Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 4 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    Rivals Adopting webOS Features

anyone seen any other similar type of news thats worth a read?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    ananimus, Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Sure I've seen a few, but that one pretty well and concisely covers it. After 4 years, so much of webOS is still only available in parts from the various competitors.

I want to highlight webOS was also first touch interface (I believe) to make notifications and other dashboard stuff appear at the *bottom* of the screen, with less common system tasks relegated to the top. As opposed to the Android/iOS drawers you have to drag down all the way from the top. That's a small design detail, but IMHO it makes a world of difference in that your thumb rather naturally sits near the bottom and screens keep getting bigger. Less of a reach, you know? BB10 has that sort of right at least.
    Remy X and namgod like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Sure I've seen a few, but that one pretty well and concisely covers it. After 4 years, so much of webOS is still only available in parts from the various competitors.

I want to highlight webOS was also first touch interface (I believe) to make notifications and other dashboard stuff appear at the *bottom* of the screen, with less common system tasks relegated to the top. As opposed to the Android/iOS drawers you have to drag down all the way from the top. That's a small design detail, but IMHO it makes a world of difference in that your thumb rather naturally sits near the bottom and screens keep getting bigger. Less of a reach, you know? BB10 has that sort of right at least.
    Thats hardly an issue. Apples cards multitasking, is almost exactly like webOS. see? Very much like it.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Thats hardly an issue. Apples cards multitasking, is almost exactly like webOS. see? Very much like it.
    if the ipad could ever run ubuntu/emulators or just plain anything some of us actually want id actually consider using my ipad more, until then (which ofc is never) it will remain a tv/netflix box or games machine/toy just like my psvita/ps3/xbox etc

it has good hardware/specs/screen but for all the useful stuff like ubunu/linux/other stuff its all wasted as its not allowed to do it, imho a complete waste of a decent bit of kit.

i dont know about others but i prefer to carry around as fewer items as possible to do all the things i want not carry around a handful that each do a few things but none able to do them all. (touchpad still remains the prime device to do "lots" of stuff)
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges, Boovish (pun only marginally intended). ananimus's post is about how notifications display and are handled... Not the Cards metaphor for multitasking.

And he has a point. On today's larger screens especially, it just makes more sense for notifications to appear at the bottom of the screen where your thumb can easily reach them.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    boovish, Rnp, Remy X and 1 others like this.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I'm surprised it took this long after Palm's demise for things to happen.

They were ahead of their time in many ways, but have now been surpassed in most if not all of those ways. It's good that the patents aren't being used to stifle the innovation that's going on (or in some cases, the catching up with the dead horse...)
    My Treo 755P had notifications on the bottom. I don't remember if my 600 did.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    if the ipad could ever run ubuntu/emulators or just plain anything some of us actually want id actually consider using my ipad more, until then (which ofc is never) it will remain a tv/netflix box or games machine/toy just like my psvita/ps3/xbox etc

it has good hardware/specs/screen but for all the useful stuff like ubunu/linux/other stuff its all wasted as its not allowed to do it, imho a complete waste of a decent bit of kit.

i dont know about others but i prefer to carry around as fewer items as possible to do all the things i want not carry around a handful that each do a few things but none able to do them all. (touchpad still remains the prime device to do "lots" of stuff)
    But thats what the iPad was meant for. At least for consumers. It has a wide variety of games and such, also the hardware is excellent and samsung is bad.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    My Treo 755P had notifications on the bottom. I don't remember if my 600 did.
    I had a 755p and I am sure it did not have notifications at the bottom. Same for the newer centro and I suppose the treo pro.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/27/2013 at 10:17 AM.
    The thing hated about the 'shade' in android and ios is that it's not t toggle function. So pull down from the top, but the same action does not get rid of it, had to push up from the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    I'm surprised it took this long after Palm's demise for things to happen.
    I suppose they were taking the cautious approach, not knowing what exactly HP was going to do w/ the IP. It would be funny if LG all of a sudden opens up a can on the copycats though. What a scramble that would be.

It's good that the patents aren't being used to stifle the innovation that's going on (or in some cases, the catching up with the dead horse...)
    ??? Since when is copying and pasting innovation? Had Palm's IP been rigorously defended, Apple, BB, Google and Ms would then be forced to really innovate. That is when real value and differentiation would be brought to market. It is only then that technology would move forward and end users benefit.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Without that, and in the absence of visionaries, we're stuck w/ drab re-badged and repainted stuff. The Treo mentioned above is a perfect example: Palm stagnated in the absence of stiff competition and consumers were given the 650, 680 and 755 that did not change much from the original 600. That pattern could also be seen to a lesser extent w/ their PDAs in the previous years, and even though the Centro was a success, the writing was already on the wall.

Copying each other is not innovation and without innovation in this or any other space, companies will fold; there is no other way about it. If they all look and function alike then there's no need for so many players and the market will have the last say. We have been seeing signs of it too. HTC is having a heck of a time, Ms has an uphill battle (even if slightly differentiated) and BB narrowly made it off life support.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman
    The thing hated about the 'shade' in android and ios is that it's not t toggle function. So pull down from the top, but the same action does not get rid of it, had to push up from the bottom.
    It gets to me too even if its easier to close. I give them credit for keeping w/ the window shade metaphor though... if your shade is down, you wouldnt reach all the way to the top to get it up, would you?
    Last edited by p41m3r; 07/26/2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    [...]

It gets to me too even if its easier to close. I give them credit for keeping w/ the window shade metaphor though... if your shade is down, you wouldnt reach all the way to the top to get it up, would you?
    IMHO, the "windowshade" thing is just so... contrived.

Under webOS, the system menu is "tap to open, tap to close", or similarly, "swipe down" instead of tap. The Android windowshade on the other hand is a cross between a menu and a modal dialog, and yet it doesn't really behave like either. Tapping on the top bar causes the windowshade to flicker rather than unroll, forcing you to swipe, and swiping again does nothing to put it away, so you either have to precisely grip the handle to put it away, or just tap on the surrounding area (like in webOS)

To me personally, webOS, Maemo (and even iOS.. though i haven't used BB10) have the most coherent mode of interaction. But with all of the Duarte-era improvements, Android still falls short of the fluid, mindless interaction that defines a good product.

[...]
    ??? Since when is copying and pasting innovation? Had Palm's IP been rigorously defended, Apple, BB, Google and Ms would then be forced to really innovate. [...]
    I could imagine five years from now, HP would continue its freefall to shrink to the 1/10th of its current size, living out its days as a patent troll death star..
    Don't see how the shade is easier to close. If one's thunb happens to be at the bottom a simple tap on the screen outside of the pull down closes it, just like I expect it to. Webos so good to be so old
    Don't see how the shade is easier to close. If one's thunb happens to be at the bottom a simple tap on the screen outside of the pull down closes it, just like I expect it to.
    Thats what I meant. The thumb would be more in proximity to the opened shade than the unopened handle at the top.

I'll play around w/ it over the weekend if I get near an Android device.
    I had a 755p and I am sure it did not have notifications at the bottom. Same for the newer centro and I suppose the treo pro.
    I did. It was implemented differently but it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I did. It was implemented differently but it was there.
    Well its funny how we can forget how our old phones worked. I am thinking that treo series notifications when they came in disrupted whatever one was doing, and hold down a button to get something similar to a hub to see all notifications. Maybe someone with better memory than me can chime in
    Thats what I meant. The thumb would be more in proximity to the opened shade than the unopened handle at the top.

I'll play around w/ it over the weekend if I get near an Android device.
    Actually the way I use my phone my thumb stays at the top until I am done with what I pulled it down for and the drop down rarely takes up the whole screen like it does with the shade thing. But I suppose its annoying to me because I am used to the webos way. Also on a gs3 I did not see any way to tap outside of the shade to dismiss
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges, Boovish (pun only marginally intended). ananimus's post is about how notifications display and are handled... Not the Cards metaphor for multitasking.

And he has a point. On today's larger screens especially, it just makes more sense for notifications to appear at the bottom of the screen where your thumb can easily reach them.
    With Nova Launcher, there's a setting so you can pull down from anywhere above the quick launch bar, and pop open your notifications...a matter of pixels, no reaching required.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel