View Poll Results: Which device would you purchase?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.5" screen $249-$299 iphone 4s size

6 22.22%
  • 4" screen $399 blackberry z10 size

20 74.07%
  • 5" screen $499 note size

0 0%
  • 5.5-6" screen $549 note 2/3 size

1 3.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
    Preferably, I want a portrait slider so 4" would be great. If it really comes down to it and it really has to be an on-screen keyboard, then I'd go for 4.5".
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    @ gselsidi

I'd love to see this happen.

However, how do you plan to plug the big hole in the project you've presented? Installing webOS...

Legacy is not being used, but it is still owned (mostly by LG, with cloud components still owned by HP). Would there be licensing? One assumes Ali Baba (or something similar) would be the source for finding an OEM to make the manufacturing run. Have you factored in the cost/time to have engineers refit Legacy for new hardware?

Or would you try to get Open Source running? Currently it's running Android drivers through a compatibility layer and to run on hardware it needs the Cyanogenmod driver components for the hardware model being ported. Would you spend time/money on having hardware drivers written from scratch for a new piece of hardware that has no Android drivers?

Inquiring minds want to know...
    Yeah I was just focusing on the hardware part first. At a $500 price point and 1000 buyers we would have about $300,000K for development, assuming $200 hardware costs.

Like I mentioned before I was in contact with an Australian company, who could build a prototype ect, and source the parts. They would also before they even start do a market analysis, to see if it's even economically feasible.

The biggest problems is the software being compatible with the hardware, and I have no idea How open WebOS is, even though supposedly it's open source. But I think with $150-200K it might be feasible to get drivers working, possibly no cloud support at the beginning for obvious cost reasons. Also, another important thing is getting android apps to run on WebOs.

Or maybe the Open WebOs community can help if we decide on hardware, this is why I said I'm not sure if I'm going to undertake this due to the obvious difficulty, but I think we need to have a discussion on making this happen. It's either going to happen soon or it will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    Yeah I was just focusing on the hardware part first. At a $500 price point and 1000 buyers we would have about $300,000K for development, assuming $200 hardware costs.
    Getting back into WebOS and really interested to see people who want it

From my point of view the Pre 3 is perfect. I think what made the Pre so unique was that is was "different". It didn't have a great hunking screen nor did it abandon portrait slider. It didn't need a huge screen I found; those smartphones make up for their limitations (UI) with huge screens.

My perfect WebOS device would be WebOS 2.0 but with the problems ironed out and maybe some new features such as UI customisation (I like). Of course some new features out there that apparently we need I don't know. It's a web technology and it did it real well.

Stock wise the Pre does it all. All the patches and other apps developers made just gave some flavours to it.

So I'd vote 3.5" or 4" maximum. The Pre 2 was also comfy to use.

Bottom line is the Pre's hardware suited it's OS, that's why it ran great and did what it did well. It didn't clutter you up with junk or flashy features or needed fast hardware (like Android)..

Truthfully if someone made a brand new Pre today I'd buy it instantly
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    Getting back into WebOS and really interested to see people who want it

From my point of view the Pre 3 is perfect. I think what made the Pre so unique was that is was "different". It didn't have a great hunking screen nor did it abandon portrait slider. It didn't need a huge screen I found; those smartphones make up for their limitations (UI) with huge screens.

My perfect WebOS device would be WebOS 2.0 but with the problems ironed out and maybe some new features such as UI customisation (I like). Of course some new features out there that apparently we need I don't know. It's a web technology and it did it real well.

Stock wise the Pre does it all. All the patches and other apps developers made just gave some flavours to it.

So I'd vote 3.5" or 4" maximum. The Pre 2 was also comfy to use.

Bottom line is the Pre's hardware suited it's OS, that's why it ran great and did what it did well. It didn't clutter you up with junk or flashy features or needed fast hardware (like Android)..

Truthfully if someone made a brand new Pre today I'd buy it instantly
    The only thing I thought was missing was widgets on webos especially with the home screen pretty much doing nothing lol.

Can any of the open webos or developers chime in on software compatibility costs? Like how much money are we looking at with getting open webos to run on like those cheap china phone MTM whatever they are called processors.

I know a hardware prototype will be around 70-100k
    I'm probably going to buy a Note 3 in the next few days(maybe today). Been trying to wait for a 64GB version but seems they don't exist anywhere in the world and no indications of when they will come out. BB has 32GB on sale for $199 with 2 year renewal on AT&T so I think that is what I will do(I wasn't going to change carriers regardless).

So assuming that happens I plan to give away most of my WebOS phones (preferably to some good developer(s) - assuming there's any development going on on these devices anymore). I'll start a thread here to see if anyone is interested at that point.

I have 2 EU Pre3s (UK/FR), a Pre2, and a Veer all of which have had barely any use.

I plan to keep my AT&T Pre3 as a backup phone of sorts. Also plan to keep my 3 touchpads. My Pre3s, and Pre2 cost me ~$2k in total when I bought them in a "near panic" shortly after HP killed Palm(the ATT Pre3 was much cheaper when they finally hit the market). The veer was $0.01 when I switched from Sprint to ATT. I can't really bare to see what their real value is so I figure it's better just to donate to someone who can make better use of them than I could.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123