Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Can you not just start typing an app name in the Google search bar, and it just starts populating as you type the letters in? Re: point number 2. There's what pops up for me after I enter the letter N.
    I actually tried this before thinking it would behave exactly like Just Type. But when I saw the "Google search" results, it led me to the conclusion that it didn't. After you suggested it, I tried again and still only saw the search results. That is, until I closed the virtual keyboard. That's where I saw the phone search results. So far, I've seen it make proposals for names of apps (possibly tags associated with apps?) and contacts. Unfortunately by default, it doesn't search emails and calendar entries but I did find a setting that would enable it. Nor can the "Just Type"d text be used as the start of an action (e.g. writing a memo, note, task, email, etc.). I can't even use it to search using other search engines.

I miss my Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I have been goofing around with my wife's Android phone and I really like that when scrolling through contacts it takes two steps to call other than WebOS that accidentally calls all the time
    My preference is quite the opposite. When I need to call someone on Android, it feels like I have to press on so many things before I'm able to call. I thought Android was the phone that would allow you to swipe left to call and swipe the other way to do something else, but I was wrong. Since I don't have my Pre3 anymore, I can't tell if that was the case with webOS.

By the way, even though it takes more clicks to call someone (I feel) on Android, it's also only on Android that I've ended up accidentally calling someone when I didn't mean to. Not sure how that happened.

One annoying thing with webOS is that I couldn't seem to pick a "default" app for, say, calling. When attempting to call someone, I'd always be prompted to choose between Skype and my cellphone service provider. This was even worse when I tried making a call with Bluetooth. For some reason, calls wouldn't go through if it had to prompt you for the calling app to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    My preference is quite the opposite. When I need to call someone on Android, it feels like I have to press on so many things before I'm able to call. I thought Android was the phone that would allow you to swipe left to call and swipe the other way to do something else, but I was wrong. Since I don't have my Pre3 anymore, I can't tell if that was the case with webOS.

By the way, even though it takes more clicks to call someone (I feel) on Android, it's also only on Android that I've ended up accidentally calling someone when I didn't mean to. Not sure how that happened.

One annoying thing with webOS is that I couldn't seem to pick a "default" app for, say, calling. When attempting to call someone, I'd always be prompted to choose between Skype and my cellphone service provider. This was even worse when I tried making a call with Bluetooth. For some reason, calls wouldn't go through if it had to prompt you for the calling app to use.
    You can have a general override so it would use your cellphone provide or Skype by default in phone options, but you cannot specify it per contact. Same like auto-correct language which would be good per contact since I communicate with different people in different languages.
    Remy X likes this.
    I have been goofing around with my wife's Android phone and I really like that when scrolling through contacts it takes two steps to call other than WebOS that accidentally calls all the time
    There's a number of patch for that disabling this "feature"! It bugged the hell out of me too. The patches were only available for 2.1.x, so I upgraded some for 2.2.x as well webOS-Patches Web Portal
    There is "no autodial" patches in Preware! I installed all!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    btw, what's the best program or solution you've found to multitask? i'm on a moto admiral for the 2nd day now and want to throw this POS o/s out a window.

Well, this has sort of turned into "how do I do X like webOS on android?" LOL.

Suggestion 1: Get rid of Moto Admiral and pick up a more recent phone. It's a 2011 phone and looks pretty crappy. I too had a Moto from 2011 and it was okay while I used it but towards the end, the phone started getting more and more stuttery and unstable. I'm guessing your phone has the same post Moto-Blur skin that the Photon did. And also this means Moto never updated it to ICS and you're stuck on gingerbread. And the best solution I found on gingerbread to switch tasks is an app called "TaskSwitcher". I had it set so that if I double-pressed the home button, it brings up an overlay screen with icons of your most recently used apps. It's similar to the way you'd switch tasks on HTC One (press home button twice to bring recent apps screen). From ICS, you have the recent apps screen baked in so you don't really need it anymore. You'd figure, since Matias Duarte is at Google now, they'd improve multi-tasking to the fluidity of webOS level but no one has come close to it yet.

On my GS4, I use Nova launcher. It's great. You should try. I configured it so pressing home button opens up the recent apps list. I looked for a way to swipe up to bring up the list (a la webOS) but in any way you configure it, you can only bring up the recent apps list from the home screen. Meaning, if you have a browser open and press the home button, naturally, it'll take you to the home button. Then I press home button again and then it brings up the list. The bad thing is, it's 2 clicks, plus pressing the home button often kills the app process so you end up closing it (or putting it in freeze state) a lot of times. You can even configure Nova launcher to bring up the recent apps list with gestures such as swipe up motion across the screen.... But you have to do that on the home screen. If an app is open, you have to return to the home screen, then do the swipe up. Arrrrgh. I've been looking for an app that will let you swipe up from the bottom of the phone (the capacitive button area) like webOS but so far have not found it.

For those that miss physical keyboard, well can't help you there but Swiftkey on android is pretty darn good. It was easier to mistype on my Photon's 4.3" screen but with GS4's 5" screen, the keys are bigger (plus you can set the height of the keys) and it's really easy to type. I don't really miss the physical keyboard.

One more thing I miss is that you never know when you really killed an app. Some apps you press home button and it just quits (youtube ugh) and other apps like music app will keep playing music when you switch to another app (which is sensible). So you press the back button like 10 times to get out of an app to return to home screen.... or you just press the home button to return to home screen. But most of the time the apps are still in memory. And if you "kill" the apps from the recent apps list, you still don't know if the app is truly closed. You can go into running apps list see all these apps and services still running.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Switched from a Pre 2 to a Nexus 4 with Jellybean.

No regrets whatsoever. The Pre 2 was a toy and I loved the pre 2 to begin with but the limitations soon got tiresome, then it got dumped so...

The Nexus 4 works really well for me and took to using it in no time at all. No struggle.

The Pre 2 now sits in my Smartphone Elephants graveyard. I have no desire at all to go back. In fact I would pick up the old Nokia 6310i if I had to grab a backup (mmot point however, as my SIM would no longer fit in any of my old phones.

No point having rose tinted specs over the Pre/2/3. Just move on, the smartphone world certainly has.
    If you have a fully working Pre2 in a "graveyard" with no intention of ever using it again, then sell it!

No regrets whatsoever. The Pre 2 was a toy and I loved the pre 2 to begin with but the limitations soon got tiresome, then it got dumped so...

The Nexus 4 works really well for me and took to using it in no time at all. No struggle.

The Pre 2 now sits in my Smartphone Elephants graveyard. I have no desire at all to go back. In fact I would pick up the old Nokia 6310i if I had to grab a backup (mmot point however, as my SIM would no longer fit in any of my old phones.

No point having rose tinted specs over the Pre/2/3. Just move on, the smartphone world certainly has.
    What exactly has the smartphone world moved on to that I should give up my pre2?
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What exactly has the smartphone world moved on to that I should give up my pre2?
    I'm more curious about what makes a Pre2 an elephant compared to a Nexus 4

So you just stopped in to crap on his thread?
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Well, this has sort of turned into "how do I do X like webOS on android?" LOL.

Suggestion 1: Get rid of Moto Admiral and pick up a more recent phone. It's a 2011 phone and looks pretty crappy. I too had a Moto from 2011 and it was okay while I used it but towards the end, the phone started getting more and more stuttery and unstable. I'm guessing your phone has the same post Moto-Blur skin that the Photon did. And also this means Moto never updated it to ICS and you're stuck on gingerbread. And the best solution I found on gingerbread to switch tasks is an app called "TaskSwitcher". I had it set so that if I double-pressed the home button, it brings up an overlay screen with icons of your most recently used apps. It's similar to the way you'd switch tasks on HTC One (press home button twice to bring recent apps screen). From ICS, you have the recent apps screen baked in so you don't really need it anymore. You'd figure, since Matias Duarte is at Google now, they'd improve multi-tasking to the fluidity of webOS level but no one has come close to it yet.
    yeah, i'm picking up a moto x next week. i just had to attach the admiral a couple days ago as an inbtwn.

makes sense to into the 'how do i', lol, the experience on other o/s leave so much to be desired. Pretty sad when people have to take the most profilic operating system and piece together little ways to make tiny little pieces of it work just a little bit. Sad state of affairs. but then again, i asked it quite a bit.

On my GS4, I use Nova launcher. It's great. You should try. I configured it so pressing home button opens up the recent apps list. I looked for a way to swipe up to bring up the list (a la webOS) but in any way you configure it, you can only bring up the recent apps list from the home screen. Meaning, if you have a browser open and press the home button, naturally, it'll take you to the home button. Then I press home button again and then it brings up the list. The bad thing is, it's 2 clicks, plus pressing the home button often kills the app process so you end up closing it (or putting it in freeze state) a lot of times. You can even configure Nova launcher to bring up the recent apps list with gestures such as swipe up motion across the screen.... But you have to do that on the home screen. If an app is open, you have to return to the home screen, then do the swipe up. Arrrrgh. I've been looking for an app that will let you swipe up from the bottom of the phone (the capacitive button area) like webOS but so far have not found it.
    dear lord! omg, if i have to stick with this thing, either i can only hope and pray that web o/s comes back, or someone creates an o/s worth it's weight in 10 years. thanks so much. this is gonna be a tough go for me, so i really appreciate it

One more thing I miss is that you never know when you really killed an app. Some apps you press home button and it just quits (youtube ugh) and other apps like music app will keep playing music when you switch to another app (which is sensible). So you press the back button like 10 times to get out of an app to return to home screen.... or you just press the home button to return to home screen. But most of the time the apps are still in memory. And if you "kill" the apps from the recent apps list, you still don't know if the app is truly closed. You can go into running apps list see all these apps and services still running.
    oh man, i've already experienced that 'back back back guess where you are and nothing is closed' experience. Pretty sad when you can't even close an application. lol. great o/s. i'm actually quite stunned.

You watch a movie like minority report and what's he doing? web o/s dude, web o/s. If it weren't for the banking and bike riding in the city i have to start doing, i would stay with my pre. It's actually quite fast, and i'm on a MINUS!
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/24/2013 at 01:06 AM.
    <trolling quote removed>

The pre2 is small so it can run circles round big ***** phones like nexus4. I bet you paid money for it and I wouldn't want one if it was free

PS. Didnt know can't say id..t
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2013 at 11:58 AM.
    <trolling quote removed>

Tiny, really? I'm using a veer. Now that's tiny... and still very effective I might add.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Remy X and gizmo21 like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    <trolling quote removed>

Why are you rambling on about your contempt for people and your phone, and what you deem worthy? serious dude, wrong thread. And no one, probably anywhere, is interested in your arrogance, srsly.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Why are you rambling on about your contempt for people and your phone, and what you deem worthy? serious dude, wrong thread. And no one, probably anywhere, is interested in your arrogance, srsly.
    And you are not being arrogant? Some in this thread need a chill pill.
    And you are not being arrogant? Some in this thread need a chill pill.
    She's the OP... If a guy comes here to crap in her thread, she has every right to be
    Nope, it just sits there pristine with a fine layer of dust.

Like a GF you once loved but now just have vague contempt for.

I've tried giving it away to people "Hey your phone has stopped working? Do you want a pristine Palm Pre 2? Going free!!!! Look it has a tiny keyboard and teeny tiny screen! What? Oh yeah you have to zoom a lot and yes there are no apps for it anymore, but hey, look at that multi-tasking eh!"

The response?

"Ermmm no thats okay...."

But it's good to see a high level of denial still going on in the WebOS world. If only that effort and perseverance could be used for something more worthwhile.
    You must be trolling.

Just go in the marketplace and list it as free, the "buyer" pays shipping. It'll be gone real fast, it it's real
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    She's the OP... If a guy comes here to crap in her thread, she has every right to be
    And he said he wouldn't miss much of anything.
    i just bought a Pre2 as Backup for 50 so i think yours will be bought too.

Getting rid of an GF you can't stand any more is a good feeling in the end - and someone else will be happy with her...
    Last edited by gizmo21; 08/25/2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Guys, I used to love WebOS as much as any other person here, enough to once in a while still come here to check if there's maybe something new about it.

But I'm going to be brutally honest, if you think WebOS is better than Android in its current form you're suffering from an intense case of delusion. There're maybe a couple, perhaps three things, that WebOS does/did better, and the only truly relevant one was swiping from the bottom to bring the multitasking UI.

That's it. Aside from that Android does everything better, the browser is better, the email experience is better, the design is better, it absolutely dwarfs WebOS in features, is way smoother, it has developer support, is way more customizable (and yes, that's including Preware), notifications are handled better (better than any other platform, btw) and the software keyboard is actually really good, predictions are top notch, and some third party keyboards are just amazing (I use SwiftKey, and it automatically autocorrects and predicts up to 3 languages without me doing nothing beyond selecting them).

Even iOS with its many shortcomings (exhibit one: notifications suck) totally and completely destroys WebOS, the correct question is not so much what you will be missing after leaving WebOS, the correct question is how much you're missing because you refuse to jump ships.

I was today checking best buy and they're selling a Veer, and I thought about buying one just to remember the old times, but that's all there's is to it, you shouldn't miss out a much better, modern, smartphone operating system and ecosystem out of nostalgia.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast