1.    #1  
    First, a quick run down.
    I was using a Pre3 as my daily driver.
    I disassociated my Palm Profile from it using this guide Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation
    I then switched to a Pixi Plus with a fresh doctor of 2.1.0 for a week
    I then disassociated the Pixi from my Palm profile using the same guide
    I switched to my Pre 2 with a fresh doctor of 2.2.4 for a week
    I then disassociated my Palm profile from the Pre2 using the same guide
    I switched BACK to my Pre3 but this time, since I had already used this device, I did NOT do a fresh install, I simply used Impostah to log back into my profile and THEN my device wiped.

What'd I do wrong?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    First, a quick run down.
    I was using a Pre3 as my daily driver.
    I disassociated my Palm Profile from it using this guide Swap your Palm Profile between multiple webOS 2.x phones (homebrew) | webOS Nation
    I then switched to a Pixi Plus with a fresh doctor of 2.1.0 for a week
    I then disassociated the Pixi from my Palm profile using the same guide
    I switched to my Pre 2 with a fresh doctor of 2.2.4 for a week
    I then disassociated my Palm profile from the Pre2 using the same guide
    I switched BACK to my Pre3 but this time, since I had already used this device, I did NOT do a fresh install, I simply used Impostah to log back into my profile and THEN my device wiped.

What'd I do wrong?
    Whenever I switch my devices on the same profile, I just sit them off, and leave them off, until I go back to them. Or I just turn off WiFi. That way it never realizes its been disassociated with the account
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3.    #3  
    So you would turn off the pre2 and then turn on the pre3? Then shut off the pre3 and turn on the pre2?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Well... the explanation is simple:

Pre3 + Profile A => log the Profile A in Pixi Plus = reset the Profile A in Pre 3.

So, the Webos Servers was waiting for your combo (Pre3 + Profile A) connect to Internet to send the reset.

Solving:

Pre3 + Profile A => log the Profile A in Pixi Plus AND log some "Profile B" in Pre3.

This way, the Webos Server gonna believe that the Pre3 is not connected to Profile A and cancel the reset.

Hummm... well, was not so simple... but works!

Oh, yes... there is one more thing... if there is any problem changing the profile to other device, the Pre3 with no profile gonna reset, too... in other words, you can change the Profile A to other device, but you HAVE to leave a profile logged in the Pre3...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    but logging into profile B would essentially reset the phone too. he'd lose whatever he customised in profile a, which i'd assume is what he's trying to avoid otherwise why reuse a profile?

the only other thing i can think would be if you went to hp profile website on a pc, and released the Pre2 info associated with it, before signing back into it thru the Pre3. if you test this i'd like to hear your result. but im not aware of which event(s) trigger the reset vs letting you log in.

maybe also if you put the pre3 in airplane then devmode then used impostah to sign in thru wifi, before turning radios on.

i gave up trying to share profiles. my latest trick is to use different profiles to the same gmail box.
    gmail doesnt differentiate addresses with periods in them. palmpre@ is the same as palm.pre@

but hp server does see it as 2. but this doesnt help with paid apps.
    Using Impostah to all changes, the phone don't reset.

I use this to alternate between my Preł & my Veer...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Using Impostah to all changes, the phone don't reset.

I use this to alternate between my Preł & my Veer...

Best Regards...
    aw i botched it. i just went from veer to pre2 back to veer. veer is signing into profile now but all Preware installed apps i had tried to save in airplane mode are gone.

no biggie, it's a new activation anyway, but i wanted to see if i could do it like you said. if you record your steps next time you do it, please let me know. the pre2 is now in ap mode, with its profile released by impostah. it's just a yahtzee game/mp3 player until i turn radios on again. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well... the explanation is simple:

Pre3 + Profile A => log the Profile A in Pixi Plus = reset the Profile A in Pre 3.

So, the Webos Servers was waiting for your combo (Pre3 + Profile A) connect to Internet to send the reset.

Solving:

Pre3 + Profile A => log the Profile A in Pixi Plus AND log some "Profile B" in Pre3.

This way, the Webos Server gonna believe that the Pre3 is not connected to Profile A and cancel the reset.

Hummm... well, was not so simple... but works!

Oh, yes... there is one more thing... if there is any problem changing the profile to other device, the Pre3 with no profile gonna reset, too... in other words, you can change the Profile A to other device, but you HAVE to leave a profile logged in the Pre3...

Best Regards...
    So let me see if I understand this right.. I have my main profile, I've used to buy apps on my Pre3.. We'll call it profile A. I just reactivated my FrankenPre2 the other day to use as my daily driver again, but used a different profile to be safe. We'll call that profile B. I would like to re-associate profile A to my Pre2 so I can get my paid apps back on there (and get ipk backups of the ones that aren't available for the Pre3). If I understand this, I need to do the following using Impostah:
    1) Log out of profile B on Pre2.
    2) Log out of profile A on Pre3 to disassociate it from the Pre3.
    3) Log in to profile B on Pre3 to make sure the Pre3 is completely off of profile A.
    4) Log in to profile A on Pre2.

Will that sequence work without wiping either phone? (Honestly it would be okay if the Pre2 wiped, then I could restore my sms history from the Pre3's last backup).

Or should I sign in to a 3rd profile, Profile C on the Pre3, instead of Profile B?

I may be able to try it using another pair of devices..
    I guess I did it right. I followed the steps I listed above on two other phones and neither one was wiped. I logged out of both, then logged into both right away on the opposite phones. I don't recall if it was B,A,B,A or B,A,A,B but I think I signed in first to the one I wanted to be sure didn't get erased.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/06/2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Just did the same swap with my Pre3 and FrankenPre2 and all is well. Now my primary profile is back on my daily driver. I need to re-download all of my paid apps again so I can back up the ipks.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Argh. I hope it was unrelated, as I did the swap over 8 hrs ago, but my Pre 2 just wiped itself. I was trying to look at something in Lumberjack but it wasn't working so I rebooted. It seemed to be taking a while, and it came up with the blue activation screen, then it restarted Luna before anything showed on the blue background. When it can back up to fully, all my apps were gone. Will check the Pre3 in the morning. I don't mind that it happened to this phone, but I want to know why.
    For those who also want to copy apps that aren't avail in app cat anymore (so no more dl possible) can use Metaviews "mybackup" script. Instructions to be found here: Hidden webOS Tips and Tricks - webOS Nation Forums - Hidden webOS Tips and Tricks

Grabber5.0 this could also be used for restoring them on Device A when this was wiped. No AppCat updates of those can be done then anymore as new profie B isn't associated to those apps.
    I took a look at the logs this morning to try to find some hint of a problem or remote wipe command, so far nothing.

I was just thinking about this - it has been so long since I had a device wipe due to signing in to the profile on another device that I can't remember - doesn't it leave you on the activation screen where you have to sign in to a profile to get into the phone? Mine booted all the way and displayed the launcher, and I am still signed in to my profile. I was thinking it might have been because it is an activation-bypassed device, but since it is not signed out of the profile, I don't think that is it. Does an erase apps and data require you to sign back in?
    Apparently it just erased the apps, not the data.. I downloaded Forums from the catalog, and when I opened it, my forums were still there!
    Ugh I think I'd be better off if it had signed me out. I just re-installed a bunch of stuff from Preware, then installed Facebook from the App Catalog. Or at least the App Catalog thinks I did. It says Tap to launch.. Nothing. It's not in the launcher, the software manager, or the apps directory, so I have no way to remove it. Does anyone have any idea how I can clear out whatever data has the app catalog thinking it's installed so I can try again? Something very weird is going on, and I don't think it's related to switching profiles - the other 3 phones involved are still fine. Thinking I should have a mod break my last few posts into a new thread. I'm trying to avoid it, but maybe I'll just erase the device myself and log back in.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/07/2014 at 09:48 PM.
    I fixed Facebook by installing the saved IPK, but I still was having issues with logging not working with Lumberjack. I don't want to deal with constant problems if this keeps happening, so I updated my saved package list in Preware and erased all apps and data.. it resolved the issue. It also reinstalled every app I have EVER downloaded with this profile.. ugh. This is what I hate about the 'proper' sign in to a profile.
  18.    #18  
    Yeah this whole thread hurts to read. There's no magic way to make sure this doesn't get screwed up. In fact, part of me thinks at has a little to do with using the same webOS profile under v3 on a TouchPad as with a phone on 2.x. That mixture of different apps seems to confused the ever-loving crap out of a restore operation too. Keeping USB backed up on a PC, saved package list from preware, and Save/Restore primed and ready is the simplest way to get back up and running. So I've just been resetting phones as I switch phones. A pain but, it keeps the headaches to sub-migraine level.
    Follow me on Twitter