Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    The German webOS Blog has just called my attention to LG's Silicon Valley Lab. If click on Learn More you'll see that LG is drawing attention to webOS and describes the advantages of the Enyo framework.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Seems interesting. Thanks for posting this ;D

Btw. the link to Open webOS from their page is kinda fail - it hasn't been updated since March... and it's already July
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    check out the open positions page: Careers | LG Silicon Valley Lab
    They are recruiting a lot of people to the Webos team - I hope it means that they will keep Webos alive
    Rnp, eblade and Vistaus like this.
    Looks interesting. But I don't let my hopes get up again. A website is fast in the making but it's patient like paper...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Ya know... I still cruise by the gram site to check for updates, LOL...

This one looks better already and I have way more hopes for it advancing in content now that HP is removed from the equation.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    alonhzn and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    check out the open positions page: Careers | LG Silicon Valley Lab
    They are recruiting a lot of people to the Webos team - I hope it means that they will keep Webos alive
    I think it means LG is serious about webos for its tvs either as an addon device or for tvs themselves. I think a smart box makes sense esp wtih PS4, Xbox 1 coming by holidays. A LG device could play some simple games and apps. But I doubt smart phones is on LG's list.
    I think the LG webOS team is in lock down mode so nothing is being updated on their site. Probably LG's direct orders. I still have a faintest hope LG will sell a few thousand unlocked LG Android phones to some enterprising group who will add open webOS to those devices and sell them on a small scale to prior webOS owners or adventurous few. (LG won't make the devices themselves given the risk of money loss, prestige loss, jeopardizing android efforts, mozilla efforts) Maybe Phoenix? or webos Ports? LG could even loan a few engineers in secret to speed the process up.
    hulickr likes this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    I think it means LG is serious about webos for its tvs either as an addon device or for tvs themselves. I think a smart box makes sense esp wtih PS4, Xbox 1 coming by holidays. A LG device could play some simple games and apps. But I doubt smart phones is on LG's list.
    I think the LG webOS team is in lock down mode so nothing is being updated on their site. Probably LG's direct orders. I still have a faintest hope LG will sell a few thousand unlocked LG Android phones to some enterprising group who will add open webOS to those devices and sell them on a small scale to prior webOS owners or adventurous few. (LG won't make the devices themselves given the risk of money loss, prestige loss, jeopardizing android efforts, mozilla efforts) Maybe Phoenix? or webos Ports? LG could even loan a few engineers in secret to speed the process up.
    LG is already selling "smart TVs" with android, app store and everything... I personally think that WebOS has a superb user experience for touch screens - I don't see how it can benefit LG with the TVs... I mean, they already have a very good product running, why invest any more money in a different OS that has no apparent advantage and no apps?!
    eblade likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    LG is already selling "smart TVs" with android, app store and everything... I personally think that WebOS has a superb user experience for touch screens - I don't see how it can benefit LG with the TVs... I mean, they already have a very good product running, why invest any more money in a different OS that has no apparent advantage and no apps?!
    Why question something that has been officially stated by LG and has been in the news here, over and over again?
    Why tell people on a WebOS forum that WebOS has no advantages?
    Do I smell troll? *sniffs the air*
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    eblade likes this.
    Let's take a look at the site's home page... They are definitely promoting webOS as part of a larger strategy.

Here's the lead in text...

LG want's to integrate a web based approach across the board: "all of LG's devices."

How will they accomplish this goal? Front and center you have the webOS placard.

LG looks at webOS as "The Next Generation, Web-centric Platform." That implies an advancement of the OS, a maturing to ready it for broad use... If it's a web-centric platform and LG wants a web based approach for all their devices, where will they turn?

They'll utilize webOS:

It's "built to run on a wide range of form factors." They believe it is "a proven operating system" and they have "exciting developments in the works." Big talk, right? How will a revamped webOS deliver a success in the marketplace? What do you need backing up a good Operating System?

Apps...

There's a clever bit of imagery. Apps behind webOS - Enyo Apps, cross platform, cross device Apps built in Enyo. Peel back the webOS placard and what do you see?

Cross platform, native quality, HTML 5 Apps developed in Enyo. Apps that can be borrowed from other platforms, web-based Apps on the internet, Enyo based Apps developed in-house and by community developers that fit seamlessly on your Phone/Tablet/Computer/TV. A quick-growth approach to building an ecosystem.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like LG is ready to start building something here. Something I believe LG has the drive, capital and vision to create... webOS in your home, in your pocket, on your computer. Not just toasters, real electronics that people use every day... and, yeah, toasters too.

Take a look again at LG's CES 2013 presentation, just a short time before they announced the purchase of webOS. Sounds like they need to use a proprietary system to keep it integrated, to make the user experience seamless and consistent. You can't accomplish the goals they set forth easily if someone else controls the OS... So they went and bought "a proven operating system that enables users to deliver the same seamless and intuitive interactions everywhere." They bought webOS...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJFIFsU2kNU[/YT]
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/03/2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Dang Typo

Mobile Nations Devotee
    eblade and bethel95 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Let's take a look at the site's home page... They are definitely promoting webOS as part of a larger strategy.

Here's the lead in text...
    Click to view quoted image

LG want's to integrate a web based approach across the board: "all of LG's devices."

How will they accomplish this goal? Front and center you have the webOS placard.

LG looks at webOS as "The Next Generation, Web-centric Platform." That implies an advancement of the OS, a maturing to ready it for broad use... If it's a web-centric platform and LG wants a web based approach for all their devices, where will they turn?

They'll utilize webOS:

It's "built to run on a wide range of form factors." They believe it is "a proven operating system" and they have "exciting developments in the works." Big talk, right? How will a revamped webOS deliver a success in the marketplace? What do you need backing up a good Operating System?

Apps...

There's a clever bit of imagery. Apps behind webOS - Enyo Apps, cross platform, cross device Apps built in Enyo. Peal back the webOS placard and what do you see?

Cross platform, native quality, HTML 5 Apps developed in Enyo. Apps that can be borrowed from other platforms, web-based Apps on the internet, Enyo based Apps developed in-house and by community developers that fit seamlessly on your Phone/Tablet/Computer/TV. A quick-growth approach to building an ecosystem.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like LG is ready to start building something here. Something I believe LG has the drive, capital and vision to create... webOS in your home, in your pocket, on your computer. Not just toasters, real electronics that people use every day... and, yeah, toasters too.

Take a look again at LG's CES 2013 presentation, just a short time before they announced the purchase of webOS. Sounds like they need to use a proprietary system to keep it integrated, to make the user experience seamless and consistent. You can't accomplish the goals they set forth easily if someone else controls the OS... So they went and bought "a proven operating system that enables users to deliver the same seamless and intuitive interactions everywhere." They bought webOS...

Rumorednow..... eh, oh nooooo. keeping our hopes high? ..or you know something we do not lol...

Right now, I'd be happy with a Pre 3 Pro (Dual core, 1GB memory, 32GB storage, SD support, keyboard running Webos 3.2.5 and a 2000mah battery ) lol
    Mobile devices (as its been said a zillion times) is the device of the future. LG buys WebOS to put on a non mobile device, an OS written from the ground up for mobile devices. I just can't believe LG has plans for ONLY TVs.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    Rumorednow..... eh, oh nooooo. keeping our hopes high? ..or you know something we do not lol...

Right now, I'd be happy with a Pre 3 Pro (Dual core, 1GB memory, 32GB storage, SD support, keyboard running Webos 3.2.5 and a 2000mah battery ) lol
    Like I said, maybe I'm crazy...

I'm just reading the site. It's what they say at SVL. How else do you interpret it?

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Mobile devices (as its been said a zillion times) is the device of the future. LG buys WebOS to put on a non mobile device, an OS written from the ground up for mobile devices. I just can't believe LG has plans for ONLY TVs.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

P.S.: Didja watch the CES vid??? I don't think forking Android constantly is the most efficient way to pull off what they present as the LG vision...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/03/2013 at 10:44 AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    didnt they announce firefox phones? i thought i read some interview a short while agp where the LG team talked about repurposing webOS to replace the mobile pieces with tv and digital signage pieces.

i wouud not count on anyone except webos ports for mobile

edit: here is the post with the interview--repurpose UI from mobile to system of smart devices:
    So it happened...

edit 2: watched pieces of the video. scary--the presenters talk about free and natural life but their look is something else.
    gotta hand it to jobs--at least he was zen with his words.
    so I see webOS as the workhorse OS in all the appliances as the consumer doesnt care what they run. And the consumer pulls out their android smartphone or whatever and it interfaces via Enyo app to the webOS appliance so they can control the washing cycle. With the blackberry debacle now looming on os10, all the more reason i don't see LG putting webOS on a mobile device anytime soon.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/03/2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    didnt they announce firefox phones? [...]
    Firefox is for the low end phones... the kind that still happen to run BREW-based operating systems at this point. Android will continue to dominate the high end.

As for webOS and its uses, it seems that the web app framework with the "stages" and "scenes" is what is being considered useful, purely from the development standpoint, by both Gram clients, LG and KeyiCam. But then i doubt LG will permanently remove the mobile-centric features, like Bluetooth. In a way, a phone is hand-held entertainment, while a TV is floor-mounted, so both are pretty similar in many regards.
    Why wouldn't a TV have bluetooth? it's a good way to connect keyboards, headphones, and other things.

Mojo, the app framework with the "stages" and "scenes" is so dead, it's hanging out with Jim Morrisson and Jimi Hendrix, etc.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    It's not dead - I won't let it die!
    Well, it's dead for the future.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Choorp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Why wouldn't a TV have bluetooth? it's a good way to connect keyboards, headphones, and other things.

Mojo, the app framework with the "stages" and "scenes" is so dead, it's hanging out with Jim Morrisson and Jimi Hendrix, etc.
    I've been so myopic in modifying Enyo apps that it's never occurred to me that the stage/scene construct is gone and has been a Mojo-only thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Well, it's dead for the future.
    I agree, but I just got very disillusioned with the whole "stop developing with mojo and leave your phone users behind" philosophy from Palm/HP and the fact that Enyo doesn't fully work on webOS phones. What Enyo I did put on phones was disappointing to use, so I continue to do my personal projects in Mojo. I've been too busy to get set up to build Enyo 2 apps.
    Remy X likes this.
    If i may comment eventually webos will meet one of two fates! Die in blazing Glory! or Eventually it will make its way back into the mobile Market. If anyone disagrees please explain because I see no other options for this great os! Long Live Webos!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast