Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I recommend WP8. Its nice and smooth
    My first experience with a windows phone was an unfortunate one, earlier mind you, but it was the HTC Touch Point. Scarred for life. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Problem with microsoft is everything they make these days look like toys. I dont have a windows 8 phone, but i do have a windows 8 laptop, Hard for me to take metro ui serious, just looks like something for kids
    Seriously. Who the heck did they *make* that for? it's like a sick joke. Infact, i went into a store today to look at phones, as i was walking out i thought, ya know what, let me open my mind and go look at that (a windows phone). Picked it up, looked at it and put it right back where i found it.

Quote Originally Posted by latetothepalmparty View Post
    Using a Nokia 521 with WP8(looking at Nokia 925) and how I miss cards and tossing them off the top to close. WP8 is difficult to close app's.

My first smartphone the Pre3 sits on the nightstand next to my bed resting on a Palm Touchstone in all it's beautiful glory telling me I have emails and RSS' to read. Reminds of the girl next door you were infatuated with and you went on a few dates fell in love and then...........Léo Apotheker entered my dream and did the 'ol c*ock block on the best phone OS available.
    *sigh* Yup. It's just not right.
    What does just type do (being a Pixie minus owner)
    It adds a few more features, like quick actions to create a new message in messaging or email, calendar, memo, update Facebook status, as well as searching email and web history. It was really just an evolution of universal search with a better name reflecting the fact it was more than a search function.
    OK, so more than I can do now.
    Thing is, I never got in the habit of using it for anything but searching. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thing is, I never got in the habit of using it for anything but searching. :-)
    Just Type is Just Great. I didn't use it at first either, but now I use it for everything. Whether going to a web site, a google search, finding a contact or launching an app, it;s a faster, more convenient way to do it.
    Rnp likes this.
    Problem with microsoft is everything they make these days look like toys. I dont have a windows 8 phone, but i do have a windows 8 laptop, Hard for me to take metro ui serious, just looks like something for kids
    Interesting. I was just talking to a salesman @ Staples who sells laptops and he was saying something similar. He said he'd been using W8 for quite a while now and frowned on the Metro side of things saying he spent most of his time in the desktop rather than Metro and said that he didn't feel it was worth spending the extra money to get a touchscreen for it. That really took me back when you think about how much MS is pushing the new interface. W8 is really shaping up to be a big fail. Strangely enough I always felt that WebOS feels the most Windows like of all the mobile OS's out there. Especially when you back out into card view. I think MS really missed a big opportunity when Palm went up for sale. I'm sure the fact that WebOS is built on Linux had something todo with them taking a pass but honestly WebOS would fit in nicely with Windows 7.
    Rnp and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Just Type is Just Great. I didn't use it at first either, but now I use it for everything. Whether going to a web site, a google search, finding a contact or launching an app, it;s a faster, more convenient way to do it.

Grabber5.0, while begining I was using only to search, too... but after begun to use to other actions... man... how I hate my Galaxy Note II & my Galaxy 7.7!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Serious... I simply HATE have no option so practical...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I probably shouldn't have said just 'search'. I use it for everything you listed - universal search was capable of all that. I just never used the quick actions for anything, and maybe once used launch and search. I suppose that was influenced by being on a webOS 1.x Pre for two years before moving to a Pre2 and a Pre3 had a big influence on that habit never developing. Typing a contact's name and tapping the messaging icon is the fastest way to send a text to someone that's not at the top of your conversation list. Same with email. I definitely appreciated the addition of email and web history search in just type.

What made it so efficient was the nearly instant (or instant if you have a Pixi) keyboard. I use just type very rarely on the Touchpad.
    I never realized how HUGE the simple feature of Just Search is until I started using an HTC One. Such a great, simply feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    My first experience with a windows phone was an unfortunate one, earlier mind you, but it was the HTC Touch Point. Scarred for life. lol.

HTC Touch? That was a Windows Mobile phone (I liked my experience with the WM Treo Pro, but the OS definitely isn't going to fly easily with many people today), if it wasn't for the Windows branding Mobile and Phone share, I wouldn't be able to guess the two were related.

Seriously. Who the heck did they *make* that for? it's like a sick joke. Infact, i went into a store today to look at phones, as i was walking out i thought, ya know what, let me open my mind and go look at that (a windows phone). Picked it up, looked at it and put it right back where i found it.

For anyone I guess, I like the Metro UI IMHO. Minimalistic and looks unique. (I got my sister a Lumia 521, and she said the typography is nice) If anything looks like a toy, I feel that'd be iOS and arguably Android with their colorful cartoony icons. (varies for 'droid though of course) Sorry to hear its not to your liking, to each their own I guess.
    My opinions in bold above yet again.

In WP, holding the back button brings you to a sort of card switcher. 8 cards maximum (I could be wrong.) You can scroll back and forth and switch stuff but you cannot close them directly at this time. (To close apps, you have to *back-button* your way out of an app until you reach another app or the start screen.) Sounds cumbersome, but apparently WP is designed so that the user doesn't have to bother like iOS.

In a developmental build of Windows Phone Blue (8.1) found on a Lumia 920, close buttons were seen on the cards, but its not a feature as of my post today.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Metro ui too pretty for me. Every time I see it I think crayons, romper room etc., and what about the surface things? Don't look like real machines to me, I mean what kinda laptop is that when one can't adjust the angle of the screen. And the little colorful keyboards things. That's what I meant by looking like toys
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Metro ui too pretty for me. Every time I see it I think crayons, romper room etc., and what about the surface things? Don't look like real machines to me, I mean what kinda laptop is that when one can't adjust the angle of the screen. And the little colorful keyboards things. That's what I meant by looking like toys
    agree. looks very 80's and building blocks to me.

oh, tried my loaner android for 1 full day.

wow. it's almost like you can hear clunking sounds when you use it.

i will refrain from using the barf gif.
    they're mostly meant to be tablets, not full-blown laptops. (RT is more iPad, although the Pro is more ultrabook with an x86 Core i5 and whatnot, its meant to be a tablet with a keyboard addon)

You could always spring for the black if you want.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I went from 7 Pre- to Moto Photon (Sprint) to now GS4. Going from webOS to Android (or anything else really), you'll miss the ease of multitasking and cards altogether. webOS is so fluid and easy. Just swipe up and you have your cards. No long pressing or double pressing home button, no reload/restart of apps when you switch back and forth.... things we got so used to with webOS, are harder to do now. You wonder, why?

That's really the only major thing.

But what you gain is a whole another thing. I now have all the apps I want. Apps I really use and need like Tune In radio, Runkeeper, and Dolphin browser to name a few.
    Other than that, I could never go back to Pre hardware. GS4 hardware is nice. And the 5" 1920x1080 screen.... No way I can back.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I went from 7 Pre- to Moto Photon (Sprint) to now GS4. Going from webOS to Android (or anything else really), you'll miss the ease of multitasking and cards altogether. webOS is so fluid and easy. Just swipe up and you have your cards. No long pressing or double pressing home button, no reload/restart of apps when you switch back and forth.... things we got so used to with webOS, are harder to do now. You wonder, why?

That's really the only major thing.

But what you gain is a whole another thing. I now have all the apps I want. Apps I really use and need like Tune In radio, Runkeeper, and Dolphin browser to name a few.
    Other than that, I could never go back to Pre hardware. GS4 hardware is nice. And the 5" 1920x1080 screen.... No way I can back.
    btw, what's the best program or solution you've found to multitask? i'm on a moto admiral for the 2nd day now and want to throw this POS o/s out a window.
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    btw, what's the best program or solution you've found to multitask? i'm on a moto admiral for the 2nd day now and want to throw this POS o/s out a window.
    Best solution? Here's what I do usually. The long press is an option but I rarely use it. With Nova Launcher, you can add as many Docks as you want, up to 7 icons. I usually keep mine at 5 as they are easier to press. When I switch apps, it's usually by a quick tap on Home, and I relaunch apps by my dock. I have 3 docks, and some of the apps are doubled up. It works for me, maybe try it out and see for yourself, maybe it will work for you.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Holy crud! Where do I begin!?

I had to switch to a Galaxy Note2 twice. The first time back in Dec when I decided to buy the phone because of some mobile apps I needed (home automation). Three months later, I switched back to my Pre 3. About 2 to 3 months ago, I accidentally dropped my Pre3 from its perch on my bicycle (where I use it as a GPS nav device, activity tracker and music player) so I again had to move back to the Note 2.

Things I miss:

1. The physical thumbboard - virtual keyboard NO MATTER WHAT KIND I INSTALL, cannot match the confidence-inspiring feedback of a physical keyboard
    2. Just Type - For God's sake! It's so freaking hard to find an app I need or start a simple task with the stupid Android / Samsung UI. I've even tried GO (an alternative UI). It's just so frreaking hard to start a simple task. And sometimes when I'm on my bike, I'm scrambling through tabs, buttons, back buttons, etc. just to get to the action I want
    3. Cards! - I've always appreciated cards and being able to switch to the app/window/activity that I want by simply navigating the webOS cards. On Android, it keeps trying to build a stack of windows that I'd need to be a chess player with a deep memory to just remember how to navigate backwards (there's no forward) through the stack. The only alternative to navigating a workflow to the back button is the home button. And then I wouldn't be able to easily go back to the any random app that I was just using
    4. Physical design - I've dropped this stupid Note 2 so many times it's a wonder it hasn't broken. In my palm (hehe), the Pre3 hit like a glove. It didn't feel like I could just drop it when I held it to my face
    5. App catalog - For some reason, google's app catalog isn't as good or navigable or friendly as Palm's
    6. Synergy - the only thing that Android has close to it is the way you can Join contacts in Contact Manager. But only up to five connections. How I miss you Synergy! I don't care about having one app per instant messenger service! I just want one

I'll add more later after lunch
    Can you not just start typing an app name in the Google search bar, and it just starts populating as you type the letters in? Re: point number 2. There's what pops up for me after I enter the letter N.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I have been goofing around with my wife's Android phone and I really like that when scrolling through contacts it takes two steps to call other than WebOS that accidentally calls all the time
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast