Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    When asked about a chances of a future HP smartphone, she said: "The answer is yes but I cannot give a timetable. It would be silly if we say no. HP has to be in the game."

HP exec says company will re-enter smartphone market, is working on a device with a unique experience
    alonhzn likes this.
    Fat chance I'll wait around for an HP phone again... Like Meg says, they are late to the game, they have to release One/S4 grade phone to attract buyers.
    If HP do release a new smartphone, I believe it will be an Android phone with WebOS features deeply embedded. HP will follow the Amazon model(Kindle Fire). Also it will not be named WebOS; to the general public WebOS was a failed OS.
    Android.

HP is Android now.

They leave their own kid in the gutter and adopt another one, because for small minds it's easier to follow, than to go in front.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Yes, HP will go Android. It doesn't matter at this point though - they are dead in the mobile market... as they should be.

Just think where they would be at this point if they hadn't let a moron run the company for a few months. By this point HP would be solidly in 3rd place - strongly ahead of Windows Phone 8. webOS would have received a couple of major updates to make it even smoother, more stable, and would have been expanded onto newer hardware. Developers would have been added and the App Catalog would have grown with more major names. HP, at this point, would have been a major player in the mobile market. But look at where they are now.....

Nope, HP is dead as a mobile phone competitor - and they should be. I'll never buy an HP mobile device... evar.
    What are the odds of an HP Windows Phone?

Not that I would buy it anyway. But I'm curious
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/01/hp-new-smartphone

WebOS maybe as a differentiator?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2013 at 08:01 AM.
    ittl be android of winblows, likely android as it costs them less to do so, not that id waste any cash on a HP product these days.

i like how its quoted "When HP has a smartphone" a nice convenient statement to pretent they havent already had one before.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    ittl be android of winblows, likely android as it costs them less to do so, not that id waste any cash on a HP product these days.

i like how its quoted "When HP has a smartphone" a nice convenient statement to pretent they havent already had one before.
    And the full quote... with one addition I thought looks obvious.
    "Being late (to Android) you have to create a different set of proposition. There are still things that can be done. Its not late. When HP has a smartphone, it will give a differentiated experience."
    Words matter! Also gives a little view into how they may have seen webOS in their world. Just some experiment of a company that they never really felt was a part of HP and couldn't wait to forget about. If that interviewer had some balls they would have mentioned that HP already had a smartphone, the Pre 2.

F HP! If they release an Android powered Slate 4 or Slate 5 or some BS, I'm gonna flip.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    F HP! If they release an Android powered Slate 4 or Slate 5 or some BS, I'm gonna flip.
    considering the largely underwhelming "budget" 7" android tablet they released which was anything but budget, who in their right mind would actually buy a HP android phone over the proper cheap phones or at the other end of the scale the long standing well known branded phones like samsung/lg?.

i dont get what their unique selling point is over all the alternatives, their certainly not a well respected or known brand name with a good rep in the eyes of consumers for the mobile world.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    not interested in any junk hp has to sell these days.
    kevets, Rnp, kulf and 1 others like this.
    Why? Why do you have to torture me with this? I was just getting used to the pain and you come along and poke the wound and ask, 'Does this hurt?'!

And I agree with your assessment. Who would buy an HP phone? History says they will just abandon it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just think where they would be at this point if they hadn't let a moron run the company for a few months. By this point HP would be solidly in 3rd place - strongly ahead of Windows Phone 8. webOS would have received a couple of major updates to make it even smoother, more stable, and would have been expanded onto newer hardware. Developers would have been added and the App Catalog would have grown with more major names. HP, at this point, would have been a major player in the mobile market. But look at where they are now.....

Nope, HP is dead as a mobile phone competitor - and they should be. I'll never buy an HP mobile device... evar.
    I'm sure whatever they come up with will be underwhelming. The only good HP smartphones ever were because of palm.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Don't forget M. Whitman's comments a few months ago...

They want to aim a smartphone at emerging countries where it will be a consumer's only computing device.

FireFox OS.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I'm sure whatever they come up with will be underwhelming. The only good HP smartphones ever were because of palm.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    I agree wholeheartedly. I know someone who had an HP Windows Mobile smartphone (iPAQ). It was a piece of junk. The Pre 3 and Veer were the only good smartphones to come out of HP, ever.

If history repeats itself, HP will release a cheap Android phone that no one will care about. Just like their crappy Slate 7. How does a company justify going from the elegant TouchPad Go to the cruddy Slate 7? What the hell were they thinking? Then they will release a "high end" Android phone that nobody will care about either. They only way HP could excite anyone about their mobile products is to release a new, high end webOS product. We all know that there is a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Go ahead, HP. Waste your money on yet another Android device that no one in their right mind would buy from you. Make yourself even more irrelevant in the mobile world while your computing business brings in less and less money. We know you will do the "safe thing" and follow the "me too" crowd because you don't have the guts to do anything else.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    How does a company justify going from the elegant TouchPad Go to the cruddy Slate 7? What the hell were they thinking?---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    its weird isnt it, a lot suggested the touchpad was visually rather unattractive, esp when comparing to ipad(s), tbh i still like the chunky touchpad, esp when im reading in bed, the slimmer devices tend to get uncomfortable to hold after a while and the ipad3 actually feels noticably uncomfortable after a while, digging into your fingers as it rounds off to a narrow edge or metal.

thankfully i have no such issues with the touchpad, im even appreciating the extra depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Don't forget M. Whitman's comments a few months ago...

They want to aim a smartphone at emerging countries where it will be a consumer's only computing device.

FireFox OS.
    Not gonna happen. Firefox OS is terribly slow on lower end hardware (like the today launched ZTE Open and Alcatel One Touch Fire) and higher end hardware increases the price. So either way HP will not cut it with FF OS if it was for emerging markets where one will use it as the only computing device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Not gonna happen. Firefox OS is terribly slow on lower end hardware (like the today launched ZTE Open and Alcatel One Touch Fire) and higher end hardware increases the price. So either way HP will not cut it with FF OS if it was for emerging markets where one will use it as the only computing device.
    LOL I never said it would be well executed and successful.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast