Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I hope and wish for a phone. Still rocking a Pre minus. Epic Touch had a heart attach. Can update for years now. Oh where are thou webOS phone?
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    I will buy a webos tv! just to smack LG C.E.O with it! to knock some sense into him so LG will make a webos phone!
    id rather hunt down apothekar and whack an LG tv over his head tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    mrmarquis9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    id rather hunt down apothekar and whack an LG tv over his head tbh.
    You can whack Meg, she easier to find. She was there and agreed with Leo, and could have saved webos if she wanted to. Now she talking about she knows hp need to be in the smartphone game someday
    geekpeter and C-Note like this.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Derek, dust off that HP Touchpad keyboard and get ready to right us a WebOS comeback story :-) :-)
    m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????
    The ultimate kick in the gonads would be if LG puts a Leo Apotheker wallpaper on the TV. Oh the humanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    The ultimate kick in the gonads would be if LG puts a Leo Apotheker wallpaper on the TV. Oh the humanity!
    i started to cry at that slim to impossible chance ever happening.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    webos is still my favourite mobile OS.
    I'm still using a Pre3. I have a N7 and would love to have webos on that instead of Android.
    But webos on TV is not a comeback in my book.

I couldn't care less what variant of Linux is used to present menus and a few addon functions on a TV.
    Much of what I like best of webos won't make it to a TV (not much use for Synergy, great notifications or fluid touch guestures on a TV). To me it seems that webos is utter overkill on a TV (which is why I entertained some doubt whether that's really all that LG wants to do with webos).

If webos on a TV would be a first stepping stone - sure I'll take that.
    If it's the only place it zombies on - then it's truly and finally dead.

I'll wait for CES, watch the webos TV presentation and hope that it involves announcemts about further, more mobile, webos devices.

But having the best of the mobile OS confined on the most boring and static of devices is not a comeback.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I couldn't care less what variant of Linux is used to present menus and a few addon functions on a TV.
    Much of what I like best of webos won't make it to a TV (not much use for Synergy, great notifications or fluid touch guestures on a TV). To me it seems that webos is utter overkill on a TV (which is why I entertained some doubt whether that's really all that LG wants to do with webos).
    I agree!
    I think LG agrees too!
    So why are they using webOS? I suspect it has more to do with legal ramifications of using the google android code.... But I hope I'm wrong and that LG wants webOS because they think it can bring something really good and new to televisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    I agree!
    I think LG agrees too!
    So why are they using webOS? I suspect it has more to do with legal ramifications of using the google android code.... But I hope I'm wrong and that LG wants webOS because they think it can bring something really good and new to televisions.
    It could also be an escape route for LG in the unlikely event that Samsung decides to go all in with Tizen. HTC has decent footing on Android with its devices and a solid alternative on Windows Phone. Motorola is obviously in Google's pocket and Nokia in Microsoft's, so that would leave LG twisting in the wind. If Samsung has any kind of success with Tizen, that would be a clear message that the public wants an alternative to Android and iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I'm still using a Pre3. I have a N7 and would love to have webos on that instead of Android.
    But webos on TV is not a comeback in my book.

If webos on a TV would be a first stepping stone - sure I'll take that.
    If it's the only place it zombies on - then it's truly and finally dead.

I'll wait for CES, watch the webos TV presentation and hope that it involves announcemts about further, more mobile, webos devices.

But having the best of the mobile OS confined on the most boring and static of devices is not a comeback.
    All my personal opinion here:

I think there's plenty of use for Synergy, for Notifications on any kind of a screen. I think that you're entirely right, however, that "gestures" as we know them in classic webOS are pretty useless on a TV, though. You don't want to feel like you're playing Wii Tennis to find something to watch.

It would seem disingenuous to expect any sort of an announcement regarding anything other than the specific products on display at CES. CES is a place where companies mostly show off what they have just arriving to the market, recently or very near future, from what I've heard, it's not a whole lot of "we're going to do such and such", it's more "here's what we've done". I could also be totally wrong about that, I've never actually been to a CES, and I'm not going to get the opportunity to be at this one, either.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    But I rock at Wii tennis!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    It could also be an escape route for LG in the unlikely event that Samsung decides to go all in with Tizen. HTC has decent footing on Android with its devices and a solid alternative on Windows Phone. Motorola is obviously in Google's pocket and Nokia in Microsoft's, so that would leave LG twisting in the wind. If Samsung has any kind of success with Tizen, that would be a clear message that the public wants an alternative to Android and iOS.
    samsung has already gone with Tizen for its next gen smart tvs.
    Available early 2014: Samsung Tizen smartphone and Tizen TV |Tizen Experts
    I think LG wants to forge its own path. Google tv's efforts haven't panned out and no one wants to rely on google anyway. LG can control open webos's development efforts rather than being an also ran in the android or tizen world.
    The open nature of tizen or open webos does mean they can get outside apps and development if they drum up enough support. But they don't need 1000's of apps either so a small app market isn't a huge liability. only a few weeks left to wait! Hopefully it impresses.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've seen nothing to support this. But in my imagination I see a gesture based multitasking remote (similar to Pre-2/3). Maybe the built-in web subscription sites that TV's have had for years could multi-task with each other as well as with cable, web browsing, a DVR, and other inputs. Maybe cards could show on the TV at full resolution and be mirrored on the remote using WebOS swipes on the remote. And maybe this "super remote" would be an add-on option that, after an update at some point down the road could be activated as a smartphone. Maybe it could talk to your other LG appliances. Maybe much of this would have to wait until generation 2 in 2015. Nothing wrong with dreaming.
    eblade and RumoredNow like this.
    In the end, I dont see this being any different from what has gone before it. The reasons are twofold:
    1) LG is in it for the same reason as the others - Google, Samsung, Microsoft, et al - and will go down the same beaten path of profits by any means. In the absence of a new paradigm their innovations and products will be shiny at launch, but the novelty wont last.
    2) The recent bit of controversy around the data mining and privacy/security breaches in their current Smart TVs gave a glimpse of what is to come under webOS. End users will be viewed as useless consumers while being treated as products (data, habits and even images commoditized for added profit). The difference will be that big data will have yet another platform upon which to forge ahead.

Neither of those are reasons to cheer for webOS this time around, but #2 stands to taint and do further damage to its name. Can you imagine if, like that other platform, webOS becomes synonymous with data mining and surveillance?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12