Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
Like Tree54Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It is cool that Dieter came back to start a thread for the first time in three years (the merged title may confuse some as no longer reflects him as author)
    Yep.. the merge was reversed
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yep.. the merge was reversed
    Thanks for fixing it!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    We've missed you too Dieter. Thanks for stopping in.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yep. But they publish so much other crap that I don't read it unless they get linked to here.
    I find myself reading a lot of Verge articles linked from other places as well, but I don't think I've ever so much as looked at their front page.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5. #25  
    Love the article.
  6. #26  
    Such a sad outcome for our beloved OS, especially the planned beauty and maturation of webOS, not to mention the devices, the devices ! Oh the new toys we could have had ! Ugh, I feel like I just watched the farewell to the Ponds in "The Angels Take Manhattan" and the recent regeneration of the 11th Doctor, just watching that bow tie drop. That article literally brought a tear to my eye, oh the feels


    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
  7. #27  
    (Repost from other posting of this article)

    I wonder how far EEL development made it before Leo killed everything. I would love to get my hands on that, even if it wasn't perfect it would be better than the aging 3.0.5. Oh what might have been.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    (Repost from other posting of this article)

    I wonder how far EEL development made it before Leo killed everything. I would love to get my hands on that, even if it wasn't perfect it would be better than the aging 3.0.5. Oh what might have been.
    Considering that between the release of 3.0.4 (shortly after the Apothekerlypse), and the announcement of work moving towards Open, we all know that much of HPalm was laid off or moved elsewhere, and that we all know that there was a 3.0.5 before the transition to Open, I'd highly suspect that this is all mockups that never really made it to a development phase.

    Though theoretically, it would be possible to do all those nice looking things in Enyo (Seriously, I'd totally pay someone to build that calendar app's UI in Enyo 2), I suspect that there are technical reasons why Enyo 2 comes with the Onyx UI lib that looks, for the most part, square and quite similar to the Enyo 1 UI. And I'd suspect that some of those technical reasons include "mobile hardware right up until right now's top of the line absolutely sucks at drawing transparency and curved surfaces".

    Worse yet, although the mobile display hardware has drastically improved since the days of the TouchPad (which really is no slouch in the video hardware for 2011 devices), hardware manufacturers seem to be managing to increase the display hardware's requirements at a rate even faster than the display hardware can keep up with, so I'm hoping that that doesn't hold true for much longer, because y'know what.. I don't want a 4K Ultra HD handheld display, until after the display hardware can actually keep up with it.

    Curved surfaces and transparencies are something that I've had to fight with pretty hard in both of the industries I've worked in in mobile, and they have both proven themselves to be extremely difficult, as well as overdrawing. I never really figured when I moved from games to apps, that I'd be facing the same display problems, because jeezus, an app is so much simpler to the video hardware than a game is... except.. to the display hardware, it's .. not all that much simpler.

    wow, ok, this got way longer than I thought it was going to be, as I started rambling on and on. :-D
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HelloNNNewman and jkromero like this.
  9. #29  
    Hi Dieter!
  10. #30  
    thanks for the story, dieter. I'd use a mochi eel right away instead of gnex and all that crap. both android and ios are not as intuitive, while being so powerful as webOS.

    I just really don't agree with the part of the story that HP was afraid they would need to invest to much to get on par with the competition. if anyone, it was HP who had the deep pockets back then. in the end, they had to pay a bigger bill for ceasing hardware/webOS, than they would have had to pay if they didn't.
  11. sporkhead's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #31  
    What a warming read -- I felt quite emotional looking at what could have been, and how great it looked. That new UI in particular certainly was ahead of its time, and it'd have been amazing seeing the merged phone/tablet webOS on the new phone hardware.

    I'm glad Itai Vonshak is still working on webOS at LG, really looking forward to seeing webOS TV next week.
  12. #32  
    I think the saddest and most ironic thing that I took away from that read was that it seemed that a huge factor in the demise of webOS is the fact that it was hardware that kept kicking HP's ****. Seemed to be the one area that they kept falling behind on and was the most ironic Achilles heal of that hardware company. I always picture a boardroom full of stodgy old men stuck in their ways of not being willing to change and thinking no one could beat them at hardware so why worry. Sadly, HP was old and slow.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/03/2014 at 09:30 AM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I think the saddest and most ironic thing that I took away from that read was that it seemed that a huge factor in the demise of webOS is the fact that it was hardware that kept kicking HP's ****. Seemed to be the one area that they kept falling behind on and was the most ironic Achilles heal of that hardware company. I always picture a boardroom full of stodgy old men stuck in their ways of not being willing to change and thinking no one could beat them at hardware so why worry. Sadly, HP was old and slow.
    The thing is that the Go wasn't bad at all spec-wise if introduced in 2011.

    It was a kick-*** 7" tablet where there were no proper competitors yet. They would beat Nexus 7 to the market, there was no iPad Mini, only Kindle Fire's with 7" that was more or less OK, but couldn't come close hardware wise.

    The regular TP was indeed big and bulky compared to the iPad, but when priced more properly it would have stood a chance as well.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14. #34  
    That was a good thing you wrote...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The thing is that the Go wasn't bad at all spec-wise if introduced in 2011.

    It was a kick-*** 7" tablet where there were no proper competitors yet. They would beat Nexus 7 to the market, there was no iPad Mini, only Kindle Fire's with 7" that was more or less OK, but couldn't come close hardware wise.

    The regular TP was indeed big and bulky compared to the iPad, but when priced more properly it would have stood a chance as well.
    maybe if hp would have stopped obsessing with apple so much and just do their thing it would have worked out in the end
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
  16. #36  
    What a great look at a timeline that almost was...

    Extra kudos for the Eel UI vid. That made me salivate.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  17. gagetbOy's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Considering that between the release of 3.0.4 (shortly after the Apothekerlypse), and the announcement of work moving towards Open, we all know that much of HPalm was laid off or moved elsewhere, and that we all know that there was a 3.0.5 before the transition to Open, I'd highly suspect that this is all mockups that never really made it to a development phase.

    Though theoretically, it would be possible to do all those nice looking things in Enyo (Seriously, I'd totally pay someone to build that calendar app's UI in Enyo 2), I suspect that there are technical reasons why Enyo 2 comes with the Onyx UI lib that looks, for the most part, square and quite similar to the Enyo 1 UI. And I'd suspect that some of those technical reasons include "mobile hardware right up until right now's top of the line absolutely sucks at drawing transparency and curved surfaces".

    Worse yet, although the mobile display hardware has drastically improved since the days of the TouchPad (which really is no slouch in the video hardware for 2011 devices), hardware manufacturers seem to be managing to increase the display hardware's requirements at a rate even faster than the display hardware can keep up with, so I'm hoping that that doesn't hold true for much longer, because y'know what.. I don't want a 4K Ultra HD handheld display, until after the display hardware can actually keep up with it.

    Curved surfaces and transparencies are something that I've had to fight with pretty hard in both of the industries I've worked in in mobile, and they have both proven themselves to be extremely difficult, as well as overdrawing. I never really figured when I moved from games to apps, that I'd be facing the same display problems, because jeezus, an app is so much simpler to the video hardware than a game is... except.. to the display hardware, it's .. not all that much simpler.

    wow, ok, this got way longer than I thought it was going to be, as I started rambling on and on. :-D
    interesting. IOS 7 recently redid a lot of there interface with transparencies have you had any experience with the ios 7 sdk?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by gagetbOy View Post
    interesting. IOS 7 recently redid a lot of there interface with transparencies have you had any experience with the ios 7 sdk?
    Yeah, there's plenty of transparency stuff in iOS 7, but the vast majority of the new graphics stuff is only available on iPad 3+ and iPhone 5+. Even the parallax mapping of the background image is significantly lessened on the older devices.

    Not that these problems can't be worked around, or gotten through, but even with the incredible pace of mobile display hardware, Apple's incredible pace of strapping more and more pixels to it seems to be outpacing the display hardware. iPad 2 to Retina requires 2.6x the hardware to maintain the same fill rate. What's next? 4K will take 2x that to maintain the same fill rate, or 4x the hardware to maintain a 1080p fill rate.

    ... and 8k will require 4x the hardware of 4k. ugh! :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. #39  
    Curse you Leo Apothecker!!!!
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    First, thank you, Dieter! I have to say that is very, very good see you here!

    And second... P##@ Que O PARIU!!

    My eyes are brimming with so many tears... Click to view quoted image
    Click to view quoted image
    Click to view quoted image




    Best Regards...
    Same here!! Valeu!!
    Rnp likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I put all the apps I wrote up on github
    By jason.o in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02/21/2013, 12:29 AM
  2. Wrote a Quick Review...
    By grometnj in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07/06/2011, 02:47 PM
  3. Need some help with an app I wrote
    By pezman726 in forum webOS Development
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09/09/2010, 06:43 AM
  4. Journalists who wrote political checks
    By moderateinny in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06/28/2007, 09:40 PM
  5. Wrote my first mobile app
    By ZaijiaN in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01/03/2007, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions