Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree106Likes
    I believe Derek's article last fall concerning LG working on a webOS tv mentioned that LG was writing apps like Netflix etc.

I don't know if those apps would then be able to be ported to some openWebOS mobile device. My guess is no and that LG is assuming an android phone will act as the remote and an android tablet will be able to be mirrored to the webOS tv.

Maybe at some point if the tv takes off, a webOS tablet could exist again but that is highly speculative.

In the meantime the battery on my two touchpads is wearing down. It would be great if someone started a service to replace the batteries.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Newsletters -

Here is the link. Some of the article is plausible but windows phone/nokia is not selling that well. Samsung is probably going via amazon's route. Android but forked into a Samsung ecosystem. That's a lot better of a differentiator than just a skin slapped on vanilla android. An Android fork has to be less work than trying to get webOS back in the land of the living. But LG might be willing to try eventually. I think LG has more commitment into webOS than HP ever could and has more critically more patience than HP. That being said, it's a longshot for webOS mobile devices. If the smart TVs take off, maybe LG will take webOS more seriously. I'm probably in the tv market soon- if the smarttvs aren't much more expensive than regular tvs I would consider them. Although I do have an xbox to add lots of functionality to tv right now.
    RumoredNow and jrb363 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    ...if the smarttvs aren't much more expensive than regular tvs I would consider them. Although I do have an xbox to add lots of functionality to tv right now...
    I've got an XboX 360... Too much of the functionality I want is pay to enable. I've got a Roku. I get loads of free content via that and keep the subscriptions simple - Netflix. What I do not have is a cable or satellite bill. I'm trying to spend the money on hardware, not content so much. I'm of that generation that grew up with TV being free. Cable didn't really hit until I was in my late teens...

But I do want more out of my TV. A richer web-based experience, a full browser, a sanctioned YouTube App and a robust App Store that offers more than what Roku is bringing.

When the rumor first went around about LG using webOS in a smart TV I had already been looking at some other set top box options. I decided I'd wait and see what LG was bringing to market. Then during CES 2013 that all seemed to go away. I started looking at upgrading a set-top box again.

Since LG bought webOS, I'm no longer looking at set-top boxes.

I can't wait to see what LG will bring to market for a webOS powered Smart TV.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I've got an XboX 360... Too much of the functionality I want is pay to enable.
    just like how i got an ipad3 and several android tablets because of people on forums or friends/family telling me the grass was greener the same applied to the xbox360, i got one because lots of people i know mostly had the xbox as opposed to ps3 saying the xbox was better.

Yet when i got an xbox i found even the most simple of thigns required a pay for subscription whereas the same things on the ps3 were free with no discernable difference, having to pay for an xbox subscription to watch netflix which i already pay for is a bit fo a joke tbh, in fact its worse than a joke.

sometimes i wish i didnt listen to others who supposedly know better yet i always seem to fall for it and get what they suggest as well as what i prefer only to find it was a massive let down and i should have just stuck to what i prefer. Honestly does show that some people only know the limited corner of the only things that have tried and little else, yet try and give expert advice.

I'd never suggest an xbox to someone over a ps3, same applies to ipads/android/webOS tablets, there is no "better" device, only what mostly inexperienced sheep suggest based on their own experience. (obviously people like you find on this forum and some others are exempt as they dont really represent the "average" user).
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Nope,
    it's dead as a chicken with its head cut off.
    Still running around... lol
    RumoredNow and jrb363 like this.
    I would say webOS is in an odd transistional period. I think that the period of WebOS Tablets and Smartphones for the near future is gone, although it's not out of the realm of possibility we may see new devices in a few years but that's purely speculation. RIght now the Open Source efforts on the Gnex and Touchpad are what we should focus on and of course the toaster and Tv set (Joking about the toaster) for our ecosystem. I still have no idea what the hell Gram or whatever is left of the GBU is gonna do.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    I would say webOS is in an odd transistional period. I think that the period of WebOS Tablets and Smartphones for the near future is gone, although it's not out of the realm of possibility we may see new devices in a few years but that's purely speculation. RIght now the Open Source efforts on the Gnex and Touchpad are what we should focus on and of course the toaster and Tv set (Joking about the toaster) for our ecosystem. I still have no idea what the hell Gram or whatever is left of the GBU is gonna do.
    give life to talkie the toaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    give life to talkie the toaster.
    I would love to call my friends using a toaster, if it wasn't for the burnt earlobes ...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Preemptive and geekpeter like this.
    I think I saw a toaster that burned in designs...

Then again, an artfully cut and placed bit of tinfoil might do the trick... or might short the toaster, so don't try at home!

Anyhow a webOS toaster (someone on these forums did manage to use weOS to run a toaster) could burn texts and tweets etc. onto your morning toast. For added variety, it could also print a test slice with the logo of who ever owns the OS this month.

Android likes to name it's versions after foodstuffs. Perhaps future webOS versions (What do you mean, "There won't be any." ?) could be named after 'toastable' products. Can't wait for webOS 4.0, "pop-tart".

WebOS isn't dead. It's just being warmed-over,

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think I saw a toaster that burned in designs...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Preemptive and geekpeter like this.
    Talking about printing toasters, I wonder how hot thermal printer heads get. The toaster finishes toasting, turns off its elements, and starts up the the thermal printing head while a motor slides the toast out. But really, shouldn't you be eating your food, rather than reading it?

Might I add it's a bit inefficient, since you could maybe fit only two tweets on each piece of toast? I don't think half a dozen tweets is enough. You either starve your mind of tweets or gorge yourself on bread.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Yes, much as we want new webOS hardware, is it worth that, "bloated-on-bread" feeling as you munch your way through the mornings messages?

Some links to examples:

Pangea Brands &mdash; ProToast
    Amazon.com: Spiderman Toaster "Amazon Spiderman" Design: Sports & Outdoors
    Yes! It's the Darth Vader breakfast toaster ? The Register
    PaRappa the Rapper Printing Toaster | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    bookofjoe: Printing Toaster

So, OK I wasn't being very serious... I'm still not, but here's an idea:
    1. Commission a toaster (very low production run!) maybe from here:
    Logo Toaster (AT-688) - China Logo Toaster, Slide Toaster
    -it's just a matter of changing plates after all.

2. Send a handful off to relevant bigwigs at LG

3. Sell the rest with a bit of markup to fans on this site - new webOS hardware!

4 Profit! Sent to the homebrew developers of course!

Here's some stuff that isn't actually in production:
    Toaster Downloads Content from the Web and Prints them on your Bread | Cartridge Save Blog
    Pixel Printing Toasters - The Image Toaster by Scott van Haastrecht Combines the News with Breakfast (VIDEO)
    ZUSE

The original webOS toaster:
    The webOS Toaster is real | webOS Nation
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Might I add it's a bit inefficient, since you could maybe fit only two tweets on each piece of toast? I don't think half a dozen tweets is enough. You either starve your mind of tweets or gorge yourself on bread.
    i have to admit tho id be a bit freaked if people knew you had such a toaster so deliberatly started sending you tweets with the words.

IM COMING FOR YOU!!!!

or other stalker/killer related messages as your sat down for a nice cuppa and some toast only to be met with death threats on your toast
    Wow... I see what I brought with a toaster joke lol
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Wow... I see what I brought with a toaster joke lol
    you reap what you toast.

i refer to Psalm 23

"The LORD is my toaster, I shall not be in want. He makes me toast in breaded pastures, he leads me beside quiet croissants, he bakes my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of toast, I will fear no pastry, for you are with me; your bread knife and your rolling pin, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the crusts of my enemies. You anoint my head with cooking oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and bread will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the baker forever."
    Last edited by geekpeter; 03/23/2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Uhmmmmm I actually have one of those that toasts a Dallas Cowboys star into the toast... mine is black though....
    I've got to stop wasting time here! ;-)

But I thought you might like to sneak over to toastercentral.com

The best ever made... from the 1940's!

http://www.toastercentral.com/4sunT20catpage.jpg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234