Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Font request for the open-sourcing

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...nt/pK4Lu-mJsQo

How much would it cost for us to just donate for the Prelude license?
    My personal position is to push for Mochi, because I am really not a huge fan of Onyx. The dark bit is great, but the design is square (one of my largest complaints with the flat UI stuff that Apple and Microsoft have adopted) and monolithic... My push is to move away from having our software look like, say, Canonical's look in Ubuntu (not talking Ubuntu Touch) and move to something that is calming, smooth, inviting, and zen. I'm always excited when companies use a more organic look (think river stone design like the Pre).

Obviously, the construction in Ports land hasn't settled, so stuff is a bit dusty and such. :P

Also, regarding Prelude... I am strongly recommend looking for a similar open source font (there are definitely a few GREAT ones) that has more characters implemented. Prelude is missing a TON.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Grabber5.0 and Choorp like this.
    That said, if licensing of Prelude is successful, then I'm all for it! (Hopefully getting more glyphs into it is not hard.) Always love keeping history around. It'd be bomb if it were open sourced (but I doubt it).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    That said, if licensing of Prelude is successful, then I'm all for it! (Hopefully getting more glyphs into it is not hard.) Always love keeping history around. It'd be bomb if it were open sourced (but I doubt it).
    I hadn't thought of that. While, the designers might open-source it, perhaps it's fairer to ask them for a price to buy it outright.

On the basis that,
    1. They must have made money from Palm/HP,
    2. We could find an open-source alternative and...
    3. Maybe they're not getting much interest in the font (maybe?).

They might accept a reasonable 'community-sized' price...

Or what are the chances of LG doing it for Open webOS?

Have fun at the SF meet up BTW! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/29/2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Some of the Prelude font faces are included in Open webOS.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I sent webtype an email when we wanted to use Prelude for pivotCE. Webtype gives license to pivotCE.com for webOS fonts | pivotCE We just asked for it. Explained we're volunteers, open-source-based, not for profit, etc. They gave us 6 years free for the 3 styles we chose (bold, italic, regular). Has the team just asked webtype?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I sent webtype an email when we wanted to use Prelude for pivotCE. Webtype gives license to pivotCE.com for webOS fonts | pivotCE We just asked for it. Explained we're volunteers, open-source-based, not for profit, etc. They gave us 6 years free for the 3 styles we chose (bold, italic, regular). Has the team just asked webtype?
    Already suggested this to Ben yesterday ;-) Seems the issue is that even though it's included in Open webOS but cannot be freely distributed with apps as such currently.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/03/2014 at 02:35 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Is someone still working on getting this as a theme on our Touchpads? It would be so amazing to give our aging devices a nice little refreshing look and feel!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yep, it's "coming soon." Keep your eye out for it in a blog post from enyojs.com soon.

http://forums.enyojs.com/discussion/1931/mochi
    Last edited by i2y4n; 03/30/2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added Link
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    Is someone still working on getting this as a theme on our Touchpads? It would be so amazing to give our aging devices a nice little refreshing look and feel!

I was, until I lost all the source files for my webOS projects. Haven't found the motivation to start from scratch again yet.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    I was, until I lost all the source files for my webOS projects. Haven't found the motivation to start from scratch again yet.
    Nooo for real?! Damn, thats bad..! There is no possible way to get your files back?
    Is someone else other than you also working on this, that you can help eachother out?
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Nooo for real?! Damn, thats bad..! There is no possible way to get your files back?

Is someone else other than you also working on this, that you can help eachother out?

As far as I know, I was the only one working on a Mochi theme for legacy webOS devices. I believe the Enyo team has something going on, but I think it's only for Enyo apps, not an actual webOS theme. I really don't know though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they got.

I'm afraid there's no way for me to get my files back. I've tried. Only thing left are some screenshots of the progress I was making. lol
    MAMISHO likes this.
  13.    #74  
    Seems this world can't do anything but take from us sometimes. I was hoping this would get me off my BB Z10 and get me back to good old webOS. Thanks for your hard work though, means a lot that you even attempted it alone.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    The Enyo team is about to release the Mochi theme according to the last email from Ben Combee (who left LG SVL to start working for Roku as per April 1st). So I'm quite sure the release is imminent
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Choorp, Rnp, cujoq37 and 1 others like this.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The Enyo team is about to release the Mochi theme according to the last email from Ben Combee (who left LG SVL to start working for Roku as per April 1st). So I'm quite sure the release is imminent
    That would be amazing! Cant wait! Silly question maybe, but would it be compatible with other versions of webOS (like 2.2.4)?
    That would be amazing! Cant wait! Silly question maybe, but would it be compatible with other versions of webOS (like 2.2.4)?
    It's basically another style in Enyo like we currently have Onyx. Could not be used 1:1 in Legacy apps, but I'm sure the smart minds can "style" the legacy apps
    Rnp likes this.
    Releasing Mochi | The Enyo Blog

Thanks, Herman and Tom, for stepping up!
    Onanii and RumoredNow like this.
    Btw where that weird "Eel Mochi" name comes from? (english not being my mothertongue)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast