Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    Hello webOS Folks!
    vimeo.com is forcing my webOS phones (FrankenPre2s and Pre3 all running webOS 2.2.4) to their mobile site: vimeo.com/m/ unfortunately the current version (as of 11/19/2013) of their mobile site does not work for me and I cannot navigate properly or play videos. Previously I could use the "Desktop" version of their site, but currently the link to switch to "Desktop" does not work in my webOS phone browsers and I have posted to their forums about the problems here Vimeo: Desktop link in mobile site is not doing anything. Since I'm sure they have little incentive to fix things for webOS, I am exploring other options and want to know if anyone has tried something similar without forcing a trip to the doctor.
    Here's my idea:
    Since I can't get vimeo's mobile site to set a "opt_out_mobile" browser cookie for me, I want to inject a cookie into the browser-cookies.db.
    I've managed to connect to the db through openssh/putty and can access the vimeo cookies with the following code:
    Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "select * from Cookies WHERE domain_tail='vimeo.com';" | more
    and coming back to the terminal are rows like:
    Code:
    .|vimeo.com|/|__utmli|logo_holder|1384957360|0
    So I'm not sure why the first column is a period "." (all rows I looked at are like this), but it looks like the structure should be:
    Code:
    ., DOMAIN, /, COOKIENAME, TIMESTAMP, VALUE
    or in the case of the cookie I'm thinking of injecting:
    Code:
    .|vimeo.com|/|opt_out_mobile|1384957360|1
    I'm thinking that the command would be:
    Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "insert into Cookies values('.','vimeo.com','/','opt_out_mobile',1384957360,1); "
    Has anyone tried something like this?
    And if so, did you live to tell the tale?

Or better yet - Do you have a safer fix for Vimeo on webOS phones?

-Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    To be a little clearer,
    I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a different fix for vimeo on phones and/or

Does anyone have experience inserting rows in the browser cookie database and if so, do I need to set every column as in the example above, or do some columns get auto-populated such that the insert code might be:
    Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "insert into Cookies values('vimeo.com','opt_out_mobile',1);"
    Skipping the period, the slash and the timestamp.

-Thanks
    I hate to say this, but you may be wasting your time. I went there with my pre3 running the hulu patch (which fakes the user agent of both browser and flash version to desktop) and the result is that I get the desktop webpage just fine, but no videos ever start just black box when I click play.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I hate to say this, but you may be wasting your time. I went there with my pre3 running the hulu patch (which fakes the user agent of both browser and flash version to desktop) and the result is that I get the desktop webpage just fine, but no videos ever start just black box when I click play.
    Yeah, the embedded vids have been busted for over a year if I recall correctly, but the advantage of the desktop site is that many vids have MP4 'downloads' that you can either stream to the video player or download. That level of access is what I'm after.
    -Thanks for taking the time!
    Last edited by bbito; 11/20/2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo fix
    Never tried that! It works perfectly! I click download click on the video mp4 and it streams to the stock player on the pre3 and touchpad, all you have to do is fake the user agent...
  6. dwc
    Saw your question on internals.

Code:
    ., DOMAIN, /, COOKIENAME, TIMESTAMP, VALUE
    or in the case of the cookie I'm thinking of injecting:
    Code:
    .|vimeo.com|/|opt_out_mobile|1384957360|1
    Close. .schema says domain_head, domain_tail, path, name, value, expires, secure
    I have a ".translate." "googleapis.com" cookie (head, tail)

Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "insert into Cookies values('.','vimeo.com','/','opt_out_mobile',1384957360,1); "
    typically "secure" means secure-only. I'm guessing you'll want 0 for the last value.

Let us know how it goes. This is pretty safe as things go.
  7.    #7  
    Hey dwc,
    Thanks so much (I'll hit the thanks button when I'm the desktop site)!
    That schema is exactly what I needed - can you tell me what the sqlite3 command is to show it?
    Your post made me realize I was skipping a column in the example row when I was trying to determine the schema by deduction and just as importantly, let me know that the timestamp was expiration while I was assuming creation.
    -Very helpful!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwc View Post
    Saw your question on internals.

Close. .schema says domain_head, domain_tail, path, name, value, expires, secure
    I have a ".translate." "googleapis.com" cookie (head, tail)

Code:
    typically "secure" means secure-only. I'm guessing you'll want 0 for the last value.

Let us know how it goes. This is pretty safe as things go.
    Okay, I see the err of my ways thanks to your post and I was skipping the VALUE, thinking that last zero was a boolean for the cookie value rather than a separate boolean for 'secure'.
    Here's what I'll try and let you know how it goes:
    Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "insert into Cookies values('.','vimeo.com','/','opt_out_mobile',1,1481111111,0);"
    I was missing the 1 (true) for the opt_out_mobile value and I was going to set expiration in the past!

This seems to match the schema you provided:
    • domain_head: .
    • domain_tail: vimeo.com
    • path: /
    • name: opt_out_mobile
    • value: 1 (true)
    • expires: 1481111111 (07 Dec 2016)
    • secure: 0 (false) - not sure what this means, but I'll take your word for it!

-Thanks again, and I'll post back about how it goes!
    Last edited by bbito; 11/22/2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: remove space between semicolon and closing double-quote
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Code:
    sqlite3 /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db.com.palm.app.browser "insert into Cookies values('.','vimeo.com','/','opt_out_mobile',1,1481111111,0);"

-Thanks again, and I'll post back about how it goes!
    Like a charm!
    Now I can download or stream from Dub Projector on Vimeo

-Thanks again, dwc - your post helped immensely!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/22/2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Link removed
    dwc likes this.
  10. dwc
    That schema is exactly what I needed - can you tell me what the sqlite3 command is to show it?
    Glad you were able to get your issue resolved. It wasn't obvious, but the command was in there ... ".schema"

sqlite3 is also an interactive tool (sqlite3 foo.db) and you can enter all the schema/insert/select commands from there instead of as command line arguments (sqlite3 foo.db .schema)
    I have always copied the files to my pc and used a visual tool to look at and edit the database. This is probably safer for updates.

This thread did inspire me to take a closer look at the db8 databases in webOS 2.x and up. I much prefer being able to query with SQL, but I found some better docs this time around. I was finally able to fix an unimportant but annoying issue on my Pre3 - somehow my text conversation with my wife got tagged with my name when I restored my profile due to contact merging I guess. I was able to update the display name on the thread. Hooray for geeks! Thanks for the inspiration.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Glad it helped!
    While we're talking about inspiration, I should mention I never would have pursued this harebrained idea if I hadn't come across artxxork's post over here: Web cookies on TP. Where ars they stored?

Grabber5.0 -
    I'd encourage you to post a thread documenting your db manipulation it may turn up in someone's google search and inspire them to fix something else in their messaging database. Forum's like this are so valuable when you feel like you've got something 80% figured out and just need a few missing pieces.

I had documented my problems with vimeo's mobile site code on their help forum and then they took down the entire thread when I posted a link to this one in case any webOS folks wanted to hit their desktop site without masquerading their user agent, so kudos to webOSNation for fostering a community that is excited about poking around and experimenting!
    Grabber5.0 -
    I'd encourage you to post a thread documenting your db manipulation it may turn up in someone's google search and inspire them to fix something else in their messaging database. Forum's like this are so valuable when you feel like you've got something 80% figured out and just need a few missing pieces.
    Yeah I suppose I will. I had considered it, but since db manipulation is a pretty risky operation if you are not careful or if something goes wrong, I was hesitant. I don't want to be responsible for someone else screwing up their messaging history, or worse, since that db is shared across ALL apps that use db8 for storage.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah I suppose I will. I had considered it, but since db manipulation is a pretty risky operation if you are not careful or if something goes wrong, I was hesitant. I don't want to be responsible for someone else screwing up their messaging history, or worse, since that db is shared across ALL apps that use db8 for storage.
    I guess I felt that same caution 1, 2, and 3 years ago, but at this point it seems like one pretty much needs to "get under the hood" to keep these phones going.
    Last edited by bbito; 11/25/2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: delete duplicate phrase