Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
Like Tree50Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hewlett-Packard Said to Be Seeking to Sell Mobile Patents - Bloomberg


    Whitman initially turned WebOS, designed for smartphones and tablets, into an open-source software project and rebranded it as a wholly-owned subsidiary called Gram. She sold the operating system’s code to LG Electronics Inc. (066570) earlier this year.

    Hewlett-Packard retained WebOS’s patents under that deal and licensed them to LG. The agreement would be unlikely to encumber Hewlett-Packard’s ability to sell its WebOS patents, one of the people with knowledge of the sales process said.
    That together with falling profits in TV sector could be perhaps rather negative for the LG webOS development, if not LG is buying all the webOS patent stuff?
  2. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #2  
    Oh how I wish Rubenstein and a consortium would buy them, including the name "Palm, Inc."....


    ... OK back to reality...

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    Oh how I wish Rubenstein and a consortium would buy them, including the name "Palm, Inc."....


    ... OK back to reality...

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Time for another webOS Kickstarter...?

    ;-)

    I guess we can only hope for LG to take this. Samsung, Google, Microsoft, Apple will use these patents only to protect their existing systems.
    eKeith and MAMISHO like this.
  4. ThePrambler's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #4  
    Hey guys,

    According to Bloomber/TheVerge, HP is looking to sell WebOS mobile patents...
    HP looking to sell webOS mobile patents, says Bloomberg | The Verge

    Who do you think should buy this? I'd say someone who can bring good classy products out of this again... HTC seems to come to mind, but they're in too much deep sh!t now to be able to do anything... What do you guys think?

    Cheers!
    ThePrambler

    PS: Have been lurking here for a while now, but this is my first post
  5. #5  
    Unfortunately at this point I have a feeling the only reason someone would buy it is to protect themselves. To me that would leave the obvious choices of

    Apple-they just ripped off webOS cards etc anyways, would only make them stronger with patents vs google

    Google-this would be my choice. It would allow Matias Duarte to really put webOS features into android with no limits.

    Samsung-they have that new OS coming, sailfish or tizen or something, that could let them expands

    HTC-if they had the cash, it may let them add features to their skin, but I don't see that happening.

    LG-this would make sense since they own the code for webOS now, but if someone else got the patents, wouldn't that make LG infringe on whoever does buy the patents since they own the webOS layout from the code?

    Microsoft-just because they have $. Doubt they'd use the features, but to project themselves with a portfolio

    P.S. I always wonder why stories like this aren't posted on webOSnation news anymore...I know they cut back, but its still "news" about webOS
    jrb363, mattmers and Rnp like this.
  6. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #6  
    As much as I wish something would come out of this...I just don't see it. Most people have forgotten about webOS and I doubt LG has any use for it since we would have heard something by now.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  7. ThePrambler's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #7  
    LG would not have trouble with the patents because HP has given them a license to use the webos/palm patents... So LG would only end up paying the new owner instead of HP...
    boovish likes this.
  8. #8  
    How many Pesos to Purchase the Palm Patent Portfolio???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    boovish, xandros9, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    As much as I wish something would come out of this...I just don't see it. Most people have forgotten about webOS and I doubt LG has any use for it since we would have heard something by now.
    Be patient. The original press releases said 2014. It's still 2013.

    I sure hope that I have been putting in 55+ hours a week working on something, and not nothing. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    RumoredNow, Rnp, jrb363 and 1 others like this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Be patient. The original press releases said 2014. It's still 2013.

    I sure hope that I have been putting in 55+ hours a week working on something, and not nothing. :-)
    I suppose you are not allowed to share what you've been working on either..
  11. #11  
    <threads merged>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Hewlett-Packard Said to Be Seeking to Sell Mobile Patents - Bloomberg




    That together with falling profits in TV sector could be perhaps rather negative for the LG webOS development, if not LG is buying all the webOS patent stuff?
    I've never held out much hope for the TV thing anyway. Even if they do pull it off, webOS stripped and skinned for an appliance would be like putting a Triple Crown winner in a kids petting zoo.

    C
    Last edited by C-Note; 10/24/2013 at 05:47 PM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
    Unfortunately at this point I have a feeling the only reason someone would buy it is to protect themselves. To me that would leave the obvious choices of

    Apple-they just ripped off webOS cards etc anyways, would only make them stronger with patents vs google

    Google-this would be my choice. It would allow Matias Duarte to really put webOS features into android with no limits.

    Samsung-they have that new OS coming, sailfish or tizen or something, that could let them expands

    HTC-if they had the cash, it may let them add features to their skin, but I don't see that happening.

    LG-this would make sense since they own the code for webOS now, but if someone else got the patents, wouldn't that make LG infringe on whoever does buy the patents since they own the webOS layout from the code?

    Microsoft-just because they have $. Doubt they'd use the features, but to project themselves with a portfolio

    P.S. I always wonder why stories like this aren't posted on webOSnation news anymore...I know they cut back, but its still "news" about webOS
    Apple did rip them off, and so did google and many other android makers. Ever seen HTC's multitasking? I should post a vid.

    Google would just ruin it, and so would samsung, just turning it into so gimmicky crap like Ubuntu Touch OS or Firefox OS.

    And HTC just makes overall garbage. Excluding the One, but not the Max or Mini
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  14. #14  
    Apple, no. HTC, sammy, LG, Sony would just skin it so bad that it will no llonger be recognizable as webos. I would want up and comers like Oppo that offers vanilla android would be a good steward.
    boovish likes this.
  15. #15  
    I'm sure there are a bunch of former Palmers that would love to get the band back together so to speak similar to the Palm/Handspring experience, but 1) I doubt the money is there, and 2) HP so badly screwed things up that I don't know if anyone with the money can see a way to restore the brand.

    I know I am not the only one that wants a WebOS phone to replace my aging BlackBerry, but these days if it doesn't say IOS or Android, it doesn't seem to get any traction. Look at the new Blackberry OS, and that one can run Android apps. Windows is trying, but they have enough money that they almost don't care - see the Surface - they just want to say they have a competing device even though it's a small share of the marketplace.

    I had an iphone and I didn't care for it. Same with a Galaxy 3. It's OK, but just not as intuitive as my Touchpad in moving around the OS. I have not played with a pre 3 yet, but I'm thinking about getting one still.
    Rnp, jrb363 and ThePrambler like this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I'm sure there are a bunch of former Palmers that would love to get the band back together so to speak similar to the Palm/Handspring experience, but 1) I doubt the money is there, and 2) HP so badly screwed things up that I don't know if anyone with the money can see a way to restore the brand.

    I know I am not the only one that wants a WebOS phone to replace my aging BlackBerry, but these days if it doesn't say IOS or Android, it doesn't seem to get any traction. Look at the new Blackberry OS, and that one can run Android apps. Windows is trying, but they have enough money that they almost don't care - see the Surface - they just want to say they have a competing device even though it's a small share of the marketplace.

    I had an iphone and I didn't care for it. Same with a Galaxy 3. It's OK, but just not as intuitive as my Touchpad in moving around the OS. I have not played with a pre 3 yet, but I'm thinking about getting one still.
    Well said sir, well said!
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    purplepansy likes this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
    ...

    P.S. I always wonder why stories like this aren't posted on webOSnation news anymore...I know they cut back, but its still "news" about webOS
    Because Derek ain't here anymore.

    As for the sale: I wonder why HP is not sueing the cr*p outa Apple for the cards thing. That could bring them real dough!
    On the other hand I am happy that they are too silly to use the patents that way, so the ideas of WebOS keep living on and might be developed further by other companies who have something that HP lacks: a vision.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I've never held out much hope for the TV thing anyway. Even if they do pull it off, webOS stripped and skinned for an appliance would be like putting a Triple Crown winner in a kids petting zoo.

    C
    Im not sure I agree with you, I just bought a LG smart TV and although its not webos based, their entire "smart" feature layout is perfect for webos. It already uses cards, the magic remote is gesture based so it could really work. And if that made things like netflix, BBC iplayer and other "apps" more webos friendly maybe there could be hope for us mobile users yet.

    Ok so that last bit is pure fantasy, but Im intrugued to see what LG do with their smart TV's in 2014
    Last edited by steven_farkas; 10/26/2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    RumoredNow, Rnp, jrb363 and 1 others like this.
  19. #19  
    Hummm... I'm interested to buy... BUT only if come with the name "Palm" together...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    laingman likes this.
  20. #20  
    I hope LG will buy them. Even better, I hope HP won't sell anything.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    boovish and MartinH@webos like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hewlett-Packard: Still In The Game
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09/28/2011, 03:32 PM
  2. Memo to Hewlett-Packard
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/22/2011, 10:25 PM
  3. Hewlett-Packardís Look-East Strategy
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/25/2011, 12:56 PM
  4. Who Would Buy Hewlett-Packardís PC Business?
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/24/2011, 11:09 AM
  5. Who else should Hewlett-Packard buy?
    By Gaurav in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08/20/2010, 05:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions