Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    We should tell these people they're lamers and to use Touchpads.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ve-now-823660/
    Last edited by dignitary; 08/16/2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Huh? Where are there new Touchpads???

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    I'm not understanding...

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 06/30/2013 at 01:14 AM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Why would anyone switch from a just abandoned device to a long abandoned device?
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Huh? Where are there new Touchpads???

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    There's some on ebay, but other than that .. not much.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
    Why would anyone switch from a just abandoned device to a long abandoned device?
    I don't even get why people are abandoning it. When Google announced that the back then very popular Motorola Xoom wouldn't get any updates anymore people were furious too but no one threw 'em on Ebay; everyone kept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I don't even get why people are abandoning it. When Google announced that the back then very popular Motorola Xoom wouldn't get any updates anymore people were furious too but no one threw 'em on Ebay; everyone kept it.
    Because the apps are specifically for the playbook and the devs have moved on to the new BB10 so the playbook will not get new apps.
    The android emulator only supports Gingerbread, would need the new BB10 to get the later android updates
    The browser is slow.
    edit; the bootloader is locked

For my purposes, the playbook flash browser still works better than webOS on sites like nbcnews. Also the playbook does a nice job of recording video/audio and I've used it successfully outside as well as inside. Its docs to go is ok for reading files and you can attach files via the email app. Another nice thing is that it transfer files over wifi easily to pcs.

That said, it does not have skype (bummer) although there are a few workarounds. Also, since it may not be updated, I am concerned that the browser will fall slowly into being able to access fewer websites as website technology advances.

edit 2: it may be that we will eventually see the webos-ports version of webOS on the touchpad; if so, at that time, the touchpad may be able to move forward as a webOS device again.

edit 3: playbook browser can play amazon video
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/30/2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Bootloader is locked doesn't make any difference. There are several phones with locked bootloaders (for example the old Motorola smartphones) and they all got custom ROMs. It's possible to circumvent locked bootloaders.
    On the other recent Blackberry thread here, I floated the idea of openwebOS on the playbook and yes, locked bootloader.

Still a long shot, even if the bootloader issue can be circumvented, but I think a fair few Playbooks were sold...

No doubt there will be cyanogenmod before you can say Jon Rubinstein, but if that's possible, this:
    New WebOS-Ports Video

...suggests that OpenwebOS-Ports might also be possible.

I was about to add that if PIC made an OwOS version of ACL, then that could add value, but I keep having to remind myself that it's not just a plugin and apparently needs hardware optimisation for each device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    On the other recent Blackberry thread here, I floated the idea of openwebOS on the playbook and yes, locked bootloader.

Still a long shot, even if the bootloader issue can be circumvented, but I think a fair few Playbooks were sold...

No doubt there will be cyanogenmod before you can say Jon Rubinstein, but if that's possible, this:
    New WebOS-Ports Video

...suggests that OpenwebOS-Ports might also be possible.

I was about to add that if PIC made an OwOS version of ACL, then that could add value, but I keep having to remind myself that it's not just a plugin and apparently needs hardware optimisation for each device.
    PIC do NOT own the project they kickstarted, their just the medium to which OM are releasing their product, there seem to be a lot of confusion around with respect to people assuming that the kickstarted funds means that PIC own in some way or form the code for ACL.

they dont, so banking on anything new from ACL is just a fruitless dream, we dont even have the slothlike current ACL yet either, there wont be any modifications of code or anything from PIC's side, its all in OM's ballpark and considering the length of time for ACL to actually be released on something (technically we still dont have it) the chances of a new version is beyond slim.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Rnp, RumoredNow, Remy X and 1 others like this.
    I ended up buying one and half Playbooks for my family and there nice little tablets. They have their flaws but they are a good value at the 200 a piece I payed. Their Browser is top notch and I think it ranks higher then all other tablet browsers. I'm even a bit disappointed they won't get BB10.

I found this article on the PlayBooks recent fate, Made me Laugh:

http://mashable.com/2013/06/28/black...-good-as-dead/

This is my edited version of a quote from the article:
    "So, PlayBook, it was nice knowing you. You were, in fact, impressive and innovative for your time. Your features like cards (webOS did that first), swipe from bevel (webOS did that first), true multitasking (webOS did that first), wireless content sharing (touch to share, webOS did that first) and more have all been copied by more successful mobile companies (but first was Copied from webOS)."
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    PIC do NOT own the project they kickstarted, their just the medium to which OM are releasing their product, there seem to be a lot of confusion around with respect to people assuming that the kickstarted funds means that PIC own in some way or form the code for ACL.
    I know.. ;-)

they dont, so banking on anything new from ACL is just a fruitless dream, we dont even have the slothlike current ACL yet either, there wont be any modifications of code or anything from PIC's side, its all in OM's ballpark and considering the length of time for ACL to actually be released on something (technically we still dont have it) the chances of a new version is beyond slim.
    I was suggesting the unlikely possibility of circumventing the boot loader on a non-Android device, then the unlikely possibility of getting an as yet unfinished port onto it - might as well go the extra mile to suggest the unlikely possibility of ACL! ;-)

On the other hand, how many customers do OM have? Little PIC might be able to call the tune a bit because no one else is even buying! ;-)

Daydreaming is fun!
    The playbook browser is great and it runs web apps like a dream. I still find it almost completely useless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Maybe they will be our new audience after the "renovations" being done
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    So, as it was reported last week, Blackberry's Playbook isn't getting BB OS 10, and people are furious and moving on. What a great opportunity for webOS and specifically Touchpad users to reach out and get them over here at webOS Nation!

Please check them out and help convince them to join us with shiny new Touchpads in hand!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ve-now-823660/
    Funnily enough, that's why I'm looking around here ;-)
    I've never seen much of what WebOS has - my last memories were of the original pre (thought it was interesting at the time, but couldn't afford it back then) and not being able to get a firesaled touchpad when they were actually 'firesaling' (if that's a word).
    So, just wondering what the current app selection is like? Are there any special reasons to get/not get one?

Also, just read the article about the ACL kickstarter - which looks intersting, can anyone point me in the direction of any updates to that?

Thanks for the time anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderten50 View Post
    ...Also, just read the article about the ACL kickstarter - which looks intersting, can anyone point me in the direction of any updates to that?
    The most recent Kickstarter update is here: Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications The App that I want on webOS [Episode 12] &mdash; Kickstarter
  17.    #17  
    If you read the thread as of tonight, my call to Playbook users is getting intense traction!

Help me encourage the Playbook users of the Crackberry nation to suit up with Touchpads instead! We can win this war, people! Get in there and convince them that the HP Touchpad is the tablet of the past, present, and future! We can finally gain some marketshare again, however small!

Convince Playbook developers to come over to webOS using the same HTML5 skills they've used, in order to help contribute to our community and make them some money. Now, more than ever, they're looking and we can use them to bolster our application numbers once again! Yes, the ACL may be nice, but why not encourage new webOS development for the Touchpad in the meantime? We can make our voices heard!

If you have a spare Touchpad you're not using, consider offering it up to a Playbook developer, or in a giveaway contest in the linked thread to the Crackberry Playbook folks considering leaving for another platform! It would only take a few strategically-given Touchpads to get a dozens of new members here--and even some new developers! You can help create a new resurgence of interest in our beloved platform and tablet!

Down with cheap Android tablets that break when you look at them funny--and the bourgeoisie iPad! Up with webOS and dual-booting! Who needs s Surface, a Galaxy Tab, an iPad, or anything else when you have the only tablet that can reliably dual-boot, a dual-core 1.5Ghz processor, top-rated Adreno 220 graphics, and even 4G options! Tell them about the Touchpad Go, and maybe even the Pre 3 if Blackberry's angered them enough to reconsider their phone.

It's up to you to help bring them in, so who's with me? The Touchpad can live again with the thousands of users and developers being actively tossed out like trash by Blackberry over the Playbook debacle. And how many registered users does Crackberry.com have? Would you rather they pass up webOS, or would you like to welcome them in?
    surely tho in reality their gonna want /$ for their work and will just goto apple/android.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    surely tho in reality their gonna want /$ for their work and will just goto apple/android.
    Yeah, but on Apple, you're never guaranteed any sort of success unless your app gets featured in some publication.... while on smaller, "younger" platforms like this one, Firefox and Blackberry, there's more potential exposure (than just sinking into a bog of similar apps that no-one ever looks at...)

To each their own, but have a look, dignitary is serious about this. At first i thought this was just his twisted sense of humor, but it turns out he really meant what he said...

Have a look:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...60/index2.html (page 2)

If we end up doing a Touchpad giveaway, i might as well chip in $10...

Last edited by Remy X; 07/02/2013 at 06:15 PM.
    I thought it was kinda a joke at first too but after his last post I can tell he is serious. The only problem is that I can't convince BB PlayBook users to switch to a Touchpad. Maybe if they wanted 9.7 inch screen. I can't say the app out look is any better then the PlayBook and it has some great games. The Browser is better on the PlayBook. If they have a BB phone then they should stay with the PlayBook since they can pair them. As much as I would love to convince them to switch to a Touchpad, if they have a PlayBook there is no reason.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast