Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to try webos. What are the flagship webos devices and what are the budget ?

And what is the os like to use ?, why is it called webos ? Can you use the device offline or do you have to stream your os as you use it ?...as you can tell I'm clueless about this os and I'd like to learn more.

My current device is an HTC EVO 3D running Android ics (android 4.0.3) running stock HTC sense and Android.
    Hi there!

This forum offers a lot of threads for some "light reading" about our beloved WebOS.
    So you are at the right place.

Here are a few more links for you to read and get up to speed:
    WebOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

Hope you find what you're looking for
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    To respond to the title of your post, there are no webOS devices currently in production.

Auction websites can probably supply you with any webOS device at a reasonable price. Some are fans of the tiny Veer, your best bet is the Pre3, but the Pre2 is perfectly good and will be a cheaper option.

There are a few versions of the HP Touchpad tablet and it has benefitted from a few software upgrades. It can boot into webOS, Cyanogenmod Android & Linux. An Application Compatibility Layer is currently in beta. This allows Android apps to run under webOS.

webOS has been open sourced and is in the process of being ported to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This is also now an aging phone, but it is hoped that the initial port will move easily to other Nexus devices and phones with unlocked bootloaders. The tablet target is the Nexus 7.

It is very easy to 'root' webOS. WebOS Quick Install will allow access from your computer and you can install Preware from webOS-internals. This is an alternative app catalogue allowing easy install of the homebrewed apps and patches to customise the system.

webOS is generally considered to have been an advanced system for it's time as it multi-tasked with a card interface and synchronised contacts, calendars and email accounts from across the web (or cloud). Unfortunately, Palm was almost out of money when it was released and the early hardware had poor build quality. A sale to HP brought better hardware, but they failed to really stand behind the system in the way that (for instance) Microsoft have continued to push windows phone, despite the slowness in gaining market share.

Many believe the OS never had the chance to fulfil it's potential and many of it's notable features have now been incorporated into the latest versions of iOS and Android. You may find you love it or might be put off by the shortage of apps. Maybe read this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...ml#post3405931
    lansing likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    I'd like to try webos. What are the flagship webos devices and what are the budget ?

And what is the os like to use ?, why is it called webos ? Can you use the device offline or do you have to stream your os as you use it ?...as you can tell I'm clueless about this os and I'd like to learn more.

My current device is an HTC EVO 3D running Android ics (android 4.0.3) running stock HTC sense and Android.
    its pretty late to join up, but welcome!

The TouchPad is the only easily-obtainable tablet, the Pre3 is the most recent flagship but is harder to find and is more expensive than the Pre2 which is solid but not as new and fancy.
    The HP Veer is kinda on-par with the Pre2, but is lower end than the Pre3.
    Prices range from $20 on craigslist if you're lucky to a couple hundred from more reputable sites.

The OS is a joy to use, although it depends on what you value, albeit lacking in recent apps and can be buggy at times depending though.
    It's called webOS because the apps are primarily written in web-code. HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. You can use the devices offline of course, no streaming.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I still prefer webOS to any other phone OS. It is clean and very intuitive. I went from android 2.3.3 back 2 years ago and got a Pre and Pre2 and made a FrankenPre2 on the Sprint network.

I miss the most is the swipe navigation. The ability of going backwards in a app with the slide of your thumb along the bottom of the screen is the thing I miss the most. The up curving swip to minimize the app and then flicking to the next was years ahead and still functionally better than iOS7 and Android 4+.

The screen notifications on the phone were non obtrusive and very easy to use.

Everyone now is using the swipe action to delete as an action in the OS.

Unfortunately I had to switch because the phone had cracked, Sprint dropped the navigation app, and I could no longer access certain mobile websites due to the out dated browser on the phone.

So if you are going to try it, make sure get either a Pre 3, Veer or the Touchpad. My Touchpad is still very functional. Only a few websites will not work. I have installed Cyanogen mod on it and never use it. I have purchased ACL from PIC so I can use Android gingerbread apps on the phone. I have realized that only Netflix was the app I missed from android. The Pre 3 and Veer, correct me if I am wrong, an updated browser.

If there was a new webOS phone for Sprint, I would have switch to that. For now, I am loving my Moto X.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    I'll take a crack too! I'll shoot for short answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Title
    what webos devices are still in production today?
    None.

The Touchpad (tablet), Pre 2 (phones, VZW and GSM versions), Veer (GSM phone) or Pre 3 (GSM phone).

The Pre 2 should be easily found for $60 or so. This one had the last long run of official support. All devices after the Pre 2 saw a minimum of official support, but still lots of community (this forum!) support.

The Veer is the last tiny version and the Pre 3 was the last flagship. The Pre 3 was never officially launched. Veer < $100, Pre 3 ~$150.

And what is the os like to use ?
    Awesome. Contact integration, search, notifications and multitasking beat the snot out of everything else.

why is it called webos ?
    The apps were originally meant to be written mostly in web tech languages like JavaScript. Apps could then be easily scaled and any web developer could write apps. Eventually they added deeper programming capabilities.

Also, it was meant to integrate tightly with the web with search, contacts, etc. It does that very well still!

Can you use the device offline or do you have to stream your os as you use it ?
    It works perfectly offline. It synchronizes if connected, but survives 100% without.

...as you can tell I'm clueless about this os and I'd like to learn more.
    Welcome to webOSNation!
    if you activate a Pre Plus on Verizon, you still get free 3G hotspot capabilities. This may be why the plus version gets a higher price on ebay than the 2...