Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By Alex1958
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By Buddy1969
  • 1 Post By mjensen71
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  1.    #1  
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/12/fo...-photocopiers/

    Really for bad for Ruby and palm in general
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  2. #2  
    was a pretty good read tho.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #3  
    Now I has a sad.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, if they hadn't gone open source, HP could have kept doing webOS with all the money they make. Especially off of samesung. (They bought the E from GE. They are just G now
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  5. #5  
    Thanks for sharing. The article was very interesting to those of us who believe in WebOS. I own a Palm Pre +, Palm Pre 2, and a TouchPad as well as an iPad. When the OS on my iPad was recently updated to iOS 7, I couldn't help but notice how familiar it was to me, how reminiscent of the WebOS I know and love. I began to wonder if Apple might be sued by HP for patent infringement for the unauthorized use of intellectual property, unless HP's decision to make WebOS an open source platform negates any claims they may have in that respect. Then, I did a little research and found this interesting article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57578833-37/apple-pays-$10m-to-license-palm-other-patents/. Unless there is more to this story than meets the eye, I guess this would make Apple's adoption of WebOS features perfectly legal. Personally, I don't care who owns WebOS or how it is labeled. I would just like to see it survive and develop into the OS we all know it can and should be. Everything about WebOS was/is so natural and easy to use.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  6. #6  
    Thanks for the article
    It's sad, because Palm truly was the pioneering company of the mobile industry and webOS was so innovative. It is almost like you can feel Ruby's anger at how things turned out for Palm. He and the team put a lot of themselves into that OS and took a lot of chances. So sad.... :*(

    And as our our EIC pointed out to me on Twitter.... he posted an article about this on the Front page about this:
    http://www.webosnation.com/jon-rubin...e-hp-was-waste
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/06/2013 at 02:04 PM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Thanks for the article
    It's sad, because Palm truly was the pioneering company of the mobile industry and webOS was so innovative. It is almost like you can feel Ruby's anger at how things turned out for Palm. He and the team put a lot of themselves into that OS and took a lot of chances. So sad.... :*(

    And as our our EIC pointed out to me on Twitter.... he posted an article about this on the Front page about this:
    Jon Rubinstein: Validated, but Palm sale to HP was "a waste" | webOS Nation
    How should he[Ex Palm CEO Mr.Rubenstein] feel knowing that LG has their hands on the OS, and those stupid idiots are only going to use WebOS to make home appliances and televisions
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    How should he[Ex Palm CEO Mr.Rubenstein] feel knowing that LG has their hands on the OS, and those stupid idiots are only going to use WebOS to make home appliances and televisions
    At least someone is making something out of it. therefore I don't think "stupid idiots" is nailing it.
    LG has their range of smartphones including distributors, mobile providers etc.

    You can't just put webOS on a smartphone and give it to i.e. O2 and tell them: "sell em". They won't take that because they know theyx wont sell it.
    There is no business to be made anymore with an aged OS that has no infrastructure and an AppCatalog that has dust and spiderwebs all over. Putting WebOS up and running on an actual phone and tablet costs a lot of money (if it even CAN be done). LG probably can't see how they would ever reach ROI with that, not mentioning that they should earn something with an enterprise like that...

    Sorry.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    At least someone is making something out of it. therefore I don't think "stupid idiots" is nailing it.
    LG has their range of smartphones including distributors, mobile providers etc.

    You can't just put webOS on a smartphone and give it to i.e. O2 and tell them: "sell em". They won't take that because they know theyx wont sell it.
    There is no business to be made anymore with an aged OS that has no infrastructure and an AppCatalog that has dust and spiderwebs all over. Putting WebOS up and running on an actual phone and tablet costs a lot of money (if it even CAN be done). LG probably can't see how they would ever reach ROI with that, not mentioning that they should earn something with an enterprise like that...

    Sorry.
    Then I have to wonder why LG even bothered to spend so much money buying WebOS in the first place only to use it on home appliances and TVs.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
    Then I have to wonder why LG even bothered to spend so much money buying WebOS in the first place only to use it on home appliances and TVs.
    People aren't enthusiastic about smart TVs, they just don't understand why they should buy a smart TV instead of a regular one just because of a bunch of functions and features only a few persons make use of. So LG is planning to make computer(?)-alike smart TVs thanks to webOS, trying to offer a great and truly difference-making smart TV. , maybe it'll be a revolutionary television, maybe it won't, we have absolutely no idea of what's going on into their heads when they think about webOS.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
  11. #11  
    To my way of thinking, they should replace the remote control of an LG Smart TV with a webOS enabled tablet. It really needs to be a bundle thing where you get both items. Their TV's become a value added product. This way you change channels, surf your home recordings, display pictures etc., to your TV. It's like a big monitor for your tablet. That's just my opinion.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
    Then I have to wonder why LG even bothered to spend so much money buying WebOS in the first place only to use it on home appliances and TVs.
    There was something about hitting a dead end with the smartTV software they were using before ...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
    Then I have to wonder why LG even bothered to spend so much money buying WebOS in the first place only to use it on home appliances and TVs.
    Specifics of the deal were not disclosed, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for a very low amount or even for free for LG just because they took over the team from HP and HP was more than happy to let them go. Maybe even HP paid LG to take the team, who knows?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    At least someone is making something out of it. therefore I don't think "stupid idiots" is nailing it.
    LG has their range of smartphones including distributors, mobile providers etc.

    You can't just put webOS on a smartphone and give it to i.e. O2 and tell them: "sell em". They won't take that because they know theyx wont sell it.
    There is no business to be made anymore with an aged OS that has no infrastructure and an AppCatalog that has dust and spiderwebs all over. Putting WebOS up and running on an actual phone and tablet costs a lot of money (if it even CAN be done). LG probably can't see how they would ever reach ROI with that, not mentioning that they should earn something with an enterprise like that...

    Sorry.
    Well, agree with a few points in your argument about releasing a WebOS smartphone with the current aged OS into the market wouldn't be much of a smart idea at the moment. However, I hate to say but its silly talk to say it could cost any money to LG to create device with Open WebOS...we both know that is not true at all. It could cost the same amount of money as any ridiculous unimpressive android device that LG manufactures like the G2 smart phone out there in the market and again its look pretty much the same as any other smartphone by Motorola/HTC/Samsung. If LG could somehow find a way to release utilize webOS, it could help differentiate themselves from being another boring android device. Only thing that it would cost LG is time, innovation, effort and time which lets be a bit honest is not their biggest forte of LG...all they know is making appliances not handling software so I guess I'm might be asking too much out of LG.

    And talking about infractrusture of WebOS, why not LG continue with the work of Palm when they were trying to bring WebOS 3.0 to smartphones but instead now be called Open WebOS. LG will be close to celebrate their first anniversary of owning WebOS, what do they got to show for it? Nothing at all, just promises of silly televisions and toasters running WebOS....we all want WebOS to be made or to be used in anything, we praising WebOS to succeed....but the directions of what LG is making out of WebOS makes it seem like in the words of Mr Rubenstein when he came to describe HP purchase of Palm..."Another Waste".
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/09/2013 at 03:26 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    ... However, I hate to say but its silly talk to say it could cost any money to LG to create device with Open WebOS...we both know that is not true at all. It could cost the same amount of money as any ridiculous unimpressive android device that LG manufactures like the G2 smart phone out there in the market and again its look pretty much the same as any other smartphone by Motorola/HTC/Samsung. If LG could somehow find a way to release utilize webOS, it could help differentiate themselves from being another boring android device. Only thing that it would cost LG is time, innovation, effort and time which lets be a bit honest is not their biggest forte of LG...all they know is making appliances not handling software so I guess I'm might be asking too much out of LG.
    You misunderstood. The effort is not "building the smartphone". Chinese slave labour will do that, likewise as it does it for Apple and Google Phones of all kinds.
    The effort and money is in the non existent infrastructure.
    Even if they had the necessary drivers to put WebOS on an LG2 (=wet dream of a fan like you and I ) there would still be:
    1) Modernizing WebOS (=big time task,=expensive)
    2) Nimbus of the "failed OS", for those who still remember (=massive marketing costs to overcome this)
    3) Unknown by so many people around the world, where even the Palm and HP WebOS devices were never sold (=massive marketing costs to overcome this)
    4) No existing software infrastructure (please don't argue about the already dead AppCat) which means you have to invest in massive incentives for the programmers
    5) Probably some now- some ongoing later - investment necessary in the languishing HP cloud services (=costs, costs, costs)
    6) Buildup of support personnel and repair services (=big time costs)
    7) Buiding a business model for the WebOS devices which gives massive incentives for the mobile providers to sell the new WebOS devices (=takes some creative thinking and a very hard low-margin cost-profit calculation)

    ... and probably more things that accumulate to the same thing:
    TIME, MONEY, PEOPLE ...
    in short: ressources, and massively so.

    I know, the dream of having a high powered WebOS device with all the apps you want is big enough for us fans to make even the most intelligent of the community dream naive dreams, but the reality is a bit more dire than most of us might admit.

    Nevertheless, maybe I am too pessimistic and you are right and just putting WebOS on an up to date LG smartphone solves all the problems by itself ... I would want that. Really.
    I just can't lie so blatantly to myself, though ... Sorry
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  16. #16  
    If LG wanted they could pull a lot of things off easily. A lot of points you mention are valid, however you seem to forget that LG is in a different boat compared to Palm (I won't mention HP because they simple screwed up with the resources and network they had).

    Point by point:

    1) Modernizing WebOS (=big time task,=expensive) Agree, a big task which could go quicker if they would work more closely with the community (see Ubuntu)
    2) Nimbus of the "failed OS", for those who still remember (=massive marketing costs to overcome this)OK but not impossible, Microsoft managed to get quick a reasonable market share in < 1 year
    3) Unknown by so many people around the world, where even the Palm and HP WebOS devices were never sold (=massive marketing costs to overcome this). Marketing, Samsung (in the past) & Huawei (now) were also unknown to the general public. Nothing that some marketing campaigns can't fix
    4) No existing software infrastructure (please don't argue about the already dead AppCat) which means you have to invest in massive incentives for the programmers. This should be easy for them to sort. They have their CURRENT Smart-TV platform and infrastructure. I'm sure they could rebuild/recycle this to use with webOS. Additionally they can put in Android compatibility using ACL, Myriad or any other technology or make easy ways to port apps.
    5) Probably some now- some ongoing later - investment necessary in the languishing HP cloud services (=costs, costs, costs) See above, they have their own infrastructure already for their SMART-TV Platform
    6) Buildup of support personnel and repair services (=big time costs) They already have the left-over webOS and Enyo division + their support personal for Android that they could use
    7) Buiding a business model for the WebOS devices which gives massive incentives for the mobile providers to sell the new WebOS devices (=takes some creative thinking and a very hard low-margin cost-profit calculation)They already have the connections and network in many countries, so it's easier compared to Palm which only had this in a few countries globally
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/09/2013 at 10:22 AM.
  17. #17  
    We can keep on arguing and building castles in the air until the end of our lives, or perhaps we can just wait for LG to come out with news about their objectives and intentions while being realists: there's hope, though little, for webOS, but we have to wait for the next year to come, at least.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
  18. #18  
    There is hope for Webos, just not on a phone.
  19. #19  
    I stick with what I said.

    About Herries arguments about how they can use existing infrastructure and ressources, I think you see this a bit too easy.

    i.e. you can't just use the Android personal to support WebOS people for two reasons:
    1) they know Android and not WebOS, so even if you use the same people you have to school them...
    2) LG won't drop Android. WebOS might in the most optimistic view be something like "Tizen", a backup. So they will still need the Android support personal. Therefore they would have to hire new ones.

    This is but ONE example of how problems are in the detail.
    It all surmounts to a huge pile of money, which a company would have to spend on an endevour which has no forseeable outcome and is therefore highly risky...
    What company would take such a plunge into the uncertain?

    LG?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  20. #20  
    HP never gave webOS the importance of those pioneering features and let it die with crappy hardware. IMHO
    RumoredNow likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09/06/2011, 10:17 PM
  2. Apple MagSafe patent for iOS devices
    By ToniCipriani in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08/17/2011, 11:24 PM
  3. Ruby Disses Android and iOS
    By Kupe in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01/04/2011, 02:41 PM
  4. Is HP's Ruby the 'chip head' Apple wants?
    By ilovedessert in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08/10/2010, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions