Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 3 Post By briest
  • 1 Post By ka1
  1.    #1  
    ok, so bad bit of luck lately (and I know I'm lucky to have so many devices, so I shouldn't complain, but still)

First I lost my kindle (the cheap one, so not too bad, but still)...

Then daughter spills water on my launch-day Touchpad (family touchpad), strong sentimental value, and part of screen then begins to look off-color, so I put it in ziplock with some drying pellets, and give family my 4G ATT Touchpad to use in meantime... This is the device I use to surf the web the majority of time.

After a week (about a week ago), I take the launch -day touchpad out of bag, reboot, but screen still looks bad. Ok, I give up, sucks to be them, and swap back Touchpads, and let family use the day 1 touchpad again, while I reclaim the 4G one...

And misplace it...

It is driving me nuts.

Is there any way to see when the last time it sync'd? Where? If it is lost or stolen, I can give up, and replace. But if it is in my house somewhere, then I am going to go crazy. I've looked at my router, but can't see any device that is obviously the touchpad (there are about 2 or 3 dozen)

I'm reduced to browsing on my iPad mini, and it is reminding me just how good the WebOS interface truly is.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    The Touchpad is a no-name, "MAC address"-only device, but you can always set up Wireshark and watch for the HP profile sync traffic..
    Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
    The MAC address should start with 00:1D:FE, you can look for that on your router or run traffic captures via crosshair as Remy X said to look for the sync traffic (assuming the battery is not dead...)
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    If you sync it with some outer calendar, try to create an appointment with alarm - and on given hour try to locate your touchpad by ears
    Remy X, ka1 and HelloNNNewman like this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the great ideas.

The good news - I found it. My son had swiped it (or borrowed it and forgot, perhaps...) and it got buried in his bedroom. Nothing bad in the browser history, so I guess he was sneaking it to play games.

I was so excited to have it back, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The future was bleak for a moment - that touchpad is still my favorite surfing device. The old saying is correct, you don't really know what you have until it is lost... I probably spent an hour yesterday going through App Catalog, Preware feeds, etc. to see if I am up to date.

End result - my touchpads are mine only now, no borrowing. They can use the family one that they spilt water on.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Perfect

...now write down its MAC address before you forget

Beter yet, take a photo of the part that has the serial number. Most stolen items recovered by the police are sold at police auctions because the original owner has no proof the device was theirs, or the police have no way of identifying and notifying the owner who made the claim, because the claim did not include a serial number...
    Last edited by Remy X; 05/15/2013 at 11:39 AM.