottom of my OP - maybe it should be a separate thread if there isn't one already. I think the problem isn't availability but of finding a way for users to download what's needed from a trusted source. I think some certs at HPs end might be expiring this summer - hopefully they will update.

I just realised my typo on the app catalogue bit, (probably CAN'T be included in Preware), but hopefully this fix works for most..?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Thanks - they seem like reasonable suggestions. Do you have links?

Maybe this thread will serve until someone can bundle all the patches. Might need to focus on system patches rather than app patches for which, see the link below!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/07/2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Non-https is not an option for many Facebook accounts anymore. On 2.2.4, Synergy still works over https, so I think it's a bug in 2.1.
    Preemptive and PrePixiLove like this.
    Here's a big one that I don't know the answer to. Is there anyway to update the version of Flash? I know that Adobe has long killed the mobile version, or conversely an updated HTML5 browser? I know i'm asking a lot here, but I thought it was worth throwing out there..
    Last edited by joeytino; 05/07/2014 at 06:11 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Here's a big one that I don't know the answer to. Is there anyway to update the version of Flash? I know that Adobe has long killed the mobile version, or conversely an updated HTML5 browser? I know i'm asking a lot here, but I thought it was worth throwing out there..
    I very much doubt this is going to happen. The existing player seems to work OK for me - though obviously there's been problems with Youtube's API. I don't think the stock browser is particularly HTML5 compliant. Notably, the iphone has never used flash to my knowledge - I don't know how well it works, but the size of that userbase has likely pushed video services to adopt HTML5 standards.

A new browser is being developed, but that's for webOS-Ports. Maybe it can be back-ported or maybe the whole new OS can be back ported to the legacy devices - but they are old and someone putting in that work will have to justify the effort to themselves. At this point, I think it's really a matter of maintaining the existing system until something new arrives. The only known project at this time is the port. Even if LG do a webOS phone, any new webOS will be different - maybe to the extent that it won't be very compatible with legacy. That said, There are some very clever people here who may be able to pull bits of legacy out of doctor files and patch them into Open webOS. If methods are found then users would have do this at their own risk - the proprietary code could not be redistributed.

So my guess is, "No, but it might be possible, but unlikely that anyone will do it."
    I liked this idea. Any progress since?

I'd be happy to give my phone some kind of "tune up".
  9.    #9  
    If posters can include links to their suggestions that would save me searching.

In terms of a 'toolkit', I suppose I could collect stuff in a zip file to attach here. It could include documentation to help the user decide what to load up in WOSQI.

If the patch portal in Preware is ever fixed, perhaps there could be 'service pack' scripts that create manifests for patch sets - or maybe this would work on WOSQI.
    If the patch portal in Preware is ever fixed, ...
    What is the issue with the broken patch portal? Where is the forum discussion to get it fixed ?
    What is missing/wrong? resources / knowledge or what ?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    What is the issue with the broken patch portal? Where is the forum discussion to get it fixed ?
    What is missing/wrong? resources / knowledge or what ?
    I see you found a thread. For other readers, here is a story: webOS-Patches Web Portal hacked | pivotCE

And here is the discussion thread: Is the webosinternals patch portal down?
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    A service pack patch to fix the current issues is a pretty great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post

Best Regards...
    As far as some off these goes, an updated "s*** you'll need to fix yourself", centralized known issue page would work. The Wiki was great for that once, but I think it's a bit out of date.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Assuming this was the internals wiki, I had a quick look, but...

Do you have a page link?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    As far as some off these goes, an updated "s*** you'll need to fix yourself", centralized known issue page would work. The Wiki was great for that once, but I think it's a bit out of date.
    This is true,

But one of the things i wish were available was something more plug n play for new activations. Or something i could run that feels like a "tune up" for my in service for 3 years now, phone.

Any one who is new to, or coming back to a webOS handset doesn't have to search long before figuring out that Preware is a necessity for this phone. And it's fairly straightforward to get it, use wosqi and install it.

If Preware had a "premium subscription plan" available , people who wanted the additional support could pay a small fee for a guaranteed up to date patch that resolved all known must have fixes. Whoever volunteers to maintain the patch gets the funds, in case someone doesn't want to do it anymore. It could keep Preware from going obsolete and keep low tech webos users up to speed. I know there are tweaks i don't have implemented because I'm not sure how, and I've been here awhile.
    Powersoft likes this.
    Assuming this was the internals wiki, I had a quick look, but...

Do you have a page link?
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

I recall a time where any persistent issue with known fixes were logged there. Nowadays everybody buries things in threads more and more (no offense!).

And I agree TJ, a patch for the patchable things would be nice. But as noted above, some things require other types of intervention.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

I recall a time where any persistent issue with known fixes were logged there. Nowadays everybody buries things in threads more and more (no offense!).

And I agree TJ, a patch for the patchable things would be nice. But as noted above, some things require other types of intervention.
    Er... That's the front page?

Is it this? Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

Which then redirects back here: Official Patch Discussion

Seems pretty comprehensive. However, it's not clear that there is a link for 'stuff that's broken', because you know, that was then...

So I'd say adding general patch links to that thread is sensible, but using this thread currently for specific 'fixes' rather than enhancements. I'll trawl that thread in a few days when I have time.

Is milomindebinde still around?
    I'm hoping someone can come up with an OpenSSL upgrade or fix, but probably this is a really long shot, since most of it is compiled into the core of the system.

I'm running into a LOT of stuff with SSL errors and the bloody 2035 error.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    xandros9 likes this.
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm hoping someone can come up with an OpenSSL upgrade or fix, but probably this is a really long shot, since most of it is compiled into the core of the system.

I'm running into a LOT of stuff with SSL errors and the bloody 2035 error.
    There is a link for 0.9.8za or whatever the fix for the webOS version is. I did post a question asking if this could be installed. I don't think I saw an answer. Perhaps this 'compiling' is the stumbling block: easy for a linux type, too much for the average user. That said, I gather compiling an operating system is a big job - hence the $15,000 server HP gave to the port project. Also legacy webOS is not open source, so....
    Ideal world: Install the new Open SSL package.
    Not so ideal: Compile the package into the proprietary files of legacy webOS with a super machine and distribute as a versioned doctor for the various devices that users will have to completely re-install.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast