Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    I made a second video with a side by side comparison. I had to use a friend HTC phone, and it kept changing the exposure like crazy, so sorry about the light flares. I just re-uploaded it, after I remembered, 'Oh yeah, I have an iPhone 5'

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkDNSW7-HYo[/YT]

Last edited by boovish; 09/20/2013 at 10:16 PM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    You didn't show moving them around or anything like that
    The double click on iphone is annoying b/c of it's resistance having to actually press it twice. Swipe up motion for cards view on webOS is so much easier.
    and its still impressive for the webOS side when you think its new large dev tem vs old small team.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I found it frustrating that the cards on iOS7 still don't truly multitask. When you switch away from one app and come back to another many still need to reload. The update appears to have also had a significant effect on the performance of my iPad2 also. To top it off I really find iOS7 pretty fugly!
    i've got an iPhone 5 here (that I've never used) that I put iOS 7 on to play around with and I totally agree. Apple has beautiful transitions between apps, but the actual implementation of their version of the 'cards' metaphor isn't great. What seriously amazes me is how they still keep that ancient feeling physical center button to switch between views and bring up cards. It's such a massive pain to have to keep doing the press and hold on that stupid button to get to cards. All I could think of with this update was how far backwards in looks they seemed to step. Not to mention keeping the cards buried behind that button action.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/20/2013 at 09:56 PM.
    ananimus and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    I found it frustrating that the cards on iOS7 still don't truly multitask. When you switch away from one app and come back to another many still need to reload. The update appears to have also had a significant effect on the performance of my iPad2 also. To top it off I really find iOS7 pretty fugly!
    They made it behave like that save battery is what I heard.

But what do you mean IOS 7 is ugly? IOS has always been ugly to me. I think I will never own an iphone because I just can't get past the icons. They are sooo loud, one can spot an iphone a mile away. And it seems like they couldn't decide if they wanted to make them square or round
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    You didn't show moving them around or anything like that
    Sorry, I will make another better vid tomorrow. This one was not very good due to time constraints
    Dear Apple,

C'mon boys, you can surely do better than THAT!

Sincerely,

WebOS 2009

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/20/2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Could not agree more jccmml7! Well said. Can't wait for the day some fanboi shows me their "fancy new card multitasking". "Oh you mean the thing I've been doing since 2009?"

The other huge fail with iOS7 is the control center. I've brought it up by accident at least a dozen times when I'm scrolling down a page. I predict that one will be a top pet peeve very soon.
    purplepansy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    Dear Apple,

C'mon boys, you can surely do better than THAT!

Sincerely,

WebOS 2009

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This reminds me of old amiga days once again, when winblows 95 was coming out and the world / windows fans were raving about having preemptive multitasking, amiga fans just raised an eyebrow of disinterest and said windows95 welcome to amiga workbench 1985.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    This reminds me of old amiga days once again, when winblows 95 was coming out and the world / windows fans were raving about having preemptive multitasking, amiga fans just raised an eyebrow of disinterest and said windows95 welcome to amiga workbench 1985.
    @mjensen71 Don't you mean up? or are you talking about the notification center. I like the control center, but they need to make it have to come up with 2 swipes in applications and 1 on the home screen

@geekpeter I remember my old Mac Pro had multitasking, I think it was with Mac OS 7
    Wonder why Mathias Duarte didn't copy this frst for Android.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    @mjensen71 Don't you mean up? or are you talking about the notification center. I like the control center, but they need to make it have to come up with 2 swipes in applications and 1 on the home screen

@geekpeter I remember my old Mac Pro had multitasking, I think it was with Mac OS 7
    system7 was still mid/late 90's i think.

ye olde snippet from wiki'failure

The earliest preemptive multitasking OS available to home users was Sinclair QDOS on the Sinclair QL, released in 1984, but very few people bought the machine. Commodore's powerful Amiga, released the following year, was the first commercially successful home computer to use the technology, and its multimedia abilities make it a clear ancestor of contemporary multitasking personal computers. Microsoft made preemptive multitasking a core feature of their flagship operating system in the early 1990s when developing Windows NT 3.1 and then Windows 95. It was later adopted on the Apple Macintosh by Mac OS 9.x [2] as an additional API, i.e. the application could be programmed to use the preemptive or cooperative model, and all legacy applications were multitasked cooperatively within a single process. Mac OS X, being a Unix-like system, uses preemptive multitasking for all native applications, although Classic applications are multitasked cooperatively in a Mac OS 9 environment that itself is running as an OS X process (and is subject to preemption like any other OS X process).

my bad example tho was just that its nto the first time a company/product does something well, then later or much later others do the same but history gets rewritten in the heads of the users of the newer/surviving/larger techbase, pretty much how multitasking via cards will probably "become" an apple thing and webOS or anyone else whos used the system will simply get forgotten.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/21/2013 at 10:12 AM.
    I still think the pair gesture area-cardview is the best one, so webOS is still better when it comes to do some serious multitasking. However, I have to admit Apple emulated it not so badly, they're on the right way to make it even better than ours, but the physical home button isn't a good choice, actually it's a limit. I believe the gesture area is way better than any other button, also it's the fastest way to access multitasking on a phone I've ever seen.
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 09/22/2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    I still think the pair gesture area-cardview is the best one, so webOS is still better when it comes to do some serious multitasking. However, I have to admit Apple emulated it not so badly, they're on the right way to make it even better than ours, but the physical home button isn't a good choice, actually it's a limit. I believe the gesture area is way better than any other button, also it's the fastest way to access multitasking on a phone I've ever seen.
    I agree wholeheartedly, The deprecation of the TouchPad gesture area to a home button was one of the biggest disappointments with that device. But, HP had a focus group and people didn't "Get it". ...so Hello home button. Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes, "You were not put upon this earth to 'Get it', Mr. Burton." At least Palm had enough faith in the unwashed masses to think they were trainable.
    Last edited by namgod; 09/23/2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge
    ill wait b4 i even attempt to look at ios7, only apple thing i have is an ipad3 and ive heard nothing but bad stuff in several forums, shutdowns/crashes/etc with ios7 on the ipad3 so far, so i think ill let it erm, mature, im in no real rush, still very rarely use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, The deprecation of the TouchPad gesture area to a home button was one of the biggest disappointments with that device. But, HP had a focus group and people didn't "Get it". ...so Hello home button. Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes, "You were not put upon this earth to 'Get it', Mr. Burton." At least Palm had enough faith in the unwashed masses to thing they were trainable.
    Yeah. I saw that the windsornot had home button also
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    i've got an iPhone 5 here (that I've never used) that I put iOS 7 on to play around with and I totally agree. Apple has beautiful transitions between apps, but the actual implementation of their version of the 'cards' metaphor isn't great. What seriously amazes me is how they still keep that ancient feeling physical center button to switch between views and bring up cards. It's such a massive pain to have to keep doing the press and hold on that stupid button to get to cards. All I could think of with this update was how far backwards in looks they seemed to step. Not to mention keeping the cards buried behind that button action.
    Completely agree. Unfortunately, from a design perspective and in hindsight, I think the Gesture Area never took off because of discoverability.

If you purchased a Pre or knew what it was ahead of time, then you saw the gesture tutorial at first use or know in advance how it works. But if you just pick it up, there's little obvious cue what the glowing light at the bottom can do. For a button it's more obvious since all you can do is push it. For onscreen icons it's even more clear as there's a small visual indicator of the action.

Every time I hand my phone to someone to do anything other than look at something I already opened, I inevitably hear, "Um... How do you make it [mundane task]?" If I show them the puzzlement slowly fades and usually it's, "Oh. That's pretty cool." But they're always confused.

Of course one could argue that an "average" person wouldn't think to do multiple physical button mashes to do other things either. Hmm. But yeah. Maybe that stupid iPhone button is a necessary evil to have mass appeal? More's the pity, because the gesture area's so darn fluid/natural and really doesn't take but a moment to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Completely agree. Unfortunately, from a design perspective and in hindsight, I think the Gesture Area never took off because of discoverability.

If you purchased a Pre or knew what it was ahead of time, then you saw the gesture tutorial at first use or know in advance how it works. But if you just pick it up, there's little obvious cue what the glowing light at the bottom can do. For a button it's more obvious since all you can do is push it. For onscreen icons it's even more clear as there's a small visual indicator of the action.

Every time I hand my phone to someone to do anything other than look at something I already opened, I inevitably hear, "Um... How do you make it [mundane task]?" If I show them the puzzlement slowly fades and usually it's, "Oh. That's pretty cool." But they're always confused.

Of course one could argue that an "average" person wouldn't think to do multiple physical button mashes to do other things either. Hmm. But yeah. Maybe that stupid iPhone button is a necessary evil to have mass appeal? More's the pity, because the gesture area's so darn fluid/natural and really doesn't take but a moment to understand.
    It took me a while to get used to the gesture concept coming from a flip phone to a Sprint Pre. However, once I got the hang of navigating with gestures and intuitiveness of the WebOS UI, it has been HARD, I mean REALLY HARD to switch to another OS. I just ordered my fourth Sprint Pre from Ebay. Stuck on Sprint because I'm in a family plan and the other members don't want to switch carriers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast