Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By railbear007
  • 5 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By hulickr
  • 4 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    The Verge has found a new logo for webOS! LG has some big plans! I am so excited!
    LG puts webOS front and center at CES 2014 | The Verge
    Sweet
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Wow exciting news!

But yawn for The Verge writing which has the obligatory "long dead" text about webOS even though 2 years is clearly not long enough for even the hip Verge staff in pursuit of the new to forget about webOS. But notice though that at least the "long dead" phrase has been nudged down from the traditional first or second sentence all the way into the second paragraph. Perhaps soon we will get to the "once" long dead, or even the once perceived to be dead but no--not really. Or perhaps better, maybe we will get some journalist like the Malcom Gladwell guy come in and give us a list of business ideas that became successes after failing on the first try.

In the meantime, I quite enjoyed this article below from Bryan Lunduke, who appears a knowledgable Linux writer

"But one really has to wonder how well WebOS will work on a TV (something that we've yet to see). Will LG need to make significant changes to the existing WebOS user experience to make it work via a remote control? And if it can turn WebOS into a great TV watching system...how much work will such an endeavor entail? Will it really have been worth it, in the long run? Will LG save money (and time) over simply continuing to use its already deployed version of GoogleTV?

There are still lots and lots of questions, and very few answers. At this point, we don't even know what the TV will cost or what the full feature set will be.

But one thing is quite certain - it's going to be fun to be able to talk about WebOS again, even if just for a little while."

LG's WebOS TV project raises a lot of questions
  4.    #4  
    Agreed 100% @bluenote anything webos is hope! Maybe for all we know LG will also implement webos into it's appliances and similar things at CES it'd be interesting to use webos on my washing machine:-) . I cant imagine they would make such big and huge signs just for webos on the tv but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    I have to agree. That's allot of marketing for just TVs.
    LG has been showing off TVs at ces since the 60s... (just discovered that myself from one of those verge articles...)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm getting more excited for tomorrow now, glad to see LG make webOS their next big thing.

Is it me or is the "b" in "webOS" in the new logo a subtle reference to the old logo for gram?
    LG is touting an "easy navigation," "fun setup," and "simple connection" features, but it's not clear yet how any of these features will work. Says on Verge article.

Meaning?
    Meaning we'll find out tomorrow.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Wow exciting news!

But yawn for The Verge writing which has the obligatory "long dead" text about webOS even though 2 years is clearly not long enough for even the hip Verge staff in pursuit of the new to forget about webOS. But notice though that at least the "long dead" phrase has been nudged down from the traditional first or second sentence all the way into the second paragraph. Perhaps soon we will get to the "once" long dead, or even the once perceived to be dead but no--not really. Or perhaps better, maybe we will get some journalist like the Malcom Gladwell guy come in and give us a list of business ideas that became successes after failing on the first try.
    Yeah, how lame...
    "What these pictures do tell us is that LG is going to put the long-dead webOS brand front and center, despite the fact that it failed to gain any significant traction in the consumer mind after failed attempts from Palm and then HP to make it into a viable smartphone competitor."

They know as we do, that webOS itself is a gem, and wasn't the cause of failure. And that it was actually ahead of the times, but without the business infrastructure to support and deliver it's glory to the mass market. Maybe TV tech people think the software itself is not capable of enhancing the smart tv, but the smart tv software/UI's I've seen are s#!t. Bringing their UI's into the modern age has got to be worth more than assinine indictments of their choice to use an OS that can actually provide modern, web based functionality in an interactive and functional manner that connected people are accustomed to in the tech they use on a daily basis, whether a pc, tablet or phone. WebOS is the one OS that could actually accomplish this, unless the brand name is the only important factor and the words "Google" or "Android" (or "iOS") are truly the only words that a consumer will base their TV purchase on.
    I don't think current TV prospects are waiting for a 'Google" TV. While I'm sure it would bring instant brand recognition (sadly), OS branding in the TV market is not currently relevant, and I can't believe the consumer base cares, unless the tech media decides to make it the issue.

TV's are behind the 8 ball in the connected world and LG has the opportunity to show what a truly "web" connected TV should be. I hope the media doesn't destroy that for the consumers, before the consumers can decide for themselves.

Of course I don't know how well the LG implementation will be myself, so if it sucks, then all is moot. But I hope they get it right, and give the TV world something to appreciate.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    geekpeter likes this.
    End users that aren't those of us hanging out on websites talking about tech, only care that a device does what they want it to, and secondarily that it does it well. People love the hell out of android because it does what they want. They have no idea that there are other phone systems that do things better, only that android (or iOS) does what they want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    End users that aren't those of us hanging out on websites talking about tech, only care that a device does what they want it to, and secondarily that it does it well. People love the hell out of android because it does what they want. They have no idea that there are other phone systems that do things better, only that android (or iOS) does what they want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I totaly agree Eblade, maybe we can start new and make it so it has amazing features and ALL the features ios and android have so consumers will adopt it at first. I started a thread to maybe discuss the future of Open webOS maybe open sourcing the OS was the best thing to happen to it. :-)