Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    After buying a new iphone 5 and installing ios 7 on it I decided to get my veer and see which one is better. So i because with the multitasking and in my opinion despite its a beta webos seems more natural and fluid. IOS however seems dull and boring because the preview of the apps are simply snapshots while webos shows a live view of the programs currently running. Next was the web browser, On the veer due to its outdated webkit most pages were laggy, with ios 7 it was the same effect since again it is a beta. Apps on the veer launched flawlessly while iphone apps mainly crashed. I will admit webos may not have many apps while the apple app catalog is massive but all apps for webos barely have any problems and that's why i love webos! Next were the cameras due to the veers lack of zooming and 5mp camera the photos were ok. The iphone 5 pictures looked fresh and amazing but the camera would crash so often it seemed pointless to use. Although i this is a beta it was pretty stable. So my decision is webos is better due to the fact we have amazing users and developer who want to revive webos. I truly hope LG is coming up with a gamer changer!
    So you're saying it was stable despite being a Beta and crashing left and right?
    I haven't tried it personally, but I find it hard to believe. Seemed just fine on my friends iPhone 5.

iOS apps barely have problems too...?

You're kinda comparing webOS to a build of iOS not meant for public use.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Remy X and sledge007 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    So you're saying it was stable despite being a Beta and crashing left and right?
    I haven't tried it personally, but I find it hard to believe. Seemed just fine on my friends iPhone 5.

iOS apps barely have problems too...?

You're kinda comparing webOS to a build of iOS not meant for public use.
    im simply giving my opinion. Also most ios apps work fine. my main point is webos had the best multitasking system i had ever seen. it seemed a waste of hp to kill it prematurely.
    Vistaus and C-Note like this.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that iOS 7 apps will not be backward-compatible. This is the reason the beta was released so far in advance. Devs have a decision to make, publish two sets of the same app or ditch pre-iOS7 altogether. There is a precedent for this since Windows Phone 8 is not compatible with WP7x, many users felt abandoned. Where have I heard this before?
    I can understand why Apple would do that, not from a technical perspective, but with such a change in graphics, the old pieces of software would make the whole thing chaotic and the slick new apps on OS 6 would look out of place as well.
    This makes me wonder how big of a dent this will place in the app count. And what about apps like those fancy games that have their own look entirely?

Now WP8 ditched WP7 hardware because it required a kernel change and additional hardware security parts (IIRC), and probably because MS chose not to for practical reasons (as sad as it is). However, WP7 apps are compatible with WP8.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Who is claiming the apps aren't compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Who is claiming the apps aren't compatible?
    Apple is. Skeumorphism is out as the design language and iOS7 will only support devices newer than the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. No retina, no 7.
    IMHO it's just trivial to compare such temporally far operating systems becuase webOS is actually "dead" and will be so for a long time, maybe forever. Don't mistunderstand, I really love webOS and I wouldn't change it with another OS even if it lacks several features, but it hasn't been updated for two years and all I can think is: "Dammit, with two more years of development it could have become a devastating OS, maybe the best one ever seen". However, Android and iOS are going to evolve further and iOS7 will surely become more stable and usable, so it's "revolutionary" (lol) card-alike multitasking view will get lots of improvements, maybe becoming better than ours, who knows?
    I am currently testing iOS7 Beta 2. I am not a big fan at all. I am sure there will be more polish before the official release, but I'm still disappointed.

UI:

Not as fluid as webOS. You still have more steps to accomplish one task. There is now a back swipe option for messaging, mail and websites, but not universal throughout the OS or apps. Spotlight is now a swipe down feature from the springboard but does not give you the option to search the web. It's no "just Type". Design and textures have been created into layers. most menus have a white background to them. Text and fonts are very narrow and difficult to read.

Folders and Icons:

Apples default icons look very one dimensional. Almost candy color looking. Something you would expect on the leapfrog or kids tablet, lot an apple product. Folders are just a light grey color and give no shadowing or texture look to them. The keyboard changes color slightly depending on the task you are trying to accomplish. White keyboard for texting, dark grey keyboard for searching in spotlight. not very uniform at all.

Camera app:

The camera app has now introduced scrolling for Carmer, Video, Square pic or Pano. The capture button is no longer transparent on the screen but a solid white or red. This gives you less of a clear view of what you're capturing.

In conclusion

I know iOS has been stale for the last few years. iOS7 is a new look but might not be for everyone. I personally do not like the new look or feel of using the interface.

I still own a launch day pre- and a Touchpad. I still believe webOS just nailed it! Multitasking, UI and totally ease of use. It's interesting seeing Blackberry, Android, iOS AND Windows phone taking ques from webOS. But nothing can every replace webOS as a complete opperating system. That's why I baby my pre- and Touchpad so much Still use them both to this day!
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    UI:

Not as fluid as webOS. You still have more steps to accomplish one task. There is now a back swipe option for messaging, mail and websites, but not universal throughout the OS or apps. Spotlight is now a swipe down feature from the springboard but does not give you the option to search the web. It's no "just Type". Design and textures have been created into layers. most menus have a white background to them. Text and fonts are very narrow and difficult to read..................
    ............I still own a launch day pre- and a Touchpad. I still believe webOS just nailed it! Multitasking, UI and totally ease of use. It's interesting seeing Blackberry, Android, iOS AND Windows phone taking ques from webOS. But nothing can every replace webOS as a complete opperating system. That's why I baby my pre- and Touchpad so much Still use them both to this day!
    I was hoping iOS7 would be somewhat better than previous version and closer to webOS in usability. I love the hardware for most high end Android tablets and the iPad. However, I hate the software (iOS, Android OS). No where near as easy to use as webOS. No matter how much I keep forcing myself to use them, I keep coming back to webOS on my TouchPad, even with the old browser and stale app catalog. Why can't these companies, Google and Apple, make an OS that is fluid across all applications and is easy to use? They have enough money. I guess they just don't have the talent. Most of their "designers" seem full of themselves.
    C-Note and paisley99 like this.
    I just bought a dell xps12 convertible with windows 8. I previously had windows 8 on a non touchscreen laptop and I thought I would like the touchscreen better. Now I keep thinking its a touchpad and it just drives me crazy.

Sad to say after a couple of days I have installed start8 and will never see the metro ui again, maybe by mistake.

And we talking the best efforts of some of the world's biggest companies.
    paisley99 likes this.
    When someone says an OS is not as fluid as WebOS, which version of WebOS is being used as a comparison?

The iPhone 4 was released in June 2010, before the Pre 2 was released. It will get the iOS7 update.
    When someone says an OS is not as fluid as WebOS, which version of WebOS is being used as a comparison?

The iPhone 4 was released in June 2010, before the Pre 2 was released. It will get the iOS7 update.
    My fluid comment is in reference to webOS 3.0.5 on the TouchPad (With LunaCE of course) and even webOS 1.4 on the Pre minus. WebOS is so far the only mobile OS I've used that works the same across all apps. I know what to expect when opening, closing, or navigating in between apps because they all behave the same way. Content downloads in the background when switching away from apps (can't say that for ALL Android or iOS apps). Games pause when in card view and start back right where I left off when the card is maximized (not the same for all games on other platforms). Videos pause also and start right back when the card is maximized (again not the same on other Oplatforms). Applications like the browser or news readers display LIVE content while minimized in card view. Switching back and forth between apps is a simple swipe instead of pushing or holding a button then selecting the app. FLUID because it does not require that much effort. FLUID because the behavior is the same. I think Apple only focuses its multitasking efforts on 7 categories of apps in the API for iOS and Android doesn't really care how an app behaves once it is launched.

The only gripe I can imagine with webOS is that apps seem to take a while to open. The card view animation starts first, then the app splash, then the app goes to full screen, then the app is ready to use. In Android and iOS go straight to full screen, then use. I tested a few apps on webOS and on Android and even with the card view animations on webOS, the apps were ready to use at the same time on each platform. It just seems like it takes forever on webOS. There is also a stutter when opening some apps (like KSMP). I will take that stutter any day of the week instead of being forced to use iOS or Android's interfaces.

Oh, and while I'm at it, although I would like to see folders in webOS' app launcher and find them kind of useless. I have apps in folders on Android and I hardly ever go into the folders to launch the apps. I usually find myself opening the app up in the menu (from its original spot) or typing the name of the app in the search bar to open it. I don't know if my mind sees folders as a waste of time or I'm just not used to having them in webOS so my mind has adapted to just finding the apps the old fashion way.
    Rnp likes this.
    To me, apps taking a long time opening is the opposite of fluid.

Another point is my wife has a Sprint Photon 4G and it will never be updated beyond Gingerbread. That is terrible.
    Last edited by rnld; 06/30/2013 at 04:32 PM.
    To me, apps taking a long time opening is the opposite of fluid.

Another point is my wife has a Sprint Photon 4G and it will never be updated beyond Gingerbread. That is terrible.
    I dont know, but I have grown used to the card doing its thing before it goes full screen. I dont know about other os but on webos I like it just the way it is. Why? because when it minimize first it gives me a more time to get a visual cue as to where it is in relation to other open apps and if it gonna be by itself or in a stack.

For example with version of lunaCE beta I have on my touchpad browser when I select new card it goes full screen immediately and it always throws me off. The phone app does this sometimes on my phone also.

So while one can say it goes full screen and wow its speedy, it not good for my navigational multi_tasking bearings on webos
    Last edited by laingman; 06/30/2013 at 07:06 PM.
  16.    #16  
    I wonder what apple is growing to do about the growing fragmentation in their ecosystem! Although it would never be as massive as androids.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    I wonder what apple is growing to do about the growing fragmentation in their ecosystem! Although it would never be as massive as androids.
    they wont care as the apple sheep will just follow their lead.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post

Apple will phase out support for the old style devices that lack the hardware spec needed to follow the new OS... Happens all the time.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    This video seems to highlight many of the reasons I love webOS with my favorite Preware homebrew patches. Has Apple deliberately copied webOS features or is the emphasis due to the reviewer being a webOS fan?

Apple iOS 7 Video - Business Insider

Thanks for the forum postings on all the experiences with iOS-7 beta from the webOS perspective!

Just looking at the video I was very impressed !!!
    ....now, thanks to postings here, I will look more closely before giving in to the dark side, if ever.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I dont know, but I have grown used to the card doing its thing before it goes full screen. I dont know about other os but on webos I like it just the way it is. Why? because when it minimize first it gives me a more time to get a visual cue as to where it is in relation to other open apps and if it gonna be by itself or in a stack.

For example with version of lunaCE beta I have on my touchpad browser when I select new card it goes full screen immediately and it always throws me off. The phone app does this sometimes on my phone also.

So while one can say it goes full screen and wow its speedy, it not good for my navigational multi_tasking bearings on webos
    Wasn't there a a patch to reduce the card animation time? Maybe I'm wrong. I can't find it. I can find something that reduces 'Tap-ripple' time so maybe that's what I'm thinking of.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast