Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    One thing about just type. I have only recently taken to using the recent searches feature by tapping the just type bar a LOT. Just to redo a search or call someone I called before seems so easy to me, even easier that call log. Dont know how I spent so many years without doing this more.
    Funnily enough, reading around this site, i just realized, i never HAD Just Type! . i was only on a Pre- (b/c of stupid sprint not getting any additional pres). I only had universal search, which is of course so awesome on a keyboard.
    I think one of the biggest bonuses is you don't have to mess around with iTunes. I can't tell you how much I loath that bloatware when I have to use it with my iPad. Things as simple as USB drive mode make it so easy to transfer music/videos/docs to and from my Veer. Big shout out to wifi file transfer for even easier file transfers and of course Internalz for being able to work with files on my Veer. I love too that both my music apps, built in Music Player and Music (Remix), can see songs on my Veer, something that my three ipad apps (built in player, File Explorer and 7digital) can't do. In short, the ipad is a mess when it comes to music file organization and deliberately makes it tough in the hope you'll stick with itunes.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    I think one of the biggest bonuses is you don't have to mess around with iTunes. I can't tell you how much I loath that bloatware when I have to use it with my iPad. Things as simple as USB drive mode make it so easy to transfer music/videos/docs to and from my Veer. Big shout out to wifi file transfer for even easier file transfers and of course Internalz for being able to work with files on my Veer. I love too that both my music apps, built in Music Player and Music (Remix), can see songs on my Veer, something that my three ipad apps (built in player, File Explorer and 7digital) can't do. In short, the ipad is a mess when it comes to music file organization and deliberately makes it tough in the hope you'll stick with itunes.
    I avoid everything apple, like the plague. lol.
    eKeith likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I might look into getting a touchpad if after 30 days of maldroid (<- that's me bitter) i can stomach enough to tolerate it until web o/s finds it's way back onto some new hardware, which will definitely happen one day, even though microsoft and apple will do their best to see it doesn't happen.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I second this! Then you can get a pre3! They are a huge improvement over a pre-. Also you can go gsm and use an mvno so you won't pay through the nose like you would on Verizon...
    What's an mvno? one of those $50 everything no contract plans?

man, i'm bummed i have no one in my family i can lend my sero to, that way they could just hold onto it for me and i could do something like that for a while with the option to switch back.

im gonna check out youtube for Pre3 videos.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    All the steps for muting my phone involve turning the screen on, slide to unlock and holding the volume rocker to minimum until it slides down to off....I'm willing to wager most phones are the same, and the OP is only going to have to "learn" this for whatever phone they choose, not all the phones, lol. Sure, it's no simple button, but it doesn't take a 360 page manual to figure this out either ...
    If memory serves, Palm patented the hardware slider mute and the patent is probably now owned by that useless company HP... This feature is probably not seen as worth the licensing cost by any other companies and as such we may never see it again...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    I avoid everything apple, like the plague. lol.
    I always said the same thing, but when it came time to choose an alternative, I preferred iOS over Android. :/ Like choosing to lose a finger or a toe.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    If memory serves, Palm patented the hardware slider mute and the patent is probably now owned by that useless company HP... This feature is probably not seen as worth the licensing cost by any other companies and as such we may never see it again...
    There are some current phones that have them, and honestly, it just doesn't seem like a patentable idea to me (but then, we are talking about the US patent system)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/21/2013 at 03:33 PM.
    What's an mvno? one of those $50 everything no contract plans?

man, i'm bummed i have no one in my family i can lend my sero to, that way they could just hold onto it for me and i could do something like that for a while with the option to switch back.

im gonna check out youtube for Pre3 videos.
    MVNOs are resellers of another wireless company's service. Some offer cheaper rates.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/21/2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    MVNOs are resellers of another wireless company's service. Some offer cheaper rates.
    ahh. thanks.
    Hello paisley99!

I just read the whole thread, and I have the feeling that you share some of my own feelings about webOS. After beeing forced to use an android smartphone (by the thief whole stole my Pre3) for about 9 months, I bought a new Pre3. Compared to Pre- and Pre2, the performance is a lot better. And I still prefer the ease of use and intuitiveness of webOS.

My solution right now: For the apps I'm missing most on my Pre3 and in the whole webOS ecosystem (i. e. Audible, Kindle, PathAway, some medical apps without webOS counterpart) I'm using the android device (in my case it's a Dell Streak 5 atm); for all the rest like phone calls, texting, calendar and task management, online banking, twitter, browsing the web and reading the news in my spare time, writing short notes in meetings, uploading those to evernote, even recording voice memos (and converting them to text via DNS on the desktop PC) I'm still using the Pre3. Even as my preferred gps navigation device. In rural Romania, the current OSM maps of Navit have beaten the most recent Navigon maps. A real shortcoming is the non-functional dropboxify webOS app, which would need an update after dropbox had changed it's API. (*)

So in fact I'm back into the past times of Palm PDA and mobile phone - two devices, each of them for specific purposes.

Maybe I will get a used Google Nexus and install OpenWebOS via webosports later.

Carsten

(*) Edit: Found the dropbox thread, could get back the dropboxify app to function. Great website, great forum, magnificient community! Thanks to all of you!
    Last edited by ZehHa; 08/28/2013 at 03:10 AM.
    paisley99 likes this.
    What I miss the most is the intuitiveness of WebOS. I have a Samsung S3, and it's great, but simple things like JUST TYPE are missing. It takes at least 3 to 4 steps to do what WebOS did in one or two.

I would REALLY like to have another WebOS phone - my Pre (and my FrankenPre) were great. Even my son admits that, who had a Pixi.
    In app cards liol and Panel notifications

Sent from my iPhone using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    What I miss the most is the intuitiveness of WebOS. I have a Samsung S3, and it's great, but simple things like JUST TYPE are missing. It takes at least 3 to 4 steps to do what WebOS did in one or two.

I would REALLY like to have another WebOS phone - my Pre (and my FrankenPre) were great. Even my son admits that, who had a Pixi.
    Yeah, i just turned on my laoner android today that i'll have for a few days before the X comes out, i keep trying to figure out where are the screens i'm on coming from. lol. Where are they relative to one another, then when i close one all the sudden they just aren't there, but it came from the back, where did it go? lol. it all makes no sense. sometimes they pop up from the back, and then later stuff populates onto it. absolute mayhem. *smh* At least so far it's just laughable. Clunky is such an apt term for this o/s. it looks like something that would have been made in the 80's relative to web o/s.

But pre is with me, i suspect he will be for some time during my 30 day moto x trial. He's not going *anywhere*. Man, i am so attached to him. He is def. a part of me.
    Fisack23 likes this.
    Here's the long story below, but short story, what is the worst thing about leaving Pre?

Long story: I'm having a mini phone crisis. lol. I love my Palm. I guess it is what is now referred to as Pre minus? The original Palm Pre. I love him so much. Been using him since the day i stood on line. For some reason, not even sure why, i'm moving on. Maybe i just want a faster phone. And a bigger screen. The chase banking app and citibike information.

Android has never appealed to me, i've always heard it is glitchy and stuttery and laggy, etc. Whatever it is, nothing i've heard about it has every really made me want to switch. But i'm trying to see videos of my dog on this tiny screen, etc so lo and behold the Moto X is coming out and it has a couple things that appeal to me. Whatever they are. Dunno. There's something a little intelligent about it, and voiceless controls seem cool. But the closer i get to moving on the harder it gets. I know that Android cannot offer what web os does, that's been clear since day one. So today i went to a carrier to really see what this Android has that i know web os does best, multitasking Eh, it was whatever. Unfun that's for sure. But it was faster, so i liked that. Bigger screen, liked that. Everything else was a snooze fest and clearly weak but whatever. I'm also worried about notifications and i'm sure other stuff is missing from the o/s, cohesion for sure. But for those who left and are either still with android or who have come back, what's the worst i will run into with Android that will make me want to come back to my Pre?
    multitasking always! that's why i came back!
    Here's the long story below, but short story, what is the worst thing about leaving Pre?

Long story: I'm having a mini phone crisis. lol. I love my Palm. I guess it is what is now referred to as Pre minus? The original Palm Pre. I love him so much. Been using him since the day i stood on line. For some reason, not even sure why, i'm moving on. Maybe i just want a faster phone. And a bigger screen. The chase banking app and citibike information.

Android has never appealed to me, i've always heard it is glitchy and stuttery and laggy, etc. Whatever it is, nothing i've heard about it has every really made me want to switch. But i'm trying to see videos of my dog on this tiny screen, etc so lo and behold the Moto X is coming out and it has a couple things that appeal to me. Whatever they are. Dunno. There's something a little intelligent about it, and voiceless controls seem cool. But the closer i get to moving on the harder it gets. I know that Android cannot offer what web os does, that's been clear since day one. So today i went to a carrier to really see what this Android has that i know web os does best, multitasking Eh, it was whatever. Unfun that's for sure. But it was faster, so i liked that. Bigger screen, liked that. Everything else was a snooze fest and clearly weak but whatever. I'm also worried about notifications and i'm sure other stuff is missing from the o/s, cohesion for sure. But for those who left and are either still with android or who have come back, what's the worst i will run into with Android that will make me want to come back to my Pre?
    I recommend WP8. Its nice and smooth
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I recommend WP8. Its nice and smooth
    Problem with microsoft is everything they make these days look like toys. I dont have a windows 8 phone, but i do have a windows 8 laptop, Hard for me to take metro ui serious, just looks like something for kids
    Using a Nokia 521 with WP8(looking at Nokia 925) and how I miss cards and tossing them off the top to close. WP8 is difficult to close app's.

My first smartphone the Pre3 sits on the nightstand next to my bed resting on a Palm Touchstone in all it's beautiful glory telling me I have emails and RSS' to read. Reminds of the girl next door you were infatuated with and you went on a few dates fell in love and then...........Léo Apotheker entered my dream and did the 'ol c*ock block on the best phone OS available.
    Doesnt wp8 have a sort of card interface somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Yeah. Double tap home button like iphony. I think.

On the desktop it has some kinda stuff, I didn't even bother to figure it out. Too much stuff like down at the bottom in this corner and the right side etc. The mouse can do some stuff too
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast