Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 3 Post By jccjmml7
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    ...so i was out wed. nite celebrating Independence Day Eve, and i hear this guy down the bar a few seats, say "...HP phone"

    my ears were processing faster than my brain apparently, but i looked down there and he's got, hey he's got a little Veer!

    so of course i went over and we talked about phones for a few mins. wow that thing really is a tiny little device, and a remarkable achievement IMHO that a complete webOS smartphone is crammed into that little package.

    anyway, he'd never heard of webosnation, so i texted him the URL so he'd have it stored and could click on it to give this place a browse.

    i wonder how many people are still using webOS phones, simply because they happened to buy it, but never became aware of this site and how much useful info is here.

    just like me (and many of us), he was absolutely raving about how much he liked using the phone. hopefully he'll find his way here and discover some of the tricks (like Preware!) that bring out the best in these devices. i think he's the first person i've ever randomly met that was using a webOS device.
  2. #2  
    good find, i also wonder how many had issues with a webOS phone, who didnt know about this site and ended up moving on because of it.

    shame really when you think it could be a high figure.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    good find, i also wonder how many had issues with a webOS phone, who didnt know about this site and ended up moving on because of it.

    shame really when you think it could be a high figure.
    Even more of a shame when you think how many will just give up on webOS after July 23, 2013 when their phones stop working properly due to an expired Root Certificate and they never even know why or how to fix it...


    Anyone who sees a webOS user out in the wild should warn them about the Root Certificate issue.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    jccjmml7 likes this.
  4. #4  
    I never see them out in the wild anymore. If I do, I will be sure to mention the certificate problem.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Even more of a shame when you think how many will just give up on webOS after July 23, 2013 when their phones stop working properly due to an expired Root Certificate and they never even know why or how to fix it...


    Anyone who sees a webOS user out in the wild should warn them about the Root Certificate issue.
    I've been with web os since the first pre, but what is it that web os users can do to keep your phone working after the root certificate expires. Because I still use my pre 3 on att?
  6. #6  
    You just need to download and run the app catalog update from the app catalog. It will fix your root certificate and backups will continue to function as normal
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zfomby View Post
    I've been with web os since the first pre, but what is it that web os users can do to keep your phone working after the root certificate expires. Because I still use my pre 3 on att?
    This certificate thing is kind of weird, in that yes, there is an "app" in the App Cat that will install on your phone like an app, not like an update. It places an icon on your desktop like an app too.

    However; I found this out only after reading the thread yesterday describing it, and I went in the Cat to look for it.

    I ran it, and it did it's thing; but APPARENTLY I HAD ALREADY RECEIVED AN OTA UPDATE TO THE APP CAT, LIKE A MONTH AGO.

    My app cat version number was already current. And my TPad, which i did not seek out the Updating APP, was also current, so it must also have updated in a typical update fashion.


    SO - it appears we're receiving the certificate update OTA AS WELL as having a download option. HOPEFULLY there will be remarkably few to zero webOS phones that are affected adversely on the day after my birthday. (which was my i got my first Pre as a birthday present! memmmorieeeeeezz )
  8. #8  
    In the hey day of webos I ran across two different pre users and I told them about this site and the information here. Both told me their pre was just a phone and didn't really care about all the tech stuff (in so many words). It is my guess 90% of webos users felt the same way. We are rare

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  9. #9  
    love my Veer
    got a backup, just in case
    I now baby it
    (need to write a macro to forward phone calls to my beater S3)
  10. #10  
    @TJ,

    The 1.4 phones like Pre+ will not get the automatic update, while 2.x and up have most likely already updated themselves, though in the event of a glitch, it still has to be done manually
  11. #11  
    Nice thread :

    I happened to see a Pre 2 very recently at a taco bar across the street from my work.

    I was with my wife eating lunch and I see this old, hunched over guy with the phone (slider open). The phone was about a half-inch from his nose and he was looking "up" at the screen through the top of his glasses. About 3 seconds later he snaps it closed and commences eating. When he did, his face was almost laying in his plate of food he was so close to it.

    It was an extremely strange feeling seeing something SO familiar in the hands of this dude.
    He was quite odd.

    WebOS users can't all be cool, I guess!
    Now that I think about it......I'm really not cool either.

    But he had good taste in a mobile OS, even if he didn't even know what he had.
    Remy X, xandros9 and TJs11thPre like this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    ...he had good taste in a mobile OS, even if he didn't even know what he had.
    I wouldnt be surprised if he did in fact know what he was working with. For all you know, he's an old Palm diehard with almost 20 years of experience and mobile gadgets in his belt. For all you know, he frequents, and is active in this very forum. Since you didnt introduce yourself, that may remain a mystery.

    Wouldnt it be funny if that geezer turned out to be one of us?

    Hmm!!

    < mind wondering: who would best fit the above description... John S? GeekP? Mutoidi? Grabber? RumoredNow? the real Kessler? a heavily disguised Leo? >
  13. #13  
    =p41m3r;3396353
    Wouldnt it be funny if that geezer turned out to be one of us?

    Hmm!!

    < mind wondering: who would best fit the above description... John S? GeekP? Mutoidi? Grabber? RumoredNow? the real Kessler? a heavily disguised Leo? >
    I thought about that as well
    If it does happen to be one of our own, please don't get so close to your plate when you eat!
  14. #14  
    I can assure you I'm very cool. Well, in my mind anyway. It wasn't me, though I occasionally look over the top of my glasses at it - time for a new prescription!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    jccjmml7 likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @TJ,

    The 1.4 phones like Pre+ will not get the automatic update, while 2.x and up have most likely already updated themselves, though in the event of a glitch, it still has to be done manually
    i got an email from HP today. what a surprise.

    it was an instructional statement about the app catalog update. it was signed from the "WebOS Team".

    team?? who are these people? why aren't they here telling us what's going on over there?? is there someone here already? c'mon, leak some info!

    lol i'm just kidding about that; don't want anyone getting fired for spilling confidential info.

    but it seems foolish for anything to be kept confidential from us, this small cult of people insisting on maintaining use of what is an HP product. a little VIP treatment for not moving to Apple/Android/Windows would be nice.

    but anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see HP take some action to ensure webOS certs will be updated and users are being supported, albeit on minimum life support only.
  16. #16  
    Yup, HP kept the Synergy/cloud services team when they sold webOS.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if he did in fact know what he was working with. For all you know, he's an old Palm diehard with almost 20 years of experience and mobile gadgets in his belt. For all you know, he frequents, and is active in this very forum. Since you didnt introduce yourself, that may remain a mystery.

    Wouldnt it be funny if that geezer turned out to be one of us?

    Hmm!!

    < mind wondering: who would best fit the above description... John S? GeekP? Mutoidi? Grabber? RumoredNow? the real Kessler? a heavily disguised Leo? >
    this wasn't near Atlanta was it?? nah couldn't be me, i'm farsighted. i'd have to hold it at arm's length to read anything. lol

    my first impression of a story like that, is there's a person who might not be taking advantage of today's mobile technology, had he not bought the most user-friendly mobile OS i've ever used.

    there's a lot of stuff that old age has diminished my desire to learn, because i just don't care. i don't twit, or tumble, mobile gaming, facebook, or much of what younger power users are into.

    but that's why i'm so glad i have webOS. it's not simple, yet it's so easy.

Similar Threads

  1. PRE CENTRAL member or TREO member?
    By rigo0523 in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04/20/2011, 12:35 AM
  2. New member just saying Hello
    By bacon225 in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03/29/2009, 08:39 AM
  3. New Member!!
    By jjhirsch in forum North American Carriers (CDMA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12/23/2003, 12:48 AM

Posting Permissions