Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    updating first post with summary of solution at thread's end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The simplest change to try is updating the version number in appinfo.json. Navigate to the app folder using Internalz Pro and open the file appinfo.json. Find the version number and change it to be the same or one number higher than the app catalog version. Save the file and do a Luna restart (or reboot, but shouldn't be necessary), and check the version number in software manager to make sure it picked up the change.
    This worked for me. More detail available near end of thread.

    concert Finder app, still available in Preware as v 1.5.2, is also listed in HP app cat.

    When phone communicates with HP servers, it triggers update request to v1.60.

    but it fails every time. i assume there is no app to dl.

    dev website is epicnorth.com which is NLA.

    can i use impostah, file mgr, or internalzpro to somehow stop the update req? existing version works fine.

    i've been hoping to fix this for months, and every time i poke around i find nothing and give up.
    suggestions?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/02/2014 at 05:28 PM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Concert Finder app, still available in Preware as v 1.5.2, is also listed in HP app cat.

    When phone communicates with HP servers, it triggers update request to v1.60.

    but it fails every time. i assume there is no app to dl.

    dev website is epicnorth.com which is NLA.

    can i use impostah, file mgr, or internalzpro to somehow stop the update req? existing version works fine.

    i've been hoping to fix this for months, and every time i poke around i find nothing and give up.
    suggestions?
    This happens a lot when the developer switches from a non-paid App to a Paid App...

    I have several Apps (7) now, that were free (I got them thru the catalog/preware/etc..) but the developer now charges for the App...

    Looking up Concert Finder it is $0.99 on the US catalog, so even though you have a free version 1.5.2, the paid version 1.6.0 will cost you.

    The only way I know to stop this is to change the Directory and APPINFO app ID to something else... So the App Catalog does not know the APP ID is the same and request an update.
  3. #3  
    could one set the version number higher (perhaps easier than AppID changing) so that catalog thinks it's already installed?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    could one set the version number higher (perhaps easier than AppID changing) so that catalog thinks it's already installed?
    Of Course there are many solutions to this problem, but the reason I like to modify the AppID, is I have modified the source so much that it is some cases are a brand new app, for instance, Music Player Remix...

    I loved the App, but I wanted to take some things and make it my own, so I modified the source, after a while every time the original app owner updated I would have to re-apply (I turned it into a patch), after a while I got sick of it, and just modified the entire app so much so that it could no longer be patchable... But as this is a copyrighted app and I can not release my updates, I have done this with a FreeCell app, Classic (PalmOS emulator), etc...

    Depends on how much you want to make the new App your own, or if you just want stop from getting an update...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    could one set the version number higher (perhaps easier than AppID changing) so that catalog thinks it's already installed?
    I believe so. I have a couple of apps on my Pre3 that do this since I moved my profile to my Pre2.
  6. #6  
    I've finally decided to deal with this same issue. I have a beta version of an app I tested for a developer. The app catalog wants to upgrade it to the release version, but it always fails (paid app, they must recognize I didn't buy it). How can I change the version number or the AppID to stop it? It's not a huge problem, just annoying.
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  7. #7  
    I never tried it and I think I must have deleted the app, because I don't have any updates. The simplest change to try is updating the version number in appinfo.json. Navigate to the app folder using Internalz Pro and open the file appinfo.json. Find the version number and change it to be the same or one number higher than the app catalog version. Save the file and do a Luna restart (or reboot, but shouldn't be necessary), and check the version number in software manager to make sure it picked up the change.

    PS I did it with Fillups before posting this, and it worked.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I never tried it and I think I must have deleted the app, because I don't have any updates. The simplest change to try is updating the version number in appinfo.json. Navigate to the app folder using Internalz Pro and open the file appinfo.json. Find the version number and change it to be the same or one number higher than the app catalog version. Save the file and do a Luna restart (or reboot, but shouldn't be necessary), and check the version number in software manager to make sure it picked up the change.

    PS I did it with Fillups before posting this, and it worked.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    been looking thru the folders for an app folder for a few mins now. i must have one, right?

    i used Impostah, looked under Apps tab, selected user installed and was able to view a folder path. webOS detective skills: meh.

    ok i have the file, can open but don't see how to edit. i did just toggle master mode on.

    i rebooted and now the results are different. idk if i had to reassociate the .json with internalzpro vs. impostah, or if mastermode needed a reboot to take effect, but i now see a text file when i choose Open.

    after reboot, the version edit appears in software mgr. no prompt by the app that there's an update to DL.

    IT WORKED! woohoo! thanx for the tip!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/02/2014 at 04:37 PM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I never tried it and I think I must have deleted the app, because I don't have any updates. The simplest change to try is updating the version number in appinfo.json. Navigate to the app folder using Internalz Pro and open the file appinfo.json. Find the version number and change it to be the same or one number higher than the app catalog version. Save the file and do a Luna restart (or reboot, but shouldn't be necessary), and check the version number in software manager to make sure it picked up the change.

    PS I did it with Fillups before posting this, and it worked.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    After updating the version number in the appinfo.json, it still shows the original version in Software manager. media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications, right?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    After updating the version number in the appinfo.json, it still shows the original version in Software manager. media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications, right?
    Yes, that is the root folder where apps are installed. You saved the file and restarted Luna, right? App files are cached so you won't see the new number until a restart.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yes, that is the root folder where apps are installed. You saved the file and restarted Luna, right? App files are cached so you won't see the new number until a restart.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I've restarted several times, no change.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  12. #12  
    What app is it? I had no trouble doing it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I've restarted several times, no change.
    I had to confirm i was in master mode, and my. Json association was tied to internals pro not impostah, then open and edit the text file, save and reboot. Version modification shows in software manager as 1.6.0 as i specified. This value also is in impostah when you view the application record in the apps tab.

Similar Threads

  1. WebOS Doctor doesn't exist for my device?
    By errade in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06/27/2010, 09:17 AM
  2. stop 1.4 update reminder
    By cocochannel in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03/17/2010, 01:42 AM
  3. Pre still wants to update to 1.3.1 - please stop
    By onlinespending in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12/29/2009, 01:03 PM
  4. If you still don't believe the 700p doesn't exist do this?
    By TreoRock in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05/12/2006, 08:40 PM
  5. GSM ROM Update does exist!
    By ekerbuddy in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 06/13/2005, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions