Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    apparently I am just too stupid to keep a webOS phone.

trying to fix my horrible reception issues, I tried redoctoring back to 2.1.0, didn't help. Replaced by headset, didn't help.

so tonite I tried putting my spare sprint comm board into original pre- body, thinking I could activate and swap into Franken pre2.

nope. Wouldn't activate.
    so I tried restarting my phone. No longer on network.
    so I swapped comm boards oppositely, neither phone works.

now I got nothing. I am bout to drive across town to borrow some internet so I can read how to undo what I just did.

why can't this stuff be easier by now? I'm one of the last stubborn people who won't give up webOS and yet i am constantly having the same problems over n over. Its like the phone wants me to replace it.

I just want a pre2 on sprint that streams Pandora to my bt headset. That's it!

I guess I'm going to try to rebuild the original pre- and get it activated again so I have a phone at all.. I wish I knew what I was doing.
    Hey...I wonder if your Pre2 with its stock commboard and a clean install will have the same BT issues while playing a local file... If it does that regardless, time for a new one.

In any case, you have my sympathy... it sounds like there's some hardware issues at this point, so it may be a bumpy ride even if you do everything right...
    I would just start over with used pre- and new pre2 and keep the what you have now now for parts. You can always pay someone $35 or so to do frakenpre for you if you tired of tinkering.

No way you should have all those issues
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I would just start over with used pre- and new pre2 and keep the what you have now now for parts. You can always pay someone $35 or so to do frakenpre for you if you tired of tinkering.

No way you should have all those issues
    I second that.

I guess some phones are just "lemons" (some don't "sleep" properly, others have premature gpu failure, and so on), some wear out (due to heat from touchstone charging with the slider closed + high CPU load), and the FrankenPre process exposes those flaws to a greater extent than normal use.

An an example of that would be dignitary's FrankenPre, which IIRC had a lot of dropped calls and random reboots (or some stuff that didn't work until the phone was rebooted??), required constant re-doctoring. I don't remember which thread it was where he mentioned it, but from what he said, after about two months he decided it was more trouble than it was worth. So you're far from alone..

Good luck with whatever you do now...
    My first FrankenPre2 would frequently Luna restart for no apparent reason. It still does it reassembled in its original state with a fresh doctor.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Remy X likes this.
    Yup...

Some phones just have irreparable hardware issues out of the box (or develop them later)...

I remember helping imfallen_angel with a brand new(!!!) Pre2 that had the screen coming on every 30 seconds... after thinking it over for a few hours (or was it two days?) i suggested Nodoze, which made the phone usable again...
  7.    #7  
    well i've been fighting with this phone all night, and i've gotten nowhere.

i was trying to activate the other sprint comm board i have, one that came with my first Vzn Pre2 that was already 'franken'd'.

i bought it before knowing better, that you can't buy a phone that's already frank'd, because it has to be an active comm board on your own account. so i got duped there.

well apparently you can't just shove in another comm board and activate it either. i was on the phone with sprint several times (because i dont have another phone to talk to them on) and i got them to update the hex ID to the newer comm board, which matches the MSL i had for it, but now my MSID is not right. that's the number your account is before you rename it when you port your phone number.

so now my account has the hex MEID from the other sprint board, but it also has that other board's original MSID. so i cant sign in still.

so i can try to call back and have them change the msid to mine, or i can put my comm board back in, and have them change the hex MEID back to original. which is the comm board i suspect is failing and causing my issues so i dont want to do that but i may not have a choice.

i wish i knew what to do. my friends are telling me to get a new phone. i just want this one to work!

the mosquitos are eatin me as i'm sitting outside the apt. 'biz center' using the free wifi. i guess i'll go to bed now.
  8.    #8  
    update:

i think i have the franken revived. there's definitely something wrong with the BT in the minus, as neither comm board prevented it from losing headset connection over a meter away. walk back and it'd reconnect. so it's either on the chassis, or the wires that run up the side of the bezel. and oh yeah, lego blocks instead of flash. now i remember why i needed 2.x so commboard swap once again, active board into the pre2.

so i just re-meta-dr'd and it looks like i have connectivity for each various connection. i'm going t*o test the Pandora streaming to BT in a moment driving across town. hopefully the network update and prl update i was able to run while it back in its origin Pre-.

this is the umpteenth time i've tried to do something to improve service, almost sunk the titanic, and then scrambled to revive it back to right about where it was before i started. i'm really hopin this network update helps.

wwell I got my pre-working again w it's original board.

I had to get sprint to change the hex meid back toits original. What's weird is now my msid is thenewnumber, not the oneoriginallyassisned to me.

so in hindsight it's possible I had the other comm board active and didn't realize it. But now it's too late, I'm back on the original.

so I can either leave this phone as is and test drive it's BT and Pandora performance, or ican swap to the Franken and get back on my Pre2.

I may as well do some testing for the day. Although I can see already this keybd's spacebar is weak.

so although I didn't achieve a commboard swap testiwas hopeiin for, I have at least updated the network and PRL on this board. PRL now shows 60797.

it's really weirdthis phone is making and recving calls w this new msid. whatever
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/03/2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: updated
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'd be interested to know if you can ever get the BT to stream reasonably well. Let us know your results...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    I'd be interested to know if you can ever get the BT to stream reasonably well. Let us know your results...
    I had a similar problem with WiFi only working a foot or so after replacement of a bad slider ribbon cable. I'm not sure if Bluetooth and WiFi share an antenna but when I reassembled my Pre+ I failed to properly seat the top of the main board. I think there's a tab that makes the antenna connection.

Picture from rwhitby teardown, used without permission for the good of all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by namgod; 07/04/2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Remy X likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    hoping i'm not jinxing myself, but so far i haven't had to bump or close/restart Pandora yet.

I haven't giving it my most thorough test yet, using it for several hours straight on the motorcycle. if the rain ever stops, i'll do that.

but so far, other than last night having a "too many cards" without any cards open, the phone is running ok after reinstalling the updated comm board and rerunning the sprint meta dr.
  12.    #12  
    i'm a mess. the continuation to this thread, is i bought a 2nd Pre2 just in case something went wrong with this one that is working pretty well since I did the network update to the comm board, and bought a new BT headset.

I identified BT issues with the other Phone, in that it would drop pairing if I walked more than 4' from it. The issue stayed with the Pre- chassis even though I moved the comm board. It could be either the mother, or the bezel with antenna wires up the side. Regardless, somehow I have a decent BT connection at the moment, as I can again walk into another room and maintain connection.

And after the network update, i feel (but can't confirm) that it's communicating better with Sprint. I see the EV icon light up and maintain, much more frequently than before. I also am pretty sure that for the past few days i had a significant reduction in the times i had to pause/start or close/reopen the Pandora app. So maybe eliminated some loss of connection from an aging headset and maybe some better network connectivity with the update and PRL change from 60690 to 60797.

but of course that means i have to screw something up. AGAIN.

The replacement Pre2 needed its app catalog update before July 23. I realized today that anyone holding an inactive backup device is going to have to deal with this as well.
    So i put the comm board into it and did the update, then used it figuring why not just stay in that phone, they're all updated now. Well, the Pandora service stopped playing (doesn't go into pause, just stops playing and circle of eternel rotation appears) at least 6 times today! So heck no, i'm moving back to the phone that was working well and i'll save the backup for a day i hope never comes!

well i thought i could just put the comm board back into the Pre2 it was working well in, and it would work well again. Soo, It does, but with a glitch, that i suspect is because i didn't run the meta doctor again

the phone is working, but doesn't say Sprint. It's making the phone act weird. So I just posted a new thread with HELP in the title so if anyone was up they could maybe chime in right away. i apologize for a sorta double thread post, but i wanted to wave the help flag clearly, rather than at the end of one of my rant threads that the resident experts may not notice.

and so, this post is me trying to be patient and give anyone a chance to offer some advice. Meanwhile, i rebuilt the franken verizon meta doctor (because the last build was for the new Pre2 which is GSM unlocked) and it's waiting for me to plug in and start from scratch. i am pretty sure i have to undo preware patches then apps first, then run the meta and start all over again.

nothing can be easy, and if there's a wrong way to go, i'll stumble upon it. argh.

i'm also posting now because i've never liked reading thru a thread in my search results that had a cliffhanger ending because no one came back after fixing their issue. i hope maybe i'm helping searchers in the future.

if there's no easy answer in the thread, i'll just run the dr and reinstall my apps. . here i go i think i just waited an hour. (it's probably 10 mins)
    Remy X likes this.
  13.    #13  
    the latest:

neither of my Pre2's is functioning correctly with BT and Pandora now. They both exhibit the same issues I've had ongoing: not advancing to the next song, just spiraling circle forever, until i force it to advance; or not advancing and just doing nothing, song timer at 0:00, again until I force it to advance.

So i dont know how i got it to work so nicely for the few days that it was, but i'm going to attempt to restart from scratch yet again.

remove all patches, remove all preware apps, erase apps and data, turn off backup, put comm board back into 1.4.5 Pre, redoctor so it will activate, update network settings and PRL on Sprint, put board back into one of the Pre2's, run the meta-doctor, reconnect to my palm profile, reinstall the software, and hope for the best.

i'm tiring of this. but i'm more tired of friends hassling me to get a new phone because they can't reach me all day while my phone is in surgery. but i must have webOS! i'm afflicted.
  14.    #14  
    and later still:

now i am trying to reinitialize my comm board in the original sprint pre-.

however,

sprint pre- has been taken apart more times than it wanted, and the dimple on top of the volume UP ribbon has fallen off, exposing a metal dot in a metal circle. no more dimple clicky action.

HOW DO I RUN A WEBOS DOCTOR WITHOUT A VOLUME UP BUTTON???

argh. i'm going to google search, but man this is becoming a pain in the ****. particularly when my family plan buddies keep tellin me to get a new phone. patiencessssssssssssssssssssss..
  15.    #15  
    seems there's no way to recover without the volume up key, except the "emergency" instructions on webos internals that talk about tokens and stuff waaay over my head.

so i'll have to tear down the other phone so i can use it's volume ribbon to build a 1.4.5 phone, then connect with sprint, then tear it all down and put it back in the other phone and run the meta.

yay!
  16.    #16  
    well my phone is still being a thorn in my side.

after doing what i described above, i didn't take the extra step to block the OTA updater.

So the dang thing installed 2.2.4 somehow right under my nose! i may have unknowingly allowed it, but i don't remember agreeing to install it.

so now the phone is still acting the fool, making me think i need to wipe it again, and install the 2.2.4 meta-doctor instead of leavin it as is. there's weirdness of partial install all around, as in, it deleted my self-installed Sprint Nav ipk, but left almost everything Preware related alone. It reinstalled the mobile hotspot icon even though i have the freetether app installed.

the freetether has been discovered as an available wifi connection on my laptop, even with the freetether app closed, AND even with the phone in airplane mode. that really made my eyes pop. i had to pull the battery before the phone's wifi SSID would disappear from the list.

so too much weirdness, and still same old crappy issues with function via BT and using Pandora.

if this next doctoring doesn't improve something, anything, just a little - i may have to try activating a different Sprint comm board. which i'm not sure Sprint will be cooperative about.

but i'm still using webOS and that's what matters! i've had access to a Nexus 7 for a while, trying out Jellybean. i freakin hate it. i want to slap whoever designed this OS. it's like going back to paper road maps after using GPS for a decade. trying to do anything with it is so frustrating, and i really tried keeping an open mind about it. argh.

oh well. hope everyone is doing ok.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    i want to slap whoever designed this OS. it's like going back to paper road maps after using GPS for a decade. trying to do anything with it is so frustrating, and i really tried keeping an open mind about it. argh.
    The guy who designed the current iteration of Android is the exact same person who designed webOS' user experience from the ground up: Matias Duarte. He left Palm for Google just prior to HP taking over webOS, so he's the one you want to, ironically perhaps, slap. The guy that created the card metaphor, the wave launcher, the emphasis in smooth multitasking, and everything else you love about the webOS experience--that's the same guy you're complaining about who's now defining the user experience on Android. For several years now.

And the guy behind the iOS 5/6/7 notification systems for iOS? Yeah, he came from the webOS team too, and since then the notification center has made astounding improvements whether people here recognize that or not. It's plain as day compared to what iOS had prior, and definitely comparable to webOS' quality IMO.

It takes time and real research to get to the bottom of user experience issues, and it would seem that neither Android nor iOS are having problems filling the seats nor getting customers with many of the people who were once the core webOS team directing them. What you love about webOS isn't necessarily what people want in the exact same form; tastes and interaction patterns change over time, and these people who built the foundational experience of webOS back in the day are simply extending and evolving those interactions to fulfill the needs of the people happily buying the devices because of the experiences they provide them.

This is why I have to snicker when people bash Android and iOS around here; they're taking a hammer to the kneecaps of the very same people many here consider near-mythical because of what they did for webOS. Go ahead and make quips that they obviously became stupid when they moved on or whathaveyou, but that's just not how the world--nor intellect, nor experiential talent--works.

I don't quite understand, either, the outright dismissal of an entire OS' experience rather than making a qualitative assessment of what actually works versus what doesn't for them. There had to have been some points you liked amongst those you didn't, considering there are plenty of analogues Mathias has been introducing into Android that are directly taken from webOS; to bash the entirety of Android would be to literally bash the user experience of webOS in many ways at this point.
    Dignitary, fully agree with your points but still there's a long way to go before Android multi tasking is up to webOS level. It's no where near as intuitive as webOS is and a lot of other things are very unlogical for me in Android as well. I'm sure Matias is trying hard @ Android but they're simply not there (yet). Everytime after I use Android for something I'm happy to be back in webOS where things are logical and easy to find....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Remy X and laingman like this.
    I think it all comes down to the fact that with webOS, Duarte had a clean slate, nothing to interfere, whereas with Android he is stuck with incrementally improving a piece of crap that was inherited from someone else.

He can neither start from scratch nor directly copy his best work. So IMHO, both points valid.

And having gotten myself a Nexus 7 for future OwOS work, i have to agree with TJ.. there's just no enjoyment in using it, despite the fairly nice hardware.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    The guy who designed the current iteration of Android is the exact same person who designed webOS' user experience from the ground up: Matias Duarte. He left Palm for Google just prior to HP taking over webOS, so he's the one you want to, ironically perhaps, slap. The guy that created the card metaphor, the wave launcher, the emphasis in smooth multitasking, and everything else you love about the webOS experience--that's the same guy you're complaining about who's now defining the user experience on Android. For several years now.

This is why I have to snicker when people bash Android and iOS around here; they're taking a hammer to the kneecaps of the very same people many here consider near-mythical because of what they did for webOS. Go ahead and make quips that they obviously became stupid when they moved on or whathaveyou, but that's just not how the world--nor intellect, nor experiential talent--works.

I don't quite understand...to bash the entirety of Android would be to literally bash the user experience of webOS in many ways at this point.
    even condensed, that's a pretty wordy snicker.

and if i'm interpreting your snicker correctly, it sounds like you're implying that the Android "user experience" is comparable to the webOS "user experience", so you don't understand why myself or anyone else would "complain"????

really?? you're suggesting that navigating Android is as simple and fluid as webOS? and why - because some guy worked for both companies? - developing "from the ground up"? - like all by himself?? well that sounds kinda magical. Is that like, Jeannie-magic with arms crossed and a head-nod; or Samantha-magic with the nose twitch? or am i way off-base and it's more like a Santa's elves kinda thing?

ok, just making sure everyone gets their chance for snickering.

i don't know why your posts are so often contrary to the majority of opinions I read at this forum. You sound like a guy insisting on cheering Ford at a Chevy Forum.

Are you familiar with the Pontiac GTO? It's one of the most popular and valuable muscle cars ever produced. Its success is primarily credited to John DeLorean. Did he design, it, build it, etc? heck no. But he was in the right position to get the credit for "developing" it. And even if he HAD done all the work solely himself, well 20 years later when he developed his own car with his own name on it -- do you remember what a great car that was? Gull-wing doors, a Renault engine, and any color you want as long as it's no color at all??? Yeah, he went on to produce greatness! NO wonder they used it to make a time machine!

anyone here who's used webOS long enough to still be on this site, IS WELL AWARE of the difference in ease of use over Android. it's why we're here!

and the end result of that difference is that webOS features form a foundation which the user can rely upon and/or fall back to. That's why users so often describe it as "comfortable" or "intuitive". That's what makes the phone "smart"; i.e. smarter than US, making us feel smarter by using it.

IF Mr. Duarte was having such a great impact on making Android more like webOS, for starters there wouldn't be an icon for email separate from the icon for gmail. The 'upswipe' gesture from the bottom of the tablet would be what CLOSES an open app, NOT what opens a google search window. And as far as i can tell, there is no gesture to close an open app. you have to first tap the right hand button to go to the list of open apps (yes the list of apps you didn't realize were still open), scroll to the one you want, then swipe it to the right. Reassigning all the gestures WE know as other functions isn't really "bringing the webOS experience".

MY experience so far with Android on this Nexus 7, is that it seems to have a myriad of ways to do the same thing, and it's quite ambiguous what does what. So users have to select and configure which way you're going to access things. No wonder I couldn't tell how to do things from one friend's phone to another.

Currently this thing has pages of "widgets"; i don't even know what they're for yet. They all seem redundant so i haven't bothered with them. Then there's the inconsistency among apps. the gestures are inconsistent, the controls available are inconsistent. All of which makes the new user's mind conjure questions of How do I this; how do I that? The device is not making me think it's "smart"; in fact it's making me feel stupider.

I get it.
    you're the guy that likes to be "the devil's advocate", or the "troll" or whatever they call it online now. OK; so you don't like people voicing their preference for webOS.

And i heard your POV the last time you bothered to respond to one of my posts. But your message isn't making any sense - not to me anyway; because reality is that if what i was describing WASN'T true, this site wouldn't still have so many participants, let alone new ones, daily.

I'm not continuing to use webOS just to be part of some cult. I use it because i like it, and I like it for a reason; it's not just a personal preference. It's the same reason everyone here likes it: it's actually well-designed. So when Duarte (or whomever) improves Android enough that someone can start using it and a few days later describe it as "comfortable" and "intuitive", (not "frustrating" and "confusing") THEN you may have something worth speaking up to retort with a "snicker".
    Remy X likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast