Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    I think that LG should with WebOS what HTC does with Sense. Use it as a theme running over android to give the phone a new feel and to add different features. What do you think?
    There's nothing stopping people from building that sort of thing, there is open webOS, of course...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    just because it looks like weboS doesnt mean it would work as well, at its innards is still the clunky android clawing its way out.

we dont need a webos skin over android, we need the core of android hidden iside webOS so we can invisibly run their apps.

thats the "best" solution.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    just because it looks like weboS doesnt mean it would work as well, at its innards is still the clunky android clawing its way out.

we dont need a webos skin over android, we need the core of android hidden iside webOS so we can invisibly run their apps.

Not sure about the "clunky" part. At least I know I have an ancient Xperia X10 with Jelly bean running on it and 384MB of memory, it can actually load web pages properly, whereas my Pre 3 would just go into spin loops loading parts of the page, and then have to reload the entire thing because it ran out of memory.

Memory management has always been my beef with webOS.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Not sure about the "clunky" part. At least I know I have an ancient Xperia X10 with Jelly bean running on it and 384MB of memory, it can actually load web pages properly, whereas my Pre 3 would just go into spin loops loading parts of the page, and then have to reload the entire thing because it ran out of memory.

Memory management has always been my beef with webOS.
    the major "good" part people like about webOS tends to be its carding/multitasking features, you cant just "skin" that into android, id still rather have android guts hidden away underneath webOS and get the best of all i want, the better/smoother/more friendly OS combined with androids app selection.

my pre3 loads webpages just fine, altho it all depends on what webpages ofc and if the webpage in general is being a pita and trying to adjust to whatever os/browser it thinks its detecting, ie: iphone/ipad, desktop, generic browser etc, also its not really the OS's fault for the webpages, ittl be the browser and/or webkit underneath, my old LG Optimus1/P500 loaded with CM10 loads websites quite crap on stock browser and a few others yet its "ok/fine" using opera.
    OK, browser you can blame it on that. But there's no reason the WebAppMgr keeps blowing up in memory usage. That's the core of webOS. There HAS to be some memory management issue there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

OK, browser you can blame it on that. But there's no reason the WebAppMgr keeps blowing up in memory usage. That's the core of webOS. There HAS to be some memory management issue there.
    Memory leaks are very common in things written in C, seeing that most of webOS core is written in C I'm quite sure that's the cause (and might have been addressed in Open already?)

Last edited by Herrie; 04/17/2013 at 04:13 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I think you'd find that the wam leaking issue is probably far less significant in Open, and if it is still there, please feel free to file bugs and/or fix it.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I think you'd find that the wam leaking issue is probably far less significant in Open, and if it is still there, please feel free to file bugs and/or fix it.

I will when I have a phone that could run it....

I think the main problem was the 512MB ram and the part that Qualcomm took from it, so that there was only about 75% of that available for actual use.

I sent Morphis some Huawei D1 Quad kernel bits to look at Looks like all source code for drivers for all Huawei components were released, but my kernel knowledge is too limited to confirm.

It would be great if that's the case, because it would make porting a lot easier when everything is open and available
    i take it then due to the issues some have that a daily automatic reboot is still a good option, i still have mode switcher forcing a reboot at 3am on my pre3, or is it un-noticable in the long run?
    i take it then due to the issues some have that a daily automatic reboot is still a good option, i still have mode switcher forcing a reboot at 3am on my pre3, or is it un-noticable in the long run?
    Yes it would help for sure. JsTop helps as well for garbage collection.

I don't have any such issues on my daily driver which is a Veer. I reboot it very rarely myself, maybe once a month or so.

Sometimes my Veer reboots when I connect it via USB or I need to reboot it manually because BT is stuck (still need to check the logs sometime and see if I can patch the Phone App to sort it...), but for the rest it's rock stable actually and have very little issues with the stability (unlike many people with an Android phone who actually need to do quite some regular reboots).
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

I don't have any such issues on my daily driver which is a Veer. I reboot it very rarely myself, maybe once a month or so.

Sometimes my Veer reboots when I connect it via USB or I need to reboot it manually because BT is stuck (still need to check the logs sometime and see if I can patch the Phone App to sort it...), but for the rest it's rock stable actually and have very little issues with the stability (unlike many people with an Android phone who actually need to do quite some regular reboots).
    ive experienced lockups/reboots once in a blue moon on my pre3, cant even remember what caused them to happen but after just a few times i started doing the reboot thing when reccomended here by others mostly as a "just in case" precaution, other than that my pre3 is looking good.

interestingly enough my pre3 has behaved more/better since removing my hotmail account and leaving my gmail one, only i now have hotmail (now outlook?) forwarding all mail to my gmail account, as the only "problem" i had was hotmail misbehaving and refusing to log in or forgetting my password until i changed it.
  13.    #13  

I agree with you there, after posting this that's what I started thinking, If it were possible to make an Android-Based WebOS that could be essentially Web-OS with the ability to utilize Google Play, that would be perfect. The most intuitive operating system would finally get a worthy App Catalog. But my original idea is still a nice thought, HTC has essentially created their own OS through older version of Sense, its still android, but its not just any android, its an HTC. If LG could do something similar and include cards, just type, and WebOS-Style Stock apps (Messaging, Calander, Web Browser, Etc.) I think that would be good enough for me. Not great but good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

My Pre 3 pretty much reboots on 3 conditions: after I load videos or music, otherwise it won't recognize the new files, or the slider reset, and on the rare occasion it is completely frozen. Though the freezes are becoming more frequent now, I think it's about time to do an annual doctor. Or maybe I should go back to my Veer since it seems to have way less of these issues.

It's just surprising my $50 Veer works way better than my $500 Pre 3...