Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By bethel95
  • 2 Post By etphoto
  • 1 Post By etphoto
  1.    #1  
    BBC News - Sony Smart Stick to challenge Google Chromecast dongle

its all about sony/google tbh but far far down the bottom of the article webOS gets a rare mention that isnt negative, dont know why its briefly mentioned as the others have actual products out and LG is still beavering away making something.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    xandros9 likes this.
    I continue to hear and read webOS references with respect to iOS 7, all of which are of the "like webOS did" variety (and a few with "but not as well" appended).

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    xandros9 and geekpeter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I continue to hear and read webOS references with respect to iOS 7, all of which are of the "like webOS did" variety (and a few with "but not as well" appended).
    Hehe.. well 'we' always knew it (webOS) was ahead of the pack.. and Duarte's influence is beginning to unmistakeably crop-up in the latest Android UI's now too.

C'MON LG!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Paul Thurrott mention Webos a few weeks ago on Windows Weekly. He did so in a positive way as well saying it was a good OS that for some unknown reason didn't survive. They were talking about BB10 when he mentioned Webos.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    xandros9 and anon8091350 like this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Paul Thurrott mention Webos a few weeks ago on Windows Weekly. He did so in a positive way as well saying it was a good OS that for some unknown reason didn't survive. They were talking about BB10 when he mentioned Webos.

WebOS didn't survive because 1) Palm had screwed up repeatedly for years and was in a worse position financially than Blackberry is now, and 2) HP didn't know what it was doing, or more accurately it didn't have a coherent plan for webOS after Mark Hurd was forced to resign.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Yeah, I know. I was just trying to point out he thought our favorite OS was a good one.

Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    iOS still doesn't do anything "as well"
    We had 4 years ago what they delivered today !!!!

Vas
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    iOS still doesn't do anything "as well"
    We had 4 years ago what they delivered today !!!!

Vas
    As a former pre/pre2 user (jumped to IOS after an accidental Sprint/frankenpre re-activation snafu) and current WebOS 'good ol day-er' I can attest that IOS 7 does bring back some good memories. IOS7 finally implemented card multitasking and the phone experience is fun again. I know phone webos may never come back, but it is good to see its legacy live on!
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    As a former pre/pre2 user (jumped to IOS after an accidental Sprint/frankenpre re-activation snafu) and current WebOS 'good ol day-er' I can attest that IOS 7 does bring back some good memories. IOS7 finally implemented card multitasking and the phone experience is fun again. I know phone webos may never come back, but it is good to see its legacy live on!
    Indeed my wife upgraded her iPhone 5 last night, and I used it a bit today and it's almost 100% identical to WebOS with the card metaphor and everything.

Part of me wonders, if HP/PALM was still making phones... (1) if Apple would have done this and (2) if so, I bet there'd be some lawsuits flying over it!
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    Indeed my wife upgraded her iPhone 5 last night, and I used it a bit today and it's almost 100% identical to WebOS with the card metaphor and everything.

Part of me wonders, if HP/PALM was still making phones... (1) if Apple would have done this and (2) if so, I bet there'd be some lawsuits flying over it!
    It's really not much better than the old method other than tossing them away. It still shows apps you haven't had open in days or even weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post

HP still holds patents, no matter if they build phones or not.
    And HP is in dire need of money.

Why there are no lawsuits is beyond my knowledge, but a good oldfassioned "my lawyer will beat the cr*p outa you" might a) spill some money into the war chest and b) make it public that it wasn't Apple who invented the whole thing...

But hey, this is HP we are talking about ... and when was the last time HP made something right?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  12.    #12  
    maybe they get small backhanders somehow, id like to think something similar happened with their printers, didnt lots of printers from other manufacturers come complete with HP Laserjet Series II and other alike HP compatible print drivers to make their printers more compatible to the mass market?

sounds liek the very thing a company would get some minor funds for, isnt that what happens with microsoft/others for audio/video codec support and the likes.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<