Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree29Likes
    The Tamara Hope "Zen Goddess" commercials were creepy, and I definitely agree there. Palm had no direction in trying to sell the Pre.

I'll be sure to watch this one as well
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    That's all revisionist history.

On one hand he says the iPhone was a "turd" to "decent" but the reason for upgrades was because the user base had money burning a whole in their pockets - to the Pre was bad band needed to be upgraded.

It's been my point in this thread.
    Unless you're referring to an ealier post I missed, I'm pretty sure his "turd to decent" comment was describing the Pre+:

The Pre+ is a Pre- with doubled RAM, a revised gesture area and a "free" soft touch/matte Touchstone back, which was previously a somewhat expensive add-on. The loose battery issue was "solved" and it debuted on a better CDMA carrier. Another "freebie" on VZW Pre+ was a 5GB hotspot plan.

The phone want from turd to decent (usable!), even though the hardware was still not on par with now offerings like the iPhone 4. The Pre2 had an updated screen and mainboard while still reusing chassis, backs, batteries and commboards, and was an attempt to bridge the gap.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The Big Red has always wanted to own everything that they sell. Crippling GPS was "business as usual"
    I have been with Verizon since 2000 (wow yeah that long), started with a pager, anyway, got the PrePlus when my Plan to upgrade was due...

I have never had a GPS issue, I have been using the same PrePlus with the same Comm Board, for over 4 years, still have not had a single GPS issue...

No matter what map I use (Bing, Google, Here, NDrive, etc..) never has it messed up my GPS, never has it had an issue telling me where I was...

Why am I the only one?

I have looked at the GSM PrePlus, GSM Pre2, Verizon Pre2, I can not tell anything different between the GPS chips...

From day one I have never had an issue, someone please explain what crippling GPS is?

(Now I know some GPS tricks some have used AGPS, which uses the Verizon Cell Towers to assist (if I under stand this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS)?)

I have two options in Location Services Use GPS, Use Google, I only use GPS and never had an issue, never had to bring up VZNavigator (Not that I would pay for turn by turn when you can get it free)...

All my Developer Phones only use GPS, and few are NOT on WIFI, they still tell me the correct GPS cords, via ##GPS#...

Now I will also state, since webOS 2.1.0 (build 284/285) came out and then webOS 2.2.4 (for Pre2), I have not used a Verizon Build, but I have compared the md5sums and I can not find any logic that supports the GPS software between Verizon PrePlus/Pre2 webOS 1.4.5/2.1.0 and WR webOS 1.4.5/2.1.0 are different?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/16/2013 at 01:35 PM.
    I've been with Verizon since fall of '05. Pre+ since April '10, still use it daily.

Anyway,

On the Verizon Pre+, most people don't get good GPS lock unless they have Verizon Navigator running in the background. This was an ugly hack by them, to force people to buy Navigator, even though free Google Maps is good enough for most.

But good signal isn't hidden behind a paywall, the moment you start Navigator, problem is solved.

With an upgrade from 1.4 to 2.x, the same "GPS-stealing" code broke and as a result, on the Pre2 the "solution" of running or even buying Navigator no longer helped.

Now, i don't have a Pre2, but do experience the GPS problem on my Pre+, where the location "hops" in two or three mile increments, if Navigator is not used, sometimes even if i stay at the same physical location and don't move, or have only driven a half mile
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/16/2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Have anyone seen the recent videos of the latest operating system from Google's Android v4.3 which comes installed on the new 7-inch Nexus tablets that were launched today at the Google Event, Looks like not only Apple seems to have stole WebOS card style interface(on its new iOS 7 mobile OS) but it appeared like now Google has continued the trend in stealing more features out of WebOS. First they stole the wireless charger station which they called simply "orb" similar to WebOS touchstone charger, then they began stealing some features with its limited OS multitasking with swiping your finger across screen to close apps, and last also stealing WebOS exhibition mode on their latest version of Android 4.2. But now, they stole WebOS card style interface too.....which for me its totally out of line in part of Duarte to help Google to steal from WebOS.

Watch the latest video from CNET, at the end of video it shows a cheap copy version WebOS card style in the Android 4.3 operating system. You can the girl from CNET going into WebOS card tray and start flicking away cards to close apps:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRXvDcxU9o[/YT]
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 07/25/2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    That's not new in 4.3 - it's been there for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    That's not new in 4.3 - it's been there for a while.
    Essentially the same as CM9 TouchPad, although you do flick up instead of horizontal. Nothing earth shattering here.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Essentially the same as CM9 TouchPad, although you do flick up instead of horizontal. Nothing earth shattering here.
    If you are holding the tablet or phone the other way, you do flick horizontal.
    If you are holding the tablet or phone the other way, you do flick horizontal.
    Either way, hardly breaking news.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Indeed, this is after-all the sleepy backwater of the mobile nations - what's it down to? 50 active members? 100?
    Until they add the Angry Birds card-flicking easter egg, they are not finished.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    vasekvi, sledge007, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    Indeed, this is after-all the sleepy backwater of the mobile nations - what's it down to? 50 active members? 100?
    I would guess more. Lots of lurkers as there really isn't much to say!
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The Tamara Hope "Zen Goddess" commercials were creepy, and I definitely agree there. Palm had no direction in trying to sell the Pre.
    I actually loved those commercials and have all of them on my Mac to this day. I'm aware that most didn't like them but they are specifically what first drove me to buy a Pre.
    Exactly. And you can't exactly say that Android Card-flicking has been "stolen" from WebOS. It's Duarte all over and he (or someone from his team back then) is the one who invented that in the first place if I am not mistaken...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Exactly. And you can't exactly say that Android Card-flicking has been "stolen" from WebOS. It's Duarte all over and he (or someone from his team back then) is the one who invented that in the first place if I am not mistaken...
    Of course it was stolen, touchstone too.

This is not new tho:
    Last edited by laingman; 08/13/2013 at 07:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Of course it was stolen, touchstone too.

This is not new tho:
    Well, then the Touchstone was stolen by Palm from electric toothbrush chargers ...

This is getting ridiculous.

Duarte invented cards.
    Duarte works for google.
    Ergo Android has cards.

Simple as that.

Live with it.
    Well, then the Touchstone was stolen by Palm from electric toothbrush chargers ...

Duarte invented cards.
    Duarte works for google.
    Ergo Android has cards.

Simple as that.

Live with it.
    Unless Duarte had a very unusual contract with Palm/HP then the IP would normally belong with the company not the individual. That said, I for one am very glad that the best bits of WebOS are being copied. Whilst I still have a sliver of hope that we could see some sort of afterlife for it the more likely scenario is that it fades into history so the idea of Android becoming usable and productive by adopting ideas from WebOS is attractive. Maybe one day someone will produce a not-enormous, portrait-slider, latest generation hardware, android phone that I will be tempted to get - nothing on the horizon yet though...
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Unless Duarte had a very unusual contract with Palm/HP then the IP would normally belong with the company not the individual.
    I guess that's why the cards are swiped out horizontally ... hrhrhr

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    That said, I for one am very glad that the best bits of WebOS are being copied. Whilst I still have a sliver of hope that we could see some sort of afterlife for it the more likely scenario is that it fades into history so the idea of Android becoming usable and productive by adopting ideas from WebOS is attractive...
    ./sign

Duarte invented cards.
    Duarte works for google.
    Ergo Android has cards.

Simple as that.

Live with it.
    Come on now. I had a inductive charging toothbrush, and It never blew me away like the touchstone, not even in the same league. You can go ahead and give palm credit for applying the technology to smart phones and doing such a great job out the gate. I have seven of them and none of them ever failed.

One thing though Duarte does not like any references to his supposed new technology at google and the palm roots. Here is Duatrte at aprox. 8:12 in video busting out LG "new" technology and the verge guys cracking up at the obvious rip off and throwing up screens shots of the palm pre and touchstone.

I am sure he knows that nothing will come of it at this point, but he cringes whenever someone mentions palm technology. Not my hero at all, I would like him better if he would man up and tell the truth instead of all this pretend stuff. But I guess if I had moved to another OS I would like him better for bring a sort of webos thingy over
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345