1.    #1  
    I always think back to how webOS was finally taking off like it was suppose to (before the touchpad launch). I felt like it was finally going to have the muscle behind it that it deserved. We all know how this story ends...

I recently read an article that Windows is in 3rd place and not worried about Blackberry. This made me think if webOS had kept on course like it was suppose to would it still be in 3rd place?

Do you think it would have every had a chance to overtake Android or Apple? In my eyes I feel it should have, but I dont know all the #'s/adoption rates. I am almost for certain it would have stayed at least in 3rd place and gained ground as it updated.

This is just wishful thinking of what could have happened, but how do you feel it would have placed if all the OS's were still full speed ahead and all together in the ring? Apple, Android, webOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry.....in that order?
    not in the hands of HP, they want stuff like android/windows which others have invested time and money into that they can simply bundle with their hardware as opposed to spending that money on their own OS.

HP = minimum effort for potential maximum gain, zero innovation, zero effort, least $/ spent, happy board of directors.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I would imagine it would be in a head-on war with Windows Phone, but it really depends on the head honcho's feelings. It probably would lose to Microsoft, HP being less driven and being a MS partner, eventually leading to what I see as webOS vs. BB10 and the smaller things like Firefox and whatnot.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    (typed up a big reply and the server rejected it )

But...

I'd say that's wishful thinking, even with the head start Palm had in relation to Android, WinMo, Blackberry and the rest..

It pains me to say that, but hey, had the hardware/UX been good enough, Verizon would have not rejected the Pre- (The Pre2 would have been a much better phone to launch webOS with)

And then from the developer side:

Epic fail - no PDK apps until much later and as such no DRM or source code protection, limited access to "special"/undocumented APIs and no app catalog listing for apps that do make use of them, poor quality dev tools (debugging is a pain), etc, ...yup, they had dug their own grave..

Had the platform been more developer-friendly in the beginning (less piracy, ways keeping source code private, system APIs properly documented and accessible, better debugging support, lower level language support [C++ or .NET]), the app situation would have been much much better, with Netflix and whatever else your heart desires being available from the app store

Going from the enthusiastic pre-launch response to this, to the incompetent hands of HP, i'm not surprised we have ended up where we have, BUT, don't get me wrong, i still have faith, it'll just take a monumental amount of work to overcome the "hobbyist" status and reach "commercial grade". A free, open source Android app emulator would have gone a long way towards this, but in choosing to fund a closed-source for-profit effort instead, the community has cast its vote..

That's all i'm gonna say
    ^^ What Remy said, more or less.

there are all ifs and maybes, but if HP would have sticked with the keyboard design and neglected the devs and therefore the AppStore as they did before, WebOS would at maximum be challenging BlackberryOS.
    If HP would against expectations have developed slabphones (which are quite more popular than keyboard phones) and made some serious efforts App-wise, WebOS could have made better. How much better, I can't say, even hypothetically.

So far my 2 cents.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I'm curious what is everyone main idea that could have saved webos? Mine is if google,or amazon, or anyone that actual cared about webos would have bought it. But don't get me wrong i do have faith in LG i just hope they don't give up on webos.
    WebOS didn't have a good start do to the hardware. The Pre2 and then 3 were great improvements. I think how well WebOS would have done depends on what hardware it found itself in.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    WebOS didn't have a good start do to the hardware. The Pre2 and then 3 were great improvements. I think how well WebOS would have done depends on what hardware it found itself in.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Thanks for the quick reply! So why can we go to kickstarter for funds? Lets say if we got $30,000 for research and coming up with a prototype then we talk to at&t or another carrier for exclusive rights (and of course charge them for it) then we can get the ball rolling. i know phoenix is planning on doing this. but it can't hurt to dream right?
    I don't wanna to continue living about "if"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! So why can we go to kickstarter for funds? Lets say if we got $30,000 for research and coming up with a prototype then we talk to at&t or another carrier for exclusive rights (and of course charge them for it) then we can get the ball rolling. i know phoenix is planning on doing this. but it can't hurt to dream right?
    You serious?

The easiest and most realistic thing to do is to help Ports with getting the Android driver compatibility issues resolved, then buy high quality Chinese phones (not clones but *real* name brand devices like Oppo) and load webOS on that. Sell unlocked rather than dealing with the carriers... (carriers = nothing but headache)

If anyone doesn't care about not having a gesture area, then they're free to load OwOS on a Nexus device instead (cheaper)...

Sorry. Dreams quickly become roadkill when there's no solid basis for them. That's how it is, and sometimes i have lofty dreams too