Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Here's the long story below, but short story, what is the worst thing about leaving Pre?

Long story: I'm having a mini phone crisis. lol. I love my Palm. I guess it is what is now referred to as Pre minus? The original Palm Pre. I love him so much. Been using him since the day i stood on line. For some reason, not even sure why, i'm moving on. Maybe i just want a faster phone. And a bigger screen. The chase banking app and citibike information.

Android has never appealed to me, i've always heard it is glitchy and stuttery and laggy, etc. Whatever it is, nothing i've heard about it has every really made me want to switch. But i'm trying to see videos of my dog on this tiny screen, etc so lo and behold the Moto X is coming out and it has a couple things that appeal to me. Whatever they are. Dunno. There's something a little intelligent about it, and voiceless controls seem cool. But the closer i get to moving on the harder it gets. I know that Android cannot offer what web os does, that's been clear since day one. So today i went to a carrier to really see what this Android has that i know web os does best, multitasking Eh, it was whatever. Unfun that's for sure. But it was faster, so i liked that. Bigger screen, liked that. Everything else was a snooze fest and clearly weak but whatever. I'm also worried about notifications and i'm sure other stuff is missing from the o/s, cohesion for sure. But for those who left and are either still with android or who have come back, what's the worst i will run into with Android that will make me want to come back to my Pre?
    Tough question. I picked up an S3 last August and it did take me some time to get used to it. I would guess almost a month before I was really comfortable using it, even with my CM7, CM9 and CM10 on my TouchPad. I thought the keyboard would be a bit of a pain, and it was. I picked up SwiftKey (alternate keyboard in Play) and it's actually pretty accurate.

Homebrew was always fun or me, seeing the latest, greatest in Preware. There's nothing similar with Android. I suppose one could call XDA (website) loosely similar.

Android Central, while similar, isn't nearly the same as this site here. With so many different variants of devices, I find it very clique-y there, with a lot of opinions and rants. Useful information is a lot harder to sift through, lol.

I don't find multitasking that difficult...it's no webOS, but it's just something I've gotten used to. There were certain apps, bigger screen, better camera that I wanted and when the price dropped to $0 with resign and my contract came up, I went for it.

Ultimately you're going to have to figure out what exactly you want in your phone. Whether apps are or aren't important, and if so which ones and where they are available. Size of course,, but I think soon when the smart watches start rolling out, will become less important, especially if you use a BT headset for calls, and you can read a text off your wrist. If none of that matters, maybe it's a smartphone with a 41MP camera you want which Nokia makes, forget the model, for WP.

Not to bash BB, but things really aren't looking promising at this point in time, but I think there's a few people around here that could offer more insight on their devices, I really haven't looked at them, so I'm not the best person to ask.

I just noticed that was your first post so WELCOME! (and what took you so long? Lol)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If none of that matters, maybe it's a smartphone with a 41MP camera you want which Nokia makes, forget the model, for WP.
    That would be the Nokia 1020. I just heard Paul Thurot's review of it on last week's Windows Weekly podcast, and he raved about the camera. Andy Inhatko (on last week's MacBreak Weekly podcast) said it was the first phone camera to be truly superior to the iPhone 5. If photos and videos are at the top of your features list, and if you can put up with the limitations of the Windows Phone ecosystem, then the 1020 might be worth looking at. If all you need is a better camera and a larger screen than a Pre-, then I'd recommend the Preł--that way you'd get to keep all the webOS goodness that you've come to love (and more, since you can get some things through Preware for 2.2.4 that aren't available for 1.4.5).

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Android isn't as glitchy as it sounds, my understanding is that manufacturers add on stuff to differentiate their offerings and that can bog down performance. Samsung's TouchWiz can be a tad different than say, HTC's Sense UI. I don't know about the other skinned stuff, but in my experience in using stock Android based CyanogenMod 9/10, notifications are like webOS in the way they pop up in the status bar (unlike peeking up from the bottom) and the icons accumulate in the status bar as well.

In my time with Android, I'd say the worst is the occasional annoyance and learning curve. It might be annoying in that the "workflow" might not be as fluid as webOS, but depending on you, it's workable. You'll learn the ins-and-outs eventually.

I'd like to bring up Windows Phone and BB10, not saying they're mind-blowingly amazing or anything, but have you looked at those? (although BB definitely has seen better days.)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    paisley99 likes this.
    As someone who just recently purchased an HTC One and is playing in the Android sandbox right now, I can tell you that the 'glitchiness' of the OS was an issue long ago, but not really in the new devices. Nothing is perfect and all phones will crash or need a restart once in a while to get them running 'smooth' again, but that's just the way of the electronics world right now.

If you are looking for a device that is cool and runs great out of the box without having the root it, or run in dev mode to access stuff - you'll want a Windows phone like the Nokia 1020. If you like to play around with your devices and install extras and tweak it out, then I'd suggest Android.

On Android, I still get really frustrated with simple tasks that I'm used to simply swiping up to initiate on webOS. I still swipe up to try and access the menu - drives me insane that I can't do that! LOL Or switching between a phone call and another app... where I'd have a card available to jump back to the call, I now have to go to the 'recent apps' menu and select the phone to get it back just to hang up. Android has some great hardware, but what I miss the most (and think you would - to answer your initial question) is the intuitiveness of simply switching between cards and swiping up and/or back on the device.

I'm getting another device and was leaning towards the BB Z10, but I think I'll actually go with the Nokia 1020 - that's a really nice phone!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I just noticed that was your first post so WELCOME! (and what took you so long? Lol)
    I was here before, , as 'AllTheWayHome' on PreCentral! but i didn't bother trying to remember my account name when i got here, also not knowing i could do both with the same account. !
    sledge007 and xandros9 like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    That would be the Nokia 1020. I just heard Paul Thurot's review of it on last week's Windows Weekly podcast, and he raved about the camera. Andy Inhatko (on last week's MacBreak Weekly podcast) said it was the first phone camera to be truly superior to the iPhone 5. If photos and videos are at the top of your features list, and if you can put up with the limitations of the Windows Phone ecosystem, then the 1020 might be worth looking at. If all you need is a better camera and a larger screen than a Pre-, then I'd recommend the Preł--that way you'd get to keep all the webOS goodness that you've come to love (and more, since you can get some things through Preware for 2.2.4 that aren't available for 1.4.5).
    The heartbreak of heartbreaks is that i'm with Sprint and we never got the Pre3, or i would just get that.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Android isn't as glitchy as it sounds, my understanding is that manufacturers add on stuff to differentiate their offerings and that can bog down performance. Samsung's TouchWiz can be a tad different than say, HTC's Sense UI. I don't know about the other skinned stuff, but in my experience in using stock Android based CyanogenMod 9/10, notifications are like webOS in the way they pop up in the status bar (unlike peeking up from the bottom) and the icons accumulate in the status bar as well.

In my time with Android, I'd say the worst is the occasional annoyance and learning curve. It might be annoying in that the "workflow" might not be as fluid as webOS, but depending on you, it's workable. You'll learn the ins-and-outs eventually.

I'd like to bring up Windows Phone and BB10, not saying they're mind-blowingly amazing or anything, but have you looked at those? (although BB definitely has seen better days.)
    The phone i would get would have darling notifications, but not as darling as pre b/c you can't swipede them away:

Windows is hork-worthy, and BB is cute, but over it (had one right before my the Pre, : ))

Thanks so much. Wow, workable, lol, great o/s.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Tough question. I picked up an S3 last August and it did take me some time to get used to it. I would guess almost a month before I was really comfortable using it, even with my CM7, CM9 and CM10 on my TouchPad. I thought the keyboard would be a bit of a pain, and it was. I picked up SwiftKey (alternate keyboard in Play) and it's actually pretty accurate.

Homebrew was always fun or me, seeing the latest, greatest in Preware. There's nothing similar with Android. I suppose one could call XDA (website) loosely similar.

Android Central, while similar, isn't nearly the same as this site here. With so many different variants of devices, I find it very clique-y there, with a lot of opinions and rants. Useful information is a lot harder to sift through, lol.

I don't find multitasking that difficult...it's no webOS, but it's just something I've gotten used to. There were certain apps, bigger screen, better camera that I wanted and when the price dropped to $0 with resign and my contract came up, I went for it.

Ultimately you're going to have to figure out what exactly you want in your phone. Whether apps are or aren't important, and if so which ones and where they are available. Size of course,, but I think soon when the smart watches start rolling out, will become less important, especially if you use a BT headset for calls, and you can read a text off your wrist. If none of that matters, maybe it's a smartphone with a 41MP camera you want which Nokia makes, forget the model, for WP.

Not to bash BB, but things really aren't looking promising at this point in time, but I think there's a few people around here that could offer more insight on their devices, I really haven't looked at them, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Sadly when i think about it, my uses for a phone really are better suited for a pre: receiving texts, multi-tasking (that's just my personality), and the usuay stuff, alarm clock, whatever is fine on either.

The only thing android brings me is the ability to have a larger screen. If i had that on a palm, the homebrew could take care of the rest (calendars, etc).

The other stuff android gives me are less important. But i really want to do all my banking online. And it would help with citibike station information. Then there's the moto X. Voiceless controls, pretty cool, maybe. This is painful. Stupid HP, they couldn't just make us all one last Pre as pennance for what they did? If i could get a Pre3, i would probably not be in such bad shape. Wow, i can't believe it, i was finally ready to switch, thinking, surely Android has gotten it together by now, but i've been reading about Android here for almost 3 weeks, and honestly, so not impressed. Unreal. This sucks.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/20/2013 at 03:25 PM.
    I used an Android phone for about 8 months after 2 years using webOS, before I switched back to my Pre, and then FrankenPre2. In that time it went from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich. I also just bought a Nexus 7 which runs the latest jellybean (4.3) to use in the car for movies along with the portable DVD player. Aside from the (IMO) ugly, boring UI, the thing that drives me the most batty is the inconsistent handling of the back button. Usually (and as expected) it just takes you back a screen in the app you are using, but sometimes it throws you all the way back to the home screen, even when you are several levels deep in an app. That drives me NUTS!!!

When I was forced to change phones to keep getting my work calendar, contacts, and email, I did the unthinkable and went to iOS, as it did everything I really need, and the UI is more tolerable for me. I'm going to be more unhappy if the iOS 7 beta UI is final. They have moved it too far in the Android direction in terms of boring flatness, and the colors and icons are hideous.

I guess more in line with your question, what I miss the most (when I'm not using my Pre3 play toy) is the beautiful UI, natural gesture operations for task switching, and consistency. Oh yeah, and the real keyboard. :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/20/2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Remy X and T-Pad like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I used an Android phone for about 8 months after 2 years using webOS, before I switched back to my Pre, and then FrankenPre2. In that time it went from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich. I also just bought a Nexus 7 which runs the latest jellybean (4.3) to use in the car for movies along with the portable DVD player. Aside from the (IMO) ugly, boring UI, the thing that drives me the most batty is the inconsistent handling of the back button. Usually (and as expected) it just takes you back a screen in the app you are using, but sometimes it throws you all the way back to the home screen, even when you are several levels deep in an app. That drives me NUTS!!!

When I was forced to change phones to keep getting my work calendar, contacts, and email, I did the unthinkable and went to iOS, as it did everything I really need, and the UI is more tolerable for me. I'm going to be more unhappy if the iOS 7 beta UI is final. They have moved it too far in the Android direction in terms of boring flatness, and the colors and icons are hideous.

I guess more in line with your question, what I miss the most (when I'm not using my Pre3 play toy) is the beautiful UI, natural gesture operations for task switching, and consistency. Oh yeah, and the real keyboard. :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    . There is no emoticon sad enough to express the way i am feeling.

Can you tell me any programs, or apps, or settings, or launchers or whatever that might have made android as bearable as possible? Man, i know it's bad when a person has to move over to iOS. ouch. I'm dreading these crappy notifications. *dreading*. *hork*.

Usually (and as expected) it just takes you back a screen in the app you are using, but sometimes it throws you all the way back to the home screen, even when you are several levels deep in an app. That drives me NUTS!!!
    oh retch. that's just foul.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/20/2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I miss the real keyboard at times, and the gestures. That said, there are apps for the gestures issues on Android and Wavelauncher brings my favorite WebOS feature to any Android phone. I tried iOS briefly, but aside from the nice design, you were locked into doing everything one way, all the time. You still can't set a default web browser other than Safari.
    Ultimately, what I liked most about WebOS was the freedom of choice that we had with tweaking the phone. While Android doesn't have nearly as much flexibility to it, the broad range of hardware and the app freedom makes it a lot closer to WebOS than iOS will ever be. And the UI design on straight Android has come a long way and if you don't like it, well, there's an app for changing that too with a different launcher.
    I still miss my original Pre, but my Nexus 4 (and N7 tablet) put it to shame with performance and smoothness.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    I miss the real keyboard at times, and the gestures. That said, there are apps for the gestures issues on Android and Wavelauncher brings my favorite WebOS feature to any Android phone. I tried iOS briefly, but aside from the nice design, you were locked into doing everything one way, all the time. You still can't set a default web browser other than Safari.
    Ultimately, what I liked most about WebOS was the freedom of choice that we had with tweaking the phone. While Android doesn't have nearly as much flexibility to it, the broad range of hardware and the app freedom makes it a lot closer to WebOS than iOS will ever be. And the UI design on straight Android has come a long way and if you don't like it, well, there's an app for changing that too with a different launcher.
    I still miss my original Pre, but my Nexus 4 (and N7 tablet) put it to shame with performance and smoothness.
    Thanks so much. I read these as soon as you guys post them, but due to my "new" status i guess they have to approve me, i should log into my old "allthewayhome" precentral account so that doesn't happen, but at this point it might be too confusing. lol.

any tips anyone could give me for an even slightly more web os experience on the android would be much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    As someone who just recently purchased an HTC One and is playing in the Android sandbox right now, I can tell you that the 'glitchiness' of the OS was an issue long ago, but not really in the new devices.
    That is at least very good news.

On Android, I still get really frustrated with simple tasks that I'm used to simply swiping up to initiate on webOS. I still swipe up to try and access the menu - drives me insane that I can't do that! LOL Or switching between a phone call and another app... where I'd have a card available to jump back to the call, I now have to go to the 'recent apps' menu and select the phone to get it back just to hang up. Android has some great hardware, but what I miss the most (and think you would - to answer your initial question) is the intuitiveness of simply switching between cards and swiping up and/or back on the device.
    I'm so worried about that, i think that's the stupidest multi-tasking procedure. ugly. omg, just to hang up? *puke*. hate this pos phone already. lol.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have several devices; two main mobile numbers.

I have been on Android from the Nexus One/HTC Desire days (still have my fully functional Desire). I also currently have a Galaxy Nexus (for my Android build experimentation) and a Thinkpad Tablet.

I have been a loyal Palm supporter since the 3COM days; I currently have two Pre3s, two Touchpads and a Veer.

I use both my webOS and Android devices daily. WebOS performance and its current apps are just about enough to satisfy my current usage habbits... But I there is no doubt that I also get my daily fill of Android.

with that said, my preferred mobile device is my Pre3 for two main reasons:
    1. Physical form factor (keyboard, slider design, size, shape),
    2. Just Type (nothing compares).

However, the dwindling/afterlife support for the most forward-thinking OS of its time means no future (I would not be surprised if in later years we find out that is death was an insider conspiracy amongst paid for by the largest company in our world... But that's another story). (if Phoenix can develop ACL for the Pre3 then having a few key Android apps on my Pre would be great but that's another story).

In summary, it's really about your preferences. The two of mine are enough to keep my Pre3 my primary...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Sorry for the typos...

Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    I have several devices; two main mobile numbers.

I have been on Android from the Nexus One/HTC Desire days (still have my fully functional Desire). I also currently have a Galaxy Nexus (for my Android build experimentation) and a Thinkpad Tablet.

I have been a loyal Palm supporter since the 3COM days; I currently have two Pre3s, two Touchpads and a Veer.

I use both my webOS and Android devices daily. WebOS performance and its current apps are just about enough to satisfy my current usage habbits... But I there is no doubt that I also get my daily fill of Android.

with that said, my preferred mobile device is my Pre3 for two main reasons:
    1. Physical form factor (keyboard, slider design, size, shape),
    2. Just Type (nothing compares).
    That is so cool about the tablets. : ). And oh how i wish i could have a palm 3, (freakin' sprint) (ah, yes, Palm V was my first palm: ))

However, the dwindling/afterlife support for the most forward-thinking OS of its time means no future (I would not be surprised if in later years we find out that is death was an insider conspiracy amongst paid for by the largest company in our world... But that's another story). (if Phoenix can develop ACL for the Pre3 then having a few key Android apps on my Pre would be great but that's another story).
    would not doubt it for a 2nd. Because it was indeed advanced. And how convenient that an amazing o/s that actually exists and is built...ok, true, another time. those

In summary, it's really about your preferences. The two of mine are enough to keep my Pre3 my primary...

Prefer Palm, in every single solitary way.. Already hate android, it's just mishmash, a lazy hodgepodge. If it could get a Palm 3 i think probably most of my problems would be solved. But the size of the screen and the internal hardware on the Pre is just really holding me back from having something more useful on me at all times. But if this android is as bad as i'm pretty sure it is, i may just have to go back to a tiny screen.

i'll be testing a moto x, which will be fairly cleanish android, so if you can think of anything i can do to make this experience a little better, def. let me know any time.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/20/2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Not sure I'd personally call Android a "lazy podgepodge"... it's actually a quick, nice OS. Just a bit clunky and not anywhere as intuitive as webOS.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not sure I'd personally call Android a "lazy podgepodge"... it's actually a quick, nice OS. Just a bit clunky and not anywhere as intuitive as webOS.
    Well, it's basically built for everyone else to make work, it's not really a complete o/s to me, and clunky, that's not hot. lol. The makers at Palm put their heart and soul into it. They *tried* to make it intuitive, and fluid, but if the makers of palm can do all that why can't android, it's not for lack of brains. it's just not their goal. Certainly makes it easier.
    Remy X likes this.
    Dude, I am twice removed from my Pre and I miss it everyday. Thank God my TouchPad is still going strong so I have some webOS goodness. I'm using an Android phone right now. Let's face it, iOS, Windows Phone, and Android are no where near as easy or intuitive to use as webOS. WebOS 1.4 is still light years ahead of them all in terms of usability. What you will lose right off the bat:

Intelligent notifications. Only Android comes close but there is some inconsistencies with viewing and dismissing notifications on Android. IOS notifications are so poor that I consider them a cruel joke. Best just to turn them off.

Multitasking. No one does it better than webOS. Card view is ingenious, consistent across apps, and easy to learn to use. Again Android is the only thing that comes close, but that is not saying much. Each app behaves differently when switching away and then back to it. Multitasking in iOS is about the same as the notifications, a joke. Double tapping the home key to switch apps? Might as well not use it.

Muting sound. The button on top of the Pre that mutes the sound is quick and very useful. Get ready to learn all of the steps it takes on each different Android phone to do a task that is simple on a Pre. My Motorola Photon was the only thing that comes close to pulling this off in as little steps as possible (turn on screen, swipe sound icon on lock screen to mute).

Gestures. Nothing comes close, not even Android. Get ready for some hacks on both Android and iOS that will only give you a third of the functionality of webOS' gestures. This will also be inconsistent across apps and require some additional tweaking just to get it to activated.

Physical keyboard. Everyone has pretty much move towards software keyboards. Candy bar phones sell more that sliders. You will find some pretty interesting software keyboards in Android. For the unique things that each one offers you will find something that each lacks. IOS (default) has the second best software keyboard I've used. Believe it or not, the TouchPad's software keyboard (with LunaCE tweaks) is by far the best I've used.

One handed operation. Not happening on iOS. The OS is just not set up for it. Same with Android. On top of that the huge screens that most Android phones have hinder one handed use.

In app settings. Android has this and it is pretty much on par with webOS. Just a tiny step behind. IOS is finally getting this in version 7 but the menu looks clunky and out of place.

To be fair, you are getting a lot in return for losing webOS' kick **** UI and ease of use. On both Android and iOS you are getting a ton of apps (if that's your thing). On iOS you get Apple's extensive multimedia and hardware ecosystem. You get cutting edge state of the art hardware with Android (you get the same with Apple two years later and they will swear they invented it or somehow made it better). You get bigger, beautiful screens and have to sit through someone spouting off about pixel density even though after a certain point no human being can tell the difference.

Good luck in your hunt to find a replacement. Be prepared to settle for less and miss your Pre everyday. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you won't miss it because they would be lying to you. BTW, I used Windows Phone for about 5 minutes (4 1/2 minutes too long). Did not like it at all, but the minimal time using it does not qualify me to have an opinion on it.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast