• 8 Post By bluenote
  • 4 Post By gihmley
  • 4 Post By kevets
  • 1 Post By semprini
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By Buddy1969
  1.    #1  
    see below. What is digital signage?

2 Years Later, HP's Botched Palm Acquisition Still Stings | Deals | E-Commerce Times
    E-Commerce Times > Business > Deals | Next Article in Deals
    2 Years Later, HP's Botched Palm Acquisition Still Stings

By Erika Morphy
    E-Commerce Times
    06/13/13 11:46 AM PT

If the creative force behind webOS still regrets turning over his brainchild to HP, imagine how bad HP must feel over having squandered more than a billion dollars. "I agree with Rubinstein -- HP killed a very good OS and one that was very forward-looking for its time," said tech analyst Trip Chowdhry. "WebOS offered many of the features that came later in iOS and Android.

Former Palm CEO and webOS creator Jon Rubinstein is apparently still brooding over Palm's acquisition by HP. Two years later, he looks back at what HP did with webOS -- or rather what it didn't do -- and he is very disappointed, according to an interview Rubinstein gave to FierceWireless.

In retrospect, he probably would have done things differently, Rubinstein told the publication.

"If we had known they were just going to shut it down and never really give it a chance to flourish," he said, "what would have been the point of selling the company? Talk about a waste."

When HP acquired Palm for US$1.2 billion in 2010, it did indeed look as though webOS was destined for great things. A Web-centric multiplatform operating system , it could have propelled HP to the top ranks of the mobile wars, many believe, if it had continued to cultivate it.

No Love

Unfortunately, HP never exhibited as much passion for the OS as Palm and others in the tech community did, Trip Chowdhry, managing director of equity research with Global Equities Research, told TechNewsWorld.

The company likely found the development costs of maintaining and building the platform unpalatable, he suggested.

"I agree with Rubinstein -- HP killed a very good OS and one that was very forward-looking for its time," Chowdhry said. "WebOS offered many of the features that came later in iOS and Android, such as universal search," he said.

"webOS was a presciently architected software stack," John Jackson, vice president of research for CCS Insight, told TechNewsWorld.

"Today, if you look at where the potentially disruptive innovation is coalescing -- in some ways it is a homage to what webOS started," he said.

"A case could easily be made that the Web technologies that were used to build webOS will have a profound influence on how mobile apps will be developed in the future," Jackson said.

Where webOS Can Be Found Now

HP contributed webOS to the open source community in 2011 and more recently sold part of the webOS product portfolio and team to LG. LG plans to use the platform to develop smart TVs.

For webOS enthusiasts, this is both good news and bad news: The platform won't die, but it won't be widely disseminated either.

LG has a wide array of smart TVs that are currently being incorporated with Google TV apps and digital signage systems, noted Steve Gatena, CEO of VideoFort.com.

"Digital signage is an emerging industry that should see a large explosion in 2014 and 2015 as bandwidth increases and content streaming technology improves," he told TechNewsWorld.

That said, the likelihood of further commercial development with webOS is close to an absolute zero, observed Gatena.

"Only a small amount of people even picked it up when it was open source, and now that LG is going to take a different approach with it in their TVs, I would assume people would be cautious about picking it up," he said.

A Lost Opportunity

HP really did flub its acquisition of Palm, Gatena emphasized.

"I say this keeping in mind that acquisitions are not always prompted by face-value returns," he noted. "Sometimes other strategic moves are at play."

That said, HP didn't bother to put much effort and time into the deal, Gatena continued. At the time, it had several options: HP could have built different types of devices instead of copying the same Palm device and then doing minimal updates to webOS; or it could have looked into other acquisitions or strategic partnerships.

"With time and effort, HP could have made something amazing -- even revolutionary," he concluded, "but it seems to have let Apple take the reins on innovation."
    geekpeter, Remy X, vgg and 5 others like this.
    There are probably multiple definitions. Digital signage is interactive electronic information displays on front of a product that display info about it.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Good article; pretty much says it like it is. HP wasted a pile of money and screwed the pooch in the process. To say it was a terrible waste of WebOS's potential is putting it mildly.

I truly believe that, had HP invested the effort into hardware development, WebOS could be considered one of the top three mobile OSs now. Truly a shame...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

2 Years Later, HP's Botched Palm Acquisition Still Stings | Deals | E-Commerce Times
    E-Commerce Times > Business > Deals | Next Article in Deals
    2 Years Later, HP's Botched Palm Acquisition Still Stings

By Erika Morphy
    E-Commerce Times
    06/13/13 11:46 AM PT

If the creative force behind webOS still regrets turning over his brainchild to HP, imagine how bad HP must feel over having squandered more than a billion dollars. "I agree with Rubinstein -- HP killed a very good OS and one that was very forward-looking for its time," said tech analyst Trip Chowdhry. "WebOS offered many of the features that came later in iOS and Android.

Former Palm CEO and webOS creator Jon Rubinstein is apparently still brooding over Palm's acquisition by HP. Two years later, he looks back at what HP did with webOS -- or rather what it didn't do -- and he is very disappointed, according to an interview Rubinstein gave to FierceWireless.

In retrospect, he probably would have done things differently, Rubinstein told the publication.

"If we had known they were just going to shut it down and never really give it a chance to flourish," he said, "what would have been the point of selling the company? Talk about a waste."

When HP acquired Palm for US$1.2 billion in 2010, it did indeed look as though webOS was destined for great things. A Web-centric multiplatform operating system , it could have propelled HP to the top ranks of the mobile wars, many believe, if it had continued to cultivate it.

No Love

Unfortunately, HP never exhibited as much passion for the OS as Palm and others in the tech community did, Trip Chowdhry, managing director of equity research with Global Equities Research, told TechNewsWorld.

The company likely found the development costs of maintaining and building the platform unpalatable, he suggested.

"I agree with Rubinstein -- HP killed a very good OS and one that was very forward-looking for its time," Chowdhry said. "WebOS offered many of the features that came later in iOS and Android, such as universal search," he said.

"webOS was a presciently architected software stack," John Jackson, vice president of research for CCS Insight, told TechNewsWorld.

"Today, if you look at where the potentially disruptive innovation is coalescing -- in some ways it is a homage to what webOS started," he said.

"A case could easily be made that the Web technologies that were used to build webOS will have a profound influence on how mobile apps will be developed in the future," Jackson said.

Where webOS Can Be Found Now

HP contributed webOS to the open source community in 2011 and more recently sold part of the webOS product portfolio and team to LG. LG plans to use the platform to develop smart TVs.

For webOS enthusiasts, this is both good news and bad news: The platform won't die, but it won't be widely disseminated either.

LG has a wide array of smart TVs that are currently being incorporated with Google TV apps and digital signage systems, noted Steve Gatena, CEO of VideoFort.com.

"Digital signage is an emerging industry that should see a large explosion in 2014 and 2015 as bandwidth increases and content streaming technology improves," he told TechNewsWorld.

That said, the likelihood of further commercial development with webOS is close to an absolute zero, observed Gatena.

"Only a small amount of people even picked it up when it was open source, and now that LG is going to take a different approach with it in their TVs, I would assume people would be cautious about picking it up," he said.

A Lost Opportunity

HP really did flub its acquisition of Palm, Gatena emphasized.

"I say this keeping in mind that acquisitions are not always prompted by face-value returns," he noted. "Sometimes other strategic moves are at play."

That said, HP didn't bother to put much effort and time into the deal, Gatena continued. At the time, it had several options: HP could have built different types of devices instead of copying the same Palm device and then doing minimal updates to webOS; or it could have looked into other acquisitions or strategic partnerships.

"With time and effort, HP could have made something amazing -- even revolutionary," he concluded, "but it seems to have let Apple take the reins on innovation."
    Thanks for posting this. I agree with all that was said in the article. I love my Veer and Touchpad but sadly due to age and the purchase of newer technology I find myself using them less and less. (Although the Touchpad is still my daily tablet it is showing it's age.) I will never give up on webOS but I am a realist. I recognize the system is going nowhere fast at the moment but I still have hope, no matter how small, for the future.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    "With time and effort, HP could have made something amazing -- even revolutionary"

Yeah. Might be time to spring my "webos time machine" Kickstarter plan into action. In my webos alternate reality, HP never buys webos, Steve Jobs LIVES, and Matias never goes to Google.

Motivated by a unique competitor, Apple decides to allow webos devices to sync audio and compatible video with iTunes, starting a new open device partnership that raises awareness in the smooth and stylish OS. This act of goodwill is matched when curious app developers begin to take notice, not to mention the iTunes music store continuing to rake in cash. This new karma gives Steve a sense of calm, and rather than focusing on the growing threat of Google, he steps away from Apple to focus on his family. Having brought the iPod, iPad and iPhone into the world he feels he has finally accomplished his dream at Apple. Jobs reconnects with Bill Gates and accidentally discovers a way to cure cancer while on a malaria fighting excursion in Africa. Both men secure their place in history and eventually cure malaria too.

Google Android, needing an influx of creativity and justification in the business world, brings in a long time expert in business applications, Léo Apotheker, to help drive their business goals and head up Android. Marissa Mayer is promoted from the search team to advance the user experience of Android. They decide to follow the Apple skeuomorphism design and feature lots of gloss and gradients. Apotheker decides to abandon Android to focus on Google Chromebooks.

Matias Duarte, now the head of the webos unit at HP, launches Pre4 with great fanfare at CES 2012. The mythical slab arrives that summer, running webos 3.1 with full HTML5 and Flash compatibility, and the Synergy API team pounding the pavement has paid off. Strong incentive programs and enhancements to the core apps give popular social networking sites a pre-built messaging, audio, photo and video sharing platform for their users to connect their webos devices to without needing apps! The introduction of Synergy Springboard allows content providers to customize the look and feel of their interface, while still giving users a familiar experience switching between apps. HTC releases the first webos Pro device - a new line of devices made by 3rd party manufacturers - the HTC One W. webos is able to secure a strong third place ranking behind Anrdoid, as Apple continues to innovate and finally figure out multitasking.

edit... and then i wake up.
    Last edited by kevets; 06/24/2013 at 04:04 PM.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    "With time and effort, HP could have made something amazing -- even revolutionary"

Yeah. Might be time to spring my "webos time machine" Kickstarter plan into action. In my webos alternate reality, HP never buys webos, Steve Jobs LIVES, and Matias never goes to Google.

Motivated by a unique competitor, Apple decides to allow webos devices to sync audio and compatible video with iTunes, starting a new open device partnership that raises awareness in the smooth and stylish OS. This act of goodwill is matched when curious app developers begin to take notice, not to mention the iTunes music store continuing to rake in cash. This act of Karma gives Steve a sense of calm, and rather than focusing on the growing threat of Google, he steps away from Apple to focus on his family. Having brought the iPod, iPad and iPhone into the world he feels he has finally accomplished his dream at Apple. Jobs reconnects with Bill Gates and accidentally discovers a way to cure cancer while on a malaria fighting excursion in Africa. Both men secure their place in history and eventually cure malaria too.

Google Android, needing an influx of creativity and justification in the business world, brings in a long time expert in business applications, Léo Apotheker, to help drive their business goals and head up Android. Marissa Mayer is promoted from the search team to advance the user experience of Android. They decide to follow the Apple skeuomorphism design and feature lots of gloss and gradients. Apotheker decides to abandon Android to focus on Google Chromebooks.

Matias Duarte, now the head of the webos unit at HP, launches Pre4 with great fanfare at CES 2012. The mythical slab arrives that summer, running webos 3.1 with full HTML5 and Flash compatibility, and the Synergy API team pounding the pavement has paid off. Strong incentive programs and enhancements to the core apps give popular social networking sites a pre-built messaging, audio, photo and video sharing platform for their users to connect their webos devices to without needing apps! The introduction of Synergy Springboard allows content providers to customize the look and feel of their interface, while still giving users a familiar experience switching between apps. HTC releases the first webos Pro device - a new line of devices made by 3rd party manufacturers - the HTC One W. webos is able to secure a strong third place ranking behind Anrdoid, as Apple continues to innovate and finally figure out multitasking.

edit... and then i wake up.
    that needs a round of applause, then when i wake up like you, i weep uncontrollably like a baby.

makes me want to punch an effigy of <Leo> as well.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/24/2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Offensive wording changed
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    thanks for sharing this article. I always enjoy a few more public kicks to HP's groin for their blunder. heh

i'm pretty sure that "digital signage" is what we're seeing pop up in advertising everywhere:

- the menu boards at the fast food restaurants, are now digital screens
    - the standing ad boards in your local mall hallways are now digital screens
    - the billboards along the interstates and highways are being replaced with huge digital screens

these signs no longer require "manual labor" to update them. the new media is sent electronically.

now, billboards can host multiple ads, instead of just one (or 3, as some mechanical billboards used to rotate an array of three-sided strips)

i have one of these digital billboards about a quarter mile from my apt. it hosts at least 5 ads that repeat their cycle for the line of cars waiting at that traffic light.

and digital signage in fast food restaurants could be updated from a corporate parent office, rather than by the local mgmt.

Hollywood eliminates the expense of printing and shipping the latest "Now Playing" and "Coming Soon" posters; as theatres would instead mount a few digital signs, and the latest movie promos are downloaded.

of course, digital signage is commonly seen in airport terminals displaying flight info.

I don't doubt that LG would love to replace every "analog" (printed/painted metal/paper etc) sign or ad with one of their digital LED screens that can receive media updates 'over the air'. Most likely a lot more money to be made in that industry than in the cellular handset market.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/24/2013 at 01:45 PM.
    I got a mailer last week from HP, wanting me to check out their new Slate tablet.

I tossed it out but I thought long and hard about returning it to them with a note: "I'll never buy another tablet from you unless it runs webOS." in Sharpie.

I still love my Touchpad. It's been flawless ever since the fire sale.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I hope the simple minded "HP dropped WebOS because it didn't sell" morons read that.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    makes me want to punch an effigy of <Leo> as well.
    Here you go then, everybody: A GIF of our beloved former HP CEO. Have you ever seen him smile? I mean... really smile?

The most epic of webOS Nation trolls. Probably never set foot on these forums, yet gets 'em everyday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    geekpeter likes this.
    Has anyone seen the new devices coming from stupid HP, loaded with Android operating system (the all in one 21-inch computer) that the company announced today ....all I'm going to say what a real shame and more embarrassing is the position that blonzilla (A.K.A Mrs. Whitman) taking with the new marriage with Google's Android OS.

Instead of supporting an operating system like WebOS(which they owned without paying Google a cent or money) building something revolutionary like HP Printers running on WebOS (with Touch-to-Share to wirelessly print documents), PC loaded and powered by WebOS, tablets, mobile cell Phones. Noooo!!! that was too hard for HP cause they stupid and they cant seem to comprehend what is innovation is really about, instead they decide to become the typical "follow the leader"" kind of company instead of "being the leaders" in mobile market with WebOS.

Just real shameful to be fair, what an opportunity and a waste HP really was, now WebOS gets tossed like a rag doll to LG an appliance company that is slowly showing its color and it appear that LG truly does not understand the meaning of owning WebOS really is...instead of truly make it shine they continue to release those silly smartphones of "Optimus" loaded up with Android and each iteration of the "Optimus" line of smartphones with a letter of an alphabet(either Pro or F) with a numbe( 7 or 9) next to it....like if doing that its going to make them sale them off the shelves like hotcakes.... Make a WebOS phone LG not a television
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Well, I think we all know what kind of company HP is. We all discussed it in the full how bad things went with WebOs under HPs guidance. I think it's time for us to quit crying into our beer-glasses over it.
    For me it's still fun to read and write here in the forum, I still have my TP in use. My phone is a Samsung GS3, and while it's not WebOS, it's ok so far (and I can play Ingress )
    I am curious about iOS 7 and as my girlfriend still has her iPhone, I might see it soon.

So ... yes, thinking about WebOS brings a lot of anger and sad feelings, but things are as they are. No point of lingering with the dead horse longer than necessary.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    ananimus likes this.