Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
Like Tree50Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    I hope LG will buy them. Even better, I hope HP won't sell anything.
    There are two minds on this.

    If there is ever going to be ANY hope of WebOS coming back from the mostly dead, and if HP has totally washed themselves of the entire palm debacle, then selling them might be our only chance of anything happening.

    BUT

    They have to be bought by an entity that is willing to put the time and effort in for the benefit of WebOS and not to add to their patent portfolio just for piecemeal use or for their own protection and or enrichment. I am thinking Apple in this regard. Regretfully, unless someone has heard anything from Ruby or any other former Palm people it will most likely be purchased just for this reason and will essentially spell the end of WebOS (sniff) so in this case I would hope HP would keep what they have.

    Open WebOS will live on, but the current status of it outside of the Ports team and homebrew work is minimal at best unless a large vendor decides to take a chance on and sell a phone built specifically for Open but I think, at least in the US, we are stuck with IOS and Android. Anything else is fringe, at best. Look at Blackberry and Windows. HP really had a window in 2011 where Android was not as fully matured as it is now that they might have had a shot if they were willing to take the chance. But, like a lot of American companies these days they blinked.

    Instead of a firesale, maybe they should have actively gone after the ipad and cut their prices not to the extent of the firesale, but less than an ipad, take a bit of a hit on the hardware that would have been less than what they lost at firesale prices, and get WebOS in peoples hands. It might have attracted more devs to build for WebOS and at LEAST give the OS a fighting chance and not throw in the towel after 6 weeks and once we were orphaned, the only apps are from the few and the faithful ( Thanks Kalemsoft and Splashtop, and all of the individuals that kept us going in the AppStore or Preware.) Had they launched the Go, it would have beaten the ipad mini by a year and with the pre3 touch to share was months ahead of Samsungs' similar feature. Just think where it would be now. We might be at WebOS 5.0 and who knows what the hardware could have been.

    We would need someone willing to do that for there to be ANY chance for WebOS to claw their way back but sadly I just don't see it.

    Someone prove me wrong...please.
  2. ewl88's Avatar
    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
    Unfortunately at this point I have a feeling the only reason someone would buy it is to protect themselves. To me that would leave the obvious choices of

    Apple-they just ripped off webOS cards etc anyways, would only make them stronger with patents vs google

    Google-this would be my choice. It would allow Matias Duarte to really put webOS features into android with no limits.

    Samsung-they have that new OS coming, sailfish or tizen or something, that could let them expands

    HTC-if they had the cash, it may let them add features to their skin, but I don't see that happening.

    LG-this would make sense since they own the code for webOS now, but if someone else got the patents, wouldn't that make LG infringe on whoever does buy the patents since they own the webOS layout from the code?

    Microsoft-just because they have $. Doubt they'd use the features, but to project themselves with a portfolio

    P.S. I always wonder why stories like this aren't posted on webOSnation news anymore...I know they cut back, but its still "news" about webOS
    The patent wars seem to have calmed down.
    I'm sure patent trolls would love to own those Palm patents and then sue their way to wealth.
    But HP (even though hopelessly inept) probably won't do this since that would be being a bad neighbor.
    I don't think Android cares about these patents. Their awkward OS (I now I have samsung galaxy 3) is doing fine.
    Apple isn't worried about HP suing them. Neither is google.
    Samsung is tied to google's apron for now. Though it could be interested in updating Tizen on its nonandroid phones.
    LG makes the most sense. Maybe LG is happy with open webos and impressed enough to buy the whole set. Then it has a strong foundation if it wants to make an adroid alternative even as a hedge. It's probably being 2nd or 3rd in android world. They can do the work on open webos for the tvs so the effort isn't wasted and the smart tv world is not owned by anyone. They and others must be worried about apple tv. webOS elegance + real engineers could be a good protection since the south korean/chinese tv manufacturers aren't very good at software.
    If HP doesn't have delusions it can sell to a friendly LG. That's the hope I have.
    lansing likes this.
  3. ThePrambler's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #23  
    Pipe dream, I know... But whoever buys should bring Ruby back into the scheme of things... He knows how to make things work... Ruby still regrets selling to HP. Maybe his regrets/guild will bring him back? LOL
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    I don't think Android cares about these patents. Their awkward OS (I now I have samsung galaxy 3) is doing fine.
    Apple isn't worried about HP suing them. Neither is google.
    Indeed. That's the question: why hasn't HP already come out with a completely justified "Hey you, get rid of thy horrible emulator of MY cardview!" against Apple? Aside from getting money because of this, I'd love to see Apple being put in a quite awkard situation ("Err... Ok, MAYBE our cardview isn't so revolutionary...") by an inferior company such as HP.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
  5. #25  
    I played around with a friend's iPhone for a while (iOS 7) and I didn't find the multi app "cards" to be much like WebOS other than being able to quit an app by swiping it up.
  6. #26  
    Hmmn, Whitman said in early 2012 she would assess webOS in two years to see what activity it created. Now it seems like she is exiting and selling all the assets.
    HP buying webOS-what a waste, I agree with Ruby.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I suppose you are not allowed to share what you've been working on either..
    LG Silicon Valley Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I've never held out much hope for the TV thing anyway. Even if they do pull it off, webOS stripped and skinned for an appliance would be like putting a Triple Crown winner in a kids petting zoo.

    C
    Well, I think the world has proven that we can take all of the webOS UI and jam it onto any other system, and it still doesn't really work like webOS. All the other systems now have webOS style UI. SO, it's not the UI that makes webOS webOS. What is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrambler View Post
    Pipe dream, I know... But whoever buys should bring Ruby back into the scheme of things... He knows how to make things work... Ruby still regrets selling to HP. Maybe his regrets/guild will bring him back? LOL
    Considering that he was there for the entire lifetime of webOS, from prior to the first Pre, to the end of the TouchPad, I'm just going to guess that he's not the best candidate for savior.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Be patient. The original press releases said 2014. It's still 2013.

    I sure hope that I have been putting in 55+ hours a week working on something, and not nothing. :-)
    I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it looks like those hours you been punching on working around WebOS has been much in vain(another word waste of time) with the company LG. I think that it comes a time that the word patience doesn't cut it any more when it comes to WebOS due to the fact that competing companies are not resting in their laurels when it comes to developing newer phones/tablets and updating their OS. Google's operating system is evolving so is iOS and also Microsoft's windows mobile while Open WebOS remains just illusion simply a dream without any real motion under LG wing.....there hasn't been any real updates since a months from now(to be exact February), if LG was serious right now we could be seeing Open WebOS 2.0.

    And to make matters worse for WebOS, LG simply appears not to care much of the palm's forgotten operating system beyond manufacturing silly appliances which its all irrelevant to the importance of WebOS to gain any market share in the mobile space. All rumors point LG created mobile devices powered Google OS and even netbooks running on chrome OS, which really doesn't spell much confidence of LG to create WebOS devices.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    ... without any real motion under LG wing.....there hasn't been any real updates since a months from now(to be exact February), if LG was serious right now we could be seeing Open WebOS 2.0.

    ...
    And again you bash the wrong people.
    LG never said, they would deliver WebOS-Updates for you. They said they want to develop WebOS for their TVs. Thats what they do. And when they are ready, they will deliver a nice TV with something on it, that might look like WebOS or might not ...

    WebOS as a company OS for mobile devices is history. Leo and the HP aftermath saw to that. HP Was not (and probably never will be) able to further creative and innovative new systems. Heck, they are "just so" able to run hackling behind the mobile marketing, building halve baked, boring Android devices.

    If you still wait for a new WebOS phone, while noone is promising to make one, I would recommed you to stand in front of a mirror and blame the one you're looking into the face. Your sence of entitledness, believing that someone "OWES" you a new WebOS version or even a new device, feels very much displaced to me.

    And there are no "rumours" of LG building Android devices ... hello? They are doing that for years now and with the G2 they actually delivered a very fine product. Why in the world would they endanger all that by suddenly switching to an OS that has NOTHING anymore, no devs, no apps, no infrastructure, no marketshare? Even if you think they "should" do it because of what you call "the importance of WebOS" ... well, WebOS is important to you, to me and a handful of other people.
    That alltogether is not important enough to win a copper-pot in the race on the mobile market.

    Face it. Game over. Sad as it is.

    The importance of WebOS is and was a "proof of concept", showing the mobile market what is possible. Some manufaturers are wise enough to take up one concept or the other and incorporate these ideas into their productline. WebOS helped furthering the user experience.
    That is important enough I think.

    So far my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 10/28/2013 at 08:17 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    steven_farkas likes this.
  10. ewl88's Avatar
    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    And again you bash the wrong people.
    LG never said, they would deliver WebOS-Updates for you. They said they want to develop WebOS for their TVs. Thats what they do. And when they are ready, they will deliver a nice TV with something on it, that might look like WebOS or might not ...

    WebOS as a company OS for mobile devices is history. Leo and the HP aftermath saw to that. HP Was not (and probably never will be) able to further creative and innovative new systems. Heck, they are "just so" able to run hackling behind the mobile marketing, building halve baked, boring Android devices.

    If you still wait for a new WebOS phone, while noone is promising to make one, I would recommed you to stand in front of a mirror and blame the one you're looking into the face. Your sence of entitledness, believing that someone "OWES" you a new WebOS version or even a new device, feels very much displaced to me.

    And there are no "rumours" of LG building Android devices ... hello? They are doing that for years now and with the G2 they actually delivered a very fine product. Why in the world would they endanger all that by suddenly switching to an OS that has NOTHING anymore, no devs, no apps, no infrastructure, no marketshare? Even if you think they "should" do it because of what you call "the importance of WebOS" ... well, WebOS is important to you, to me and a handful of other people.
    That alltogether is not important enough to win a copper-pot in the race on the mobile market.

    Face it. Game over. Sad as it is.

    The importance of WebOS is and was a "proof of concept", showing the mobile market what is possible. Some manufaturers are wise enough to take up one concept or the other and incorporate these ideas into their productline. WebOS helped furthering the user experience.
    That is important enough I think.

    So far my 2 cents.
    As others have said, LG wants webOS to work on smart tvs. The regular tv market has become a stagnating commodity market after HD tvs became ubiquitous. (3D wasn't a huge success and 4K hasn't moved people to line up for tvs). Formerly no name brands are becoming= brand names and keeping the profit margins low. (lots of companies have given up- pioneer did- and plasma tv is being overcome by LCD/LED) So LG has to get out of the commodity market and wants their own version of smart tvs to succeed. Google hasn't made inroads yet and Apple hasn't released their market killer yet. samsung just started into this market. (Looks like newest samsung smart tvs may be running Tizen) So webOS has a chance in this market. The phone market is at least for now owned by apple and android. If LGs efforts help the homebrew developers as a side-effect and accelerate their efforts, then webos fans may be able to get a functional open Webos phone version in the future. That's the best probable case scenario.
    On a unrelated side note, I think open Webos had a chance in cars. Lots of the luxury cars are trying out their smart cars with apps and they're not getting good reviews. Cadillac's CUE is panned. Lexus mouse system isn't great either. These are proprietary systems with limited usuability and they could have benefited from a friendly intuitive system like webOS. I remember HP (under Leo) did talk about using webos in different industries but the spectre of failure probably dissuaded any car companie from licensing webOS at that time.
    Preemptive and RumoredNow like this.
  11. #31  
    I think there's a lot of people (read: developers) who still don't believe that the time is right (or perhaps never will be right) to use the Web as a platform for anything but the simplest of anything. Facebook set the Web App world back quite a lot back in early 2012? was it? when they were talking crap about how it's just not viable. Yet their "native" apps appear to basically be webapps with a wrapper around them for some special functions.

    I think that that is just not true. With a reasonably well tuned environment, I truly believe that web apps, and especially the Enyo framework, can truly shine as a fantastic cross-platform user interface. A problem with that approach, some people might say, though, is that for an app that needs a more complex backend, then you need to mate that with platform specific code. WebOS has, I feel, by far, the best design for mating a 100% standards compliant HTML User Interface to far more complex backend code -- and you can do it all in Javascript! Node.jsjsjs $is$ $extremely$ $powerful$, $and$ $especially$ $with$ $the$ $recent$ $upgrade$ $to$ $node$ $0$.$10$, $you$ $can$ $do$ $all$ $kinds$ $of$ $amazing$ $things$. $Add$ $to$ $that$ $the$ $totally$ $designed$-$for$-$responsiveness$ $service$ $bus$ $for$ $servicing$ $all$ $requests$, $and$ $all$ $things$ $from$ $interfacing$ $to$ $native$ $code$, $javascript$ $services$, $and$ $all$ $that$ $become$ $much$ $simpler$.

    Anyone can do cards, but so far, no one has come even close to making a system that is as easy to develop for.

    The next problem is convincing developers of it. I know, because I am an app developer.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I think there's a lot of people (read: developers) who still don't believe that the time is right (or perhaps never will be right) to use the Web as a platform for anything but the simplest of anything. Facebook set the Web App world back quite a lot back in early 2012? was it? when they were talking crap about how it's just not viable. Yet their "native" apps appear to basically be webapps with a wrapper around them for some special functions.

    I think that that is just not true. With a reasonably well tuned environment, I truly believe that web apps, and especially the Enyo framework, can truly shine as a fantastic cross-platform user interface. A problem with that approach, some people might say, though, is that for an app that needs a more complex backend, then you need to mate that with platform specific code. WebOS has, I feel, by far, the best design for mating a 100% standards compliant HTML User Interface to far more complex backend code -- and you can do it all in Javascript! Node.jsjsjs $is$ $extremely$ $powerful$, $and$ $especially$ $with$ $the$ $recent$ $upgrade$ $to$ $node$ $0$.$10$, $you$ $can$ $do$ $all$ $kinds$ $of$ $amazing$ $things$. $Add$ $to$ $that$ $the$ $totally$ $designed$-$for$-$responsiveness$ $service$ $bus$ $for$ $servicing$ $all$ $requests$, $and$ $all$ $things$ $from$ $interfacing$ $to$ $native$ $code$, $javascript$ $services$, $and$ $all$ $that$ $become$ $much$ $simpler$.

    Anyone can do cards, but so far, no one has come even close to making a system that is as easy to develop for.

    The next problem is convincing developers of it. I know, because I am an app developer.
    It's an interesting idea that webOS might return to mobile by becoming ubiquitous in other sectors. Aside from LG TV's, I think someone here has made an app to interface with car diagnostic systems (DigiOBD), there are already navigation and media player apps, so a move into automotive should be fairly smooth - assuming any manufacturers are interested! It might be a bigger ask than a new webOS phone or it might be the case that the barriers to entry are actually lower.
    joeytino likes this.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    On a unrelated side note, I think open Webos had a chance in cars. Lots of the luxury cars are trying out their smart cars with apps and they're not getting good reviews. Cadillac's CUE is panned. Lexus mouse system isn't great either. These are proprietary systems with limited usuability and they could have benefited from a friendly intuitive system like webOS. I remember HP (under Leo) did talk about using webos in different industries but the spectre of failure probably dissuaded any car companie from licensing webOS at that time.
    Further to a Touchpad-like system in a vehicle, this concept has me curiously wondering if a Touch-to-share ability could be available (in the dash), allowing one to carry a particular function with them on their mobile phone or even tablet (after existing the vehicle).

    As well, one could receive:
    • notifications on the system;
    • emails via text-to-voice (as driving & reading would be negated);
    • sms - voice to text messaging (and reverse scenario when receiving)
    • ability to call up contacts (and query one's database for info - ie. Contacts address, display contact picture & profile, etc.);
    • mapping & GPS related options (of course);
    • video calls;
    • Voice-to-text Note system (like Evernote);
    • Vehicle status reports (ie. Next oil change, fuel situation that ties in with imputed destination, etc).


    The list is endless.

    webOS's UI would be a perfect compliment - especially for those men who claim " yes honey ... I know where we're going"

    .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hewlett-Packard: Still In The Game
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09/28/2011, 03:32 PM
  2. Memo to Hewlett-Packard
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/22/2011, 10:25 PM
  3. Hewlett-Packardís Look-East Strategy
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/25/2011, 12:56 PM
  4. Who Would Buy Hewlett-Packardís PC Business?
    By ilovedessert in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/24/2011, 11:09 AM
  5. Who else should Hewlett-Packard buy?
    By Gaurav in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08/20/2010, 05:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions