Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    What do you all make of this item I found when I Googled "What to do with HP Touchpad?"

HP returns to WebOS tablets - Financial and Business News - MENAFN

Seem to good to be true and very odd.
    Me thinks the writer of the article did get a bit confused. I don't think the are doing a webOS tablet, but another Android. I hope I'm wrong, but there is no app development for it right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Me thinks the writer of the article did get a bit confused. I don't think the are doing a webOS tablet, but another Android. I hope I'm wrong, but there is no app development for it right now.
    i dont think that article even hints at new webOS devices, it seems it only mentions why they stopped and that they are rollign ahead with their android/windows based tablet.

its a very misleading title on his report considering it doesnt even hint at anything like that when you read the article in full.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    HI all,

It's been a long, long time since I posted here and I hope this finds all of you well.

I don't know what to make of the following article, as who knows how accurate it is......it will be very interestng to see if there is any truth to any of this.

HP returns to WebOS tablets

http://www.menafn.com/menafn/a24d0b5...blets?src=main

Mar 28, 2013 (Menafn - Bangkok Post - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's biggest computer maker, has resumed development of WebOS-based tablets in Thailand to capitalise on the high-growth segment and boost revenue.

WebOS is a Linux-based operating system developed by Palm and later acquired by HP and then LG Electronics.

HP terminated its WebOS TouchPad tablet in 2011 due to slow sales. The US giant plans to launch its Android-based consumer tablet, the Slate 7, in Thailand by September at US169.

The balance of the article can be found at the aforementioned link. I hope it's true...who knows....

Take care & be well,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
    HI all,

It's been a long, long time since I posted here and I hope this finds all of you well.

I don't know what to make of the following article, as who knows how accurate it is......it will be very interesting to see if there is any truth to any of this.

Mar 28, 2013 (Menafn - Bangkok Post - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's biggest computer maker, has resumed development of WebOS-based tablets in Thailand to capitalise on the high-growth segment and boost revenue.

WebOS is a Linux-based operating system developed by Palm and later acquired by HP and then LG Electronics.

HP terminated its WebOS TouchPad tablet in 2011 due to slow sales. The US giant plans to launch its Android-based consumer tablet, the Slate 7, in Thailand by September at US169.

The balance of the article can be found at the aforementioned link. I hope it's true...who knows....

Take care & be well,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
    HI all,

I don't know what to make of the following article, as who knows how accurate it is......it will be very interesting to see if there is any truth to any of this.

[SIZE]HP returns to WebOS tablets

[FONT]

Take care & be well,

Jay
    Hi,

Doesn't sound like they are targetting consumers though, seems more like business :-(

Barry

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I mean would it be Touch Pads or another device running Open WebOS
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Interesting.

I guess they focus on business use for one simple reason: Size of app market is less important for that segment.
    Companies don't even want a zillion games etc... on the business tablets. They need a handful of features like Exchange compatibility, VPN, etc...

Everything else is mostly inhouse software or just browser based front-end to company database anyway.

Possibly true.

And it could be that they simply produce TPs again - to have super-cheap production runs.
    OTOH - they could use any other tablet they already designed for W8 or Android - not sure how much it would actually save - if any - to produce TPs.

Either way- doesn't matter much to us if they sell a few 10 k Tablets in Thailand (unles the esteemed reader of this message is from Thailand of course :-) ).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    If you follow the source of the MENAFN article, you're going to land at the original article at bangkokpost:
    HP returns to tablets | Bangkok Post: business

Code:
    "Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's biggest computer maker, plans to launch Android-based consumer tablets in Thailand to capitalise on the high-growth segment and boost revenue."
    Maybe it's an error in the MENAFN article? I wouldn't get too excited. Yet. : (
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
    If you follow the source of the MENAFN article, you're going to land at the original article at bangkokpost:
    HP returns to tablets | Bangkok Post: business

Code:
    "Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's biggest computer maker, plans to launch Android-based consumer tablets in Thailand to capitalise on the high-growth segment and boost revenue."
    Maybe it's an error in the MENAFN article? I wouldn't get too excited. Yet. : (
    On Twitter Enda Mcgrath did mention it is circa 2010 components and Open webOS would port well, then someone posted, why....

Seems HP/Palm want others to port instead of them doing it themselves....
    Just saw this article:

www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    a bit early for april fools, no?
    Shadowflank likes this.
    Lol It's misleading from the title, maybe they meant android...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    Lol It's misleading from the title, maybe they meant android...
    It's a bit uncertain if they meant android. However in the same paragraph they do make the distinction between android and webOS. It seems quite strange. So strange it could be true.
    Last edited by karstenskov; 03/28/2013 at 07:36 AM.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    I guess they ment Tablets that are based on a Webkit-based OS. There has been a misinterpretation in an other interview, which was held with the boss of ZTE if I remember right. He then said they will produce Tablets with a Web(based)OS ... and it was translated into "WebOS" and all fans went crazy

So keep your shirts on, folks ...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    It does say "Mar 28, 2013 (Menafn - Bangkok Post - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's biggest computer maker, has resumed development of WebOS-based tablets in Thailand to capitalise on the high-growth segment and boost revenue." in the first paragraph, but the rest is about how it dumped webOS and concentrates now on Android.

Not very clear . . .
    geekpeter likes this.
    It's about the meaning of the word "WebOS" ... I don't think they mean our beloved WebOS, but rather a type of mobile OS that is based on a WebKit ...

Not THE WebOS but rather A Web OS ...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    geekpeter likes this.
    It just feels like a mix up between HP and LG. Since HP already sold the people off to LG, where would they get the labour for more webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It just feels like a mix up between HP and LG. Since HP already sold the people off to LG, where would they get the labour for more webOS?
    I am sure hope the report is not false, but as the saying goes...

HP/Palm Do not know what you got til its gone...
    nowhere in there does it mention a webOS device bar the badly worded title, farther down on the quotes it only mentions windows and android tablets.

its not for webos devices its just a badly written article which should say "HP returns to tablets" not "HP returns to webos tablets".
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast