Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Guys, I used to love WebOS as much as any other person here, enough to once in a while still come here to check if there's maybe something new about it.

But I'm going to be brutally honest, if you think WebOS is better than Android in its current form you're suffering from an intense case of delusion. There're maybe a couple, perhaps three things, that WebOS does/did better, and the only truly relevant one was swiping from the bottom to bring the multitasking UI.

That's it. Aside from that Android does everything better, the browser is better, the email experience is better, the design is better, it absolutely dwarfs WebOS in features, is way smoother, it has developer support, is way more customizable (and yes, that's including Preware), notifications are handled better (better than any other platform, btw) and the software keyboard is actually really good, predictions are top notch, and some third party keyboards are just amazing (I use SwiftKey, and it automatically autocorrects and predicts up to 3 languages without me doing nothing beyond selecting them).

Even iOS with its many shortcomings (exhibit one: notifications suck) totally and completely destroys WebOS, the correct question is not so much what you will be missing after leaving WebOS, the correct question is how much you're missing because you refuse to jump ships.

I was today checking best buy and they're selling a Veer, and I thought about buying one just to remember the old times, but that's all there's is to it, you shouldn't miss out a much better, modern, smartphone operating system and ecosystem out of nostalgia.
    There are always reasons for the one or the other to rate this or that feature higher. That's why the mobile market is one with a "high diversity" (high at least with handsets).

As for me having a small handset (Pre2) with hardware keyboard posibility to change battery AND an easy working inductive charging is what i rate very high atm.

Also software features like Multitasking Cards, working Synergy (with an own cloud via EAS), Just Type with quick Actions (for calendar events, sms, emails, map search) and even the underrated "Contact reminder" feature (which pops-up when i get electronically in contact with a friend and reminds of debts...) is for me atm more important then 1mio apps.

I would take a faster device with better screen resolution (at same size) or a better autofocus camera or more apps (especially for german centric banking/magazine/companys) but not by sacrificing above features.

If you can show me an android/ios/bb10/wm device and the software/apps to have all this then i will consider.

If not i'm ok with "miss[ing] out a much better, modern, smartphone operating system and ecosystem out of nostalgia."
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Guys, I used to love WebOS as much as any other person here, enough to once in a while still come here to check if there's maybe something new about it.

But I'm going to be brutally honest, if you think WebOS is better than Android in its current form you're suffering from an intense case of delusion. There're maybe a couple, perhaps three things, that WebOS does/did better, and the only truly relevant one was swiping from the bottom to bring the multitasking UI.

That's it. Aside from that Android does everything better, the browser is better, the email experience is better, the design is better, it absolutely dwarfs WebOS in features, is way smoother, it has developer support, is way more customizable (and yes, that's including Preware), notifications are handled better (better than any other platform, btw) and the software keyboard is actually really good, predictions are top notch, and some third party keyboards are just amazing (I use SwiftKey, and it automatically autocorrects and predicts up to 3 languages without me doing nothing beyond selecting them).

Even iOS with its many shortcomings (exhibit one: notifications suck) totally and completely destroys WebOS, the correct question is not so much what you will be missing after leaving WebOS, the correct question is how much you're missing because you refuse to jump ships.

I was today checking best buy and they're selling a Veer, and I thought about buying one just to remember the old times, but that's all there's is to it, you shouldn't miss out a much better, modern, smartphone operating system and ecosystem out of nostalgia.
    I just switched from Pre 2 to samsung s4 on verizon 1 week ago and it's not all positives (which I anticipated) . My pre 2 was acting flakey and push email was no longer working, MS exchange support was breaking.. I could redoctor it but I was getting tired of it . Anyway, yes the latest android has great speed, a better browser, and has app support. But there is a lack of coherence in design. You have a back button but no forward button. (at least none that I've found) . The task management is still awkward but not bad. (not as good as card system) random error codes pop up and odd defaults options boxes pop up. Do you want to view a link from twitter app? do you want to open, copy or share? Which app do you want to read a document? Choosing a defaults don't seem to stick. Needs additional user input. So the world of android is filled with activity, options but also awkwardness since the android team and OEMs just throw more features that don't always work well or in harmony. I still haven't gotten used to virtual keyboard and will have to look for a replacement. I think most webos fans like the philosophy of webos in spite of its instability, very limited app support. But the android pasture isn't all pretty. I have iphone 4 and iOS is bulletproof, stable but very limited. It treats its users as tech illiterates. There aren't any perfect options at this point.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    And you are not being arrogant? Some in this thread need a chill pill.
    so i come here to ask questions, some dude starts on about people who don't see things as he does are in denial, and that they don't do what he finds worthy and if they don't do what he finds worthy then they are not being productive, i ask him what he's on about, and you find the latter arrogant. lol. ok.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/25/2013 at 10:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    so man I think this is a case close and its been close man I dont have time to put on a list all the things that make the palm pre 3 a better phone than any phone out there it is and dont forget that we also have a virtual keyboard and a hard keyboard and its the only phone that allows you to text perfectly with one hand all others dont than people be trying to text on the car and they crash NOT WITH A PALM PRE 3 LOL
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    yeah, i forget that all threads must go snarky, so if someone wants to close the thread that's fine with me. I do appreciate all those who chimed in to help. : ). The regular phone i'm supposed to be getting is now not coming out for another few weeks, so i'll be switching back to my Pre after my few days on a 2011 android. yikes. so bad. lol.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/25/2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Another thing that keeps me on pre2 is physical keyboard. Not just the feedback while typing, but also I REALLY like to see the whole screen when writing emails. For texting either one is fine
    petbull likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    so i come here to ask questions, some dude starts on about people who don't see things as he does are in denial, and that they don't do what he finds worthy and if they don't do what he finds worthy then they are not being productive, i ask him what he's on about, and you find the latter arrogant. lol. ok.
    What was the big deal in that guy's post? There were a few that he seemed to anger. Why the need to get bitter at him or now me for that matter?

This is all about discontinued phones and an OS that for now is also discontinued on the current hardware.
    Last edited by rnld; 08/25/2013 at 01:47 PM.
    <trolling quote removed>

Yet, my neighbor with the '67 Mustang would think I'm crazy for trying to convince him to dump it for a modern marvel that doesn't use leaded gas, uses fuel injection rather than carburetor, and has a million buttons and options, etc, ad nauseum... Why's that?

Can I haz your Pre 2???
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Remy X and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Android has a menu in search to choose what you want to see when you "just type"
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Android has a menu in search to choose what you want to see when you "just type"
    WebOS also has the same features
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    WebOS also has the same features
    I know that.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    As for me having a small handset (Pre2) with hardware keyboard posibility to change battery AND an easy working inductive charging is what i rate very high atm.
    Really? Hardware keyboard? Inductive charging? I mean you can value whatever you want but if you pick your smartphones based on that you could just as well go back to BB6.

Also software features like Multitasking Cards, working Synergy (with an own cloud via EAS), Just Type with quick Actions (for calendar events, sms, emails, map search) and even the underrated "Contact reminder" feature (which pops-up when i get electronically in contact with a friend and reminds of debts...) is for me atm more important then 1mio apps.
    These do seem like smartphone features. However, you're mostly displaying you do not know the other platforms. Multitasking with cards is cool, I really like it, but switching between tasks is not the main function of an operating system, although I do appreciate that WebOS handles that so well. Just Type is not even close to Google Now, is not even a contest. Nothing you mentioned is done better on WebOS (other than the card UI).

I would take a faster device with better screen resolution (at same size) or a better autofocus camera or more apps (especially for german centric banking/magazine/companys) but not by sacrificing above features.
    You're not. You're only sacrificing swiping cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    But there is a lack of coherence in design. You have a back button but no forward button. (at least none that I've found).
    That's not lack of coherence that's lack of a forward button.

The task management is still awkward but not bad. (not as good as card system)
    I don't think is awkward, in fact, even while I believe that WebOS' approach is more likable and more fluid... it does require a tutorial, not so on Android.

random error codes
    This sounds a lot like what you say when you don't find a problem. I have no idea what you're talking about.

pop up and odd defaults options boxes pop up. Do you want to view a link from twitter app? do you want to open, copy or share? Which app do you want to read a document? Choosing a defaults don't seem to stick.
    They do stick, as long as you choose "set as default". Moreover, criticizing Android sharing system is rather curious, considering how good it is.

I'm not saying WebOS didn't have potential, but it never came to fruition, WebOS is objectively inferior to Android and iOS, moreover, while there were many good ideas the execution was rather poor (WebOS has always been kinda laggy, and especially, kinda slow), the guy that made much of WebOS jumped ships, he's working for Google today and it shows. I mean I can pick any random app installed on my phone (default or not) and it will run circles around what's available on WebOS. To compare my current email experience using GMail for Android, or Google Maps, or Youtube, or Kingsoft Office, or Google Chrome, Google Keep, Currents, Flipboard, Dropbox, Mashable, Fitocracy, Flickr, Google Drive, Google Plus, even Facebook and Twitter, Music, what have you, to what's available on WebOS today is hilarious.

WebOS, in my opinion, had a ton of potential, and it was much better than Android 2.x, but the world has moved on, the same guy designed Android 4.0, and 4.1 and 4.2 and 4.3 and soon 5.0, there's no match anymore.
    @augustofretes,

How much do you get paid to write this stuff... i really need some money right now
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @augustofretes,

How much do you get paid to write this stuff... i really need some money right now
    Yep. These android guys funny. Webos is in no way inferior to any operating system. And whats this lag he talking about, my pre2 just keeps firing away with no problems.

Palm stepped up and showed them how to do this smart phone stuff in 2009 and they are all trying to play catchup. Don't be confusing apps with operating system.
    Remy X likes this.
    So been a long time since I've visited these forums.

To this day I still keep my pre 2 charged. Sitting on my touchstone. Admiring it. Pick it up every once in a while just to swipe things, just type for the sake of it, multitask for the sake of it. Start up a game then swipe up mid way, open another app, and then come right back to the game and pick up where I left over.

The power and awesomeness of webOS is just unmatchable and totally addicting. Skunkworks project it may have been, but someone sure as hell made it fluid and intuitive and a complete joy to use....

But then. I see why I was really forced to abandon it. The alarms didn't always work. There were random reboots and I was forced to watch that stupid HP logo blink for 5 minutes for the phone to reload...I don't like seeing anything with that stupid logo on it...and then the phone finally boots and none of my twitter apps are working probably, Facebook doesn't work all that well, half the apps no longer work, I can't download quickly on the 3 g network, the battery dies quick. Etc.

This is an unsupported phone, with no love from its owners, no support from devs, a dwindling support group on the " last webOS blog standing"

The excitement of checking the website 20 times a day for the latest rumor, or reading an app review, or waiting for a podcast to listen to, or just hanging out on the forums...is gone.

The community is rapidly deteriorating.

So I moved on. I have a droid RAZR maxx. The battery is outstanding. The apps are decent. I like the hardware and have gotten used to the user interface. But I just never feel at home with the operating system. Requires a lot of tweaking but I just can't seem to get satisfied with it. So I change a widget or setting or two periodically. Just never feel at home...I am leaning on moving to iOS 7 and the new iPhone 5s just because there are a lot of webOS features in the new OS, esp the cards and gestures. And it seems to just work. And things are there for you already and you can just focus on getting things done instead of figuring out how to tweak things to your liking. That's how webOS was. Sure there was Preware which allowed you to change things like icon size and apps per row and themes...but even with just stock webOS like my pre2 has I don't get bored. With my android I get bored rather easily. I think about upgrading to another android phone but quickly realize its just the hardware I'm attracted to, but I will have the same issues with the OS..never settled..

I'm getting too old for this.

I just want to return to the good old days of webOS but alas that was taken away from us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Remy X and Buddy1969 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @augustofretes,

You can't even imagine how much Google and Apple pay me to try and convert a completely negligible percentage of the market using a dead platform into their own, I'm rich!
    Guys... enough with the crap back and forth.

We have no issues with discussions, but lets end the arguing. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Guys... enough with the crap back and forth.

We have no issues with discussions, but lets end the arguing. Thanks
    For a moment, i though that was directed at me, however you're right... meaningless bickering is clogging up the thread
    In terms of a first generation iPod Touch with iOS 3, I can be playing solitaire, open another app, come back to solitaire a week later and the game is right where it was. The apps open fast as well.

It doesn't bother me at all that it doesn't have cards.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast