Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Good on them for getting $350 for those suckers. There are a lot of people who wont pay more than $200 or $300 for a tablet. These people want a good product that isn't a knockoff android POS.
    Interesting if we could find out how many of them were "expecting" a normal windows'alike device to run their normal desktop stuff and how many didnt care or know already.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X likes this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Interesting if we could find out how many of them were "expecting" a normal windows'alike device to run their normal desktop stuff and how many didnt care or know already.
    Most consumers probably got fleeced thinking it was compatible with desktop. Very few bargain hunters stop to do adequate research...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Most consumers probably got fleeced thinking it was compatible with desktop. Very few bargain hunters stop to do adequate research...
    i personally find your comment quite interesting in this regard, considering before diving into webOS starting with the touchpad i actually did a LOT of time consuming research into all the options available, and on a mission to find something portable/tablet like that shared some characteristics of my fave Amiga computer system i came to conclude that webOS and the touchpad were what i actually wanted (well, i did pre-order and buy at full price and got a handful of accessories not long after).

    2+ years later and here i am still have what i want OS/hardware wise i suppose, its just ofc like us all the software side of things didnt quite flesh out as i'd hoped.

    Funny that even with some good accurate research we can still end up at an unusual result.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow likes this.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i personally find your comment quite interesting in this regard, considering before diving into webOS starting with the touchpad i actually did a LOT of time consuming research into all the options available, and on a mission to find something portable/tablet like that shared some characteristics of my fave Amiga computer system i came to conclude that webOS and the touchpad were what i actually wanted (well, i did pre-order and buy at full price and got a handful of accessories not long after).

    2+ years later and here i am still have what i want OS/hardware wise i suppose, its just ofc like us all the software side of things didnt quite flesh out as i'd hoped.

    Funny that even with some good accurate research we can still end up at an unusual result.
    But you're not like most consumers...

    You're a geek.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    geekpeter and sledge007 like this.
  5.    #25  
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6. #26  
    we have few Asus win 8 rt tablets in our company and I can say only good things regarding UX and general speed and responsiveness.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    we have few Asus win 8 rt tablets in our company and I can say only good things regarding UX and general speed and responsiveness.
    is the lack of standard x86 programs/apps an issue or being just for your company does it just really need access to the office side of things which already has ARM compatability anyways.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8. #28  
    We bought them for specific and pretty limited use. EAS sync and Excel/Word support was only thing we needed. I was surprised how nice they work (ok, there is one idiotic thing regarding office - if you open office file in metro mode it switches to desktop and then loads content of file!?) . Yeah, there is really few apps for RT, but web browsing experience is almost the same as experience on Ipad. I've tried and used many Android tablets and never seen any that can be compared with this win8 rt tablets.
    If anything kills win8 rt it will be Microsoft's lack of vision and not technical shortcomings of OS (painfully known story).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Microsoft now needs to live with the reputation they've built themselves...

    As the core of their monopoly evaporates, they still try to hang onto their toxic, anti-innovative and inflexible corporate culture. I can only imagine the ride ahead...


    tl;dr Ballmer needs to retire
    I'm pretty sure they've just done a pret-ty big reorg and whatnot. I think Ballmer's DEVELOPERS chant could be useful right about now in pushing WP and RT.

    MS does have some image problem, its seemingly in-fashion to bash them without real reason. (in comments and press)

    Actually, I'm tempted by the RT, was thinking of losing my Thinkpad and getting a half-decent desktop and the Surface RT.

    I think the problem stems from RT's similarity to x86 Windows 8. It's pretty much a direct ARM port. Leading to confusion. I don't think anyone's going to mistake the iOS on the iPad for OSX Maverick.
    And since its strikingly similar, people can complain about the lack of x86 support. (and because the Windows Store is no App Store as of now)

    But the moment I heard of it, I knew it was going to be an uphill (heck, upcliff) battle to distinguish it from standard Windows. While the low-heat, low-power-ness of ARM, and no Haswell-thingie in sight made RT a good idea at the time, maybe it would have worked better to style RT more like Windows Phone than normal desktop Windows or just have foregone it altogether, because people are going to feel cheated ("What? It's WINDOWS, must be another money-grabbing scam by M$ to get me to buy the Pro"). MS would probably have to scream "NO STANDARD WINDOWS APPS THAT YOU KNOW FOR TECHNICAL REASONS." to get the point across. But then people won't buy it except for those who know what they're getting.

    I feel there's no right answer, but with the advent of Haswell, which is only going to improve in future generations, and confusion, I feel RT has no future. Or at least name it Windows Light. (what does "RT" stand for?!)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  10.    #30  
    to be fair M$oft do have reason to be bashed, they keep trying to enforce things that they should know will upset their customers, just look at their xbox180 for example, 2 major disaster decisions that they have had to be publically 180d/about faced due to a gigantic backlash of public anger + sony not doing the same making m$oft look stupid.

    Same with windows8, didnt include a start bar, then bam anger from the community and another 180 and now they have a start bar back in play.

    Its not that their the best thing to steriotypically bash, apple is now the gigantic money sucking evil overlords in the eyes of many, m$oft lost that title quite some time ago, the issue now isnt a bad imge in that area, its just that they keep making stupid choices on their products that anger many including customers who were loyal to them expecting that their flock of followers will do as their told and buy their stuff regardless.

    Those days are over, people have a massive choice of products on their hands, many of which do not indluce m$oft in any way, no-one has to do what m$oft tells them too and tbh, thats the way its going, people just are fed up and not bothering.

    Then there is their 180/about face fiasco's, how many times are they going to publically change their decisions and look a bunch of fools, how about they just get it right first time for once?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    (what does "RT" stand for?!)
    my understanding, Windows Run-Time or RT, is based on WOW (Windows on Windows), starting with windows 3.1.1 they had a windows on windows (wow32) 32 bit app on 16 bit OS, then when x64 on x86 came out they did the same WOW64 created a 32 OS with 64 bits riding on top, They had only one true 64 bit OS which ran on the Intel itanium processor. So windows RT is compiled on a ARM chip but has WOW windows on windows, to run some desktop legacy apps, like office 2013?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Runtime
    Last edited by John Steffes; 08/03/2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    my understanding, Windows Run-Time or RT, is based on WOW (Windows on Windows), starting with windows 3.1.1 they had a windows on windows (wow32) 32 bit app on 16 bit OS, then when x64 on x86 came out they did the same WOW64 created a 32 OS with 64 bits riding on top, They had only one true 64 bit OS which ran on the Intel itanium processor. So windows RT is compiled on a ARM chip but has WOW windows on windows, to run some desktop legacy apps, like office 2013?

    Windows Runtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Doesn't Office run on top of a VM itself?

    So, if the underlying win32 libs are recompiled for ARM and then the Office VM is, it should run without a problem, as long as calls to legacy components are all covered...

    I wonder if any Windows legacy app can be recompiled and side-loaded, or if Microsoft is trying to enforce its own rules in that area...
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Doesn't Office run on top of a VM itself?

    So, if the underlying win32 libs are recompiled for ARM and then the Office VM is, it should run without a problem, as long as calls to legacy components are all covered...

    I wonder if any Windows legacy app can be recompiled and side-loaded, or if Microsoft is trying to enforce its own rules in that area...
    Well according to the Wiki (Windows RT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), there is a "Jailbreak" exploit that people have used to get passed the signing, and have run many applications, but soon that will be fixed...

    But the whole issue with RT is the same with most platforms, you need developers...

    Developers want money, Microsoft needs to pump major $$$ into their developers to make their app store better...

    Look HP/Palm Partnered (HP/Palm gave lots of $$$) to EA, Rovio, Time, Amazon, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc...

    The moment the contracted Partnership was dropped, EA/Rovio stopped updating their games, Time pulled all their apps and discontinued their support, Amazon has never updated the Beta, and the Facebook/LinkedIn app was never updated...

    Even PIC had to force OpenMobile to by paying $$$ to finish their app to have Android Apps on the Touchpad...

    Microsoft needs to Pay $$$ lots of money to get their app store where apples/googles are now...

    They have the $$$, but do they want to keep spending the money to be #3?
  14. #34  
    I have recently been playing with a $2 HP iPAQ-hx2110 PDA device and "upgraded" it to WM6.1 (from WM2003 or somesuch!).
    = ARM running M$oft Office Mobile; 'Excel' & 'Powerpoint' & 'Word' - V. 97-2003!
    Interestingly there is also still an App available called 'StyleTap' ~ to allow running of some old 'Palm' Apps & Games!
    Also chasing a Compact Flash Wifi Adaptor for it!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/04/2013 at 08:58 AM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X, xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
  15. #35  
    I've got an iPAQ rx3115 lying around somewhere... (actually I know exactly where it is) Mine is stuck at Pocket PC 2003 and can't get over the hump into Windows Mobile due to architecture.

    Those things are work horses. I enjoyed the heck out of mine and used it non-stop for more years than I probably should have. They still do what they were designed to do quite well.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Mutoidi likes this.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I've got an iPAQ rx3115 lying around somewhere... (actually I know exactly where it is) Mine is stuck at Pocket PC 2003 and can't get over the hump into Windows Mobile due to architecture.

    Those things are work horses. I enjoyed the heck out of mine and used it non-stop for more years than I probably should have. They still do what they were designed to do quite well.

    Great! Indeed they are DejaVu 'Workhorses'!

    "Pssst!" Bro, why not have a little 'try' here: (this took me DAYS to find!)

    http://rapidshare.com/files/11398901...01.03_WM6.1.7z
    ('7Zip' Pass: PhamQuang)

    Connect up with ActiveSynch 4.5 to PC ('XP' should auto-install USB drivers).

    Worth a go perhaps anyway! If it 'bricks', restore your orig. OS - or just put it back in that drawer?

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/06/2013 at 04:55 AM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Great! Indeed they are DejaVu 'Workhorses'!

    "Pssst!" Bro, why not have a little 'try' here: (this took me DAYS to find!)

    http://rapidshare.com/files/11398901...01.03_WM6.1.7z
    ('7Zip' Pass: PhamQuang)

    Connect up with ActiveSynch 4.5 to PC ('XP' should auto-install USB drivers).
    Get into 'PRE-BL' mode - Press Contacts + iTask + Reset.
    Flash the WM6.1 ROM - comes with Loader - double click on 'HP' logo/file.
    Then once loaded, immediately do a Full Hard Reset - Press Calendar + Messaging + Power + Reset.
    You should then see 'Formatting PS' or 'Hard Reset' on screen.
    Reboot - voila!

    Worth a go perhaps anyway! If it 'bricks', restore your orig. OS - or just put it back in that drawer?

    Enjoy!

    Thanx, but as I said it's an architecture thing... Your hx is an Xscale and the rx is a "Friendly ARM" which never drew enough support... Comparison: Hewlett-Packard iPAQ hx2110 / hx2115 vs. Hewlett-Packard iPAQ rx3115 | PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net

    I went round and round on this over at XDA. Couldn't find a ROM, get a ROM cooked or find a Linux port... This Old iPAQ rx3115 (Other Oldtimers Welcome) - xda-developers
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  18. #38  
    No worries!
    Great to see you hammering away on that XDA thread too!
    So it looks like the rx kinda 'fell between the cracks', but that HP at least got it to a 'Second Edition' anyway!
    Does your rx Wifi Module 'occupy' what was the CF slot then?

    Good.. but "Damn"!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/06/2013 at 04:56 AM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Actually, I'm tempted by the RT, was thinking of losing my Thinkpad and getting a half-decent desktop and the Surface RT.
    I've played with Surface RT today. My business partner (an MS channel blah, blah, blah something) got it form MS for $99 (with smart cover attached). It runs Win 8.1. It runs sick. I was really impressed. Smart cover keyboard works amazingly well.
    Retail price is too high but I assume it will go down soon. Shortage of apps will still be there sadly.
    xandros9 likes this.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I've played with Surface RT today. My business partner (an MS channel blah, blah, blah something) got it form MS for $99 (with smart cover attached). It runs Win 8.1. It runs sick. I was really impressed. Smart cover keyboard works amazingly well.
    Retail price is too high but I assume it will go down soon. Shortage of apps will still be there sadly.
    I also have the Microsoft surface but the hp touchpad still has better multitasking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Deja vu-Apotheker speaks again today 3 pm ET
    By bluenote in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06/02/2011, 02:58 PM
  2. Deja vu
    By Mol in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09/09/2003, 02:12 PM
  3. "Around the Web" deja vu
    By vagabond in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01/29/2003, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions