Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Dude, I am twice removed from my Pre and I miss it everyday. Thank God my TouchPad is still going strong so I have some webOS goodness. I'm using an Android phone right now. Let's face it, iOS, Windows Phone, and Android are no where near as easy or intuitive to use as webOS. WebOS 1.4 is still light years ahead of them all in terms of usability. What you will lose right off the bat:

Intelligent notifications. Only Android comes close but there is some inconsistencies with viewing and dismissing notifications on Android. IOS notifications are so poor that I consider them a cruel joke. Best just to turn them off.

Can you elaborate for me what is inconsistent please? Not saying you're wrong, but I've only seen stock notifications.
    iOS notifications are not as great as they should. When they appear, they often cover up the top bar and back button. You can't clear individual notifications either, you have to try to hit a dinky (x) twice to clear stuff. When you do, you clear everything from that one app in the list. (JB can fix that) Not the best, but they notify you.

Multitasking. No one does it better than webOS. Card view is ingenious, consistent across apps, and easy to learn to use. Again Android is the only thing that comes close, but that is not saying much. Each app behaves differently when switching away and then back to it. Multitasking in iOS is about the same as the notifications, a joke. Double tapping the home key to switch apps? Might as well not use it.

webOS pretty much nailed it, in pretty much everything else, multitasking is an added-on afterthought. (and sometimes it is) I haven't tried BB10, so I can't say about that, but Android isn't as fluid to use and the "cards" are not live. iOS 4 -> 6 had a pretty crappy row of icons requiring you to double-tap the home button to switch. meh. iOS 7 is pretty much a rip off of webOS and looks better for sure, but still uses the double-tap and I can't say about multitasking, probably just screenshots too. I do know on my resource constrained iPod touch, iOS would close apps automatically instead of popping up something like Too Many Cards, which is how it was designed.

Muting sound. The button on top of the Pre that mutes the sound is quick and very useful. Get ready to learn all of the steps it takes on each different Android phone to do a task that is simple on a Pre. My Motorola Photon was the only thing that comes close to pulling this off in as little steps as possible (turn on screen, swipe sound icon on lock screen to mute).

I'm sad to see a ringer switch isn't as common as it should. Great on the Treo, great on the Pre. The iPhone has one I believe, and it really varies outside of that.

Gestures. Nothing comes close, not even Android. Get ready for some hacks on both Android and iOS that will only give you a third of the functionality of webOS' gestures. This will also be inconsistent across apps and require some additional tweaking just to get it to activated.

Not many use gestures, Android, iOS, and Windows Phone still use the tried-and-true virtual and physical buttons. I think BB10 does the most with gestures. Again as he said, third-party mods are out there.

Physical keyboard. Everyone has pretty much move towards software keyboards. Candy bar phones sell more that sliders. You will find some pretty interesting software keyboards in Android. For the unique things that each one offers you will find something that each lacks. IOS (default) has the second best software keyboard I've used. Believe it or not, the TouchPad's software keyboard (with LunaCE tweaks) is by far the best I've used.

Physical KBs are becoming more and more rare, the best QWERTY offering is probably the BB Q10, but I haven't used it. The keyboard is supposed to be good though.

One handed operation. Not happening on iOS. The OS is just not set up for it. Same with Android. On top of that the huge screens that most Android phones have hinder one handed use.

Nothing really parallels the one-handed usability of the Treos and its competitors in the day, but with growing screens and hands that just stay the same size, you'll be hard pressed to find a phone that's easy to use one-handed (To quote my friend, "One does not simply use the Note II one-handed") iOS isn't as friendly to one-handed use as webOS (with the back button usually in the upper-left) but it works somewhat OK because Apple has kept the screen size at a decent (depends on personal preference) 3.5" - 4" but it's going to be even worse on the Android end with the massive screens and no compact high-end offering in sight. (a la Veer or Pre size, or even 3.5" iPhone) Windows Phone has the Lumia 620 with a 3.7" display, but these things really depend on you.

In app settings. Android has this and it is pretty much on par with webOS. Just a tiny step behind. IOS is finally getting this in version 7 but the menu looks clunky and out of place.

To be fair, you are getting a lot in return for losing webOS' kick **** UI and ease of use. On both Android and iOS you are getting a ton of apps (if that's your thing). On iOS you get Apple's extensive multimedia and hardware ecosystem. You get cutting edge state of the art hardware with Android (you get the same with Apple two years later and they will swear they invented it or somehow made it better). You get bigger, beautiful screens and have to sit through someone spouting off about pixel density even though after a certain point no human being can tell the difference.

yep

Good luck in your hunt to find a replacement. Be prepared to settle for less and miss your Pre everyday. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you won't miss it because they would be lying to you. BTW, I used Windows Phone for about 5 minutes (4 1/2 minutes too long). Did not like it at all, but the minimal time using it does not qualify me to have an opinion on it.

I've used Windows Phone a bit more (setting up and playing with my sister's Lumia 521) and I can say that it's a legitimate contender and not something that should be counted out right from the get go. It's fast and smooth, (pretty good-looking IMO) the app situation really depends on you, but coming from webOS it shouldn't be a downgrade. Look/get a feel for phones before you leap.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    My opinions are in bold above
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    paisley99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    That is at least very good news.
    I'm so worried about that, i think that's the stupidest multi-tasking procedure. ugly. omg, just to hang up? *puke*. hate this pos phone already. lol.
    Well, one this iOS does have going for it is the bar that sits at the top of the screen when you switch away from an active call, which returns you to the phone app when you tap it. I do appreciate that and assume it's staying with iOS 7.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/20/2013 at 10:53 PM.
    . There is no emoticon sad enough to express the way i am feeling.

Can you tell me any programs, or apps, or settings, or launchers or whatever that might have made android as bearable as possible? Man, i know it's bad when a person has to move over to iOS. ouch. I'm dreading these crappy notifications. *dreading*. *hork*.

oh retch. that's just foul.
    I wish I could, but I quit Android a year ago. I do remember that when I tried out a launcher, the setting to make it the default would not stick, so almost every time I hit the home button it would ask me which app to use. :cuss:
    I haven't had the tablet long enough to customize it, and frankly, I don't want to get back into it enough to do so. It's for movies and ESPN Scorecenter.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/20/2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    A bit of history: I started with a Palm Z22 and thought how can I get that functionality on a phone, so went for a Treo 680. A second 680 after I left the first one in the back of a cab. When the Pre- finally came out in the UK I got one of those, it started playing up so I got a Pre 2. Got my Pre3 in December after much deliberation and not regretting it at all. I fear the day that it dies.

The real keyboard is a must, though Swype works ok with CM9 on my TP, not as quick. Been looking at the BB Q10 as they have now done what Palm did in '09 and completely changed up their OS to QNX. Just waiting for the BB firesale ;-)
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Dude, I am twice removed from my Pre and I miss it everyday. Thank God my TouchPad is still going strong so I have some webOS goodness. I'm using an Android phone right now. Let's face it, iOS, Windows Phone, and Android are no where near as easy or intuitive to use as webOS. WebOS 1.4 is still light years ahead of them all in terms of usability. What you will lose right off the bat:

Intelligent notifications. Only Android comes close but there is some inconsistencies with viewing and dismissing notifications on Android. IOS notifications are so poor that I consider them a cruel joke. Best just to turn them off.

Multitasking. No one does it better than webOS. Card view is ingenious, consistent across apps, and easy to learn to use. Again Android is the only thing that comes close, but that is not saying much. Each app behaves differently when switching away and then back to it. Multitasking in iOS is about the same as the notifications, a joke. Double tapping the home key to switch apps? Might as well not use it.

Muting sound. The button on top of the Pre that mutes the sound is quick and very useful. Get ready to learn all of the steps it takes on each different Android phone to do a task that is simple on a Pre. My Motorola Photon was the only thing that comes close to pulling this off in as little steps as possible (turn on screen, swipe sound icon on lock screen to mute).

Gestures. Nothing comes close, not even Android. Get ready for some hacks on both Android and iOS that will only give you a third of the functionality of webOS' gestures. This will also be inconsistent across apps and require some additional tweaking just to get it to activated.

Physical keyboard. Everyone has pretty much move towards software keyboards. Candy bar phones sell more that sliders. You will find some pretty interesting software keyboards in Android. For the unique things that each one offers you will find something that each lacks. IOS (default) has the second best software keyboard I've used. Believe it or not, the TouchPad's software keyboard (with LunaCE tweaks) is by far the best I've used.

One handed operation. Not happening on iOS. The OS is just not set up for it. Same with Android. On top of that the huge screens that most Android phones have hinder one handed use.

In app settings. Android has this and it is pretty much on par with webOS. Just a tiny step behind. IOS is finally getting this in version 7 but the menu looks clunky and out of place.

To be fair, you are getting a lot in return for losing webOS' kick **** UI and ease of use. On both Android and iOS you are getting a ton of apps (if that's your thing). On iOS you get Apple's extensive multimedia and hardware ecosystem. You get cutting edge state of the art hardware with Android (you get the same with Apple two years later and they will swear they invented it or somehow made it better). You get bigger, beautiful screens and have to sit through someone spouting off about pixel density even though after a certain point no human being can tell the difference.

Good luck in your hunt to find a replacement. Be prepared to settle for less and miss your Pre everyday. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you won't miss it because they would be lying to you. BTW, I used Windows Phone for about 5 minutes (4 1/2 minutes too long). Did not like it at all, but the minimal time using it does not qualify me to have an opinion on it.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Seeing all those amazing things that the pre can do, and seeing that android does that pretty much woefully, is ... not good.

I'm getting a Motorola Moto X. At very least it has a pared down somewhat vanilla android o/s, perhaps this comes in handy, dunno. And also at very least it is smaller than most of the jumbo phones that are out these days. Not by much mind you, but it's smaller than sammys galaxies 3 and 4. And at least it has something groovy, the Always Ready voice thing where you can ask it for the weather or whatever without even touching it. Obviously nothing near a substition for all the loss, but at least it makes the 'which awful android to get' no longer an issue, cuz it has fewer of the things i don't want that makes choosing one a chore. And you can see who he reminds of:

http://androidandme.wpengine.netdna-...-4-630x326.jpg

http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadg...in-use-635.jpg

No substitution obviously for the gorgeous pebble pre. Oh the keyboard.

Damn. This really really sucks. Unfortunately the most i gain is hardware, and that's all i want, faster and a screen greater than 3.2".. I want nothing else, apps don't thrill me and even if they did, i could get whatever i needed from people here that put all kinds of cool stuff together. I don't even gain LTE cuz manhattan doesn't have it yet. Yeah, i'm with Sprint. lol

Man, i love that silence button. Love it. (Good to know it was the Motorola that had the best option, since i'm getting a motorola, or, a googarola). Actually, i love everything about what the Pre/Web o/s can do, and it's surreal that Android can do NONE OF IT. That's what's so bizarre. 5 years+ old and android can't get NOTIFICATION OF YOUR COMMUNICATION on a phone right? i mean, come ON.

Wow, it looks like i lose every single solitary great or cool thing about the pre and gain absolutely nothing from android itself. I gain only a phone with newer hardware, and moto x i get a cool way to set alarms and check the weather, both of which i would give up for notification and email like the pre.

Okay. The X comes out on Friday (i think) and i'll give it a hearty try even with my broken heart. I'll come back here when i set it up to get the best set up possible. I took my palm out of his case last week as an ode to it, he looks amazing. It's so strange how hard this is, but then again, it's like going back in time, maybe by about 10 years if i were to guess how long it will take before android catches up. Not to mention losing a machine with so much personality.

It's the multitasking that will kill me the most.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    A bit of history: I started with a Palm Z22 and thought how can I get that functionality on a phone, so went for a Treo 680. A second 680 after I left the first one in the back of a cab. When the Pre- finally came out in the UK I got one of those, it started playing up so I got a Pre 2. Got my Pre3 in December after much deliberation and not regretting it at all. I fear the day that it dies.

The real keyboard is a must, though Swype works ok with CM9 on my TP, not as quick. Been looking at the BB Q10 as they have now done what Palm did in '09 and completely changed up their OS to QNX. Just waiting for the BB firesale ;-)
    It hurts that i can't use a Palm3 on my carrier. hurts. my problems would be pretty much solved, i think.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Well, here's one thing i'll be adding.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ad.adib.roundr
    The heartbreak of heartbreaks is that i'm with Sprint and we never got the Pre3, or i would just get that.
    Surely you're off-contract by now? Maybe time to switch to Verizon? There are still some Verizon Prełs on eBay.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    2. Just Type (nothing compares).
    I should have mentioned this, as well--I'm just so used to it that I forget and take it for granted. I've watched my wife search for things on her iPhone 4, and am repeatedly amazed how hard it is to search her own data. It may be that she's not doing it exactly right, but that's sorta my point--there never was much that you needed to know about Just Type, since it just worked.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Surely you're off-contract by now? Maybe time to switch to Verizon? There are still some Verizon Prełs on eBay.

I second this! Then you can get a pre3! They are a huge improvement over a pre-. Also you can go gsm and use an mvno so you won't pay through the nose like you would on Verizon...
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Ah, i'm on a Sprint Sero plan. Right now on the Palm Pre i pay $40/mo with everything data and messaging (+450 talk of which i use about 2 mins a month cuz every cell phone you call no matter the carrier is included)

so, nooooo wayyyy. .

When i go up to a new phone it'll be an extra $10/month, so i'll be at $50, but that's far better than $90+.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I should have mentioned this, as well--I'm just so used to it that I forget and take it for granted. I've watched my wife search for things on her iPhone 4, and am repeatedly amazed how hard it is to search her own data. It may be that she's not doing it exactly right, but that's sorta my point--there never was much that you needed to know about Just Type, since it just worked.
    are you telling me there's no universal search on this thing?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I miss the general user interface. I've been using the HTC One as my daily driver for a few months and I love it. Sense 5 is nothing short of incredible. However, I still miss the simple interaction with the interface. The cards implementation by Palm was brilliant. It was so easy to keep everything running simultaneously and keep track of what was going on. The user interface felt like I truly had desktop-type power in the palm of my hands.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Remy X, laingman and paisley99 like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    It was so easy to keep everything running simultaneously and keep track of what was going on. The user interface felt like I truly had desktop-type power in the palm of my hands.
    Yes. Well put. my g-d, what have they done.
    Remy X likes this.
    are you telling me there's no universal search on this thing?
    If you're asking about the MotoX, then no--I have no idea what the state of device-level search is on Android. I'm sure that someone who's watching this thread does, though.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If you're asking about the MotoX, then no--I have no idea what the state of device-level search is on Android. I'm sure that someone who's watching this thread does, though.
    yeah, android. prolly not. i'll prolly have to download some shady buggy app for it. that Just Type is kickass.i do it every single day.
    All the steps for muting my phone involve turning the screen on, slide to unlock and holding the volume rocker to minimum until it slides down to off....I'm willing to wager most phones are the same, and the OP is only going to have to "learn" this for whatever phone they choose, not all the phones, lol. Sure, it's no simple button, but it doesn't take a 360 page manual to figure this out either

As for the Universal Search, if memory serves me correctly, due to some Apple injunction, it was removed from all American sold phones. It works on my phone here, both for contacts and apps. I have a persistent Google search bar at the top of every home screen, which is where I would type. There was a workaround app called Google Gesture Search, I used it briefly, but not much need for it myself. By activating it with a pre-determined motion, you simply started drawing letters on your screen and the more letters that you drew, the more options would show up.

One thing I've always liked (which requires a new launcher, I use Nova) is the Dock. You can stack apps together in groups, or if you prefer, have multiple docks that you can swipe left or right to cycle through them. I rarely go into my app directory anymore. My most used apps are on my Docks, and I have a home page or two that I keep secondary apps on.

Nice to have Music Player Remix available as well, it has improved tremendously since it's initial launch in Preware.
    Last edited by sledge007; 08/21/2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    paisley99 likes this.
    I keep hearing about this "Okay Google Now" phrase. Thats seem like a mouth full to me just to get a phone to do something. I would feel pretty silly blurting that out even if I were alone
    paisley99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I keep hearing about this "Okay Google Now" phrase. Thats seem like a mouth full to me just to get a phone to do something. I would feel pretty silly blurting that out even if I were alone
    I believe it's intended to be used when you're busy and can't use your hands....ie driving. I've rarely used it. I tend to stream music via Bluetooth while driving, and phone calls/texts/notifications interrupt the stream, so I generally put on Blocking Mode to avoid those until I get to where I'm going. I used to be bad using my phone while driving but I rarely do so anymore because of this.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    One thing about just type. I have only recently taken to using the recent searches feature by tapping the just type bar a LOT. Just to redo a search or call someone I called before seems so easy to me, even easier that call log. Dont know how I spent so many years without doing this more.
    bethel95 and gizmo21 like this.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast