Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    I asked this question over a year ago, and never got a single response. I can't believe that I'm the only webOS user who'd want to be able to do this, so lets try again:

I'm trying to run the tests on Pingtest.net on my TouchPad, but the "lost packets" test fails. According to the site, the most likely reason is that network port 8080 isn't open (which would square with my experience in getting Pingtest to run on my Windows 7 box).

So how do I open a network port in webOS 3.0.5? Or 2.2.4, for that matter?

I gotta believe that some smart dev out there knows the answer...

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Firewall API was added for webOS in 3.0.2 or 3.0.4:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../firewall.html

otherwise, you can probably do it the same way one would do it in Linux (ipchains/iptables, use the Google)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I'm not really sure but I would expect you would have to use novaterm root access and install an optware package for network management or perhaps the commands for port stuff is already installed and can be used from the shell. I have found that "netstat" is not installed and if I try to "ping" from the terminal on the TouchPad it returns and error and asks if I have root access. There are a lot more optware packages than what's available in Preware.

Index of /feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/

Ok, so I just went to pingtest.net and the packet loss test fails for me as well. But I suspect even though WebOS has support for javascript I don't believe it has a Java Virtual Machine which might be needed to run the packet test. (JVM was in 1.4.5 and lower, but removed from 2.0.1 and higher)

How to keep the Palm Java JVM OasisVM (JRE) with webOS 2.0 and above - WebOS Internals

I could be way off base on this one.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    @namgod,

Wasn't Prima pretty useless, and not a "real" Java distribution? I don't think there's much support for running external applets...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @namgod,

Wasn't Prima pretty useless, and not a "real" Java distribution? I don't think there's much support for running external applets...
    Yeah, just read up on it. I'm way off base.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
  6.    #6  
    @namgod,

So am I understanding correctly that, even if port 8080 were open, the lack of a JRE would prevent the lost packets test from working?

Unlike y'all, I'm not a dev and have never used Linux, so I'm paddling pretty hard trying to keep up with your conversation.

Thanks to everyone for giving me some of your time on this.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    @bethel,

The Firewall API that eblade linked to is able to open the port for you... i just don't know what app/purpose you need this for. Once we know, we should be able to patch the app to "subscribe" to port 8080 while it's running..

Java or lack thereof is a secondary issue IMHO, since it's possible to test for packet loss in other ways
  8.    #8  
    @bethel,

The Firewall API that eblade linked to is able to open the port for you... i just don't know what app/purpose you need this for. Once we know, we should be able to patch the app to "subscribe" to port 8080 while it's running..

Java or lack thereof is a secondary issue IMHO, since it's possible to test for packet loss in other ways
    I wanted to be able to use Pingtest.net to test my TP's WiFi connection's internet performance (it's a more rigorous test than Speedtest.net). The packet-loss test requires that port 8080 be open. That's all that my question is about--there's no webOS app involved except the browser (in my case, Advanced Browser).

As for the Java issue, I believe it's true that the packet-loss test is a Java app--I recall when I was diagnosing internet connection issues on my desktop PC last year I had to install the Firefox Java plugin to get the Pingtest.net packet-loss test to work.

Obviously, if there's a simpler way to test both packet-loss and connection jitter on my TP than using Pingtest.net, then maybe all this is moot.

Alright. I guess we'll just have to find either a Flash-based or Linux command line alternative...