Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    So the webOS tv controls when the appliances are turned on (etc) and oh, it also has entertainment such as netflix, live tv blah blah. Feels like LG is seeing webOS as a game changer (see link below).

Brilliant to make the Tv the control hub as it is stationary whereas laptops etc are mobile. And you don't want just anyone coming into your home with their mobile device and texting your security system, it would have to go thru some gateway.

I guess initially this would be installed in high end hotels, resorts, corporate headquarters, and wealthy homes and then slowly trickle down to masses as appliances from "the internet of things" become affordable.

So then webOS just has to work well and intuitively. Everyone can use their mobile device --ios or whatever to communicate to the tv thru an enyo app. So you don't need mobile buy in of webOS right away. Although people might start to like a non-proprietary interface.

This seems like at least a 5 year commitment to webOS as we are only at the beginning stages.

Question: Will LG have the last laugh on HP who spent a billion to get Palm and then Apotheker and Whitman gave up too early and without vision?

'LG believes that the smart TV should be the center of connectivity in the home (the ‘hub’) and that’s why we have introduced AllJoyn in our smart TVs first,” says Ken Hong, global communications director of LG Electronics, Inc., in an exchange with CE Pro. '

CES 2014: How Many Smart Home Platforms Does LG Need? - @CES Article from CE Pro
  2.    #2  
    More food for thought

There were only a handful of HP execs who approved the Palm acquisition. One of them (I forget his name) as a strategic thinker and didn't he go on to head some kind of TV consortium. Would love to hear his thoughts on the idea of a webOS communication hub tv.

Can we now interpret the words of Mark Hurd, former CEO of Palm, differently as a far more visionary statement than anyone understood at the time?

“We didn’t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn’t seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment [...] We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices [...] Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value proposition.”
    HP CEO says he didn't buy Palm for smartphones | BGR

Edit: The HP exec was Phil McKinney who went on to head the CableLabs industry consortium. Someone should interview him on the new LG tv.
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/02/2014 at 11:30 AM.
    Rnp likes this.
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    Cant tell from the image if one can have multiple channels in cards/stacks. If not don't see much difference from current offerings
    The idea that WebOS TV as the hub is wonderful and I love it, just like I always love WebOS. However, from a pessimistic point of a view, even if WebOS TV is successful and popular, due to the lack of app ecosystem, Android will copy the feature and eventually dominate the TV market. I do hope I am totally wrong, though.
    WebOS still looks beautiful on TV!
    Rnp and tracks914 like this.
  7.    #7  
    They might. It just won't be as elegant and that is the point. LG is the second largest tv manufacturer at any rate.
    It still comes down to how it's being controlled. If it's LG's (god awful) mouse remote thingy, it'll still be a pain to use.

Remember, webOS' beauty is its gesture along with cards. Can't have one and ditch the other and it'll be dreadful (read: TouchPad, yes I hate that incarnation of webOS.)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    On closer inspection, it seems the tv is a single card by itself and the others are in a stack
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It still comes down to how it's being controlled. If it's LG's (god awful) mouse remote thingy, it'll still be a pain to use.

Remember, webOS' beauty is its gesture along with cards. Can't have one and ditch the other and it'll be dreadful (read: TouchPad, yes I hate that incarnation of webOS.)
    They need to make the remote just like a webos phone which mimics what is on the tv, and it would have the same gestures we have now to control it.. but I bet they wont do it. Probly a lot of voice and hand gestures to make to feel silly

Ps. not a fan of touchpad webos either. Couldn't even see what's in the stack, complete waste of time until lunace fixed it
    Before, when I was daydreaming, I was thinking of a Wii U like controller with a screen on the remote where you can do swipe gestures on the remote screen area to change card based channels.

Now what I'm thinking is is they do a ps4-like controller where the remote has this touchpad area (to make things more simple instead of a screen) where you can do the webos gestures to change channels... but that might be too complicated of a sell to the avg consumer.

I guess we'll find out in a few days time.
    It looks like a start display only with live tv on. I mean not showing webOS multitasking yet, just the icons of apps available. Could be @evleaks wrong?

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/4...559424/photo/1
    IMHO... I've always doubted they would use the main features of webOS phones for the TV's (ie: multitasking, cards, etc), but would us webOS as an interface to unify their different product lines. I don't think you will see their TV's interacting like webOS phones by any means. I'm expecting them to (unfortunately) look similar to other company interfaces in the front-end, but use webOS on the back-end as the foundation for all products to interact more seamlessly. /2cents
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Before, when I was daydreaming, I was thinking of a Wii U like controller with a screen on the remote where you can do swipe gestures on the remote screen area to change card based channels.

Now what I'm thinking is is they do a ps4-like controller where the remote has this touchpad area (to make things more simple instead of a screen) where you can do the webos gestures to change channels... but that might be too complicated of a sell to the avg consumer.

I guess we'll find out in a few days time.
    Or Leap Motion: https://www.leapmotion.com/

Surprisingly their partner right now is HP...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Still no Netflix on webOS...at least not in that pic
  16.    #16  
    There is no effin way that LG reveals a 'smart tv' without netflix. As the second largest tv maker, who do you think has some clout here?
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    There is no effin way that LG reveals a 'smart tv' without netflix. As the second largest tv maker, who do you think has some clout here?
    I'm sure they will...question is how do we strip the code to load it on the Pre 3?
    bluenote and geekpeter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    Still no Netflix on webOS...at least not in that pic
    It will have check out LG webOS TV on emulator launcher:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't wait to see what they unveil.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Exactly. Esp. now that Netflix has started *expanding* its business to Europe last year (2013), it would be a dumb move from LG to not include Netflix.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast