Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not everyone thinks of this as a 'monumental change' perhaps. This has been coming for a while and with nearly zero news about webOS in months, MN will concentrate on the active sites. Yeah, it sucks that the Apotholypse has caused so much long-term damage, but until some news starts happening the link is the only thing being removed. There won't be any new stories on the front page if there aren't any new stories to write about, but these forums are being kept around and being kept alive and supported.
    Instead of taking WebOS out of the top bar you could have had a "Other" dropdown where WebOS, Symbian, PalmOS and other "less-focused" OS could be found. Just taking every link away is just wrong.

//Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post
    Instead of taking WebOS out of the top bar you could have had a "Other" dropdown where WebOS, Symbian, PalmOS and other "less-focused" OS could be found. Just taking every link away is just wrong.

//Dennis
    This is what I have been thinking. Not PalmOS and Symbian per say but Have a section labeled other OSs and Have someone Cover news from FireFox OS, Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch, Tizen and webOS. I think this would Be good, MN would get increased traffic from other OS savvy people and If they get enough traffic from one OS in that group they could Add that specific OS up on the bar. I would not be offended by grouping us with other less popular operating systems. I think this would be win win.

(NO offense to PalmOS and Symbian fans, Those Operating Systems are closed sourced and no longer under develpment so there popularity will only decrease. and PS, I'm a fan of both Symbian and PalmOS.)
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    This is what I have been thinking. Not PalmOS and Symbian per say but Have a section labeled other OSs and Have someone Cover news from FireFox OS, Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch, Tizen and webOS. I think this would Be good, MN would get increased traffic from other OS savvy people and If they get enough traffic from one OS in that group they could Add that specific OS up on the bar. I would not be offended by grouping us with other less popular operating systems. I think this would be win win.
    Its been suggested

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    dsimonse and MartinH@webos like this.
    If you absolutely need a link to Webos, there is one at the top of this page:

treocentral.com >> Your #1 resource for the Treo Smartphone
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    I seem to have a knack for getting on to the bandwagon of innovative technology and products that for various reasons end up losing out to other (often lesser) alternatives.

- OS/2
    - Saab cars
    - webOS

But, I still enjoy their design and features, whether others do or not.
    you forgot about the Amiga
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimonse View Post

//Dennis
    Start a poll with those options: Bring back webOS, Leave it as is, Add a drop down for everything else.

Trouble, is everyone might vote for option 1 and you'll be out of luck! Can you make a poll with just one option and count the votes? If not, use the last two.

I'd like to see Symbian & PalmOS included as the former still has a user base and because I expect the Treo 180g that's still on my desk and still working, to continue functioning after we have all perished and insects rule the Earth... as long as I can find a reliable source of batteries.... :-(
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I also like MeeGo.
    looked at the webOS jobs on lgwebos (i got to it by going to openwebos.org) and saw that several posted in May asked for experience in mobile...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

(NO offense to PalmOS and Symbian fans, Those Operating Systems are closed sourced and no longer under develpment so there popularity will only decrease. and PS, I'm a fan of both Symbian and PalmOS.)
    They tried to stir interest and discussion in emerging mobile OS choices over here: http://forums.mobilenations.com/

Members were informed at every Mobile Nations site. Few joined, even fewer actually contributed much beyond, "Cool. Hi." Now it seems to be getting repurposed into a TM13 venue...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    It was sad to see an innovative operating system like webOS fade away. But it happened. At the end of the day, it's in Mobile Nations' best interest to point people toward thriving communities. There's no sense in featuring sites with no news and dead-end ecosystems. There's also no sense in ragging on MN, because it's amazing they've kept the site going for as long as they have.

So, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    I seem to have a knack for getting on to the bandwagon of innovative technology and products that for various reasons end up losing out to other (often lesser) alternatives.

- OS/2
    - Saab cars
    - webOS

But, I still enjoy their design and features, whether others do or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    Yet, all of them are not dead at all. OS/2 is still used worldwide on a lot of ATMs, I still see at least 1 Saab car every day and they're still producing, webOS is stagnating but the community on here is still very active+active developers+possible new future on TV's and AmigaOS is still being developed as well. In fact, 4.2 is coming this year and there's a new high-end Amiga (the X1000) and stuff. Lost out? Yes. Dead? Most certainly not. OS/2 is the only that's theoratically dead but the other 3 aren't dead at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Anyway I don't understand why the link was removed, it was more work to kill it, than just leave it where it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    how is keeping a link in place effort? Lol. Or, how is it bad business to keep a link in place?
    As a popular blog series, it seems to me that keeping a site actively linked is an obligation. Not just regular traffic and maintenance, but also having that new material, upgrades to stay current with whatever format they're using on the others, and surely lots of other little things I'm not thinking of.

If they don't, that's unprofessional and hurts the reputation of all the other pages that the weakest site is linked to. So yeah, at the end of the day, if they looked at it and said, "We can't generate enough revenue with this to cover full upkeep anymore," then how can we ask them to do it anyway?

This is why I teasingly wished them success "if only to keep the lights on here." If they're doing good business they can leave up the old websites and pay for that traffic; great! But if staying linked hurts them globally that could mean MN slides to the point that everybody loses. All that's changed is how they market the websites to go with the times while still supporting the readers and communities as best they can. So yes, that seems like a simple, gracious, and elegant solution to me!

The idea of a hub page on "Other OSes" is neat, but as pointed out already, that was suggested and sounds like it didn't go anywhere. :-/
    Relax... after the the LG laucher the smartphone called "LG Palm" (with Open webOS), the Webos Nation gonna back...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Someone actually started a forum called LGwebOS.com...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Someone actually started a forum called LG<...>OS.com...
    Hmmm...

Seems this is their 3rd forum name.

Let's G0 <...>OS since 27th May, 2013
    Formerly Open <...>OS Forums 05th February, 2012
    Started as <...>OS Dummies 23rd August, 2011
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Everyone here is painfully aware that WebOS is no longer part of the mobile operating system discussion. However, removing the link was a poor choice. That small bit of section of screen space shows the the webosnation users they ares till welcome here. Im sure, from a web statistics point of view, it was rarely used. Sometimes numbers are misleading.

having Webos excluded from the Talkmobile video was appropiate. Leaving Webosnation off the list of choices druing the TalkMobile registrations was not. (the chooice to note which site forum you are part of) As customer's of the site, we should have a chance properly represent ourselves.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    petbull likes this.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I'm going to repeat what a bunch of others wrote above. Yes, we all love WebOS. Some of us are more diehard than others (as someone who retired my dying WebOS device, I didn't earn the diehard creds.).

But, the fact remains: due to events neither we nor Mobile Nations could control, WebOS is no longer relevant in the Mobile industry in 2013. Those of us who care, also cared back in 2009/2010. I sincerely doubt there's much in the way of new interest.

So, a link was taken down. So, money isn't being spent to write lots of new articles or include WebOS in videoblogs or new projects. That's business -- frankly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Credit where credit's due: Mobile Nations & Derek -- thank-you for keeping the site & the forums alive. I may not visit as often anymore, but, I appreciate the fact that it's here - and likely to be kept alive for a while (if treocentral is any indication).
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Hey, webOS posts are no longer considered part of Global Posts on the other sites.

We are adrift at sea, with no shared history as part of our communal bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hey, webOS posts are no longer considered part of Global Posts on the other sites.

We are adrift at sea, with no shared history as part of our communal bond.
    You have to be kidding! Any posts from a passport should should be counted. :angry:
  20.    #100  
    Is this for real?

If so, we shouldn't have to put up with various "forum enhancements" of dubious value...

Hey! ...bring back the old style reputation stats! We shouldn't have to wait for the snail paced ajax popup...

And besides, this change has made "thanks" largely meaningless, if no-one can tell that anyone has been thanked until their name makes it to the "top thanked" roster...

Sorry if this is becoming a rant, but if we are being spun off, we shouldn't have to put up with crap for the sake of uniformity
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast