Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Got Link?
    Apple Spends $10 Million To License Old Palm Device Patents
  4.    #4  
    I don't know why the link ended up like that. I posted a link before. Sorry.

That little icon will take you to the link.
    Three years after M$...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    <link in OP fixed>
    I thought HP (now LG) had the smartphone patent?
    The company in question is ACCESS, who owns Garnet OS (aka Palm OS 5.x IIRC).
    xandros9 likes this.
    No... the Palm Patents stay with Access...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    ACCESS took some stuff when it acquired PalmSource
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    That's a poorly translated one. They are LICENSING it, not acquiring.

Apple Patent Licensing Deal: Palm Patents Licensed for $10 Million | BGR
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    My assessment, someone thought April 11 is a second chance April Fools Day.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    Remy X likes this.
    How Access and PalmOS could be a major competitor to iOS, as stated in the article, is beyond me. Granted, iOS is nothing but a sea of static rectangular icons on a home screen so I assume they're scared that consumers may confuse a Treo for an iPhone. Unless....... Apple is releasing a keyboarded iPhone in the future. Considering SJ thought physical KBs were an eyesore, that would be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    How Access and PalmOS could be a major competitor to iOS, as stated in the article, is beyond me. Granted, iOS is nothing but a sea of static rectangular icons on a home screen so I assume they're scared that consumers may confuse a Treo for an iPhone. Unless....... Apple is releasing a keyboarded iPhone in the future. Considering SJ thought physical KBs were an eyesore, that would be funny.
    theres 3rd party clip on physical keyboards for the iphone, cant remember if they were vert or horizontals.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Considering SJ thought physical KBs were an eyesore, that would be funny.
    Nothing would make me happier than to see Apple do lots of things that Steve would have hated.
    fatclue_98 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    theres 3rd party clip on physical keyboards for the iphone, cant remember if they were vert or horizontals.
    I have one of those bluetooth keyboard cases for my work iPhone. It's a horizontal slider and works quite well. But like all horizontal KBs, it's a PITA because you lose one-handedness. Long live my Centro!!
    Well, this just proves that Jobs, in his conversations threatening Palm (remember that one?), was an *****. To me, it seems they are doing this for a few reasons:

1. As they continue to act like patent trolls, they are trying to sure-up their stance by keeping others from trying to say that Apple violated existing patents by unlawful copying.
    2. Since iOS is as advanced as Garnet, perhaps they themselves are trying to prevent a lawsuit as many of the patents most likely detail the inner workings on how background tasks are handled, which seems quite similar to how Garnet handled them.
    3. Perhaps they received a threat letter and are scrambling to make sure they avoid a lawsuit.
    4. The next iOS version has something that they directly took from Garnet and so need to broker a license agreement to use said feature.

In the end, looks like they took their legal department's advice and got a license deal before it's too late, especially when iOS has many Garnet-like features.
    Maybe this thread, along with the other one, should be merged?

To clear confusion, Access bought PalmSource back in the day, which was the software side of Palm. PalmOne (Palm later on), was the hardware side. So, Access owns the software patents, and Palm/HP/LG owns the hardware patents. However, Palm/HP/LG has a lifetime license agreement for those software patents, and one that is unrestricted.
    Remy X likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast