Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

well, my FrankenPre2 seems to be working ok after pulling the comm board, then updating its network settings in the original Pre.

so i figured i should clean up the kitchen table which was still littered with the guts of the other two phones.

this time i reassembled them a little differently, putting all the bad parts into one and all the remaining decent parts into another. now i have two semi-functional zombies, but i'm not sure what to do with them so i'm looking for suggestions to these questions:

Zombie 1 has the cracked screen, so no touch input. it has the VZN Pre2 motherboard, Sprint branded slider and Pre- (orange key) keyboard, and a spare, inactive Sprint comm board.

when i power up, it boots completely, but into airplane mode. it looks like VZN 2.1.0 is on here, with the pink flowers background, and i see vzn's navigator icon. I typed "A" and pulled up the Accounts app, and i see it's functioning with a Dr. Skipped Firstuse dummy profile.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO CONTROL THE PHONE WITHOUT THE TOUCHSCREEN?
    i do have the Palm emulator, PDK, and SDK and a bunch of other crap on my laptop that i don't remember how/why i used it originally.

because i can't even select usb mode vs. charge only when i plug into the laptop. cracked screen prevents it.

Zombie 2
    pauses bootup at blue sky with statement says there's an error that cannot be resolved.
    This phone has the original Pre- screen and motherboard w/ 1.4.5, (because i just used it to do the Sprint network update) but NOW it has the inactive VZN comm board. It also has the VZN slider because i broke the 'up' volume button inside the ribbon on the original's. and i need a functional up volume if i'm going to run a doctor on it again....

...which i just might. I am about ready to run the 1.4.5 doctor and do a skip first activation, possibly making it a 1.4.5 mini-touchpad. Still not sure if i'll use the Sprint version or the VZN version, or if it even matters since it will be wifi only.

But before i do that, i was wondering IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET INTO THE USB DRIVE and see what i'm about to wipe out? OR, TO BYPASS THE ACTIVATION SCRIPT THAT IT'S HANGING UP ON, and get it to finish booting without doctoring it?

Right now, when i plug it into the laptop, it's not even recognized. (which is ok, i have a slew of backups from right before every time i took the T-5 to 'em, so i haven't really lost anything)

OF COURSE, THIS IS JUST FOR FUN, trying to learn more about the phones and how to navigate around them; seeing if i can get inside them with their gruesome, distorted configurations and make them do my bidding. bwahaha! of course it's no big deal compared to working on my daily driver, trying to get it to function. that's frustrating. it's fun playing with the spare parts to see what happens when i pair x with y, add in a little z...

so far i DID learn that you can't just plug in a BARE motherboard to your laptop and see inside the usb folders. i tried it, but nothing happened.

anyone have suggestions for poking at these zombies, maybe get one to wake up a little?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/08/2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Opt+sym+U = USB mode
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Opt+sym+U = USB mode
    oh man, that is awesome. i wonder how many other shortcut commands are out there, either sym+orange or ##numbers

has anyone compiled a list of commands yet?

AND, i think i found my answer to the 2nd question, here:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation

and i think i've already got that tool downloaded. i'd like to get into the device as is, without wiping anything.

a lot of this is learning which information listed in the software is following which hardware. like the MSL follows the motherboard or the comm board. or the MEID does the opposite.

update: the MEID and the MSL follow the comm board

learning about this phone is one of the few things i actually like spending time doing.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/08/2013 at 08:34 PM.
  4.    #4  
    ok so i just spent 3 hrs tinkering with the two leftover parts phones. here's what i learned:

zombie 1, with non-functional cracked screen, stuck in airplane mode, running 2.2.4, i was able to convert to an mp3 player!

if i type the word music, i can start the player, using the sym-opt-U trick Matt shared above, i pushed about 100 songs on it. and using the auto-start shuffle patch, it will start playing on its own. the spacebar allows pause/play, i didn't find a skip forward button. of course, it's going to play thru the back speaker or wired headphones only; i can't activate BT. oh, and there's no way to turn it off short of pulling the batt.

zombie 2 however, was less willing to play with me. i tried the bypass activation, enable first use technique (link above), but it also wouldn't let me create or log into a profile. it got stuck at the same screen, that there's an unresolvable error.

SO I put Impostah on there to see what's up. it also wouldn't let me log in or create. i got a PAMS error of 3013, invalid device or something. i already forgot. but it became irrelevant when it failed a BT test. this phone won't maintain a BT connection unless i'm holding the phone within arm's length of the headset. so there's definitely something wrong with the BT transceiver in the original Pre- board or body. (i'll have to search an' see if anyone's identified its location yet)

so since the BT on that is defective, there's no point in me trying to force it to reach a palm profile, or try a reset which may scramble any Sprint settings, should i need to do another update to the comm board that is in my FrankenPre2. And the Franken's BT connection is solid, even when i walk out of the living room to the bathroom. it does browse over wifi, but wouldn't log into the app cat. without a profile, it's without an identity; a true zombie device. ha!

so nothing lost, not much gained either. but i sure do like these little phones. wish i knew more about them; and yet it's almost like a pet that's on into old age. you know eventually you'll have to put it down.
    Always nice to play around with these I think you MIGHT be able to enable and disable BT via command line with WOSQI but not 100% sure about that...
    luna send? I'm 99% sure it's possible, unless bluetooth is com.pam-only...

Otherwise, we could just patch the bluetooth app to toggle bt status based on spacebar presses...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Always nice to play around with these I think you MIGHT be able to enable and disable BT via command line with WOSQI but not 100% sure about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    luna send? I'm 99% sure it's possible, unless bluetooth is com.pam-only...

Otherwise, we could just patch the bluetooth app to toggle bt status based on spacebar presses...
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.btmonitor/monitor/radioon '{"visible":true, "connectable":true}'

More things:
    Luna Send - WebOS Internals
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.btmonitor/monitor/radioon '{"visible":true, "connectable":true}'

More things:
    Luna Send - WebOS Internals
    aw man! John you're talking language I don't know very well.

I'll read that link on Luna send and see if I can figure it out. too bad this thing doesn't have OBD-II like a car you can plug in and read real-time. I still don't even know what .json and .tar files can do for me. i need remedial webOS class for dummies!

THANX FOR CHIMIN' IN GUYS!
    Luna send is, but neither json nor tar files are unique to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    aw man! John you're talking language I don't know very well.

I'll read that link on Luna send and see if I can figure it out. too bad this thing doesn't have OBD-II like a car you can plug in and read real-time. I still don't even know what .json and .tar files can do for me. i need remedial webOS class for dummies!

THANX FOR CHIMIN' IN GUYS!
    I am always willing to help...

There is a log file under /var/log depending on the debug settings you set you can make an app fill the log, or you can make it very quiet... (go into phone dial and type ##logs# or ##5647#, you can Change Logging Levels, Set Log Levels then select the App and select the type ERROR, WARNING, INFO)...

INFO will tell you everything about an app, during it's life... fills logs....

Anyway, you can always see what is happening if you want real time there is an app in PreWare called Lumberjack that can be used.

webOS is based on Linux and GNU, so as long as someone studies Linux and GNU (Gnu is Not Unix), they will understand the base... Then you have webkit, LunaSysMgr, which allow Mojo, Enyo, C/C++ (PDK), and services native C/C++ (not supported by HP/Palm) and Node.JSJSJS...

So much to learn, so much to do... and was way ahead of it's time...

Still waiting for a tablet that I can MAP with and answer a phone calls with... so easy just with Bluetooth... Not in IOS not in Android, not in Brew, not in, not in, not in Windows, not in, not in... Only with Touchpad and Pre3/Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4/webOS 2.1.0 with webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth modules)/PrePlus (webOS 2.1.0 with webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth Modules)/Veer (webOS 2.2.4/webOS 2.1.x with webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth modules)..
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    So much to learn, so much to do... and was way ahead of it's time...
    THAT'S THE TRUTH STATEMENT OF THE DAY RIGHT THERE.

thanks again, John. I'm really glad this comment is in a thread I initiated so it will be easy for me to find it later.

i want to - HAVE to - learn more about how this phone works, as we all must become more self-reliant in the post-Palm world of webOS.