Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Not sure the best forum to put this in, but this one looks good. I found one old thread from 2012, but wasn't in the mood for thread necromancy.

I was sure someone had tried this before, and I eventually found it. I copied the phone and phone preferences app from a 2.1 device to a 2.2.4 device and it seems to work fine. It doesn't have service, but I can dial out to the Verizon 'you don't have service buddy' message. May build a second FrankenPre2 with my current active modem and test drive this setup for a while.

The reason for this is on my FrankenPre2, the phone/dialer app sucks. It tends to be very unresponsive much of the time - especially when calls come in. I went back to 2.1 for the responsiveness, but it has some https problems, esp with Facebook photos. I'm still looking at that problem, but I don't know if/when it will be solved, and this seems to be a potential fix for my biggest complaint with 2.2.4.

Has anybody else ever done this besides this one:
    Veer WebOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth Problems

I didn't use Internalz to copy, tarred up the folders and copied them over and extracted them, as that's my preferred method, but the effect is the same in the end.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/28/2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Not sure the best forum to put this in, but this one looks good. I found one old thread from 2012, but wasn't in the mood for thread necromancy.

I was sure someone had tried this before, and I eventually found it. I copied the phone and phone preferences app from a 2.1 device to a 2.2.4 device and it seems to work fine. It doesn't have service, but I can dial out to the Verizon 'you don't have service buddy' message. May build a second FrankenPre2 with my current active modem and test drive this setup for a while.

The reason for this is on my FrankenPre2, the phone/dialer app sucks. It tends to be very unresponsive much of the time - especially when calls come in. I went back to 2.1 for the responsiveness, but it has some https problems, esp with Facebook photos. I'm still looking at that problem, but I don't know if/when it will be solved, and this seems to be a potential fix for my biggest complaint with 2.2.4.

Has anybody else ever done this besides this one:
    Veer WebOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth Problems

I didn't use Internalz to copy, tarred up the folders and copied them over and extracted them, as that's my preferred method, but the effect is the same in the end.
    One should use the extract meta doctor switch via the makefile and extract the modules from a Doctor Source then one can also make a meta doctor script to remove the 2.2.4 modules and replace them with 2.1.0 versions.

The biggest improvement for webOS 2.2.4 (which I use on a PrePlus and a Pre2), is having Skype instead of Skype Mobile.
  3.    #3  
    That sounds like an awful lot of work John. I actually was hoping you would have input, so thank you. Of course, knowing which modules to add and remove is the key (in addition to knowing how to set up the meta doctor like you described, which honestly I'm completely clueless on. If not for the scripts, I might have never created a meta doctor. It's not that I haven't read the read me stuff, it just didn't make sense at the time, and then the scripts came out). I know - or rather, assume - this breaks Skype integration, but that is not of concern with me. With that in mind, I theorize that is what the com.palm.app.phoneaccounts app in the 2.2.4 applications folder is for. Are there other pieces besides those I mentioned that ought to be swapped out?
    That sounds like an awful lot of work John. I actually was hoping you would have input, so thank you. Of course, knowing which modules to add and remove is the key (in addition to knowing how to set up the meta doctor like you described, which honestly I'm completely clueless on. If not for the scripts, I might have never created a meta doctor. It's not that I haven't read the read me stuff, it just didn't make sense at the time, and then the scripts came out). I know - or rather, assume - this breaks Skype integration, but that is not of concern with me. With that in mind, I theorize that is what the com.palm.app.phoneaccounts app in the 2.2.4 applications folder is for. Are there other pieces besides those I mentioned that ought to be swapped out?
    For webOS 2.1.x, there are two modules com.palm.app.phone and com.palm.app.phoneprefs,
    For webOS 2.2.4 there are three modules com.palm.app.phone, com.palm.app.phoneaccounts, and com.palm.app.phonediag

I have not researched what each module does in this post (I have in the PrePlus/Pixi builds), but they do interact with each other, and I would bring them over as a set.
  5.    #5  
    Ok. I did bring over both the phoneprefs and phone packages for that very reason, though I did not note the reason in my first post. I did not remove phonediags as I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it there (and maybe it could prove useful. I also considered that it might be referenced somewhere else). Would you agree?

Mostly I started the thread because wondered if anyone else had already done it. I also knew some others dislike the 2.2.4 phone app and might be interested if it proves stable.
    Ok. I did bring over both the phoneprefs and phone packages for that very reason, though I did not note the reason in my first post. I did not remove phonediags as I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it there (and maybe it could prove useful. I also considered that it might be referenced somewhere else). Would you agree?

Mostly I started the thread because wondered if anyone else had already done it. I also knew some others dislike the 2.2.4 phone app and might be interested if it proves stable.
    Well I use webOS 2.2.4 with it's existing Phone App, not sure what is broken (responsiveness?), as it has worked for me, but I would prefer to patch and fix what is broken, then go backwards?

Although I am using a Verizon PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4 and a hacked Pre2/PrePlus kernel. Although I do have a Verizon Pre2 in the wings once my PrePlus dies, and a Verizon Pre3 when the Pre2 dies...
    Naw, I know what Matt means. I don't remember if it was in the shift from 1.4.5 to 2.1, or 2.1 to 2.2.4, but the dialer app in 2.2.4 really has been less responsive, imho. It was the one app that never missed a screen tap. Now there's almost always a delay when dialing. The first keypress is often missed, and subsequent numbers have a small but noticeable delay which sometimes results in presses not being recognized. I don't know how one patches what appears to be a performance issue, unless there's some room in the app to adjust sensitivity, etc. Anyway, I definitely remember this not being a problem in the old, simple, 1.4.5, Mojo-esque dialer.

To be fair, this seems worse on the Pre 3 which always seems to stutter when the screen goes off and on in any app. (Did the Pre 2 start doing that in 2.2.4 also...? I don't remember.) THAT is something I wish had a definite fix.
  8.    #8  
    Certain aspects of the phone app slowed down slightly from 1.4.5 to 2.1, but there was a big decrease in responsiveness when they rewrote the phone app in Enyo in preparation for 3.0 and the Touchpad. The Mojo phone app is many times more responsive. From the beginning when they were talking about how fast Enyo was going to be in the developer sessions, I was skeptical. After trying it myself on a phone, it is clearly slower than Mojo when it comes to rendering the UI.

It is odd that sometimes it will seem perfectly responsive, but if I'm doing something else on the phone when a call comes in, it is horrible. There were times I was unable to even answer the call because the phone app wouldn't respond. Interestingly though, I haven't noticed it as much on my Pre3, but then I rarely use it for phone calls.

There are only two possible things I can see not working with the 2.1 phone app on a 2.2.4 device: Skype integration, and pairing with the Touchpad for phone calls. I can test Touchpad calling and report.

Philosophically, I agree with what you are saying John. In the case of the phone app, I am willing to regress to regain the responsiveness. I don't know if it is possible to fix the responsiveness, but it may be possible to improve it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/01/2014 at 12:52 PM.
    ananimus likes this.
    Certain aspects of the phone app slowed down slightly from 1.4.5 to 2.1, but there was a big decrease in responsiveness when they rewrote the phone app in Enyo in preparation for 3.0 and the Touchpad. The Mojo phone app is many times more responsive. From the beginning when they were talking about how fast Enyo was going to be in the developer sessions, I was skeptical. After trying it myself on a phone, it is clearly slower than Mojo when it comes to rendering the UI.

It is odd that sometimes it will seem perfectly responsive, but if I'm doing something else on the phone when a call comes in, it is horrible. There were times I was unable to even answer the call because the phone app wouldn't respond. Interestingly though, I haven't noticed it as much on my Pre3, but then I rarely use it for phone calls.

There are only two possible things I can see not working with the 2.1 phone app on a 2.2.4 device: Skype integration, and pairing with the Touchpad for phone calls. I can test Touchpad calling and report.

Philosophically, I agree with what you are saying John. In the case of the phone app, I am willing to regress to regain the responsiveness. I don't know if it is possible to fix the responsiveness, but it may be possible to improve it.
    I either have a really good phone or maybe my world is different from others, I have not noticed an issue with the Phone App, I have noticed some times the screen will remain black (thinks I am still holding the phone up to my ear), when I am trying to switch to speaker mode, but that I think is the proximity sensor not the phone app, but I have been on webOS 2.x since it was released for the PrePlus (build 284 and 285), so I went from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 to 2.2.4, did not even touch webOS 1.4.5.1 as I was already above when released...

Maybe I missed the faster webOS 1.4.5.x Phone App so I just except the slower as faster?

Not that I have the time, but someday I will build a webOS 2.2.4 build replacing all of the webOS 2.2.4 apps/frameworks with the webOS 2.1.x versions and then I can compare.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    What I noticed is that the 2.2.4 phone app gets laggy on my non-overclocked Veer after a while. After I cleared the call history it speeds up considerably. I briefly tried patching the call history to only show 10 or so entries but had no luck.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2