Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    this is just my speculation...

    So we're back in 2010.
    Palm is struggling and needs a large company to buy them.
    Amazon buys Palm.
    If Amazon had done this and made the Kindle Fire first generation powered by webOS and ditched the App Catalog and replaced it with the Amazon Appstore, and priced it at 200$, do you guys think webOS would've survived?
  2. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    this is just my speculation...

    So we're back in 2010.
    Palm is struggling and needs a large company to buy them.
    Amazon buys Palm.
    If Amazon had done this and made the Kindle Fire first generation powered by webOS and ditched the App Catalog and replaced it with the Amazon Appstore, and priced it at 200$, do you guys think webOS would've survived?
    No,
    Why? Amazon is no software developer. Buying WebOS would not helped the cause.
    I think you can find a bunch of threads suggesting amazon. Read some of them.

    I love this OS and like to see it prosper.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    xortenterprises likes this.
  3. #3  
    Any company at that time that would have sold a tablet at or under $200 would have been successful. Look at the touchpad firesale..

    HPs issue was thinking it could get the price of an iPad at start, except the first tablet (iPad) did that already and grew their user base. If you are #2 behind a great product, the only thing that wins is price. If they sold the touchpad for $200 they would probably still own webos and have had a few products in the market by now...just my $0.02.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  4. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    No,
    Why? Amazon is no software developer. Buying WebOS would not helped the cause.
    I think you can find a bunch of threads suggesting amazon. Read some of them.

    I love this OS and like to see it prosper.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    First off, for you to say that 'Amazon is no software developer' is totally wrong. Have you bothered using a Kindle Fire recently? it doesn't look or act anything like a standard Android tablet. Why? Because Amazon has fully customized the platform into what THEY want. I'm sure they could have eventually done the same with webOS, especially using their own hardware.

    The general population doesn't care what it's running so long as it 'just works' and webOS had this in spades. Sure it lacked more specific apps but with Amazon backing the platform with their mega entertainment deals it would have been a force on par with the iTunes library from Apple, the hardware to compete with Android and the 'extras' to take on other platforms too.

    If you love the OS and want to see it prosper how do you feel about the current state of the software? (i.e. It's a dead end) If you truly loved webOS and wanted to see it prosper then obviously in hindsight Amazon, HTC or even Apple purchasing it would have been better than HP.

    Really your argument makes no sense at all. I suggest you re-read the history of the platform you claim to want to succeed.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    [...]

    If you love the OS and want to see it prosper how do you feel about the current state of the software? (i.e. It's a dead end) If you truly loved webOS and wanted to see it prosper then obviously in hindsight Amazon, HTC or even Apple purchasing it would have been better than HP.

    Really your argument makes no sense at all. I suggest you re-read the history of the platform you claim to want to succeed.
    Apple? Really?

    I really doubt Apple would have allowed a new acquisition (webOS) to cannibalize their flagship product. There's too much pride in that company. Most likely they would have taken the patents and engineers, then simply shut down what would be left of Palm.
    RumoredNow and vgg like this.
  6. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Apple? Really?

    I really doubt Apple would have allowed a new acquisition (webOS) to cannibalize their flagship product. There's too much pride in that company. Most likely they would have taken the patents and engineers, then simply shut down what would be left of Palm.
    How is that different from what HP did exactly?

    They have:

    - No engineers
    - Sold the patents
    - No hardware
    - Gave the software away
    - Ignored the advice of Jon and other Palm leadership while shoving them out the door

    At least Apple might have integrated the IDEAS behind webOS into iOS. HP simply gave up. I know which option I would prefer.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  7. #7  
    One minor note... it wasn't HP giving up per se, but Leo Apotheker who, in a lone-wolf move, tried to change HP's focus to what HE wanted in a single swipe. Articles after the fact talk about the fact that Leo, who's history is in enterprise software, wanted to ditch everything HP had and make it an enterprise/cloud-based company. He tried to lop off the whole hardware division at the same time as webOS. He had no approval, and the move cost the company billions of dollars in not only lost investments, but lost revenue since then.

    The only reason I point this out is that so many people think HP as a company killed webOS. Only one man holds that bloody axe. That's why it's called the Apotholypse.
    namgod likes this.
  8. #8  
    Amazon did look into buying WebOS...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  9. #9  
    What if BP bought Palm? One letter could make all the difference
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Amazon did look into buying WebOS...
    Yes, but the question is what would have happened if Amazon had actually followed through with it - not if they had looked at purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    What if BP bought Palm? One letter could make all the difference
    Or... keeping with the 2 letters... what about DQ?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    One minor note... it wasn't HP giving up per se, but Leo Apotheker who, in a lone-wolf move, tried to change HP's focus to what HE wanted in a single swipe. Articles after the fact talk about the fact that Leo, who's history is in enterprise software, wanted to ditch everything HP had and make it an enterprise/cloud-based company. He tried to lop off the whole hardware division at the same time as webOS. He had no approval, and the move cost the company billions of dollars in not only lost investments, but lost revenue since then.

    The only reason I point this out is that so many people think HP as a company killed webOS. Only one man holds that bloody axe. That's why it's called the Apotholypse.
    Apothekar - I believe could not make major decisions without the support of the board, so the board must be blamed for the mistakes.. those mistakes show how inept the board is , lack of vision, foresight, and purpose. They're just happy politiking internally and taking home their annual board fees without doing anything. You see Apothekar was hired by the board without an actual face-to-face interview. There ought to be better candidates out there but I believe the board just wanted another scapegoat to take the place - cause they 'fired' Hurd who was had his plans for HP and knew what he was doing with the company. Probably some on the board didn't like him..got him fired...and needed someone to steer the HP whale...and didn't want to take responsibility for any further mistakes so needed to hire a scapegoat...

    Anyway it's MOOT how, whether it be Amazon, Apple, or whoever who was interested in buying Palm. Fact is HP bought it, messed up the products, priced and positioned the products wrongly, and canned the brand prematurely.
    Right now - if we can only engage LG effectively to understand their plans. With the information at least those Webos users can 'hold on' to their pres waiting for the new products if any within the 'coming months' rather than wait in limbo. Some information is better then radio silence.
    geekpeter likes this.
  12. #12  
    i doubt if amazon had aquired webOS that they would allow it to remain a homebrew'able OS, and they would likely want to enforce their commercial eco-system on you, while not bad in some way it could be annoying.

    we would still have had an app shortage issue however.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  13. #13  
    I'm tired of the what-if game. It's full of wishful thinking and doesn't generate anything positive. We are where we are, and must go on from here.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm tired of the what-if game. It's full of wishful thinking and doesn't generate anything positive. We are where we are, and must go on from here.
    True enough... The ball is in Ports' court... or Lg's...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Apple? Really?

    I really doubt Apple would have allowed a new acquisition (webOS) to cannibalize their flagship product. There's too much pride in that company. Most likely they would have taken the patents and engineers, then simply shut down what would be left of Palm.
    He is right the only thing apple would have used was the multitasking UI and the patents to use against android.
    Remy X likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm tired of the what-if game. It's full of wishful thinking and doesn't generate anything positive. We are where we are, and must go on from here.
    It's not like there's anything else we could do.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i doubt if amazon had aquired webOS that they would allow it to remain a homebrew'able OS, and they would likely want to enforce their commercial eco-system on you, while not bad in some way it could be annoying.

    we would still have had an app shortage issue however.
    I doubt we would have the app issue. I own a first generation Kindle Fire and it has almost every app the Google Play Store has. (Almost.)
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    No,
    Why? Amazon is no software developer. Buying WebOS would not helped the cause.
    I think you can find a bunch of threads suggesting amazon. Read some of them.

    I love this OS and like to see it prosper.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Amazon is no software developer." Lol doesn't common sense tell you that they would own the PALM team, and the Palm team does software developing? Lol.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    this is just my speculation...

    So we're back in 2010.
    Palm is struggling and needs a large company to buy them.
    Amazon buys Palm.
    If Amazon had done this and made the Kindle Fire first generation powered by webOS and ditched the App Catalog and replaced it with the Amazon Appstore, and priced it at 200$, do you guys think webOS would've survived?
    WebOS needed a big company which wanted an option to their Android phones, Samsung would have the cash to
    Do this and webOS is better than their bada and Tizen systems, Amazon would have failed too, but I think its too late now, and webOS will survive in the hands of members with the hardware still operating, my Touchpad and pre3 still going and have new spares,
    Its a shame HP screwed it up and other manufacturers are cherry picking bits of webOS, to use in their systems,
    WebOS kind of lives on?,
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm tired of the what-if game. It's full of wishful thinking and doesn't generate anything positive. We are where we are, and must go on from here.
    Soooo ... what if we stop with the what-if game? *sniggers*
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11/21/2011, 09:20 PM
  2. if amazon.com buys webOS I want the amazon market
    By mrdosback in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10/08/2011, 10:40 PM
  3. If Amazon buys webOS do you think Ruby will leave HP and got to Amazon?
    By ilovedessert in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10/07/2011, 03:24 PM
  4. who bought from amazon? need help on finding PIN
    By joshwithachance in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11/20/2009, 07:50 PM
  5. Bought on Handspring/return&rebuy amazon?
    By mgauss in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10/25/2002, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions