Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    i'm wondering what download speeds people are getting these days, in a (webOS) world where we're either limping along with a 3G device (like myself), or making the most of the limited-availability H+ devices

I speed test using speedtest.net on my Dell laptop that is tethered through my FrankenPre2 to Sprint 3G CDMA. My Pre2 can't run the test on the website itself like my Pre3 could; i think because of a missing plugin required. So if anyone wants to compare similarly, this may be the way to do it. I did 3 tests this morning and 3 tests tonight for a fair average I reported below.

One of the things I'm confused about with HSPA technology, is whether it's the phone's hardware or just the carrier's tower network that improves performance of data speed. I'm particularly interested if the Pre2 GSM is now receiving anything closer to its spec'd HSDPA theoretical speed of 7.2 Mbps as we move into 2014. Have this year's "enhanced backhaul" improvements to GSM networks also improved performance in non-H+ rated phones like the Pre2 GSM?

For easy compare, please post your results (copy/paste) just like mine:

Phone model: Verizon Pre2 (with Franken mod)
    Carrier: Sprint
    Test site: speedtest.net
    Test scenario: Freetether app providing wifi to Dell E4310 laptop
    Ping: 102ms
    DL: avg 1.3 Mbps
    UL: avg .46Mbps
    Performance Enhancers? Y or N: YES - EVDO buffer settings tweaked

thanks in advance for your participation!
  2.    #2  
    fyi:

this "test scenario" method, using Freetether to run the test on some other device, WOULD NOT WORK with the Asus Nexus7 android tablet using the Ookla App.

The test would not complete because of "network connection error". So this method may require a device powerful enough to manage it, like a laptop. I suspect the android tab doesn't like the way Freetether handles data packets; or is simply optimized for higher data rates than 3G.
    Phone model: HP Pre 3
    Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands
    Plan: iSmart 150 - HSPA+ 14.4 Mbps
    Test scenario: Ran the test on the website itself in the stock webOS 2.2.4 browser
    Ping: 191ms
    DL: avg 1.56 Mbps
    UL: avg .1.58 Mbps
    Performance Enhancers? Y or N: YES - Unthrottle Download Manager and a few browser optimizations I did myself.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with reception, else the result might be a little off as I'm only getting 2-3 out of 5 bars here at home. If so, please tell me and I'll run the test outside.
    Phone: Pre 3 GSM
    Carrier: Straight Talk ATT SIM
    Plan: "Unlimited"
    Test site: Speedtest.net
    Scenario: Flash in browser (wow, it worked!)
    Ping: 426 ms (wth...?)
    DL: 4.72 Mbps
    UL: 0.73 Mbps
    Performance enhancers: Don't remember, but probably unthrottled.

Now where's our Pre 2 GSM test!?

And my prior experience wa also that this worked better with a tethered test. Maybe that was on my Pre 2 though?
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  5.    #5  
    oh hey also,

if anyone actually successfully completes a test through the phone's browser on a Pre2, i'd love to see the result.

i forgot the 2.2.4 has flash and will run the test, but something - lack of RAM, poor data signal - makes the test load and run weird on my Pre2's. Pre3 ran it fine so anyone know what the difference is? CPU power?? bring on the GSM Pre2 results!! lol

maybe a Veer test with lower mhz but higher hsdpa would answer that question for me. Veer test, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    oh hey also,

if anyone actually successfully completes a test through the phone's browser on a Pre2, i'd love to see the result.

i forgot the 2.2.4 has flash and will run the test, but something - lack of RAM, poor data signal - makes the test load and run weird on my Pre2's. Pre3 ran it fine so anyone know what the difference is? CPU power?? bring on the GSM Pre2 results!! lol

maybe a Veer test with lower mhz but higher hsdpa would answer that question for me. Veer test, anyone?
    Yeah, it is weird the Pre 2 struggles in browser. The Pre 2 manages RAM better, so must be the difference in processor? Anyway, tethering makes it an easy test.

As for Veer, it really depends on carrier too. Think I've mentioned, the HoFo people report that T-Mo H+ can hit 10 Mbps, whereas ATT seems to keep it around the max 4 Mbps level.
  7.    #7  
    2 new test results

Phone model: GSM Pre2 OEM unlocked
    Carrier: Net10
    Ping: 140ms
    DL: avg 3.2 Mbps
    UL: avg .1 Mbps (yes, .1 - the test was ending prematurely)
    Performance Enhancers? Y or N: N

Phone model: ATT Veer unlocked
    Carrier: Net10
    Ping: 150ms
    DL: avg 7 Mbps
    UL: avg 1 Mbps
    Performance Enhancers? Y or N: N

so there's your compare of a Pre2 gsm vs. Veer with the exact same ATT mvno SIM.

fyi: neither the faster cpu Pre2 nor the faster connection Veer would successfully perform the test in the phone's browser. both were quitting prematurely and acting erratic. I've only seen the test perform well on a Pre3. Snapdragon dual. awwww....
    ananimus likes this.
    Awesome! Weird UL on the Pre 2. In line with my ATT MVNO test for Pre 3, besides that UL. But Pre 3 max UL is also higher than the Pre 2, so there ya go.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Awesome! Weird UL on the Pre 2. In line with my ATT MVNO test for Pre 3, besides that UL. But Pre 3 max UL is also higher than the Pre 2, so there ya go.
    i'm guessing that the UL bad results may have been conflict with freetether time-out to prevent its tether connection. i was able to tweak CDMA buffer settings with my Sprint Pre2 (thanks to a thread here) but i doubt that's possible with GSM phones that don't have the ##DATA menus.