View Poll Results: Which way should I go?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android phone without QWERTY keyboard you will get use to it.

6 28.57%
  • Blackberry Q5

2 9.52%
  • Blackberry Q10

11 52.38%
  • Droid 4 Party like it is 2010

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Without FACEBOOK Synergy (I am in China and I can't use PPTP vpn on the PRE3), without Linkedin Synergy , and now it looks like next month no more Skype Synergy

I will have to say goodbye to my PRE3.

All that being said, I have NO IDEA what to switch to. Here is what I know for a fact.

• I own an ANDROID tablet and while Jelly Bean is much much better than Gingerbread I used years ago. I still think the OS sucks.

• I despise touch screen keyboards

• Android is better than iPhone because I can switch to something slightly less horrible.

• The only Andriod phone I can think of in Motoroloa Droid 4 with a keyboard that slides out the wrong way.

• it is ancient!

Then there is the Blackberry Q5 and Q10

Both look like great phones... but I fear I'll find myself in the same place I was with Palm Pixi and Pre3. Great phone and now support and no apps.

Any input or third ideas are welcome!
    I honestly think you should look at the Q10. Blackberry has a really nice OS that many find an easy switch from webOS. If you want a QWERTY phone, that's the one I'd be checking.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I honestly think you should look at the Q10. Blackberry has a really nice OS that many find an easy switch from webOS. If you want a QWERTY phone, that's the one I'd be checking.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It is a lovely OS (I owned a BOLD before a PIXI). And the 10.0 looks great.

But I worry about the future.

I love not having the same phone as everyone else in China (Samsung Galaxy Note)... But I also don't want to watch something I love die again.
    Last edited by jckatz; 11/08/2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Nokia E6.
    mattmers, ananimus and xandros9 like this.
    I'm with jckatz, the BBs have no future so I would not consider jumping from WebOS to another dying platform, however great it is. WebOS is great too but unless it gets some new hardware options and traction in the market it will become (if it hasn't already) the new AmigaOS - strictly for enthusiasts only.

I voted that you should try to get used to a touch keyboard, much as I hate them too, as that seems to be the only way in the future. You can always get a BT keyboard, maybe in a nice flip case or something. Far from ideal but will help when you want to type more than a couple of words.

I was an Acorn fan and watched them die (unless you count ARM of course), then Psion (same story), now Palm... well, you get the picture. I like to be a bit different but I won't consciously get involved with something I know has no future. I'd love to be proved wrong about BB but I really don't think I will be and I don't see Windows Phone going anywhere in the short or medium term either so that rules out Nokia too.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 11/08/2013 at 05:34 AM.
    jckatz likes this.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    We don't yet know for sure how BlackBerry will do in the next years.
    However the hardware is great, actually fixes various issues we've all known from Palm/HP, like extremely poor battery performance and problems using UMTS/HSDPA at poor network signal strength. Actually these are things, in which a Q10 performs exceptionally well. The OS was actually hugely inspired by WebOS, thus for me the decision was clear, and I've been getting happier with it ever since.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    jckatz likes this.
    I would ask folks to not judge a platform by the hearsay that is floating around. You do see the irony in this, right? That stuff and those whispers about whether or not a company will be around very long are what kept more people from trying webOS, and we hated that people wouldn't just try it for themselves and see what we knew about the OS. BB is in the same boat now. They have a good OS, but people are doing exactly the same thing at they did to the Pre. They are in the same boat we were in a couple of years ago. They are also in a better position than Palm ever was in many ways. Don't let fear of the future keep you from trying out their products! /2cents
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/09/2013 at 12:43 AM.
    BB10 can run Android apps. I used older BlackBerries for work (last one I tried was 8820 or so). Hardware quality was always decent and battery life was good too. If build quality is the same it's not a bad choice I guess. I'd prefer it over Android, iOS or WP if I had to choose. But I'll stay on legacy webOS (either my Veer or Pre 3) untill Ports has a proper release out and will then orientate on the hardware that would suit me best.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I briefly got the Galaxy Relay and actually liked it. Basically an S3 without LTE and a QWERTY keyboard. Though the one I got had a serious bug which kept zero-ing out files on the SD card and randomly rebooting.

I think I just got a dud and actually seriously considering getting another one. They can be had for around 200 bucks on Amazon.

But considering you're thinking the Droid 4, you're on Verizon so probably won't work.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    jckatz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    Without FACEBOOK Synergy (I am in China and I can't use PPTP vpn on the PRE3), without Linkedin Synergy , and now it looks like next month no more Skype Synergy

I will have to say goodbye to my PRE3.

All that being said, I have NO IDEA what to switch to. Here is what I know for a fact.

• I own an ANDROID tablet and while Jelly Bean is much much better than Gingerbread I used years ago. I still think the OS sucks.

• I despise touch screen keyboards

• Android is better than iPhone because I can switch to something slightly less horrible.

• The only Andriod phone I can think of in Motoroloa Droid 4 with a keyboard that slides out the wrong way.

• it is ancient!

Then there is the Blackberry Q5 and Q10

Both look like great phones... but I fear I'll find myself in the same place I was with Palm Pixi and Pre3. Great phone and now support and no apps.

Any input or third ideas are welcome!
    Go with the Droid 4, its really durable and has dust partial shock and spill proofing. The best part is, barely anyone has one
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    The Motorola Defy Pro looks like a nice phone but it is only Gingerbread. A newer one is the NEC Terrain which might be worth looking into, especially if you'd like to have a ruggedized phone. Still only ICS though, no Jelly Bean. :-(
    Actually scratch that, you're in China, so China Mobile CDMA. Have you considered Motorola Photon? Might be able to make that work considering the original Pre was Sprint CDMA as well and it was able to be modded on.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

13. Ax
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have a Z10 and Q5 now, still have my PRe3 as secondary. I'm quite happy with it, and I don't think Blackberry is going to die any time soon, so either Q5 or Q10 would be a good choice!
    I'd say the Q10 unless you're willing to take the plunge and buy the new Jolla phone (like I did) because there's already a QWERTY keyboard "other half" in the making and China is the next market for Jolla (they already have a second HQ there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I'd say the Q10 unless you're willing to take the plunge and buy the new Jolla phone (like I did) because there's already a QWERTY keyboard "other half" in the making and China is the next market for Jolla (they already have a second HQ there).
    Wait.. what? You got a Jolla?

What's it like?

Got time to do a review?
    No, I don't have it yet, it'll ship to me within the next 2 weeks.
    If you hang in there, T-Mobile might have something coming up:
    LG Optimus F3Q with slide-out keyboard leaks, bound for T-Mobile | Electronista

Tri-band LTE, Quadband UMTS. Dual core Snapdragon 400. I think I might be holding out for this to see if it's any good. And looks like it's going to be cheap as well, considering the keyboardless version is already out and selling for 169-199. Verizon has the same phone as well but no LTE and CDMA only (LG Enact).

Tough choice though, since Relay actually has CM 10.2 official.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you hang in there, T-Mobile might have something coming up:
    LG Optimus F3Q with slide-out keyboard leaks, bound for T-Mobile | Electronista
    Ugh. Landscape QWERTY is sooooo 2005.

Oh, and if it is 800x400, beware maybe? Don't nonstandard screen resolutions sometimes have an issue with apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Oh, and if it is 800x400, beware maybe? Don't nonstandard screen resolutions sometimes have an issue with apps?
    Pretty sure that's a typo, considering the F3 already on sale is 800x480.

Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yup, I experimented with a landscape slider back in 2006 (sold my Treo 650 to get it) but I found it to be horrible to use. It didn't help that it was windows mobile but the keyboard was a pain to use as well so I only stuck it out for about 10 months before selling it on and getting a Treo680.

I guess it is slightly better than a separate BT keyboard but only just.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast