Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By njitipairote
  • 2 Post By broncot
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Hello fellow webos fans, this is my first post on the site. I am posting because I have a palm pre 3 prototype vor verizon and I'm not sure if that is special or not. I will go into more detail on that later. For now I am just wondering what all the commotion is about this "Update or Perish" from HP and how it will effect my phone. What exactly does the update provide that is good? I would just like to know because if its important I want to know how I can update. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

The strange things about my phone:
    There are numbers etched into the side
    It says prototype multiple times under the battery cover, and it has a sim card slot (which for a 3g verizon phone is unheard of)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben751 View Post
    Hello fellow webos fans, this is my first post on the site. I am posting because I have a palm pre 3 prototype vor verizon and I'm not sure if that is special or not. I will go into more detail on that later. For now I am just wondering what all the commotion is about this "Update or Perish" from HP and how it will effect my phone. What exactly does the update provide that is good? I would just like to know because if its important I want to know how I can update. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

It says prototype multiple times under the battery cover, and it has a sim card slot (which for a 3g verizon phone is unheard of)
    SIM cards are standard in Pre³s. Verizon's production Pre³s come with an international SIM installed (actually, a mini-SIM).

As for the update flap, that's all about HP's security certificate on its Synergy servers expiring at the end of the month. The update to the App Catalog app updates the security cert on webOS devices so that they can continue to connect to the HP servers. The instructions on updating can be found elsewhere in the forums, but the short story for a Pre³ is open your Software Manager app and accept the offered App Catalog update.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix

Any VZW Pre3 is special, let alone a prototype! Quite the catch!

You are likely referring to the Root Certificate Expiry. This special Certificate is set to expire around this time and unless it is renewed (which it is in this update), it will expire and the device will no longer be able to access HP's cloud services such as the store, backup, etc because the certificate is no longer valid. This update extends the expiry date far, far into the future and out of mind.

The update appears as an App Catalog update in the Software Manager, just update that and you will be good-to-go!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Those are just the prototype's ID.

Yup. Any Verizon or Sprint "International" phone has a GSM/UMTS radio in it. The SIM card is for that part. In this case, if you leave Verizon Wireless coverage, you can possibly roam on Vodafone's network (if your plan supports it -- Vodafone and Verizon both own stake in Verizon Wireless). I'm not sure if yours has it, but NIB VZW Pre3 phones have a Verizon/Vodafone SIM in there as well.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Can you post some pictures. I love rare unicorn beasts.
    Good news! I like webos prototype devices too. So do you "stcuk" on HP active account step ??? If yes.
    Need to use the other way to jump up it or flash the device with mete doctor or use "NDI" tool....
    Quote Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
    Can you post some pictures. I love rare unicorn beasts.
    I would be curious to see pics as well, this is the first prototype Pre3 I have heard of floating around. Other than maybe the white one pictured on the TS2 dock, but that white Pre3 never showed up anywhere but those pics.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I would be curious to see pics as well, this is the first prototype Pre3 I have heard of floating around. Other than maybe the white one pictured on the TS2 dock, but that white Pre3 never showed up anywhere but those pics.
    There were a few that apparently popped up on eBay.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    There were a few that apparently popped up on eBay.
    Wow I dunno how I missed that...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Here are some pics-the first is a prototype I was testing pre-launch while working at Verizon. The last 3 are an AT&T model I traded a Veer for to a forum member, it was sold to him as a Pre 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    xandros9 and dkirker like this.
    Just makes me more sad
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    SIM cards are standard in Pre³s. Verizon's production Pre³s come with an international SIM installed (actually, a mini-SIM).

As for the update flap, that's all about HP's security certificate on its Synergy servers expiring at the end of the month. The update to the App Catalog app updates the security cert on webOS devices so that they can continue to connect to the HP servers. The instructions on updating can be found elsewhere in the forums, but the short story for a Pre³ is open your Software Manager app and accept the offered App Catalog update.
    Well, shortly after I got the phone, I did a factory reset because the app catalouge wasn't booting. then I got to a screen that wouldn't let me get past unless I activated it with Verizon. So I used a code to put in some sort of developer mode and now it acts like normal. But I still can't get the app cataloug to appear. I haven't used a Palm Pre since I had the original on sprint a few years back. That is literally the whole story. Any Idea how I can get the app cataloug working? I didn't see a place to sign into to any ID or to make one so I am lost
    Try this. Devicetool for Mantaray (Pre 3). ..If can enter recovery mode while hold power+vol up.
    here:devicetool.jar_