View Poll Results: Which device would you purchase?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.5" screen $249-$299 iphone 4s size

6 22.22%
  • 4" screen $399 blackberry z10 size

20 74.07%
  • 5" screen $499 note size

0 0%
  • 5.5-6" screen $549 note 2/3 size

1 3.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    Also, why do you guys still want physical keyboard? Just curious, I was all for physical until I tried an iphone and samsung note which I am using now. Dont miss the physical one bit.

Have you guys tried good touch sensitive phones and still prefer physical?

Especially things like swype you don't even need to type anymore.
    I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here.
    It seems to me that there are zillions of excellent, high-spec slab phones out there but I'm not even the least bit interested. Obviously I'm not in the majority on this...

This is the tiny minority of people that were excited by the Pre- when iPhones were already selling like hotcakes. For me it was between the Pre and the Android G1 and I much preferred the portrait slider on the Pre. Judging from the relatively low sales of the Pre and its siblings and the lack of portrait sliders from other manufacturers I would have to assume that we're a small and unprofitable niche.
    I strongly believe that WebOS isn't nearly as effective/efficient without a physical keyboard and gesture area (e.g. TouchPad - is "Just type" really "Just type" if you need to tap something that says "Just type..." before you can just type?!?!). That's okay with me, because I need my phone to be an effective little computer when I'm nowhere near a computer, whereas I'm usually near a computer when I'm using my tablet, so I'll spark up a PC if I'm trying to do something thats too laborious on the TouchPad.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here.
    It seems to me that there are zillions of excellent, high-spec slab phones out there but I'm not even the least bit interested. Obviously I'm not in the majority on this...

This is the tiny minority of people that were excited by the Pre- when iPhones were already selling like hotcakes. For me it was between the Pre and the Android G1 and I much preferred the portrait slider on the Pre. Judging from the relatively low sales of the Pre and its siblings and the lack of portrait sliders from other manufacturers I would have to assume that we're a small and unprofitable niche.
    I strongly believe that WebOS isn't nearly as effective/efficient without a physical keyboard and gesture area (e.g. TouchPad - is "Just type" really "Just type" if you need to tap something that says "Just type..." before you can just type?!?!). That's okay with me, because I need my phone to be an effective little computer when I'm nowhere near a computer, whereas I'm usually near a computer when I'm using my tablet, so I'll spark up a PC if I'm trying to do something thats too laborious on the TouchPad.
    Not preaching just trying to understand. I see a massive need for tablets to have a slider keyboard without a keyboard they are useless for real work, and attaching detaching is a bit silly, but that's another topic all on it's own.

Anyway for the design part. Say if the phone was as long as a pre 2 in the open position maybe a little bit wider, but the keyboard is pixie like and doesnt slide, but almost the same screen real estate.

Say if you want to draw it out on a piece of paper about 5" length x 3" wide.
    So what is the consensus a slider? Or a bigger screened pixie/ blackberry like phone?
    +1 for a slider.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    +1 for a slider.
    Is there a reason you want a slider as opposed to a blackberry like device?

The only con I can think of is that the slider will be thicker. Other than that not much, besides hardware feeling a bit more flimsly.

Also, is this a deal breaker if it's a slider or pixie like?

The only con I can think of is that the slider will be thicker. Other than that not much, besides hardware feeling a bit more flimsly.

Slider is better for landscape.

I know you hear a lot this thickness issue, but I bet the real reason they don't like to make slider is it's more difficult to make. Some real engineering required and a machine to open and close it a billion times.

Even palm missed a little with the clearance for the mirror. Every pre and pre2 I had the mirror got scratched from the slider. I suppose in real world humans apply pressure when sliding open
    Last edited by laingman; 12/12/2013 at 08:45 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Slider is better for landscape
    So you want the slider in landscape instead of vertical like the original pre?

Physical keyboard for serious typing. When it is not required it is out of the way. (as in landscape viewing/browsing). I can see the arguments against and probably would go for a slab rather than fixed kbd.
    So you want the slider in landscape instead of vertical like the original pre?
    No. A portrait slider just like we have now. When in landscape it is more closer to 16:9 aspect ratio wide screen for watching video and such. While a candybar pixie style would have a square screen in either orientation
  9.    #29  
    No. A portrait slider just like we have now. When in landscape it is more closer to 16:9 aspect ratio wide screen for watching video and such. While a candybar pixie style would have a square screen in either orientation
    Ahh I see, got it. How about screen size? I mean without making the device a bit bigger the screen will be pretty much the same.

Are you guys happy with the original screen size?
    Ahh I see, got it. How about screen size? I mean without making the device a bit bigger the screen will be pretty much the same.

Are you guys happy with the original screen size?
    Original size fine with me but I think most would want a little bigger. There is a limit to how big (long when open) a slider can be before it becomes a task to reach all parts of the screen for one handed operation
  11.    #31  
    Original size fine with me but I think most would want a little bigger. There is a limit to how big (long when open) a slider can be before it becomes a task to reach all parts of the screen for one handed operation
    Yeah def. not longer, as I think it already is long enough maybe, just a bit wider, or extend the screen at the top or make the bottom gesture area a bit smaller.

You could even almost possibly remove the gesture area, as you can run gestures on the screen itself. Swiping up from the bottom brings up card view like normal. If you want to quick switch between apps you can swipe from the sides of the screen.

Alright at least we got the basics down to what we all want. I know a company out in Australia that can help with prototyping and making the final product, as they have relationships with China. Also have to confirm a few things as how much programming might be involved to support new hardware, how much potential costs could be, if community members will help? ect.

God I miss WebOS so much, to bad my old pre is a sprint version can't use GSM. Have to find a Pre 3 with 4G

Anyway feel free to post more thoughts/ideas, even if I decide not to take this up at least it's a reference point for someone else who might or will.

Let's all hope for shiny new Pre's! haha
    Anyway for the design part. Say if the phone was as long as a pre 2 in the open position maybe a little bit wider, but the keyboard is pixie like and doesnt slide, but almost the same screen real estate.

Say if you want to draw it out on a piece of paper about 5" length x 3" wide.
    My wish would be for an update to the Pre2 line, but I wouldn't dismiss a BB-ish thing like you describe above without giving it a shot. I imagine it is significantly less expensive to design, test and produce.
    Like the other poster, I'd miss the mirror!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    My wish would be for an update to the Pre2 line, but I wouldn't dismiss a BB-ish thing like you describe above without giving it a shot. I imagine it is significantly less expensive to design, test and produce.
    Like the other poster, I'd miss the mirror!
    Yes this was the whole logic behind it it's easier to design and it's thinner, but I understand the whole landscape mode argument the screen would be to squarish.

A slate device would solve all these problems, but lets be honest outside people from the community are not going to support the device. Only reason I asked about a bb style device is that it might draw some blackberry people on board.

I think the best course of action is stick to the original pre design, improve it if possible. If it's successful then we can focus on other form factors.
    Yes this was the whole logic behind it it's easier to design and it's thinner, but I understand the whole landscape mode argument the screen would be to squarish.

A slate device would solve all these problems, but lets be honest outside people from the community are not going to support the device. Only reason I asked about a bb style device is that it might draw some blackberry people on board.

I think the best course of action is stick to the original pre design, improve it if possible. If it's successful then we can focus on other form factors.
    Problem is one would have to be able to say it can do all the things the other ones can do. Where would the big name apps come from? Bank apps, etc

And what about the code? Far as I know the code for phones was never open sourced.
    You could even almost possibly remove the gesture area, as you can run gestures on the screen itself. Swiping up from the bottom brings up card view like normal. If you want to quick switch between apps you can swipe from the sides of the screen.
    You are missing the back gesture there...
    Problem is one would have to be able to say it can do all the things the other ones can do. Where would the big name apps come from? Bank apps, etc

And what about the code? Far as I know the code for phones was never open sourced.
    webOS Ports will be available for phones too. I suspect that running Android apps on it won't be that far-fetched as some might think!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hi,

Try here: Pre 4 Specification

We are working on a reference specification - in the hope it might get made or to judge existing handsets against to select a good future port target.

We started with the specs of exisiting devices and are debating changes, additions, upgrades.

A story here:
    The Next webOS Phone? (Part I) | pivotCE

And there is this project, but it's hard to tell how usable it is and what the access to app stores would be like - which is the only point in having it really.
    Android in a Card (Pre3) | pivotCE
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    You are missing the back gesture there...
    And meta-Tap. Wait, what about the light bar? There is just something about the white led that palm chose to use. Even the car charger has white led.
    @ gselsidi

I'd love to see this happen.

However, how do you plan to plug the big hole in the project you've presented? Installing webOS...

Legacy is not being used, but it is still owned (mostly by LG, with cloud components still owned by HP). Would there be licensing? One assumes Ali Baba (or something similar) would be the source for finding an OEM to make the manufacturing run. Have you factored in the cost/time to have engineers refit Legacy for new hardware?

Or would you try to get Open Source running? Currently it's running Android drivers through a compatibility layer and to run on hardware it needs the Cyanogenmod driver components for the hardware model being ported. Would you spend time/money on having hardware drivers written from scratch for a new piece of hardware that has no Android drivers?

Inquiring minds want to know...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    @ gselsidi

I'd love to see this happen.

However, how do you plan to plug the big hole in the project you've presented? Installing webOS...

Legacy is not being used, but it is still owned (mostly by LG, with cloud components still owned by HP). Would there be licensing? One assumes Ali Baba (or something similar) would be the source for finding an OEM to make the manufacturing run. Have you factored in the cost/time to have engineers refit Legacy for new hardware?

Or would you try to get Open Source running? Currently it's running Android drivers through a compatibility layer and to run on hardware it needs the Cyanogenmod driver components for the hardware model being ported. Would you spend time/money on having hardware drivers written from scratch for a new piece of hardware that has no Android drivers?

Inquiring minds want to know...
    Nice. I was thinking this might not be so easy but most of this stuff way over my head.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast