View Poll Results: Will they fix it before the deadline? Or at all?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 31.48%
  • No

15 27.78%
  • Maybe

22 40.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    Being kept in the dark, with no official statements being made, i personally am starting to wonder whether it would make more sense to make a back up of my Touchpad and start logging (and later reverse-engineering) the Palm Profile sync traffic.

I can't say i'm qualified or have any experience in this particular area, but it's starting to look like a "now or never" situation. HP doesn't inspire confidence, and time obviously keeps ticking.

So my goal is to find out what a "blank" profile looks like, for each OS version (1.4, 2.x, 3.0.5) and be able to recreate the basic communication sequence, with my laptop acting as a proxy.

I'm not trying to be everybody's hero or anything, i'm just feeling a bit pessimistic at this point.

In the past, i've had thoughts about using an existing Palm Profile to host a ported Open webOS device, unofficially and maybe against license (but who would know or care?). Now, what if that it may be the other way around, we may end up having to re-create the cloud services for our original Palm devices to continue using them? Who knows.... but it may be easier to do this now than after the services presumably go dark...

Update - June 06 '13:

Last edited by Remy X; 06/06/2013 at 04:38 PM.
    bradmeister1 likes this.
    Alternatively, just look at the source code for Impostah.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    xandros9 and Remy X like this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Rod!

That would help tremendously in putting together the "webOS backup router" (which is an idea of mine and not really a project as of yet). Basically a WiFi router running OpenWRT with a 32GB flash drive, with a script that would allow it to replace or supplement the existing Palm Profile servers.

I currently don't have the hardware on hand, but if anyone likes the idea, they are free to attempt it...
    I'm solidly in the "maybe" category. Semi-official word is that it is being worked on... However, there may be a hatchet-man lurking in the corporate structure waiting to block certificate roll out. HP's plans and ideas for that server space are completely unknown to us.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    geekpeter likes this.
    'Little Bird' whispered Cert. renewal via HP App. Cat. before expiry date.. so I voted 'Yes'!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    bradmeister1 likes this.
    Not sure if this list means anything, anymore, but according to this link: HP is still committed to supporting a wide range of webOS devices. If they don't resolve the impending cert disaster, I wonder if they'll remove this page from their site?

Current and recent products. You can expect to be eligible for the full range of HP consumer support services and channels for your region.

TouchPad
    • Unlocked Wi-fi

Veer
    • AT&T
    • O2

Pre 3
    • Unlocked - Europe

Pre 2
    • Verizon
    • Rogers
    • SFR
    • Unlocked - North America
    • Unlocked - Europe
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Not sure if this list means anything, anymore, but according to this link: HP is still committed to supporting a wide range of webOS devices. If they don't resolve the impending cert disaster, I wonder if they'll remove this page from their site?
    Of course, the document is undated (2012 in HTML source & (c) notice?) and it's possible HP haven't bothered to update it, but it's an encouraging sign. I clicked 'Maybe', though I'm inclined to be positive. Of course, if a fix is in the works, why can't HP just SAY so?!?

Is it possible the PRPRPR $department$ $used$ $to$ $write$ $scripts$ $for$ $soap$ $operas$? ;-)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    HP said a lot of things. HP even said webOS was a marathon. Just didn't mention it was an extremely short one.
    I'm pretty confident they won't. I'm an optimistic pessimist today. I forget how I voted, but it was probably no.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    HP said a lot of things. HP even said webOS was a marathon. Just didn't mention it was an extremely short one.
    Well, Pheippides, the first ever runner (after the battle of Marathon) broke down and died after delivering his message. So, I do see parallels. HP's stock broke down as well after their decision to scrap WebOS devices
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Whew! Now I can continue to lament the slow demise of webOS without worrying about the demise...of...um...
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I'm replying now: yes!!

PS: I never lose!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    ananimus likes this.
    Updated catalog app on both touchpad and phone. Eastern USA.

US Robotics Palm Pilot with 2MB memory upgrade --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Handspring Visor Platinum --> Palm Tungsten T3 --> Palm Treo 680 --> Pre2 --> Touchpad (10 weeks 1 day 23 hours from order to receipt)
    HP you proved me wrong, i thought they'll fix it in the coming months after July
    *phew* I am glad I didn't bet on that one. I would have lost.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I'd like to switch my cynical "maybe" to a "yes," please!

(Thanks, HPalm!)
    I was the first YES voter here - and I was right Thanks HP !
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I was the first YES voter here - and I was right Thanks HP !
    And I was a NO. I honestly thought they would leave it to the community to fix it themselves.

I'm glad I was proved wrong but still annoyed that the doctoring process is going to be such a mess from here on in. It's about time they bent the rules and allowed meta-doctored images to be made available, the tech savy on here won't have a problem using meta-doctor (I did it myself with my old Pre- to get it to 2.1) but the ordinary users (assuming there are still some) definitely won't be doing that and they are the ones that are likely to also have trouble switching the date etc to run the old doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    It's about time they bent the rules and allowed meta-doctored images to be made available,
    the ordinary users (assuming there are still some) definitely won't be doing that and they are the ones that are likely to also have trouble switching the date etc to run the old doctor.
    If HP provided new doctor images then this would help ordinary users already, right ?
    If true then HP could still do this ..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast