Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
Like Tree4Likes
  1. imurrx's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    #21  
    I agree the bad marketing before and during the HP acquisition, the rise of Android, and poor management from HP are the factors that killed webOS.

    Apple rushed out the iPhone 3G to compete with the Pre so any edge that the Pre had over the iPhone 3 was nullified. Palm could not complete with Apple and it's iPhone because the mass infatuation with it as well. When the Touchpad was announced and its long wait to hit the market allowed Apple to put out the iPad 2 ( same story different device ).

    Android came on the scene and grew like a weed and sucked up any remaining market that was for a non-iPhone. With the money of Google behind it and letting the free market mature the devices, it has hard for Palm/HP to forage on in this crowded market place.

    The Windows phone is an ongoing effort for Microsoft bumbling around just to stay in the game. They are desperatly trying to pivot to capture on this market because that is where the growth is, The have yet to make much headway and change peoples perception on their products.

    Blackberry is a sinking ship. They need to move on and realize that what ever they had edge wise is gone and they are running on borrowed loyalty. Unfortunately that can only carry you so far.

    Back to webOS. If Palm was able to get bought out with the right partner and had a better turnaround in hardware, they could have fared better. This is where they were outplayed by Apple. The management at HP and to lesser degree with Palm. The advertisement was atrocious with that creepy girl and did better when HP took over, but it was too late at that time.

    The whole rush to blow up the product line with out staying the course was poor as well. Long time ago there was a product called Oak out there and had no success but then when it was retooled and renamed Java, there was a new star being born. They should have flooded the market and with their devices and also did a limited licence with a 3rd party to manufacture so they can grab market share carpet bombing the market may have right some of the wrongs.

    Right now, it is pretty much done with. All we can hope for is some of the best elements of our beloved OS to work its way and influence future devices. If there is a cross platform standard that will allow one app market to sell apps to various OS, then webOS could have a future. Otherwise we will probably be stuck in a dicomity of Apple and Android.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

    Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
  2. #22  
    Store for all platforms? What? Isn't the whole point of Enyo to create apps that work everywhere, including browsers? No need for a store.

    Also, I disagree on the iPad 2 vs HP Touchpad story. It's not the long wait or the iPad 2 that killed it, it's the price and the initial lag that killed it. Had the HP Touchpad be priced a bit lower *and* the fluidity of webOS 3.0.2 when it launched, then it would've had a far better chance of selling.
    (and for what it's worth: what also could've helped was HP boosting their app department by a lot so that they could've payed 3rd parties to port their apps to webOS, and I'm not talking about Angry Birds, I'm talking about more popular apps)
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TechTechGoose View Post
    "How come webOS devises didn't sell well?"
    What are you talking about? May I tell you the truth ?

    The best selling devices that HP ever offered to consumers were the HP TouchPad and Pre3 !!!
    HP never offered devices before or after 2011 that were demanded more than these webos devices when they were on sale.
    HP Germany was sold out on these devices within few hours.
    People were waiting for hours in phone queues for hours to get one of these rare devices.
    In my office people queued at a phone where one HP sales person took order after order from the waiting line of people.
    Never before in history HP Online Shop (in Germany) was down for days because of the huge number of web access requests to order webos devices.
    People called me and sent email to ask for webos devices.
    Other shops did organize lotteries to select the few lucky buyers for the remaining webos devices.
    I think at that time on ebay devices were sold for twice the price HP was asking (during firesale).

    So how can you say "webOS devices did not sell well" ???

    Right - HP did not sell many webos devices in total. But this is only because HP was sold out and HP decided not to build anymore webos device (even until today). I think this was the worst decision in all HP history !!!


    You might want to ask: "Why did HP not sell more webos devices?"
    I think John Steffes gave valid reasons:
    "Then the big kicker, lets release the Touchpad throw a few AD's that do not really show the UI, then price it at the same as an iPad... Come on... Dumb Dumb Dumb..."
    Yes, HP Marketing was a complete fail at that time !!! Leo did the rest.
    Still HP has not recovered in webos land.
  4. gagetbOy's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I'm sorry for you. Welcome in our world. You now are spoiled, like the rest of us and can't easily switch to another OS.

    I wish you all the best... I'm so spoiled, none of the other mobile OSes out there could satisfy me (will try Sailfish, but I'm not convinced, yet... Windows Phone was a little hope, but looking closer it still is not close to webOS pleasure of use). So I'm spending all my spare time to work on open webOS and hope in getting it of my Galaxy Nexus some day... If you would have asked here before buying a Veer, I probably would have warned you. Now it's too late.
    Not trying to troll you can call me one if you like but hopefully you'll answer my question first:

    What makes you say that widows is like webos, this to me seems incorrect try as I might (demo phones in store or friends phones ) I cant get into windows.
  5. gagetbOy's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    "If only the browser would get updates"

    If only someone would help me with WebView on the Pre 3. Isis Web is already there, the only thing that needs to be done is get WebView to work on the Pre 3. Yet, even after begging no one wants to help me. Yet, more and people complain about the Pre 3 browser. Instead of complaining, invest that time in helping me, I'd say. Either you help me and get a more modern browser to run on the Pre 3 so that you can continue to use the most awesome phone on earth, or just complain until your hair turns gray and leave us behind to sail to Android shore.
    I really don't get why no one wants to help but keep complaining... that doesn't help you get a more modern browser.
    dude Id totaly help you but my programing skills are greatly lacking now.
  6. #26  
    What are the problems with the browser?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Store for all platforms? What? Isn't the whole point of Enyo to create apps that work everywhere, including browsers? No need for a store.
    Two reasons for a store:
    1. Non-techie users have an easy interface to download & manage apps. Even techie users sometimes just want to click, 'Install'.
    2. Developers have a mechanism to get paid for their work and are therefore more likely to develop for the platform - maybe even as a full-time job! ;-)
  8. imurrx's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Two reasons for a store:
    1. Non-techie users have an easy interface to download & manage apps. Even techie users sometimes just want to click, 'Install'.
    2. Developers have a mechanism to get paid for their work and are therefore more likely to develop for the platform - maybe even as a full-time job! ;-)
    Thank you for clarifying my reasoning.

    The other reason for a universal store is one stop shopping. I have bought the same program in webOS and in android for my touchpad and android and iTunes. If you can install the same app on multiple android devices with one account or multiple apple products with a single iTunes account, then why not between different os?

    Sent from my TouchPad using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

    Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Two reasons for a store:
    1. Non-techie users have an easy interface to download & manage apps. Even techie users sometimes just want to click, 'Install'.
    2. Developers have a mechanism to get paid for their work and are therefore more likely to develop for the platform - maybe even as a full-time job! ;-)
    My point is: if you create an Android app, then you need to do at least *some* porting to get it to work on webOS. So even if you have a store for all platforms, then you still need the right programming language to get apps to work cross-platform without much porting trouble. Therefore, a store by itself won't work. A unified programming language like Enyo (with a little help of Phonegap) solves that problem in this case. That's the whole point of Enyo. And in a worst-case scenario, you can always run the Enyo app without the store.

    2 is a valid point though, although (but this is just me) I feel more obliged to donate a nice sum of money to a great developer then to buy an app (with a few exceptions, ofc.)
  10. Xeron's Avatar
    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #30  
    in the uk, the biggest problem is that palm went exclusive with o2. The same carrier that also had an iphone exclusivity deal at that time. What incentive did they have to push the pre?

    if they'd gone with vodafone or orange, they would have sold pre's to customers wanting a decent smartphone.
  11. #31  
    O2 didn't have to have an incentive. Who says Vodafone and Orange were interested in the Pre in the first place? I mean, interest has to come from both parties. Just like why Palm went with Sprint in the USA instead of Verizon, because Verizon lost interest...
  12. Xeron's Avatar
    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #32  
    vodafone and orange were desperate for a credible iphone alternative at the time.
  13. #33  
    In that case I agree, it wasn't a smart move of Palm then to make a deal with O2.
  14. #34  
    People were excited about the Pre launch and Sprint had a big selling launch week. Why did it **** out? There are a ton of guesses and opinions.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by gagetbOy View Post
    Not trying to troll you can call me one if you like but hopefully you'll answer my question first:

    What makes you say that widows is like webos, this to me seems incorrect try as I might (demo phones in store or friends phones ) I cant get into windows.
    Huh? You must have misread me. What I wrote was:

    Windows Phone was a little hope, but looking closer it still is not close to webOS pleasure of use
    . So it is *not* Close to webOS. It is more pleasure to use than Android IMHO, but it still contains some unnecessary pain. That's my biggest issue... webOS is so much fun to use, because a lot of things just make sense and are done just right... and all those "living" systems out there don't get them right and make things unecessarily complicated and painful.
  16. #36  
    Two reasons for a store:
    1. Non-techie users have an easy interface to download & manage apps. Even techie users sometimes just want to click, 'Install'.
    2. Developers have a mechanism to get paid for their work and are therefore more likely to develop for the platform - maybe even as a full-time job! ;-)
    And whadda ya know: HP just laid the basis for your idea: http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps...re-online.html


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  17. #37  
    I have a feeling that apple paid out HP of someone in HP to kill webOS. And you will never convince me otherwise even though I cannot prove it.
  18. #38  
    Why didn't it sell well?

    Over priced, under developed and abused from it's owners.

    ( X-HP employee here )
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    and by then android and IOS has kindle apps for years.
    to be fair tho the kindle app is garbage in general even on ios/android, doesnt let you even zoom so reading some comics for example is completely impossible (my judge dredd/rogue trooper books for example), you cant even change orientation to horizontal to make the images larger.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  20. #40  
    the "new gen" webos stuff tho was killed off b4 they could gain any traction/updates, leo apotheker had a vision for HP, which didnt include phones/tablets/computers or anything except his enterprise stuff and printers.

    he tried to dump even their PC line when they "were" the no1 sellers in the world, as well as aborting webOS, if you read old news reports, he didnt even tell or talk to the palm staff or hp ppl partnered with the palm employees.

    The pre3 was the worst hit, leo's decision to junk everything landed on the very day the pre3 launched in europe, hows that for good management.

    HP were lucky they didnt totally lose their PC line and instigated some much needed damage recovery, as we know now tho, they clustered bigtime, pissed off a lot of retailers/manufacturers/consumers and dug their own much deserved grave.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whitman: We didn't give webOS a chance
    By rsanchez1 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 12/07/2011, 02:29 AM
  2. DVR recording devises
    By klynngullo in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06/10/2010, 08:27 AM
  3. If Palm didn't survive - what of WebOS?
    By bronxbomber in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03/19/2010, 09:29 PM
  4. The app that Android had and WebOS didn't
    By Goyena in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05/04/2009, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions